IGNORED

Best Course in Your City/State

BallCrusher
Note: This thread is 4321 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

I realize you said that PA is huge, but are you nowhere near Merion or Oakmont?

Oakmont and Merion are both private. I took this as courses that anyone could play. (Public, Resort or Semi-Private) But if you are talking private Oakmont and Merion would both be on the list, although I haven't played either.

• Replies 139
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I dont live in nevada but my uncle does and ive played with him there at Angel Park(Summerlin) and ive asked him about the nicest golf courses there and he says shadow creek is John Wyns's course for his super high rollers is that true

Hey Left,

I actually heard it was Cascata (course I mentioned above...) that used to be used strictly by the high-rollers, but it is bought out by Harrah's. Not sure if he is getting another course to replace it or not...
underparnv

That's how I like my golf. A kick in the face. -Ben

Driver: 983E 8.5* w/ stock stiff flex shaftIrons: MP60 - 2 through 9 irons (swap out the 2 iron for my three wood at some courses)Wedges: 588 Chrome - 47* Pitching Wedge, 53* Gap Wedge, 56* Sand Wedge MP-T Black Ni - 60* Lob WedgePutter:.....

Not yet...probably won't get the chance to either. Too much

Unless, of course, the Northern Nevada Golf Association schedules a tournament down there of some sort...be it a State event or USGA qualifier...

underparnv

That's how I like my golf. A kick in the face. -Ben

Driver: 983E 8.5* w/ stock stiff flex shaftIrons: MP60 - 2 through 9 irons (swap out the 2 iron for my three wood at some courses)Wedges: 588 Chrome - 47* Pitching Wedge, 53* Gap Wedge, 56* Sand Wedge MP-T Black Ni - 60* Lob WedgePutter:.....

Because of my business travels, I end up playing way more golf in Ohio than NJ (Ohio has many more courses anyway). That being said, the best public course is Longaberger (I’ve played this beauty 6 times). This year they lowered the greens fees from $125 to $99.
http://www.longabergergolfclub.com

The best private course, take your pick: Inverness, Firestone, NCR (south course), Scioto, or Muirfield (I’ve only played Scioto and NCR).

Driver: Ping K15 10°, Mitsubishi Diamana Blueboard 63g Stiff
Fairway 4-wood: TaylorMade RocketBallz Tour TP 17.5°, Matrix Ozik TP7HD S shaft

Hybrids: Callaway Diablo Edge 3H-4H, Aldila DVS Stiff
Irons: MIURA PP-9003, Dynamic Gold Superlite S300, Sand Wedge: Scratch 8620 56°
Putter: Nike Method Concept Belly 44"
Ball: Bridgestone Tour B330-S

Not to just echo JerseyThursday, but here in Central Ohio ...

The best private has got to be Muirfield Village (the bragging rights alone are worth it).
The best public is Longaberger (beautiful secluded track)
The best private I've played is NCR (South) - Just a great layout.
The best public in greater Columbus (my hood) is Tartan East - Not a bad hole in the mix. Longaberger is only better because of its terrain.

Outside of a dog, a book is man's best friend.
Inside of a dog, it's too dark to read.
--Groucho Marx

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

I reckon this thread probably should have been in the Playgrounds section, but I love the thread anyway.....always love talking courses.

Best St. Louis Public - Tapawingo (there are a couple of great ones across the Mississippi in Illinois such as Annbriar and Gateway National). It's a 27 hole facility along the Meramec River designed by Gary Player just outside of the city. http://www.tapawingogolf.com/
Best St. Louis Private - Bellerive CC. It has hosted several PGA tournaments over the years and will host the BMW Championship this year. I've played it although not since Rees Jones doctored it up to make it "Open-worthy". http://www.bellerivecc.org/Club/Scripts/Home/home.asp

Best Missouri Public - Most say Branson Creek in Branson but I have never played it. http://www.bransoncreekgolf.com/
Best Missouri Private - Certainly Bellerive now that it has been touched up, but clubs in the St. Louis area like Old Warson, St. Albans, Boone Valley and Dalhousie in Cape Girardeau would all get votes.

PS - Shadow Creek was built by Steve Wynn for his high-rolling friends and was very private but became semi-private once MGM Mirage bought out Wynn. I've played it and it was an amazing experience; one of the great courses I've played (and actually worth the money in my humble opinion). Wynn then built the Wynn Golf Club on the old Desert Inn site. I've played this one too, but it can't hold a feather to Shadow (and not worth the money in my opinion).

Hoofer Vantage Bag Carrying:
DRIVER Fusion FT-3 Driver Proforce V2 65 Graphite Stiff
FAIRWAY WOOD G10 4-Wood
HYBRID G10 21 Degree
IRONS MX-25 Irons 3 thru PW Precision Rifle Shafts & Golf Pride GripsWEDGES CG10 56 & 60 Degree WedgesPUTTER 2-Ball SRT BALL ProV1xCLUB ...

i was starting to think my uncle was wrong he was right at some point

In My Edge Bag:
Driver: R7 Draw
3-Wood: Burner
3h,4h: Idea A2
Irons: 5-PW Idea A2Wedges: X-Tour 52, 56, 60Putter: White Hot XGBall: OPB (Other People's Balls)

The best public in greater Columbus (my hood) is Tartan East - Not a bad hole in the mix.

I’ve never heard of Tartan East. I’ll have to check it out.

BTW, I get to play OSU Scarlet Wednesday. I haven’t been there since Nicklaus reworked it a few years ago. I’m looking forward to it.

Driver: Ping K15 10°, Mitsubishi Diamana Blueboard 63g Stiff
Fairway 4-wood: TaylorMade RocketBallz Tour TP 17.5°, Matrix Ozik TP7HD S shaft

Hybrids: Callaway Diablo Edge 3H-4H, Aldila DVS Stiff
Irons: MIURA PP-9003, Dynamic Gold Superlite S300, Sand Wedge: Scratch 8620 56°
Putter: Nike Method Concept Belly 44"
Ball: Bridgestone Tour B330-S

I reckon this thread probably should have been in the Playgrounds section, but I love the thread anyway.....always love talking courses.

me too-- too bad this conversation ain't at a bar...

PS - Shadow Creek was built by Steve Wynn for his high-rolling friends and was

i've heard this as well. definitely good to know for the future.

----------------------------------------------------------------------
Flickr pics from hacking it up at Pebble, Bandon, Pinehurst, Whistling Straits, the Black, Kiawah & more...

Oregon has so many but the best has to be Bandon and Pacific Dunes which I live about 90 minutes from.

Then there is the Bend area. I have family that lives there so I make the two hour trip over the hill to play Black Butte, Aspen Lakes, Quail Run, Widgi Creek, the three Sun River courses (Crosswaters is the best). Plus one of the best in the Bend area is the new public course Juniper.

Then there are the ones I will never get to play, starting with Pronghorn and so many more.

Driver: TaylorMade Burner Superfast  9.5*

3 wood: Callaway X

5 wood: Cobra F/ST Speed LD

Irons: Orlimar HipSteel
Wedges: Vokey 50*, 54*SM, 58*SM

Putter: Scotty Cameron Futura

Ball: ProV1 

Shoes: FootJoy 

Bag: Callaway

Cart: Yamaha Gas

Home course:  Umpqua Golf Resort

Oregon has so many but the best has to be Bandon and Pacific Dunes which I live about 90 minutes from.

You like Widgi better than Lost Tracks? I haven't played Widgi, although I've used it's driving range a number of times. It looks kind of claustrophic with all the trees. And the fairways (at least up front) look pretty narrow.

Then there are the ones I will never get to play, starting with Pronghorn and so many more.

Somebody told me that the Nicklaus course at Pronghorn is open for public play... I don't know if that's true or not.

What's in my bag:
Cleveland Hibore XLS Monster Driver
TourEdge Exotics 2,3,4 hybrid irons
Tommy Armour 845cs Silverbacks 5-PW
Assorted wedges, Ping Scottsdale Anser

Are you serious? Can't bring guests? That sucks!

yeah man.. my dad's old boss is a member there...and i got excited since I have family in that area. last year my dad's like maybe mike can bring us onto Pine Valley.

we spoke to mike and he's like we have to play somewhere else.... member's are told :"don't even think about trying to bring a guest with you to play here." it's a private course that's just as backed up as a muni course...but they maintain it well.. I saw the gate though! hahaha. and baltusrol's about 15 minutes away from my house... i know you're allowed 1 guest, but they have strict rules as to when you can bring them with you. there's about 15 country clubs in my immediate area... and all of em are A**ES! The nicest anyone's ever been to me as being a guest was upper montclair country club (sybase LPGA Open) another good course in jersey: Twisted Dune Atlantic City Country Club Marriot Seaview
DJ Yoshi
Official DJ: Rutgers Football
Boost Mobile Tour
In My Bag
HiBoreXL 9.5 White Board D63 Stiff Exotics CB2 5 Wood, Exotics CB3 3 Wood MP-60 5.5 Flighted Shafts 54 & Cleveland CG-10 60 Newport 2

The reason I do not like Lost Tracks is I was treated badly there one day. It may of been just the person working the pro shop but I did not have a good experience that day and have never been back.
Widgi Creek is fun for me as it is long and tight with lots of trees. I love the sound a driver makes when you are hitting down a tree lined fairway. That whack and a kind of a echo sound. Black Butte Glaze Meadows it the best I have ever found for that.

I will have to ask around if Pronghorn is open to the likes of myself. I think you need to be a guest of a homeowner to play.

The reason I do not like Lost Tracks is I was treated badly there one day. It may of been just the person working the pro shop but I did not have a good experience that day and have never been back.

We spend a long weekend with friends every summer in Bend, and for the last 2 years, my buddy and I have included a round of golf. The first year it was the Resort Course at Eagle Crest and last year it was Lost Tracks... I didn't have a particularly great round score-wise, but I birdied the island par 3 with the railroad car bridge and that made it a round to remember

This year we were going to pick between Juniper, Crooked River Ranch, or River's Edge - Widgi is actually the closest to where we stay, and with your recommend, I'll throw it back in the hopper.

What's in my bag:
Cleveland Hibore XLS Monster Driver
TourEdge Exotics 2,3,4 hybrid irons
Tommy Armour 845cs Silverbacks 5-PW
Assorted wedges, Ping Scottsdale Anser

We spend a long weekend with friends every summer in Bend, and for the last 2 years, my buddy and I have included a round of golf. The first year it was the Resort Course at Eagle Crest and last year it was Lost Tracks... I didn't have a particularly great round score-wise, but I birdied the island par 3 with the railroad car bridge and that made it a round to remember

Crooked River is one of a kind for the views but the lesser of the three you picked as far as quality of golf. Rivers Edge just seemed to hard for me and I do not like teeing off with a iron on par 4 or 5's. Juniper is great. My club has a sister agreement with them so I play free with only a cart fee. If you are looking for a nice place to play that is fairly open and in good condition I would go out to Prineville and play Meadow Lakes. I play there a lot as it is always empty and they have great rates after 2:00pm. I think the last two years I played unlimitied golf there for around $25.00. I got in 36 holes as I was with justo one other person and the course was almost empty. It was hot in the summer but it was great golf. I think it is the best golf in Central Oregon for the money. Lots of good golf for little money. I think my favorite is Quail run in LaPine. Just like Sunriver but alot less money. Nice people also and a very nice open playable course. Not pretentious at all. Have fun and enjoy one of the best places for golf in the US.

In the town/state I work in, TPC Snoqualmie Ridge and Mt Si GC are the choices and would qualify as the "best" in my area. TPC SR is private and tough to get on. Mt Si is a decent public course that provides for an easy round. It rains about 80" per year out here so that makes it kind of challenging! Where I live, Apple Tree and Desert Canyon are tops, IMHO.

Note: This thread is 4321 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!