IGNORED

Real vs Fake. Where do You Draw the Line?

Where Do You Draw The Line On Purchasing Fake Golf Products?  

15 members have voted

1. 1. What Do You Find Acceptable? We are talking about fakes. Not copies or products that are similar to. (For example a headcover labelled as Scotty Cameron, but not really a Scotty Cameron is a fake. A head cover designed to look like a Scotty Cameron, but labeled as Brand X is a copy.)

• I would never knowingly buy any fake golf product, because I believe it is simply wrong to do so.
    • I would never knowingly buy any fake golf product, because while I don't have an ethical issue with it, I'd be concerned with the quality of said product.
    • I only buy "real" clubs, but a fake head cover or a fake grip is fine, if it doesn't affect the performance of the club its fine to save money.
    • I don't mind buying fakes as long as my golf buddies can't tell.
    • Buying fakes is fine. That just shows the the original manufacturers are charging too much. Its good to have lower cost options.

I know this topic has been covered before, but with the inflation and other economic factors perhaps things have changed. Either in reality or at least in your mind. 

A long time ago, the company I worked for had one of their products flat out copied by the competition. I remember being less offended and more amused because they even copied the products weak points and it would have been very easy to have actually copied and improved upon it at the same time. Anyway, as a degreed engineer I've always been against copying products and bringing them to market, especially in situations where they are marketed as "Just as good as, but without the high price". My thought on that is you never know how much engineering time, effort and/or expense went into that product. So, to say company X or company Y is ripping off the public, is easy to say but may or may not be true. 

Where do you draw the line at purchasing fake golf products. 

My bag is an ever-changing combination of clubs. 

A mix I am forever tinkering with. 

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

I don’t buy fakes. It’s not worth it and also, you can’t sell it. Life’s to short to waste time saving a few bucks.

Scott

Titleist, Edel, Scotty Cameron Putter, Snell - AimPoint - Evolvr - MirrorVision

My Swing Thread

boogielicious - Adjective describing the perfect surf wave

• Administrator

I'd have picked the first two reasons if I could have.

• Thumbs Up 1

Erik J. Barzeski —  I knock a ball. It goes in a gopher hole. 🏌🏼‍♂️
Director of Instruction Golf Evolution • Owner, The Sand Trap .com • AuthorLowest Score Wins
Golf Digest "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17 & "Best in State" 2017-20 • WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019 :edel: :true_linkswear:

Check Out: New Topics | TST Blog | Golf Terms | Instructional Content | Analyzr | LSW | Instructional Droplets

3 hours ago, iacas said:

Same. I don't think it's right plus the fake product is most likely going to be inferior too. 

Driver: :callaway: Rogue Max ST LS
Woods:  :cobra: Darkspeed LS 3Wood/3Hybrid
Irons: :tmade: P770 (4-PW)
Wedges: :callaway: MD3 50   MD5 54 58 degree  
Putter: :odyssey:  White Hot RX #1
Ball: :srixon: Z Star XV

3 hours ago, iacas said:

Oops, I meant to turn on the vote for as many as apply button. 

Personally I wouldn't buy fakes either. I've heard many people say they buy fakes because the manufacturers are charging too much for their product. So they feel that this is their way of "sticking it to the man". ... as if anyone still uses that phrase. 

However, in my opinion, manufacturers should be allowed to charge what ever price their product will demand. Those who manufacture fakes in my opinion are the same as stealing. They are stealing the engineers and marketing folks time and effort without paying for it.

There's a great big world of second and third hand clubs out there which will perform very well for those who don't wish to pay new club prices. 

• Thumbs Up 1

My bag is an ever-changing combination of clubs. 

A mix I am forever tinkering with. 

• Administrator
1 hour ago, ChetlovesMer said:

I changed it. You can "Show Vote Options" to change your vote.

Erik J. Barzeski —  I knock a ball. It goes in a gopher hole. 🏌🏼‍♂️
Director of Instruction Golf Evolution • Owner, The Sand Trap .com • AuthorLowest Score Wins
Golf Digest "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17 & "Best in State" 2017-20 • WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019 :edel: :true_linkswear:

Check Out: New Topics | TST Blog | Golf Terms | Instructional Content | Analyzr | LSW | Instructional Droplets

• 2 weeks later...
On 12/15/2023 at 1:16 PM, ChetlovesMer said:

Personally I wouldn't buy fakes either. I've heard many people say they buy fakes because the manufacturers are charging too much for their product. So they feel that this is their way of "sticking it to the man". ... as if anyone still uses that phrase. 

However, in my opinion, manufacturers should be allowed to charge what ever price their product will demand. Those who manufacture fakes in my opinion are the same as stealing. They are stealing the engineers and marketing folks time and effort without paying for it.

There's a great big world of second and third hand clubs out there which will perform very well for those who don't wish to pay new club prices. 

I agree with everything in this post. If consumers are willing to pay what the manufacturer is asking for their product, then they should continue to ask that price. People that purchase fake products as a way of saving money and not giving their money to higher priced manufacturers aren’t really saving money at all. I don’t have facts to back up this claim, but I would bet a fair amount of money that the knockoffs don’t perform as well, or last as long, as the name brands. 

Callway GBB Epic, TaylorMade R7 3W, Wilson D9 Forged, Vokey 54* and 58*, Bettinardi flat stick