IGNORED

Going through Putters

iacas
Note: This thread is 5898 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

1. 1. What is your approximate "Putter to Years" ratio? (see note in first comment)

• 5:1
    • 2:1
    • 1:1
    • 1:2
    • 1:5
    • 1:10

18 years, 2 putters. I don't know how to do that math?!

I've never believed in swicthing around clubs, and am a firm believer that's when something is wrong with my game that it's my fault (mentally or physically) not my club. Especially in the case of a putter. Sure there's new technology to give you some extra yards in your drives. But a putting stroke is a putting stroke.

First one, Ping B60. Putter since 1995, Birdgestone Rextar that I won in Japan. I've actually done some shopping around for B60s on eBay, just to have it back in my arsenal because it is such a good putter to my eye.

And for the record, Scotty Camerons are overpriced pieces of doodoo! hahahaa.

Callaway RazrFit Extreme 9.5 w/Project X 6.5
Callaway XHot Pro 15* 3Wood w/Project X 6.5
Callaway XTour 18* 2h w/S300
Callaway XHot Pro 4/5 irons w/S300
Callaway XForged III 5-PW irons w/S300
Callaway Forged 52*/58* Wedges
Odyssey 7 Versa 90
Callaway Hex Black Tour

• 1 month later...
  • Replies 74
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Just starting out I have tried about every cheap putter I could get ahold of, even though I know it is me and not the putters missing all the shots. Still, I want one that feels just right and allows me to hang my arms comfortably straight down and lets me keep my wrists pretty neutral. So I started with the blade that came with my begginers set. Then a wierd looking cheapy from Dicks that looked like a Scotty Cameron Futura rip off (it was too tingy sounding). Then a Wilson Mallet (didn't like the center shaft, I tried the one with the heel shaft at Golf Galaxy but when I went back to buy it I grabbed the wrong one). Next was another Dicks cheapy, an Acuity (that I almost like due to the "T" alignment thing but the fit is not quite right. And finally I snagged a 33" Never Compromise. The feel is not great, but the fit is absolutly perfect. So time will tell...

I based my vote on the last couple years, but if it were averaged out I'd be at like 3.5 years to each putter. The rate has definitely been on the increase.

In high school, I picked up a cheap Wilson Black Max that lasted until I was in my mid thirties anyway.
Then, in (let's say) '98, I bought an Odyssey DualForce while on vacation in Myrtle.
I replace it with a Two-ball in '01 (The Dual Force wound up in my wife's bag).
Picked up an old Bobby Grace Payday off a used rack in '02 that got some limited play.
Found a used Scotty Cameron Platinum Laguna 2 that retired the Two-ball to my wife's bag in late '03 (it stayed there for about a year, but she went back to the Dual Force this year).
Bought a Yes! Callie Spring '05 that met an unfortunate end last Fall when a coworker used it to smack some nails (don't ask).
With the reimbursement money from the coworker (I "let" him buy the Callie, of course) I bought a Yes! Tracy II that in a short time has helped me get over the loss of Callie.

Still I'm eyeing the new Cameron Newport 2.5 and a few other toys. I figure at the rate I'm going, I'll be buying 4 putters a year by the time I'm 45.

Outside of a dog, a book is man's best friend.
Inside of a dog, it's too dark to read.
--Groucho Marx

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

• 3 weeks later...
I have 3 putters and it's almost embarassing. I have a Scotty Cameron Newport 2, Ping G5i Craz-E and a Ping G5i Tess. I switch putters depending on the greens of the course and how I am playing lately. I like it when my putter is hot and it happens often because I have the choice to switch putters.

Driver: Cleveland Launcher Comp 9.5 stiff
Fairway Wood: 2006 Cleveland Launcher Steel FW 15 Stiff
Hybrid: Cleveland Halo graphite stiff
Irons: Titleist 704.CB 3-PW Stiff
Wedges: Titleist Vokey 52, 56, 60Putters: Scotty Cameron Newport 2, Ping G5i Craz-EBall: Titleist Pro V1

2 putters in 4 years. Started with an terrible Odyssey blade-style putter and this year I bought my Scotty Cameron American Classic III blade, which I love.

Jeff Gladchun

In my bag:
Driver: TaylorMade R7 Quad, 9.5°, Aldila NV
3 Wood: Titleist 904F, 15°, YS-6+ StiffIrons: Titleist 695CB 3-PWWedges: Titleist Vokey 252.08, SM56.10 SM60.08Putter: Odyssey White Steel #5 Center-ShaftBall: TaylorMade TP Black / Titleist ProV1xHome Course: Oakland Hills...

I've used two putters. One handmedown from when I first started playing in 1973, then when my family went to Palm Springs in 1980 for a vacation we bought a Ping blade putter at the pro shop. I've been using that putter ever since - 25 seasons.

But I like some of the new blade putters, and am planning on buying a new one this spring. I figure that one will last me another 25 years!

hcp: 31-32, best: 24 in 2002
Golfsmith HICOR 400cc 11.5 (slow graphite 48") - distance
Vulcan 300cc 10 (slow graphite 46") - accuracy
Vulcan 7-wood - might be replaced this year with a hybrid 2-iron
Lynx Black Cat TI (graphite, +1 inch) 3-PW - they arrived!!Alien 60 regular steelPing Zing 1980http...

I've been using a PING Anser for two years, and I just bought a PING My Day this past September. Both used, but in ok condition. I tried a Scotty Cameron Coronado out the other day, SWEEEET! But just a little too rich for my blood right now.

Matt Karlak
a.k.a. The Undaunted Duffer

Driver: GT Xtreme
3 Wood: EVO5 Wood: Tight LiesHybrid: 3 ironIrons: X16's 4-SWPutter: AnserBall: DT SoLo

• 3 weeks later...
I can't believe I never replied to this topic.

My ratio is about 1:3 I guess. I've had three putters in almost nine years of playing golf.

I started off with a Dunlop piece of junk from Wal-Mart. It was cheap and it put the ball in the hole....eventually.

I then moved on to a TearDrop putter, which lasted me four or five years probably. I never really got the feel for it, but I also never had the money to buy a new one.

When I graduated college two years ago, my in-laws bought me an Odyssey White Hot putter, and I am doing ok with it. I don't really like to tinker with my golf equipment much like some of you, but I am wanting to get my hands on a Scotty Cameron putter. That's probably the only thing I want in 2006.

• 2 weeks later...
8 putters in 2.5 years.
Gauge design Japan is the best out of all the putters I tried

Rick T.
A Big Equipment Freak!!!
Life is too short not to tried everything out there

In the BagDriver: SuperQuad 10.5 REG BABYWoods: TP 3 or 5 woods R7 stiffIrons: AP1 4-PW w/Project X 5.5Wedge: Spin milled 54 (bent to 52) 56 & Special Grind "P" 60Putter: Gauge Design Japan " The Balde"Ball:...

• 11 months later...
I "voted" 1:2, but I think it's probably more like 1:4. I just got a Yes! Natalie off ebay and haven't used it yet except in my living room. For the last 15 (or so years), I've been using a Ping Anser, a Ping Pal and an Odyssey DF990. Many years ago I had a white w/black stripes Ram Zebra and I vaguely remember (probably from '90 or earlier) having a black Titleist blade (sort of similar to a Ping Pal or Anser), an Acushnet Bulls Eye and a Wilson 8813. Possibly (probably) even others, but none except Ping Anser, Ping Pal, Odyssey DF990 and Yes! Natalie since the early '90s.

putting is the key to confidence in golf. So that's what I go for in a putter. If I'm having issues with my putting stroke, I'll practice until the sun goes down, but I won't switch putters.

I was fit with my Scotty last year, and it drastically changed my confidence on the greens. My lie and loft were off by a few degrees, and now the pure roll is absolutely perfect with my stroke, so I won't be switching anytime soon.

I prefer blade putters, so much like Tiger, I don't plan on getting a newer one anytime in the near future. He's had his newport FOREVER, and it shows because he is very confident in it.

So my challenge to each of you is this, if you are having issues with your putter, go get "fit" with it at your local shop...you will get back that confidence you once had with that particular putter, and it will last much longer in your bag!

Happy trails!
Ping i15 8.5 Stock Stiff
Titleist 906F2 13* w/UST V2 FW 92g X

Titleist AP2 3-GW (KBS Tour)
Cleveland CG14 Black Pearl (56/60)

Titleist Cameron Futura 34" & Titleist ProV1x

I'm not sure if I voted right but I've had 5 putters in 13 years of playing.

Ray Cook Billy Baroo 93'-'94
Ping J Blade 94'-97'
Odyssey Dual Force Rossie 2 97'-04'
Odyssey 2 Ball Putter (35") 04'-05'
Odyssey 2 Ball Putter 05'-Present

Would the two two ball putters count as one even though one is a belly putter???

You know truck drivers and math are like kryptonite to Superman.

What's in my bag
Driver: Taylor Made R7 425 9.5 degrees UST Proforce 65 shaft
3 Wood: Taylor Made V Steel 15 degrees
Taylor Made Rescue Dual 22 degrees (UST IROD shaft)
Irons: Mizuno MP-67 (bent 1 degree upright)Gap Wedge: Mizuno R Series Black Nickle 52 Sand Wedge: Mizuno R Series Black Nickle...

i had (and still have) a ping zing 2 for 10 years until i switched to a scotty last season. i have quite a few putters, mostly various bullseye models, and a old odyssey mallet, but none have ever made it into the bag for a round; only the ping and the scotty. putting is mostly about feel and confidence for me, so when a putter feels good and i have confidence in that putter, it stays in the bag.

in the bag:
driver-titleist D2 10.5* w/aldila nv shaft
3-adams speedline fast 10 w/aldila shaft
hybrid-titleist 585 17* w/aldila shaft
irons-titleist 735cm w/ttdg s-300 shafts

wedges-cleveland 588, 53* and 60* w/ttdg shafts

putter-scotty circa 62 #1, gun metal finish

ball-pro v1

shoe-dryjoys

Putters are the only thing I seem to keep for a "long" time. I had my Odyssey for around 3 years before I got my Scotty. Might be getting a rather old Scotty Studio as well that I'd send in to be restored.
Driver: SQ 9.5* w/ Aldila NV 65 Stiff
3 Wood: X-Tour 13* w/ Aldila NV 65 Stiff
Irons: 3-PW 695MB w/ True Tempor Dynamic Gold S300
Wedges: Vokey 250.08 Oil Can, 254.10 Oil Can, SM60.08 Tour Chrome
Putter: Scotty Cameron Circa 62 #3

3 putters in 30 years. I only change when I find something that feels better, and that doesn't happen very often. I don't change when I start putting badly, I go to the practice green and figure out what I'm doing wrong... believe it or not, that works. I've tried most of the putters that I can actually stand to look at in Golfsmith. I hate a mallet, and some of those strange things out now look they'd be better used for branding cattle.

I've found a couple that I like as much as I do my 7 year old Odyssey DF992, but none that feel better, and that's my only real criterium for changing. I like my putter, it works for me, and I'm sure not going to spend $300 on a Cameron that basically feels the same as my $84 Odyssey.

Rick

"He who has the fastest cart will never have a bad lie."

Actually it is three putters in 24 years, but one was a exact replacement of one that broke when I threw it ahead of me towards the green when I chipped. It landed straight up and down and broke at the hosel. I have played a Ping anser forever. I do have a Hogg putter which I use when the greens are slow. Thats it. I do experiment with grips, anywhere from oversized to really oversized.

1W Cleveland LauncherComp 10.5, 3W Touredge Exotics 15 deg.,FY Wilson 19.5 degree
4 and 5H, 6I-GW Callaway Razr, SW, LW Cleveland Cg-14, Putter Taylor Made Suzuka, Ball, Srixon XV Yellow

I've been using the same putter for about the last 15 years, previous to that I went through about 15 of them in 10 years, some only lasted a round or two and others lasted a year or two. Im always picking up new putters and borrowing them for a putt when I see something nice but I like the old one too much. I've putted well with it and I've putted poorly with it but over the years I have built up a lot of trust with the thing so it's staying.

Unless I find something else that I REALLY like

Note: This thread is 5898 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!