IGNORED

Possible Rules Contest Question

reidsou

16 hours ago, reidsou said:

There's no need for a local rule to allow range finders. They are allowed by default since the rules overhaul in 2019. (Now there's an optional local rule to *dis*allow.)

Also distance is public information, not advice. See the definition of advice. 

Ok, thanks. I had forgot that rule reversal.

Still, some (high-level) tournaments disallow rangefinders. Wouldn't a person asking for a rangefinder reading (with or without slope enabled), in such tournament still incur a penalty, for effectively asking someone else to do something against the rules? I get it that if the other player does provide the reading, he gets a penalty for using the deemed illegal rangefinder, but what about the guy that asks (or goads) him to do it?

Philippe

:callaway: Maverick Driver, 3W, 5W Big Bertha 
:mizuno: JPX 900 Forged 4-GW
:mizuno:  T7 55-09 and 60-10 forged wedges,
:odyssey: #7 putter (Slim 3.0 grip)

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

On 7/31/2023 at 11:38 AM, iacas said:

You don’t know that, as you say with the assumption. If the first hole was flat maybe it wasn’t on then. Or maybe they used it for the glass (magnification) only.

Again the wording should be changed. What people would do in the real world is not always what they “must” do under the Rules.

Thanks! Rewording the question to remove ambiguity: 

Individual stroke play tournament. On the second tee you ask another player the yardage to the hole. The player responds, "My range finder shows 120 yards, slope adjusted. Very similar to the slope adjusted yardage it showed for my third shot on the first hole." What should you do now? 

The answer is that you must (rule 20.1c(2)) tell the player that he/she violated rule 4.3a at least twice. The penalty is disqualification for the second breach. 

• Like 1

On 7/31/2023 at 4:44 PM, Elmer said:

I understand the need to follow the rules when we are all playing for something. 

And I understand the rules are the rules.
But when you pick up a random and you are not playing them for money or bragging rights or beer, why are you badgering them about rules?
I mean your nitpicking made the guy walk off without finishing the hole.
Maybe he was just out working on his game and not keeping score,
This is the worst part of golf to me. 
If my score doesn't affect you, stay out of my game!

Yup.

I have friends who I play with who fluff up the ball when it's buried in the rough or who fudge their score and as long as we're not playing for anything, I don't really care.  They're out there for fun so if that makes the game more fun for them, then why would I ruin that.

• Thumbs Up 1

Christian

:tmade::titleist:  :leupold:  :aimpoint: :gamegolf:

• Administrator
2 hours ago, reidsou said:

Thanks! Rewording the question to remove ambiguity: 

Individual stroke play tournament. On the second tee you ask another player the yardage to the hole. The player responds, "My range finder shows 120 yards, slope adjusted. Very similar to the slope adjusted yardage it showed for my third shot on the first hole." What should you do now? 

The answer is that you must (rule 20.1c(2)) tell the player that he/she violated rule 4.3a at least twice. The penalty is disqualification for the second breach. 

That is better wording.

• Like 1

Erik J. Barzeski —  I knock a ball. It goes in a gopher hole. 🏌🏼‍♂️
Director of Instruction Golf Evolution • Owner, The Sand Trap .com • AuthorLowest Score Wins
Golf Digest "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17 & "Best in State" 2017-20 • WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019 :edel: :true_linkswear:

Check Out: New Topics | TST Blog | Golf Terms | Instructional Content | Analyzr | LSW | Instructional Droplets