IGNORED

Tiger has the yips?

bunkerputt
Note: This thread is 4766 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

Originally Posted by franky21

I totally agree it does make everything a little more interesting knowing he is making a charge. I think it makes the others try harder knowing he is on there tails.

That must be why Tiger has never won a major when he didn't have the 54 hole lead.  All those other guys were just trying harder!

This is what happens when you go from using a real putter to a nike

Awesome! Love it!

Yonex Ezone Type 380 | Tour Edge Exotics CB Pro | Miura 1957 Irons | Yururi Wedges | Scotty Cameron Super Rat | TaylorMade Penta

Originally Posted by rebby

Quote:

Originally Posted by Kenny D

Awesome! Love it!

I have to disagree on that one, i had a scotty cameron kombi and honestly hated it.

Originally Posted by Kenny D

I assume you said that at least partially tongue-in-cheek, but I disagree. I have a Nike Unitized that is as good feeling as any putter I've ever used, and the Method is one of the best putters out there.

In my bag:

Driver: Titleist TSi3 | 15º 3-Wood: Ping G410 | 17º 2-Hybrid: Ping G410 | 19º 3-Iron: TaylorMade GAPR Lo |4-PW Irons: Nike VR Pro Combo | 54º SW, 60º LW: Titleist Vokey SM8 | Putter: Odyssey Toulon Las Vegas H7

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

Speaking form experience... Tiger does not have the yips.  If he did he would have missed the cut by 10 shots on those greens.  What he lacks is confidence.  That's all putting is.  Did anyone see that Jim Nantz thing before the Masters on Sunday?  Those guys used the wristy old style putting  with no problem, mostly because they believed they would make em.

That was a tape of the '75 Masters. The greens were markedly slower in that era, even at Augusta, which contributed to the pop style of putting.

BTW, believe it or not Tiger has not missed a putt inside 3 feet this year according to the official stats. The misses certainly looked shorter than 3 feet once or twice last week but on PGATOUR.com the official "Putting from 3 feet or Less" category lists Tiger as 115 for 115 this year, one of 52 players yet to miss. And it's updated through the Masters.

If we're focusing on the yips the question should be targeted at Ernie Els. He's already missed 9 times inside 3 feet this year, the most on tour.

• Upvote 2

Originally Posted by Awsi Dooger

BTW, believe it or not Tiger has not missed a putt inside 3 feet this year according to the official stats. The misses certainly looked shorter than 3 feet once or twice last week but on PGATOUR.com the official "Putting from 3 feet or Less" category lists Tiger as 115 for 115 this year, one of 52 players yet to miss. And it's updated through the Masters.

If we're focusing on the yips the question should be targeted at Ernie Els. He's already missed 9 times inside 3 feet this year, the most on tour.

The 3' and under stat includes mainly tap-ins. It might be more telling that Woods is currently 95th in converting putts from 3-5', and 109th in converting putts from 5-10'.  That might be be a better indicator of putting woes,  those are the knee-knockers and reasonable birdie attempts and par saves.

Originally Posted by Awsi Dooger

That was a tape of the '75 Masters. The greens were markedly slower in that era, even at Augusta, which contributed to the pop style of putting.

That is a very good stat you just shared with us. How can you disagree with that.

Originally Posted by franky21

That is a very good stat you just shared with us. How can you disagree with that.

Entirely logically, as in the post immediately above yours?

Stretch.

"In the process of trial and error, our failed attempts are meant to destroy arrogance and provoke humility." -- Master Jin Kwon

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

Originally Posted by Harmonious

The 3' and under stat includes mainly tap-ins. It might be more telling that Woods is currently 95th in converting putts from 3-5', and 109th in converting putts from 5-10'.  That might be be a better indicator of putting woes,  those are the knee-knockers and reasonable birdie attempts and par saves.

I agree with that. And if you look at those putting categories and input the numbers into Excel spreadsheets -- as I have -- for more than a decade for use in betting head-to-head matchups, you wonder how Tiger ever gained the reputation as an awesome putter. He's been far down the list in key categories time after time. In particular, his putting in the 10-15 foot range varies dramatically from year to year, he's had many lousy years with high 3 putt percentage above 3%, and there have been seasons when it's laughable how few putts he holes outside 25 or 35 feet.

Tiger has always been an aggressive and dependable short putter and, of course, he's made memorable clutch putts in big events. That contributes to a reputation above reality in terms of overall putting excellence.

Note: This thread is 4766 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!