IGNORED

I want build a golf course...advice please

Note: This thread is 5807 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

Well, not quite yet, but I like to look for investment property and today I saw land for sale, 100+ acres in a nice spot, and in an area that is lacking in 18 hole golf courses (we have about 75 crappy nine hole courses though, ugh). This is suddenly a dream of mine, but I know little of what to do.

I am wondering if anyone has any idea/background on this. How much actual land do you need to have for a golf course, driving range (would be nice, but not a must), and a clubhouse?

If there are some basics that people know of, or a website, I'd appreciate any input.

In the Bag:

- R7 460 - Driver
- R7 st - 3 Wood
- Baffler Dws - Hybrid - 4-Pw-CG-4 - Irons - 54 - CG-11/ 58+60 - CG 10 - Wedges - Rosa Mezza Monza - Putter NXT or Noodles

Well, not quite yet, but I like to look for investment property and today I saw land for sale, 100+ acres in a nice spot, and in an area that is lacking in 18 hole golf courses (we have about 75 crappy nine hole courses though, ugh). This is suddenly a dream of mine, but I know little of what to do.

You are about 300 acres short.

Best, Mike Elzey

In my bag:
Driver: Cleveland Launcher 10.5 stiff
Woods: Ping ISI 3 and 5 - metal stiffIrons: Ping ISI 4-GW - metal stiffSand Wedges: 1987 Staff, 1987 R-90Putter: two ball - black bladeBall: NXT Tour"I think what I said is right but maybe not.""If you know so much, why are you...

Man are you rich? Well, i'd love if you actually go through with this, to give us a day by day little documentary on how its going. I'd love to see some pictures as well. Check out this website:

http://www.amickgca.com/building.htm
In My Bag

Driver: Sasquatch 460 9.5°
3 Wood: Laser 3 Wood 15°
5 Wood: r7 19° (Stiff)Irons: S58 Irons 4-PW Orange DotWedge: Harmonized 60°Wedge: Z TP 54°Putter: Tiffany 34"Balls: Pro V1 Shoes: Adidas Tour 360 IIThe Meadows Golf Coursewww.themeadowsgc.comAge: 16

Look at Google Earth at some golf courses and do some rough calculations on the acreage they cover. I looked at one that was quite compact and mikelz is right, about 300 acres short.

But don't give up, if building a golf course is you dream, keep at it and make it happen!
In my bag:

Driver: FT-5, 9° stiff
Wood: Big Bertha 3W/5W
Irons: X-20 TourWedges: X Tour 52°/56°Hybrids: Idea Pro 2/3/4Putter: Black Series #2Ball: NXT Extreme/NXT Tour

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

Well crap, if it's 400 acres, I'm not even close. I always thought it was about 100-125 acres.

Dent - I have money, yes, but I would def need the course to be somewhat profitable. Thanks for that link, that's helpful.

Now, in that site that Dent sent, it says 140 - 180 acres are needed for a course. That's quite a difference...

In the Bag:

- R7 460 - Driver
- R7 st - 3 Wood
- Baffler Dws - Hybrid - 4-Pw-CG-4 - Irons - 54 - CG-11/ 58+60 - CG 10 - Wedges - Rosa Mezza Monza - Putter NXT or Noodles

Lynnwood GC in Lynnwood, WA is a 4800 yard par 65 set on 75.3 acres of land. No Par 5's but there are a pair of 370+ yard par 4, both slightly uphill. Very well kept, a lot of fun to play and deceptively difficult. One of the few courses in the area that I have played (45 and counting) that have good sand bunkers on every hole and three holes have fairway bunkers. Water is in play on five holes. It is possible with a good layout and vision.

google earth it. mikelz is wrong. i measured out two courses by me. regulation 18 and they are at 95 and 114 respectively. the 114 acre course has a 16 acre driving range so that could be removed if needed. i never not went to a course because it didnt have a range.

good luck and you would be surprised what you could do with a 100 acres if the land lays right.

Nike SQ 9.5 w/ ProLaunch Red
Titliest 906F2 15
Miura 202 3-5 Irons
Miura Blade 6-PW Irons
Mizuno MP 51 & 56Yes! Tracy IINike One Black

From USGA Website: "With average golf course construction costs typically ranging from $1.6 to $4.5 million, and the total cost of putting a new course on line frequently exceeding $10 million"

from another website:"HOW MUCH LAND DOES IT TAKE TO BUILD A GOLF COURSE?

Most golfers expect a golf course to have 18 holes with a par of about 72, plus a practice range and practice greens. This typically requires from 140 to 180 acres of useable land. Nine holes with a par of 35 or 36 should take about half the acreage. However if nine holes are built initially, it is still better if there is enough land to design a second nine at the same time, for eventual expansion to 18. "

It also says you can build an executive course on 100 acres.

In my bag:

Driver: SQ 9.5, Graphite Stiff Shaft
3 Wood: Diablo 13 degree, Stiff Shaft
2 Hybrid: SQ 18 degree, Steel Stiff ShaftIrons: MP-30, 3-PWSW: 56* Vokey Copper spin-milledFW 52* VokeyFlat Stick Zing 2Ball: Pro V1x

I never really looked it up, but I remember hearing the avg golf course requires 150 acres-ish. If I'm wrong, you could always build a really dope driving range with pracitce areas for chipping, bunker play, etc.

P.S.: And a batting cage please for when I wanna come by and take a few hacks :)

:P
In the bag Nike SasQuatch SuMo 10.5* {} Tiger Shark Hammerhead 3w, 5w, 3h {} Nickent 3DX Pro 5i-PW {} Titleist Vokey 250.08* {} Cleveland CG11. 54* {} Callaway X-Tour 58.11* {} Carbite Tour Classic Putter {} Titleist ProV1x

OK - so I googled 'average golf course size' and got this as the first result - http://www.epa.gov/oppefed1/models/w...nt_factors.htm
'...Based on the World Golf Foundation's "The Golf 20/20 Industry Report for 2002," there were about 15,827 golf courses in the United States as of March 2003. Golf course characteristics information provided by the Golf Course Superintendents Association of America ( www.gcsaa.org Exit EPA Disclaimer) indicates that an 18-hole golf facility averages about 150-200 acres of total land, including water bodies, hard structures, and out-of-play areas. A typical urban golf course is only 110-120 acres, and courses in resort areas may be 170-190 acres...'

:P
In the bag Nike SasQuatch SuMo 10.5* {} Tiger Shark Hammerhead 3w, 5w, 3h {} Nickent 3DX Pro 5i-PW {} Titleist Vokey 250.08* {} Cleveland CG11. 54* {} Callaway X-Tour 58.11* {} Carbite Tour Classic Putter {} Titleist ProV1x

Go for it Salty .Whats the worst that can happen? Hope its a great success!

Ill make you a deal, You build it Ill come over and play it!

In The Bag
Mizuno MX 560 Driver
Taylor made 3 wood
Mizuno HIFLI 21*
Mizuno MX 25's 4-pwMizuno MX series wedges 50, 56*/11 & 60*Bettinardi C02 putter4 bottles of pilsner,2 packs cigars

OK - so I googled 'average golf course size' and got this as the first result -

I think you can build one that's under 200 acres.

There won't be any space between the holes and you'll need to issue hardhats or have players sign waivers. If you want to build an inexpensive daily fee course, you are only about 100 acres short. If you want a high end course, I think you still need a few hundred more.

Best, Mike Elzey

In my bag:
Driver: Cleveland Launcher 10.5 stiff
Woods: Ping ISI 3 and 5 - metal stiffIrons: Ping ISI 4-GW - metal stiffSand Wedges: 1987 Staff, 1987 R-90Putter: two ball - black bladeBall: NXT Tour"I think what I said is right but maybe not.""If you know so much, why are you...

You're from New England, where abouts are you planning on building this. I might play if it happens.

Whats in my Warbird Hot Bad:

Driver: 907D1 9.5 - 65-S Aldila VS Proto --- FT-IQ coming soon?
2 Hybrid: Rescue mid-TP 16 deg
3 Hybrid: Rescue TP - HC Tour Only Model 19 deg - DG X-1004-PW: 695CB Irons - Project X 6.0Wedges Vokey SM58, Vokey SM54, Vokey 250Putter Futura PhantomWhere I WorkMy...

Thanks for the replies guys, I knew this was the place to post this.

amen, pj - thanks for the links, searches, etc...

mikez - i'd like it to be a nicer public course, but i don't think a "high end course" is needed. partly b/c money, available land does not make it feasible, and partly b/c this area of CT (South east) is so void of 18 hole public courses that people would take anything. i was thinking a links style course could be done - if i have to sacrifice a driving range, so be it -

TCC - I'm in Guilford, CT - exit 57/58 on I-95 - its a ways from you

Hey - if this happens (very far off), I'll do some sort of a deal/discount for sandtrap members!

In the Bag:

- R7 460 - Driver
- R7 st - 3 Wood

Main reason for my post, doh -

I talked to a buddy of mine today and he thought it was a great idea, and wants to be a part of it. He actually has some contacts/investors w/ a background and experience in building courses. It would be great to have that, b/c I have no background in this and I'm realizing it would probably take every last cent of mine to do this, that's a bit of a stretch for a guy with two little ones, lol.

In the Bag:

- R7 460 - Driver
- R7 st - 3 Wood

Main reason for my post, doh -

I applaud you for being very serious about this and actually thinking of doing it. The world never has enough golf courses.

Like I said I'd love to see some pictures and updates on how it goes! Keep this thread going.
In My Bag

Driver: Sasquatch 460 9.5°
3 Wood: Laser 3 Wood 15°
5 Wood: r7 19° (Stiff)Irons: S58 Irons 4-PW Orange DotWedge: Harmonized 60°Wedge: Z TP 54°Putter: Tiffany 34"Balls: Pro V1 Shoes: Adidas Tour 360 IIThe Meadows Golf Coursewww.themeadowsgc.comAge: 16

Good luck Salty, that would be awesome if you pull it off. I've always been into golf course layouts and design, its tons of fun designing holes. Just have fun with it and be creative!
Sticks
driver- X460 tour 9.5 Aldila NVS 75
irons- X-forged 3-PW TT BlackGold stiff
wedges- x-tour vintage 52, 56, 60
hybrid- FT-hybrid #2 17* putter- Sophia 33" "If everything seems under control, you're just not going fast enough."_Mario Andretti

mikelz is basically right. Under 200 with todays courses (7000+ yards, practice facilities, etc) is really pushing it. You could do it if you found a perfect spot that you could use all the land for golf, but that is pretty rare. I would suggest you look into building a 9-hole course. Tom Doak says "9 good holes are much better than 18 cramped ones. A really well-designed course should lose no interest the second time around, even in the same afternoon.." If you want to make it an 18 hole course, and make it great, you'll easily need at least 250 acres, probably 300+. Best of luck! Look into reading some books to help you out. Also, it can get very pricey very fast, so make sure you do a lot of research. I don't know your financial situation but there is a lot of money that goes into courses.

Driver: Tour Burner 10.5*
3 Wood: Hibore 15*
3 Hybrid: 3dx DC 20*
Irons: i5 4-PW
Gap Wedge: cg12 50*Sand Wedge: cg12 54*Putter: g5i anserIn my grom bag :)

Note: This thread is 5807 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!