IGNORED

Right Handed Golf = Lefty Disc Golf - A Completely Unsubstantiated "Theory"

@DiscBallRightyLefty Ok, so help me out here. I’m not a technical wiz as others are but I love learning this side of golf if I can gather some good information. Are you more about improving your disc golf throw or your golf swing? I’ve only played disc golf ( frisbee golf as it was called when I played) a few times. 
Being that I throw a frisbee right handed and play golf left handed I’m not seeing the connection here. I get that the hips are being used rotationally. Skipping rocks, sidearm throwing, forearm tennis strike. But,

13 hours ago, DiscBallRightyLefty said:

The main similarity to me is the lag created by hip and trunk rotation,

Explain please.

12 hours ago, DiscBallRightyLefty said:

The tightening of belly and back while keeping the arms lose also creates resistance in back swing

Again, can you explain this? Is this a feel or did you do a video that you saw this happening? I get you can’t see resistance really, but maybe what you thought became different than before…

Edited by Vinsk

:ping: G25 Driver Stiff :ping: G20 3W, 5W :ping: S55 4-W (aerotech steel fiber 110g shafts) :ping: Tour Wedges 50*, 54*, 58* :nike: Method Putter Floating clubs: :edel: 54* trapper wedge

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

Hey Vin.    Vin: "Are you more about improving your disc golf throw or your golf swing?"   I'm a natural righty everything and have peaked right handed golf swing long ago, not interested in competing anymore righty.   I'm currently obsessed with trying to throw a disc over 300 feet right hand back hand (RHBH)........and playing golf lefty.  I was inspired to play golf lefty when I found I could throw disc LHBH with ease because I competed right hand golf for 54 years.  BTW, I'm a rank beginner lefty golf swing, and that's the joy.   I'm fired up and joyous about the golf swing learning curve,  feel like a kid again.   I play DG with a older guy my age and he can easily throw 400 feet.   Drives me crazy, I think I have the athleticism, but not the form.   I've given up all wheat, started intermittent fasting, working out, throwing every day, come on!  Down 15 lbs, 45 more to go.  Got to do what it takes, but avoid injury.  

Vin: "throw a frisbee right handed and play golf left handed"   The way I see it, if you golf swing right handed, you should be able to throw frisbee left handed.   That was the case for me.   But my dominant hand is right, so all the feel and touch is with my right.   I think you have it correct:  throw left, golf right.      I can't remember if you said you throw a football L or R, but that's the hand you should putt/approach with.   I'm not talking forearm frisbee, I can't do that.  I'm only talking backhand. 

"tightening of belly and back while keeping the arms lose also creates resistance. "

I got that off the youtube videos by my frisbee guru the great slingshotdiscgolf combined with hitting balls both ways on the range.  I refer to my previous post how that helped my GS L and R.   I have years to go on my DG form, but that ssdg video is money.  ssdg has many vids on YT, watch them all, dude.    I might sign up for his paid advanced group cause i've wasted  3 years and 300 ft+ ain't happening.   In his videos he mentions its a year long process of daily work to develop good form.  I'm in, let's go.   One year, 2 years bring it on.     My top three DG gurus on YT are slingshotdiscgolf, loopghost and Scott Stokely.    For golf swing both ways its Mac O Grady and Shawn Clements.

• iacas changed the title to Right Handed Golf = Lefty Disc Golf - A Completely Unsubstantiated "Theory"
  • Administrator

I'll give you some leeway because at least this isn't in the golf section(s) of the site. But seriously, dude…

12 minutes ago, DiscBallRightyLefty said:

Hey Vin.    Vin: "Are you more about improving your disc golf throw or your golf swing?"   I'm a natural righty everything and have peaked right handed golf swing long ago, not interested in competing anymore righty.   I'm currently obsessed with trying to throw a disc over 300 feet right hand back hand (RHBH)........and playing golf lefty.  I was inspired to play golf lefty when I found I could throw disc LHBH with ease because I competed right hand golf for 54 years.  BTW, I'm a rank beginner lefty golf swing, and that's the joy.   I'm fired up and joyous about the golf swing learning curve,  feel like a kid again.   I play DG with a older guy my age and he can easily throw 400 feet.   Drives me crazy, I think I have the athleticism, but not the form.   I've given up all wheat, started intermittent fasting, working out, throwing every day, come on!  Down 15 lbs, 45 more to go.  Got to do what it takes, but avoid injury.

Nothing that answers the questions posed to you.

Vin: "throw a frisbee right handed and play golf left handed"   The way I see it, if you golf swing right handed, you should be able to throw frisbee left handed. That was the case for me.

Except you can't throw over 300 feet, and you can't play golf lefty very well, either. Right? So I have a hard time seeing how it was "the case" for you.

I can't remember if you said you throw a football L or R

If only there was a way to go back and look…

I got that off the youtube videos by my frisbee guru the great slingshotdiscgolf combined with hitting balls both ways on the range.  I refer to my previous post how that helped my GS L and R.   I have years to go on my DG form, but that ssdg video is money.  ssdg has many vids on YT, watch them all, dude.    I might sign up for his paid advanced group cause i've wasted  3 years and 300 ft+ ain't happening.   In his videos he mentions its a year long process of daily work to develop good form.  I'm in, let's go.   One year, 2 years bring it on.     My top three DG gurus on YT are slingshotdiscgolf, loopghost and Scott Stokely.    For golf swing both ways its Mac O Grady and Shawn Clements.

Still out.

Erik J. Barzeski —  I knock a ball. It goes in a gopher hole. 🏌🏼‍♂️
Director of Instruction Golf Evolution • Owner, The Sand Trap .com • AuthorLowest Score Wins
Golf Digest "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17 & "Best in State" 2017-20 • WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019 :edel: :true_linkswear:

Check Out: New Topics | TST Blog | Golf Terms | Instructional Content | Analyzr | LSW | Instructional Droplets

5 minutes ago, iacas said:

Still out.

Same.

Why is it always the people who come on here with new accounts and make claims that they don't back up with facts are also the ones who NEVER utilize the quote functionality and make up their own ways to respond to people if on the off chance they do directly address something.

Driver: :callaway: Rogue Max ST LS
Woods:  :cobra: Darkspeed LS 3Wood/3Hybrid
Irons: :tmade: P770 (4-PW)
Wedges: :callaway: MD3 50   MD5 54 58 degree  
Putter: :odyssey:  White Hot RX #1
Ball: :srixon: Z Star XV

I play golf right handed, I throw a ball right handed, but throwing a frisbee feels more natural throwing lefty. Why? Idk other than the rotation of my body is going in the same direction

Colin P.

@DiscBallRightyLefty Just to note I do this:

Throw, bat, bowl, golf left handed.

Write, frisbee, hammer, tennis right handed.

I just don’t see the frisbee throw as a way to relate to my golf swing. There’s no way in hell I’m gonna try and switch to right handed golf ( as suggested my Shawn Clement) after 40 years of left handed golf.

Maybe I’m wrong, but for example, if I throw my club as far as I can, I wouldn’t make a golf swing to do it. I’d throw it like a forehand frisbee ( with my left arm). So especially envisioning a backhand disc throw has no correlation to me with my golf swing.

Again, I appreciate you ‘quoting’ what you’ve read/heard from those disc golf guys, but I’d like you to explain how it’s changed your golf swing…starting with explaining those two questions I asked previously. 

• Like 1

:ping: G25 Driver Stiff :ping: G20 3W, 5W :ping: S55 4-W (aerotech steel fiber 110g shafts) :ping: Tour Wedges 50*, 54*, 58* :nike: Method Putter Floating clubs: :edel: 54* trapper wedge

1 hour ago, Vinsk said:

There’s no way in hell I’m gonna try and switch to right handed golf ( as suggested my Shawn Clement) after 40 years of left handed golf.

You do know the secret of right handers, yes?  They almost never have hosel issues.  😆

• Funny 1