IGNORED

Grips Installed on Tour Trucks

(edited)

I have seen many videos of tour trucks at PGA tournaments. They can build a club in minutes. For epoxy they usually use 3M DP810 and then a heating gadget to get the epoxy cured in minutes so the player can go hit balls immediately. But my question is about the grips. What do they do so the grips can also be used immediately to go hit balls? Normally grips require a few hours to be ready. Can somebody explain? Thanks

Edited by arturo28mx

Grips can stay on by friction between the metal/tape and the rubber compound of the grip. Over the course of the years, the glue on the grip will just wear out. Masking tape is not meant to last that long. Grips do not twist, or the club doesn't fly out of the grip. 

Matt Dougherty, P.E.
 fasdfa dfdsaf 

What's in My Bag
Driver; :pxg: 0311 Gen 5,  3-Wood: 
:titleist: 917h3 ,  Hybrid:  :titleist: 915 2-Hybrid,  Irons: Sub 70 TAIII Fordged
Wedges: :edel: (52, 56, 60),  Putter: :edel:,  Ball: :snell: MTB,  Shoe: :true_linkswear:,  Rangfinder: :leupold:
Bag: :ping:

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

• Administrator
3 hours ago, saevel25 said:

Grips can stay on by friction between the metal/tape and the rubber compound of the grip. Over the course of the years, the glue on the grip will just wear out. Masking tape is not meant to last that long. Grips do not twist, or the club doesn't fly out of the grip.

Did you read the OP Matt?

He's asking how they put grips on (typically with tape and solvent) in such a way that the players can hit clubs so quickly after the grip is installed.

And the answer to that is… I don't know. Maybe they use very little solvent or have a spray or something that's like a tacky glue when it dries quickly, but is slippery for the ten seconds they need it to be?

I asked on Twitter for you @arturo28mx:

Erik J. Barzeski —  I knock a ball. It goes in a gopher hole. 🏌🏼‍♂️
Director of Instruction Golf Evolution • Owner, The Sand Trap .com • AuthorLowest Score Wins
Golf Digest "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17 & "Best in State" 2017-20 • WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019 :edel: :true_linkswear:

Check Out: New Topics | TST Blog | Golf Terms | Instructional Content | Analyzr | LSW | Instructional Droplets

11 minutes ago, iacas said:

Did you read the OP Matt?

He's asking how they put grips on (typically with tape and solvent) in such a way that the players can hit clubs so quickly after the grip is installed.

Apparently, I didn't register the intent. My bad. 

Here is from the TaylorMade Truck making Rory's Driver. 

On the Titleist truck

Nothing seems out of the ordinary. Not sure if the clubs go straight out, but maybe we overestimate how long they need to wait for the grips to set? Maybe they have a different process for quicker need times. If that is the case, why not just do that all the time. 

Matt Dougherty, P.E.
 fasdfa dfdsaf 

What's in My Bag
Driver; :pxg: 0311 Gen 5,  3-Wood: 
:titleist: 917h3 ,  Hybrid:  :titleist: 915 2-Hybrid,  Irons: Sub 70 TAIII Fordged
Wedges: :edel: (52, 56, 60),  Putter: :edel:,  Ball: :snell: MTB,  Shoe: :true_linkswear:,  Rangfinder: :leupold:
Bag: :ping:

• Administrator

Likely this:

30 minutes isn’t long.

• Thumbs Up 1

Erik J. Barzeski —  I knock a ball. It goes in a gopher hole. 🏌🏼‍♂️
Director of Instruction Golf Evolution • Owner, The Sand Trap .com • AuthorLowest Score Wins
Golf Digest "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17 & "Best in State" 2017-20 • WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019 :edel: :true_linkswear:

Check Out: New Topics | TST Blog | Golf Terms | Instructional Content | Analyzr | LSW | Instructional Droplets

There was a shop near me years ago that used rubber cement. It went on easy and was ready to go in 15 minutes.

Scott

Titleist, Edel, Scotty Cameron Putter, Snell - AimPoint - Evolvr - MirrorVision

My Swing Thread

boogielicious - Adjective describing the perfect surf wave