IGNORED

2023 TST Outing (OH/PA/NJ/NY/WV) - August 26 in Western NY

I've been scanning available tee times a week out at both Hiawatha and En-Joie. It is looking more likely that we could get a morning tee time at Hiawatha, and an afternoon at En-Joie. I suspect En-Joie reserves morning tee times on weekends for members.

Are both @RFKFREAK and @mohearn OK if these end up getting flipped? @RFKFREAK would be most impacted because he's only coming for the Saturday afternoon round. If your heart is set on Hiawatha I'll have a different backup option for Saturday morning and we'll stick to the original plan.

-Chris Brooks

I've blogged about my wanderings since 2003. I love roaming throughout the USA looking for remote public golf courses to play.

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

7 hours ago, Chris Brooks said:

Are both @RFKFREAK and @mohearn OK if these end up getting flipped?

No issues here, Flip away, or change it up, no problem, I appreciate your coordinating efforts.   Too bad we can't find other central NY/Albany TST members!  C'mon folks :-).

Edited by mohearn
mispelled

Mike

Driver: TM Sim2 9* Ventus Black, M5 9* Kuro Kage
Fwy: TM SLDR 3W, 5W;    Hybrid: TM M1 4 Hybrid
Irons: TM Tour Preferred MC 2014
Wedges: TM Tour Preferred, 52 @ 51*, 56
Putter: Ping Scottsdale TR Anser 2 or Odyssey Rossie

It isn't the hours that you put in at practice that count. It's the way you spend those minutes. -- tony lema

Sorry to have been putting this off.

So, we're looking at Friday morning at Hiawatha and En-Joie on Saturday?

What times are you considering for both days?

Christian

:tmade::titleist:  :leupold:  :aimpoint: :gamegolf:

Here's the tentative plan, with the understanding that @RFKFREAK cannot make it until 2:30 pm earliest on Saturday. 

@mohearn and I play at Sullivan on Friday afternoon. You can join too @RFKFREAK -- there's no tee time required. My guess is I'll try to fit in 18 starting around 2-3pm. We haven't coordinated an exact time yet. 

@mohearn and I will try to play 36 on Saturday. The preferred plan is En Joie around 8-8:30am, Hiawatha around 3-3:30pm. The concern I raised is that we may need to flip the two based on availability. Just let us know what works or doesn't work for you @RFKFREAK

-Chris Brooks

I've blogged about my wanderings since 2003. I love roaming throughout the USA looking for remote public golf courses to play.

Things are booked and we are ready to go. Details:

• @mohearn, his guest, and I will play Sullivan County Golf Club Friday afternoon TBD start. No tee time required.
  • @mohearn and I will play En-Joie on Saturday morning at 8:51am (yes, they had an opening for us). Tee time under my name (Chris Brooks).
  • @mohearn, @RFKFREAK, and I will play Links at Hiawatha Landing on Saturday at 3pm. Tee time under my name (Chris Brooks).

Still room for more if some lurker out there is thinking about joining us...

• Thumbs Up 1

-Chris Brooks

• 2 weeks later...

Wish I could have come. Glad you guys had a good time.

course looked nice.

Stuart M.

I am a "SCRATCH GOLFER".  I hit ball, Ball hits Tree, I scratch my head. 😜

Driver: Ping G410 Plus 10.5* +1* / 3 Hybrid: Cleveland HIBORE XLS / 4,5 & 6 Hybrids: Mizuno JP FLI-HI / Irons/Wedges 7-8-9-P-G: Mizuno JPX800 HD / Sand Wedge: Mizuno JPX 800 / Lob Wedge: Cleveland CBX 60* / Putter: Odyssey White Hot OG 7S / Balls: Srixon Soft / Beer: Labatt Blue (or anything nice & cold) 

7 hours ago, StuM said:

Wish I could have come. Glad you guys had a good time.

course looked nice.

Course was fun.  Def would like to play it again

Christian

:tmade::titleist:  :leupold:  :aimpoint: :gamegolf:

• Administrator

Congrats, @Chris Brooks, on earning the "TST Outing Organizer" award. 😉 

• Thumbs Up 2

Erik J. Barzeski —  I knock a ball. It goes in a gopher hole. 🏌🏼‍♂️
Director of Instruction Golf Evolution • Owner, The Sand Trap .com • AuthorLowest Score Wins
Golf Digest "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17 & "Best in State" 2017-20 • WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019 :edel: :true_linkswear:

Check Out: New Topics | TST Blog | Golf Terms | Instructional Content | Analyzr | LSW | Instructional Droplets

Thanks for posting the videos, oh my gosh that's a tired looking swing of mine! :-) 

Was great fun, weather perfect and the courses were all very different than each other, each challenging and interesting in different ways.  Learned alot, ready for the next one..

Mike

• Like 1

Mike

Driver: TM Sim2 9* Ventus Black, M5 9* Kuro Kage
Fwy: TM SLDR 3W, 5W;    Hybrid: TM M1 4 Hybrid
Irons: TM Tour Preferred MC 2014
Wedges: TM Tour Preferred, 52 @ 51*, 56
Putter: Ping Scottsdale TR Anser 2 or Odyssey Rossie

It isn't the hours that you put in at practice that count. It's the way you spend those minutes. -- tony lema

Here's a brief meetup report.

@mohearn, his friend Joe, and I met up on Friday in Liberty NY to play Sullivan County Golf Club. Scroll back in this thread to see more details on the backstory for the course. I enjoyed the round, the people made it even better. Not sure I'm excited to return -- really felt like most 9 hole muni style courses I've played over the years. Fun to walk, though challenging (reminds me of my home course on Keuka Lake) with the serious slopes and climbs. Very few level lies on this course.

image.jpeg.5a049030b2f8dbf5e58866c37d6dccc4.jpeg

Joe is from the area and enjoyed being back home in the Catskills. He headed back to the Hudson valley area; @mohearn and I separately made our way towards Binghamton area for a planned 36 holes on Saturday.

Saturday morning @mohearn and I met up at En-Joie, a janky but surprisingly good parkland style course in Endicott. I say janky only because the initial impression was "am I driving into a parking lot for a lumber store?" Lots of chain link fencing, vintage 1930s/1940s construction. The course was fun, the greens were fast and very true, and if I lived closer I'd be more than happy to pony up for a membership. The course is very walkable too, though we weren't allowed to on a Saturday morning (boo to revenue enhancement).

image.jpeg.fcc80ddc12b93b553ddb6ccf3aebb81e.jpeg

Very tough driving course with plenty of tree-lined narrow fairways.

After a lunch at En-Joie, we met up with @RFKFREAK at The Links at Hiawatha Landing (you have to say all the words every time you talk about this course). While I wouldn't call it a true links course (haha @iacas) it is probably the closest you'll come in this region. Driving was more "fun" with wide landing zones, but serious deep grass and weed penalties if you missed.

image.jpeg.4a9e4d1702e72f218b3159a46d42f621.jpeg

Most difficult for me was the approach play. I seemed to be hitting my mid irons a wee bit further than usual, and the greens were hard and narrow front to back. I know better, but the context switch from soft parkland greens to this was striking. So lots of misses on back of green for me this day, with often very challenging recoveries. Highly recommend the course.

image.jpeg.badaaf696d92ed28023b457d4ceff709.jpeg

SO SO amazing to make new golfing friends; I'm thankful for this community. 

• Like 2
  • Thumbs Up 1

-Chris Brooks

• Administrator

Love the purple shirt, @mohearn!

• Thumbs Up 1

Erik J. Barzeski —  I knock a ball. It goes in a gopher hole. 🏌🏼‍♂️
Director of Instruction Golf Evolution • Owner, The Sand Trap .com • AuthorLowest Score Wins
Golf Digest "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17 & "Best in State" 2017-20 • WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019 :edel: :true_linkswear:

Check Out: New Topics | TST Blog | Golf Terms | Instructional Content | Analyzr | LSW | Instructional Droplets