IGNORED

Tiger's comments on Hockey

Ruckus
Note: This thread is 5798 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

ya its not that big of deal .

WAIT A MINUTE!!!! are you telling me all those Patriot fans I have seen in the last 6 years just might not know how to break down a 3-4 defense and that the prevent isn't some sort of birth control pill? That Eli Manning really hasn't been loved and revered his whole time in NY?

Dude, a warning before you drop a bombshell like that. Hockey is the greatest sport to watch live and one of the worst on TV. I have seen football, baseball and basketball all live and hockey live beats them hands down. Lest someone think that it was all scrubs. Favre in Lambeau, Bonds in Oakland, Jordan in Chicago (first 3 peat - his peak) and hockey? Well that was college and better than the rest. I have yet to attend a PGA event - would like to but $$ too much!

Andrew

• Replies 54
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

First of all, Tiger saying this doesn't make me hate him or anything, but I've played hockey since I was in the first grade and that comment really made me mad, and I'm sure it had the same effect on the millions of hockey fans out there. Hockey and golf might both be 'niche' sports but I'd say that fans of the big three sports (baseball, football, basketball) are more inclined to watch hockey than golf. I realize that this is only one comment by Tiger about hockey and doesn't neccesarily represent his view of the sport, but really, Tiger's should be smart enough not to say that. All in all though, It's not really that big of a deal.

Wow i just read this thread:

The point is much of the hockey community has lost respect for golfers due to comments like "does anyone even watch that anymore?" - it's a 2 way street.

I can't seem to find any comments by Gretzky saying golf is irrelevant and to be honest to hockey people - that's what Tiger did. I am of the opinion that if people worried less about who says what, and just went about their day, things would be a lot easier.

Andrew

I agree that tiger was out of line to say something like that, but for that community of hockey players to go off on everyone who plays golf?

I completely agree with Tiger.

I'm a fan of sports that I like and there are sports out there I could care less about. So why make him care about a sport he doesn't care for?

Big freaking deal. I've never liked hockey but don't judge people who do.

Stop being a girl.

"Everything will be ok in the end. If it's not ok, it's not the end."

Started playing - April 25th, 2008

In my bag: FT-5 Neutral Driver 9° 990B Irons Rifle Flighted Shafts (3-PW) Scotty Cameron Newport 2 Midslant Vokey wedges 252*08,256*12 and 260*04 PROV1xSequoyah National - A Robert Trent...

Tiger as the right to his opinion, but Hockey is the best sports ever (I know, I'm from canada). I'm may be biased a little so are the people south of the States.

I love Baseball, like football and could not care less about basketball and soccer.

What I would like to see is Tiger "swinging" a hockey stick while a 6'4'' 250 Lbs defenceman is trying to hit him when he can't even swing a golf club while a picture is taken. But maybe he just cannot ice skate at all. :)
(same comments apply to tennis even if I do like tennis)

That being said, I will still be a Tiger fan.

My congratulations to the Red Wings, the best team won and it was a great show.

Sorry if my english is not perfect, I'm a french-canadian.
Bonne journee a tous.

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

Lol at them thinking because we are golfers we can't take care of our selves.... I'd square up to someone who plays hockey any day.

I'm afraid some of the posters on that forum scream ignorance and hypocrisy, how dare you insult hockey... but I'll insult golf, losers!

In my Ping UCLAN Team Bag

Nike Sasqautch 9.5 - V2 Stiff
Cleveland HiBore 15 - V2 Stiff
Ben Hogan Apex FTX, 2 - PW - Dynamic Gold StiffNike SV Tour 52, 58 - Dynamic Golf StiffYes Golf Callie - 33 inchesBall - Srixon Z star X

He is definitely entitled to his opinion, but not entitled to make assumptions about what other people do. As a professional in the spot light, he should have at least seemed a little more interested. It not only makes him look bad, but possibly golf as a whole.

I did not ment to insult anyone, I love Golf, Tiger and all, I was just trying to say that hockey is a hard and physical sport that deserve respect. I just don't like the "No sound", "No whisper" kind of thing.

Anyway, hopes Tiger Wins the US Open and yes, I will watch it.

Personally speaking, I don't see what the big deal is.

I will say, first off, I didn't read the ENTIRE thread. So, as far as popularity in the U.S.--does anyone know if there are more golfers that hockey players in the country? And do you know the T.V. ratings of people watching golfing events vs. hockey games?

I like all sports. I watch tennis, hockey, Euro-Futbol, fishing. . .That's me.

But Tiger doesn't like hockey, and probably doesn't know a lot about the game because he obviously doesn't watch it or enjoy it.

He DID NOT say, "hockey players are brainless imbeciles that have no athletic ability or skill. They are boxers with pads on ice." He DID NOT say that.

If he said that, I could understand some angst towards him. Big deal, the #1 golfer in the world doesn't really like hockey, big friggin deal.

You are perfectly right, This is not a big deal at all.

I repeat I did not ment to offense golf (I play on every occasion I have) or any sports tha's what the :) on my comment was for.

I don't know if I would say Tiger disrespected Hockey players by saying he doesn't care who wins the Stanley Cup. I can care less as well, but respect the players as professional athletes. I mean really does anyone really watch Hockey, Soccer, etc.......????????? It is no secret that Hockey TV ratings have been terrible for years.

R9 460 9.5
R9 3-Wood
Irons AP1 4-PW
Wedge X-Forged 62*, 56*, 50*
Studio Select 34" MS Newport 2 TP Red

Personally I could care less what Tiger thinks about hockey. He stated his opinion and that's it. I'm a big hockey fan, but I'm not going to whine because the most recognized sports star in the world doesn't care about it. I try not to give too much credence to what high profile stars think about certain things, because not all of their opinions are important. As a whole, I don't have a problem with what he said.

Driver: Cobra S2 9.5 Fubuki 73 Stiff | Wood: Titleist 909H 17 Aldila Voodoo Stiff | Irons: Titleist ZB 3-5, ZM 6-PW DG S300 | Wedges: Titleist Vokey SMTC 50.08, 54.11, 60.04 DG S200 | Putter: Scotty Cameron Fastback 1.5 33" | Ball: Titleist Pro V1x

i gotta say i agree with him, i find hockey one of the most boring sports to watch. same with baseball. for some reason i find almost every american sport boring. yet i could watch an ashes test match all day! if you want excitement watch an afl game. that surely gets the heart pumping.

Driver: Taylormade R11 set to 8*
3 Wood: R9 15* Motore Stiff
Hybrid: 19° 909 H Voodoo
Irons: 4-PW AP2 Project X 5.5
52*, 60* Vokey SM Chrome

Putter: Odyssey XG #7

Ball: Titleist Pro V1x

Hmmm. I think a truly honest reply by Tiger would have included the words "I don't know anything about hockey." It might have been his whole answer.

I seem to recall Tiger years ago being asked at the Canadian Open if he knew how many provinces Canada has. He said he had no idea. (There are ten).

Tiger's no polymath. He should stick to golf.

As Iacas said earlier in the thread Tiger seemed to be an off mood, and wasn't going too suffer fools in that interview, his answers were blunt and to the point, he can't supply politically correct answers 100% of the time, if he's in a mood he's not going to be that friendly, same with all of us on this forum.

In my Ping UCLAN Team Bag

Nike Sasqautch 9.5 - V2 Stiff
Cleveland HiBore 15 - V2 Stiff
Ben Hogan Apex FTX, 2 - PW - Dynamic Gold StiffNike SV Tour 52, 58 - Dynamic Golf StiffYes Golf Callie - 33 inchesBall - Srixon Z star X

I find it hilarious to see posts that said "who's Tiger Woods?" I find it hard to believe that any even semi sports fan wouldn't know that name... for those of you who are not "hockey fans" can you name 3 hockey players in the NHL? (I can't).Probably because it's on Vs. and a great part of our country doesn't even get that channel. The comment that nobody watches hockey certainly would be more accurate for those of us in the US... C'mon, the only time I have seen hockey on the tv in the past few years was when they had one of the games outside somewhere, and that was apparently a big deal.. Not that hockey is a bad sport, but it has never been a draw in the US and it is a bitch to try to follow that puck on tv. Hats off to those of you that can follow it. Maybe it was offputing to the "real" hockey fans back when FOX put that glowing tracer around the puck years ago, but I thought that was a great idea...... and thats all I've got to say about that....

in my grom stand bag:

Driver: HiBore 9.5* fujikura stiff
3w: HiBore 15* fujikura stiff
2i hybrid: HiBore fujikura stiff3-sw: MP-57 +1/2 2* up stiff steelPutter: 2ball SRT 36"GPS: SG3 Sky caddieCart:Clicgear 2.0Home Course: Lake Spanaway http://www.lakespanawaygc.com

Note: This thread is 5798 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!