IGNORED

When are you "happy" with a round?

Soup Fan
Note: This thread is 5797 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

What makes you happiest after you shoot? Are you only happy if you score well? Are you happy if you don't score well but have a nice shot or two? Are you happy just to be outside on a nice day even if your game is bad and you loose a couple sleeves of Pro V1s?

For me, because I am working on taking my game to a higher level, I have found that I am taking a lot more positives away, even when I don't score well. So much of what I am working on are intangible things like decision making and thought process on the course, so even when I know it wasn't a good round I have found myself happy as long as I have done something more consistently or advanced in some area of the game that I never took into consideration before.

My last round, after noticing that the flags were color coordinated based on location, I clubbed up because I knew the blue flag was the back of the green and I realized the fairway marker was to the center. While I chunked the shot and in the end it didn't make a difference, it is just the kind of thing that I never would have though of before and I was happy with myself for making that kind of decision on the course instead of just aiming for the green as a whole, I was aiming for an area of the green.

So when are you content? I'd like to hear from all handicaps here.

Blog Internetz | Twitter | Rolling Knolls
----
Super LoCo 457cc 10*
Tight Lies 16* & 13*
Recovery 21* Pure Distance 4-PW Diadic 52* and raw 588 60* Anser 4 blade U-Tri Tour

If I am playing a nice course or on vacation I am happy despite not playing my best (this only goes so far though). A spectacular shot will also help make up for a bad round in general... as will winning money or some such thing on a bet, skin, or closest. Generally though... what makes me most happy is playing my best... not leaving many shots "out there". Don't get me wrong... I almost always enjoy myself, but I am one of the most competitive people I know, for better or worse, and playing well is very important to me. When I play with my wife I also take pleasure from here playing well or learning something new. Sometimes crazy shit like playing in a downpour, or 45 holes in a day, or falling in a lake can be fun... or at least fun to look back on.

The most fun will be that one day when I knock in my first ACE!

My Clubs: Callaway FT-i Tour LCG 9.5° w/ Matrix Ozik Xcon 6 stiff; Sonartec GS Tour 14° w/ Graphite Design Red Ice 70 stiff; Adams Idea Pro 2h(18°) & 3h(20°) w/ Aldila VS Proto 80 stiff; Adams Idea Pro Forged 4-PW w/ TT Black Gold stiff; Cleveland CG12 DSG RTG 52°-10° & 58°-10°; Odyssey...

I like being outside but I also really am looking to score at least 1 par a round. Isn't much to the guys here but the game itself means less to me than the time outside with friends.

Would I like to be better? Sure but I really don't have the time or money to worry about it. Too much life in the way.

Andrew

I am happy when I consistently hit par-3 greens on the tee shot, and a few par-4 greens on the approach; And when I'm feeling very confident with my short game. Scoring under 100 always helps! Still working on breaking 90!

when I shoot in the mid to high 80's like I know I am capable of. I hate shooting in the 90's. I also enjoy rounds where I putt well, too many 3 putts and I tend to look back on the round and get upset.

In my freestyle:
Driver: 10.5* G5 with UST V2
F.W. wood: 16* retro raylor with Aldila HM-40 Tour Gold
Irons: i5 3-pw. Stiff cs lite shafts
Wedges: 8620 51*, 56*, and 60* Putter: classics 1 34""Life is tough. It's tougher if you're stupid." -John Wayne

Good question Soup Fan.

Im happy with a round when all the practice I have put into the game is showing on the golf course. That doesn't always mean score. I could be happy with a fairly bad score as long as I did some things well during the round that I had been trying to improve on.
Sticks
driver- X460 tour 9.5 Aldila NVS 75
irons- X-forged 3-PW TT BlackGold stiff
wedges- x-tour vintage 52, 56, 60
hybrid- FT-hybrid #2 17* putter- Sophia 33" "If everything seems under control, you're just not going fast enough."_Mario Andretti

I'm happy when I don't do things like 3 putts or hit the driver right into the woods and stuff like that. If I keep the ball in play for a whole round and don't screw up on the greens basically.
In my bag:
Driver: : D2 8.5°
fairway wood: 906 15°
Hybrid: 585H 19°
Irons: 4-PW 695MBWedges: 52° 56° & 60° CG12Putter: Bettinardi C-Series (Carbon Steel)Ball: Pro V1x

I'm happy to get outdoors and breath the fresh air, smell the flowers. Golf is only of secondary importance.

WEAPONS:
Taylormade R9 10.5 L Grafalloy Prolaunch Platinum stiff 65g
Taylormade R9 15 NU YS+6 stiff 65g
Taylormade R9 19 NU YS+6 stiff 65g
Taylormade Tour Preferred 4-PW KBS Tour X-Stiff Cleveland CG12 RTG+ DSG 51Cleveland CG12 RTG+ DSG 55Cleveland CG12 RTG+ DSG 59Yes! Tracy II putterTitleist...

I'm always disappointed if I don't score well. My regular course is fairly short with quite wide fairways (par 68) so if I feel I need to score under 75 to be happy with my round.

Also playing well in the short game areas always satisfies me. I'd rather score 78 and scramble well than 77 with loads of GIR's.

Driver - RAM FX V
3 Wood - Callaway Steelhead Hybrid - Mizuno MP Fli-Hi 21 degree
Irons - Titleist DCI 4-PW
Wedges - Cleveland CG10, 52, 56, 60 degree
Putter - Rife Antigua

A combination of 1 or more of these things...

-Breaking 90
-Decent day getting off the tee (I have been trying to improve my consistency with a driver off the tee)
-0 penalty shots or lost balls (I currently average about 4.5 per round)
-No triple or quadruple bogeys (I really want to be more consistent and avoid the huge blow up holes that destroy my round)
-No 3 putts (especially on holes where I already have a penalty)

I'm happy when I finish and look back over the round and work out that the score I had was within a shot or two of the best I could have had on the day. Sometimes that might be 5 over par and sometimes it might be 2 under, the score is not the relevant thing, it's the score being as good as it could have been that is. I have had days where I finished 7 over par and been very happy, and I have had even par and been disappointed.

I feel like i am happy when I hit the ball well, and also if I score well.
Although, I know to score well, you normally don't have to hit it well but you have to putt and chip well.
Driver Titleist 905R 9.5* (Stiff Prolaunch Blue 65g)
Hybrid: PT 585.H 17 * (Stiff titleist 75g shaft)
Irons: 695.cb 3-9 ( Dynamic Gold S300)
Wedges: 735.CM 47* PW, Vokey 200 series 50.08 Oil Can Vokey Spin Milled 54.10 Tour chrome, Vokey Spin Milled 58.08 Oil canPutter: Wilson Staff Kirk Kurrie #1[CO.....

Breaking 90 always makes me feel like I had an amazing round for me... aside from that a few things makes me happy with a round:

Blasting a drive or 2 way out there and keeping the majority of my tee shots in the fairway.
hitting that perfect wedge shot (sucked one back to about 1 foot last night)
a birdie or 2.

Theres more... im a pretty easy guy to keep happy in terms of golf. Even if I have a craptastic game I can still be happy with the round depending on the company.

In the Ogio stand bag

909 D2 w/ VooDoo S
15.5* 906F4 w/ Aldila VS Proto 80S
3DX DC 3 HybridFP 4-GW56* and 60* Vokey SM wedgeSophia putter

Never. Secretly I think if all the facets of my game are on I can break par. So never. I always feel like left shots out there.

Maybe you should also post another thread: What kind of round will have you almost throwing your golf clubs into the nearest lake?

:)

Im happy with a round generally when i execute as well as i can and dont hit terrible shots that lead to blow out holes. If ive been consistant through the round ill be happy with it regardless of what i score. Ive been just as happy with an 85 as I have been with a 75. Bad scores are going to happen, so i find its pointless to foucs on them.
THE WEAPONS CACHE..

Titleist 909 D2 9.5 Degree Driver| Titleist 906f4 13.5 degree 3-Wood | Titleist 909 17 & 21 degree hybrid | Titleist AP2 irons
Titleist Vokey Wedges - 52 & 58 | Scotty Cameron Studio Select Newport 2 Putter | ProV1 Ball

I'm happy as long as I avoid snowmen at all costs. I guess one snowman a round on a par 5 would be acceptable to me, but 2 snowmen and my round literally...uh...snowballs.

:P
In the bag Nike SasQuatch SuMo 10.5* {} Tiger Shark Hammerhead 3w, 5w, 3h {} Nickent 3DX Pro 5i-PW {} Titleist Vokey 250.08* {} Cleveland CG11. 54* {} Callaway X-Tour 58.11* {} Carbite Tour Classic Putter {} Titleist ProV1x

i'm happy if my ball striking is good
if i try to shape shots and it works out the way i planned
and overall if i keep my score in the mid 80's i'm happy.

but the other day, my ball striking was great....on in 2 basically most of the time... when i wasn't, i was putting within 15 feet for par...all the par 3's i was on in 1....but my putting was terrible...what could've been a round in the high 70's/low 80's turned into a 90! GROSS but the shot shaping was there....my putting's just been gross lately.
DJ Yoshi
Official DJ: Rutgers Football
Boost Mobile Tour
In My Bag
HiBoreXL 9.5 White Board D63 Stiff Exotics CB2 5 Wood, Exotics CB3 3 Wood MP-60 5.5 Flighted Shafts 54 & Cleveland CG-10 60 Newport 2

Note: This thread is 5797 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!