IGNORED

Rory's Clubhead Comes of During Swing

saevel25

Well, this happened, 🤣

Also, it looks like the adhesive didn't cure enough. You can see that the shaft did not snap at the top of the hosel, which is what I expected when I saw the title and video of the shot. 

All I can say is, YOU SWING TOO HARD! 😛 

Here is the video. 

Matt Dougherty, P.E.
 fasdfa dfdsaf 

What's in My Bag
Driver; :pxg: 0311 Gen 5,  3-Wood: 
:titleist: 917h3 ,  Hybrid:  :titleist: 915 2-Hybrid,  Irons: Sub 70 TAIII Fordged
Wedges: :edel: (52, 56, 60),  Putter: :edel:,  Ball: :snell: MTB,  Shoe: :true_linkswear:,  Rangfinder: :leupold:
Bag: :ping:

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

• Administrator

It's funny how short your follow-through is given the sudden loss of weight at that distance from your hands. 😄 

Erik J. Barzeski —  I knock a ball. It goes in a gopher hole. 🏌🏼‍♂️
Director of Instruction Golf Evolution • Owner, The Sand Trap .com • AuthorLowest Score Wins
Golf Digest "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17 & "Best in State" 2017-20 • WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019 :edel: :true_linkswear:

Check Out: New Topics | TST Blog | Golf Terms | Instructional Content | Analyzr | LSW | Instructional Droplets

1 hour ago, iacas said:

It's funny how short your follow-through is given the sudden loss of weight at that distance from your hands. 😄 

Yep - he's doing a whole lot of decelerating of the club by that point in the swing. When the club goes from I guess about 400g to 130g in an instant, that deceleration is going to stop it way faster than it normally would. I have heard it said that one of the reasons people can find it hard to swing much faster is because your subconscious knows that you have to decelerate the club after impact and if you don't it's going to hit you and it'll hurt, so it (your subconscious) makes sure you're not going fast enough to hurt yourself. By that rationale, if you could make a clubhead come off after impact like this, you might be able to swing it faster 🙂 

As to the clubhead coming off, I had that happen to me once. Only in my case, the clubhead started coming off before I got to the ball and it twisted at the same time. Ball went about 45* to the left and the clubhead went pretty straight. Given how freaking good Rory's shot was there, I'm guessing his clubhead didn't do any moving until after impact.

Was that enough damage to let him replace the club?

😇

• Funny 4

But then again, what the hell do I know?

Rich - in name only

• Administrator
6 minutes ago, Ty_Webb said:

Yep - he's doing a whole lot of decelerating of the club by that point in the swing.

I understand the physics of it. 😛 I'm just saying it's funny looking (and feeling, the two times it's happened to me, ever).

Erik J. Barzeski —  I knock a ball. It goes in a gopher hole. 🏌🏼‍♂️
Director of Instruction Golf Evolution • Owner, The Sand Trap .com • AuthorLowest Score Wins
Golf Digest "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17 & "Best in State" 2017-20 • WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019 :edel: :true_linkswear:

Check Out: New Topics | TST Blog | Golf Terms | Instructional Content | Analyzr | LSW | Instructional Droplets

Just now, iacas said:

I understand the physics of it. 😛 I'm just saying it's funny looking (and feeling, the two times it's happened to me, ever).

It is - I occasionally swing just a shaft to see what it's like. You can swing it seriously quickly, but it's like it has a mind of its own. 

15 minutes ago, iacas said:

Yep, that has happened to me twice. Once with a wedge hitting of a mat another hitting a 2nd shot into a par 5 with a 6 iron. Both times the head of the club went like 25 to 50 yards down range. 

Matt Dougherty, P.E.
 fasdfa dfdsaf 

What's in My Bag
Driver; :pxg: 0311 Gen 5,  3-Wood: 
:titleist: 917h3 ,  Hybrid:  :titleist: 915 2-Hybrid,  Irons: Sub 70 TAIII Fordged
Wedges: :edel: (52, 56, 60),  Putter: :edel:,  Ball: :snell: MTB,  Shoe: :true_linkswear:,  Rangfinder: :leupold:
Bag: :ping:

This happened to me once. Hit 6i on a par 3 tee shot and the head went flying 30 yards towards the green. Hit the shot to 10’ though so it was more hilarious than embarrassing.

I played with a friend once who replaced his own driver shaft. On the second hole he teed off and the head flew farther than his ball. We like to remind him of that once in a while 😜

Bill

“By three methods we may learn wisdom: First, by reflection, which is noblest; Second, by imitation, which is easiest; and third by experience, which is the bitterest.” - Confucius

My Swing Thread