IGNORED

Miller should aplogies to Rocco's

kregan
Note: This thread is 5797 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

• Administrator
One thing I've found by using the internet is that people of different generations have very different tastes in humor and wit. I'll post something obvious to me and my generation as tongue in cheek wit and a different generation will take it as dead serious and be very critical leaving me very bewildered.

The difference there is there's no tone of voice online. It's tough to tell HOW someone means something.

Not so in Johnny's case with this comment. It's clear it was a joke, and another way of setting up the "David vs. Goliath" battle that was unfolding. "Who's this guy think he is, taking on Tiger Woods - he looks like the guy who cleans Tiger's pool, yet he leads by one in the U.S. Open." That's not insulting, particularly when mixed with all the other compliments Johnny gave Rocco all day. And love him or hate him, you watched, and now you're talking about him. Occasionally Johnny's a bit of a troll, but that's part of his success.

Erik J. Barzeski —  I knock a ball. It goes in a gopher hole. 🏌🏼‍♂️
Director of Instruction Golf Evolution • Owner, The Sand Trap .com • AuthorLowest Score Wins
Golf Digest "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17 & "Best in State" 2017-20 • WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019 :edel: :true_linkswear:

Check Out: New Topics | TST Blog | Golf Terms | Instructional Content | Analyzr | LSW | Instructional Droplets

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

Even espn this morning is tearing Rocco apart...who am I to defend I guess it's no big deal, but for people saying that Rocco doesn't deserve to be there???? Have you watced the tournament, he was fairways and greens all week, period. You do that at Torrey Pines in those conditions, I don't care if you're an amateur, you deserve to be in the posotion he is in. O fcourse I would like to see Tiger win for the experience of seeing history in the making, but I wouldn't be upset if Rocco won....any body remember how many runner-ups Jack Nicholas had????

r11s TP 9 Aldila RIP'd NV 65 S
Burner Tour Launch TS 13 UST V2 S
TP Rescue 17 RE*AX TP85 H S
Tour Preferred Irons 3-AW Project X 5.5
Z Smoke TP Wedge 56/12 Project X 5.5 

Ghost Tour DA-12

Penta TP/Pro V1/Hex Black

I thought Millers comment below was way out of line.

I noticed that nobody has a sense of humor if a color man says this stuff.

If Lewis Black said it, you would piss your pants.

Best, Mike Elzey

In my bag:
Driver: Cleveland Launcher 10.5 stiff
Woods: Ping ISI 3 and 5 - metal stiffIrons: Ping ISI 4-GW - metal stiffSand Wedges: 1987 Staff, 1987 R-90Putter: two ball - black bladeBall: NXT Tour"I think what I said is right but maybe not.""If you know so much, why are you...

Actually, I thought Bob Costas was worse with his comments on the British cuisine - more insulting, typical American ethnocentricity....

WTIB:
Callaway FT-9 Tour 9.5° Scads of shafts - now: Kai'li 63 stiff
Tour Edge Exotics 3 & 5 FW
Callaway X-22 Tour irons
Bobby Jones 3 & 4 hybridsRife Abaco/Odyessy Black Series i9 puttersWith a few more hangin' around

He doesn't look like a modern professional golfer..

oh please, and just what does a modern day golfer really look like, please explain?..

Mikelz, I don't know what you are trying to say?

All I know is my first gut reaction was it sounded like a personal insult. I only started watching golf this year so I don't know everyones reputation and could be wrong. I had seen Rocco on Personal Lessons and he seemed like a nice guy. I thought the comment was in bad taste. As for this being a generational thing... I thought golf was about honor and respect, I don't think those things go out of style. Also I missed Bob's comments on the open, I had it on DVR and I think I skipped forward at that point.
I noticed that nobody has a sense of humor if a color man says this stuff.

Kelly

www.finescale360.com

Don't know if I'm correct, but I think he meant that if a comedian says something along the lines of what Johnny said than people will laugh. But since it was a commentator of a sporting event then the audience/environment is different and not as flexible to a joke. Something like that, and I had similar thoughts to mikelz on this subject. Nothing against pool cleaners obviously but Rocco isn't what the typical PGA professional looks like and that's definitely not a bad thing. I mean, he was wearing 4-5 US Open pins on his hat, his player identification medallion, and a belt buckle that was a peace sign. Compared to the rest of the tour which is typically strictly business and proper, Rocco is like the average joe seeing his first major tournament. Which like I said earlier, is a breath of fresh air.
My Clubs
Driver: HiBore XL 10.5*
3-Wood: SS-01
Hybrid: 503H 22*
Irons: Deep Red II TourSand Wedge: CG10 56*Lob Wedge: CG10 60*Putter: V Foil GT M6.4KBall: ProV1

But since it was a commentator of a sporting event then the audience/environment is different and not as flexible to a joke. Rocco is like the average joe seeing his first major tournament. Which like I said earlier, is a breath of fresh air.

Good post, sorry if I chopped it up in my quote. I agree 105%. Never really knew that Rocco was such a grinder, long lasting pro till this weekend, he's got a new fan, and someone my kids can try to imitate. Great Win Tiger, glad we all get to see perfection in many different aspects.

In the Bag...Ping Hoofer

3dx Tour Square - UST V2 HMOI X Flex
3dx 15* - X flex
Baffler DWS 20* Aldila NV Stiff 4-GW 600XC Forged Irons- S Flex 55* SW - Burner XD 60* LW - Burner XD Craz E Putter <----ProV1x---> Pellet

• Administrator
oh please, and just what does a modern day golfer really look like, please explain?..

More fit. And yeah, it's really that simple. Even Phil Mickelson has put down the Haagen-Dazs and is working out.

Johnny said what a lot of people were thinking, and it was a light-hearted way to emphasize the David vs. Goliath battle we were seeing. It's that simple. To get upset over that comment is stupid. Rocco would laugh it off. He's made several remarks like that about himself.

Erik J. Barzeski —  I knock a ball. It goes in a gopher hole. 🏌🏼‍♂️
Director of Instruction Golf Evolution • Owner, The Sand Trap .com • AuthorLowest Score Wins
Golf Digest "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17 & "Best in State" 2017-20 • WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019 :edel: :true_linkswear:

Check Out: New Topics | TST Blog | Golf Terms | Instructional Content | Analyzr | LSW | Instructional Droplets

what's so wrong with miller insulting a few people? i do it quite a bit and find it to be quite fun

They will beat their swords into golf clubs and their spears into putters. Nation will not take up sword against nation, nor will they train for war anymore. Old Tom Morris 2:4

It was wrong - But Rocco made him eat his words by coming within' one stroke of the U.S. Open.

In my bag:
Driver: 907D1 10.5*, Aldila Spec-Grid S67 reg
Woods: Looking for a wood. Titleist 906F4 or Nike CPR.
Utility: CPR 2-3 hybrids, 22*-26*Irons: 755 Forged 4-PW, Tri-Spec Steel RegWedges: Vokey 200 series 56.10 SW, 60.04 LWPutter: Tracy 33"Ball: DT CarryI mark my Titleist by...

Mikelz, I don't know what you are trying to say?

I said it was a good joke and worthy of being said by Lewis Black.

I didn't say, but I guess I will now, that Rocco himself can take a joke. I guess the new favorite sport around here is broadcaster hating.

Best, Mike Elzey

In my bag:
Driver: Cleveland Launcher 10.5 stiff
Woods: Ping ISI 3 and 5 - metal stiffIrons: Ping ISI 4-GW - metal stiffSand Wedges: 1987 Staff, 1987 R-90Putter: two ball - black bladeBall: NXT Tour"I think what I said is right but maybe not.""If you know so much, why are you...

Its a shame Miller didnt say Tiger looks like someone who should be cleaning Roccos pool?..or perhaps not, thats even less funny.

Its just a bit of fun, some people have just got nothing better to do with themselves.

I thought it was kind of funny.

-Kevin
In the Nike Pro Tour Combo Bag:
907 D2 9.5*
906F2 18* 5W
585H 21* 3 Hybrid 735.CM 4-PW 51.06 MP-T & 56.13 MP-T White Hot #1

miller did him a favor, he should get a sponsorship from the pool cleaning industry

They will beat their swords into golf clubs and their spears into putters. Nation will not take up sword against nation, nor will they train for war anymore. Old Tom Morris 2:4

So wait.....the "modern golfer" looks more "fit" than Rocco??? Thats pretty funny to me. That obviously doesnt apply to 99% of the players at our club, and to a big percentage of players on tour.

I thought the comment was in good fun.....for all you guys know, Johnny and Rocco could be great friends, and he was just ribbing him some like we all do with friends.

I just think Johnny's a bit of a smartass. He's always said something silly, or off-center, at least when I've heard his commentary.

Interesting, I wasn't aware of it myself but after hearing that (which really grated MY ear, I can tell you), I can well believe you.

It's a bit disappointing. I thought the guy had more class than that. It was gratuitous (what, exactly, was his point?) and without humor or wit of any kind really. Brought him down a notch IMO. How much does he get paid to say things like that, someone remind me?

Driver: Cobra 460SZ 9.0, med.
3 Wood: Taylor stiff
3-hybrid: Nike 18 deg stiff
4-hybrid:
Taylor RBZ 22 deg regular
Irons:5-9, Mizuno MP30, steel
Wedges: PW, 52, 56, 60 Mizuno MP30
Putter: Odyssey 2-ball

Note: This thread is 5797 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!