IGNORED

Looking for a driver

Note: This thread is 5817 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

Hi all,

I have been playing for about 5 months and until now I have made do with a 3 wood off the tee, but now I am looking for a driver. Obviously, having only played for a short time I am looking for something with a lot of forgiveness, however I don't want to restrict myself in terms of distance and workability in the long run.

I have tried out both the Cobra F Speed LD (2008) and the TM Burner (2007) and really like the Burner. I hit it fairly straight with a good amount of height.

I don't have much of a problem with a slice, and so I'm not really looking for a draw driver, as I feel I would rather correct my swing than have a club do it for me.

Does anyone have any comments about specifically the Burner, or any other drivers they can recommend? My pro shop does also stock G10s which I have heard good things about, so I should probably try one out.

Many thanks

In my bag:
Driver: G10 10.5 TFC 129 Shaft
3 wood: R7 Steel
Hybrid: 585H 21 Degree
Irons 3-PW: 735.CMWedges: Vokey 52.08, 56.14Putter: White Hot XG #5

Hi all,

My thoughts: * You should certainly try out the G10s. I've never hit one, but I feel you should demo many possible clubs before buying one. * I don't know much about the burner, but a buddy of mine plays the R7 and loves it. I used to play an R5 that I wasn't fit for (right flex, wrong loft) so I took it out in favor of my current Cobra. * The Cobra F-Speeds are nice. They are forgiving - either that or I have a great swing. Maybe both. In any case, I have trouble hitting a draw or fade with it, although I can do that with the 3Wood at the practice range. Maybe it's because of the ball I play.

-- Michael | My swing! 

"You think you're Jim Furyk. That's why your phone is never charged." - message from my mother

Driver:  Titleist 915D2.  4-wood:  Titleist 917F2.  Titleist TS2 19 degree hybrid.  Another hybrid in here too.  Irons 5-U, Ping G400.  Wedges negotiable (currently 54 degree Cleveland, 58 degree Titleist) Edel putter. 

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

try the nike SQ2 (the square one) i tried hitting it once, alot of forgiveness and pros use it like KJ choi, Paul Casey, and i'm pretty sure trevor immelman used it but i could be wrong. so if pros use it, you know it has some workability. when i tried it i didnt really try to work the ball so i wouldnt really know about workability for this driver but like shindig said try alot of drivers so you can be sure which one is the right for you.

Thanks. I did look at the the Nike drivers, but unfortunately the SQ2 is really out of my price range, and my local pro shop doesn't sell the SQ 5000. I'm really looking for something around or less than £199 (Im in England).

In my bag:

ahhh sorry i didnt know you were in england. another club i would recommend is the callaway hyper X driver. that club gets you the distance even if you mishit it. but the burner is a really solid club. if you are looking for a cheaper driver, go with some 2007 models.

I would agree with the callaway hyper x driver i bought it recently, and im very happy with it. the only problem i have is trying to cure my slice but i have been working on it and making progress. The callaway driver feels nice to hit and even when i hit it off center i can feel it trying to straighten itself up. Cost me 180£ and got a pack of callaway hx hot bite dozen golf balls free (usually cost £25)

Driver: Callaway Hyper X Tour
5 Wood: Ping G5
Irons: Cobra fp 4-SW
Bag: Powakaddy
Ball: Srixon soft feel

Jimmy - try out the Taylormade Superquad if you get a chance. I found it to be more controllable than the Burner was. Nevada Bobs have them on-line for about 220 quid, but suggest trying one out first (most NB stores have a golf simulator if you are struggling)

Superquad
Fusion #3
Big Bertha Warbird #5
755 3-PW
Vokey SM56.10 & 60.08 White Hot 2-ball

Thanks, I will see if I can try a SuperQuad somewhere. Does anyone here own a Burner and have any comments about it, or has tried one?

In my bag:

I'd stick with the Burner if you're getting solid results. I have mine in a stiff shaft cut down to 44.5" and I get very solid results -- usually around 250+ and pretty straight. I tried several others but didn't find that I got the same distance and consistency. This included the G10, Callaway Hyper X, Big Bertha and Nike 5000. The Burner is a solid driver for us less experienced golfers and you don't sacrifice distance or basic workability -- I can produce a fade when required but usually I just bomb it out there straight. The TM Burner 3 wood is also a very usable club.

My Bag:

Driver: Srixon ZR-W 9.5* Graffaloy Epic 68(R)
Fairway: Wishon 949MC 16.5*
Hybrid(s): Cobra Baffler DWS 20*Irons: 6-PW Mizuno MP-52. 5i Mizuno MX-23Wedges: Cleveland CG12 DSG 56/10Putter: Rife 2-Bar Hybrid

Sorry to dig this up again. Tried the G10 earlier today, except it had a regular graffaloy red shaft on it, which I think was too stiff or something, as I was finding it hard to get in the air. Could this be it?

I will go back and see if I can try a G10 with the standard shaft and see if this makes a difference, but so far I'm still thinking of the Burner.

In my bag:

The burner is a fine club, I use the 3-wood nut my driver is the r7(regular not super quad) the r7 has a lot of workability and is very forgiving, also I get anywhere from 260-270 with it

But a really think that taylormade makes the best drivers in golf, burner, r7 whatever floats your boat, cause taylormade is boss

In My Edge Bag:
Driver: R7 Draw
3-Wood: Burner
3h,4h: Idea A2
Irons: 5-PW Idea A2Wedges: X-Tour 52, 56, 60Putter: White Hot XGBall: OPB (Other People's Balls)

Note: This thread is 5817 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!