IGNORED

Master "Forged vs. Cast" or "Blade vs. Game-Improvement" Iron Thread

muskegman
Note: This thread is 1412 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

Wow. Funny, I was at my local golfsmith store and I was talking to the clerk and he was raving about his forged irons. Sadly, I still play the same set I had in High School (Ping Eye 2's) and whenever I try to make the change to forged Irons or even to a new set of pings my game simply goes in the tank. I guess I've played with the same set for so long I'm just addicted to it......

although I would agree with iacas, if your goal is to really improve your game, you want the irons that offer the most feedback, which in turn gives you the best, no frills assesment of your game. I think this is where he feels the debate "bottoms out". Some are happy playing game improvement clubs but he would rather get the best feel and feedback to improve his game.

If I'm wrong, please, correct me.

Me? I don't even keep score most of the time now. I Ty Webb it.

Hi-Bore W/ Aldila NVS-65 (Stiff)
R5 Type N (TpConv), W/ Graphite Design YS-6+ (Stiff)
TA-5 Gumetal 5-PW, W/ Stock TA-5 Graphite shafts (Stiff)
588 Becu SW, LW, GW W/ True Temper S300 shafts
21* & 24* Viper Hybrids W/ UST proforce 65 shafts (Reg) R7 Ti 3 Wood W/ Re-Ax 60 Graphite (Stiff) Pal2...

k thanks iacas
What's In My Custom Bagboy Fleicshmans Bag:
Driver: Hibore with Aldila NV 65
Irons: CG2 Irons 3-PW
Wedges: 56 degree Reg.588 Tour Action Chrome Finish, 60 degree Vokey Design, vokey design 52*
Putter: milled series #3Hybrid: Rescue Mid 25 degree3 Wood: War HawkGolf Balls: Serious Play ...

Hi, I just joined...But anyways, I have played golf for a few years now and I have always used cavity backs because they are more forgiving. I play casually and usually shoot in the mid-high 80's. I had a question of my own- I was wondering which irons to buy the callaway x-20's, fusions, or fusion wide soles. Ebay has all of them, for great deals and I was just looking for some advice. Thanks.

Cavity backs, I am nowhere near skilled enough to use blades.

In My Bag:
Driver: Cobra F Speed 10.5°, Aldila NV 55g Regular
3 Wood: Cobra F Speed 15°, Aldila NV 55g Regular
Irons: Cobra 2300 I/M 3-PW
Wedge: Cobra M 54°Putter: Yes! SophiaBall: TaylorMade TP Red

Hi, I just joined...But anyways, I have played golf for a few years now and I have always used cavity backs because they are more forgiving. I play casually and usually shoot in the mid-high 80's. I had a question of my own- I was wondering which irons to buy the callaway x-20's, fusions, or fusion wide soles. Ebay has all of them, for great deals and I was just looking for some advice. Thanks.

Fusion! Golf Digest Gold Medalist 3 years in a row.

Because I use it and you should too. Just joking. It's just that I personally think they're really good. Easy to hit and not big sized like other game improvement irons.
What's in the bag:
Driver: r7 SuperQuad 10.5° ~ UST Proforce V2 65g Regular
Wood: 906F4 18.5° ~ Aldila VS Proto 80g Stiff
Irons: MP-60 3-PW ~ True Temper Tour Concept S3
Wedges: Vokey Oil Can 252.08, SM56.10 & SM60.08Putter: Marxman Mallet 33"

I just came back from a golf trip where I played 3 rounds of golf in 7 days. All I can say is that I shot 77, 78, 79 using my new Cleveland CG4 'cavity back' irons. Just a month ago I was golfing with my Mizuno MP29's that I have had for the past 8 years. I have NEVER shot 3 straight rounds in the 70's EVER. I know that I had mishit at least a half a dozen shots during those 3 rounds and these irons just didn't miss as much as my Mizuno's. In fact, I don't think I lost more than 5 yards of distance on those mishits and I certainly didn't miss much of the green thereby allowing me a 'chance' to save par. With the Mizuno's those misses would have translated to at least 10 yards and more dispersion from the green. The three rounds have helped lower my handicap index by 1.5. I was a 9.5 a week ago and now I am an 8.

Anyways, I am a firm believer of playing with the 'right' cavity backs. Research and choose wisely and you will be rewarded. Without the help on those half a dozen shots... my score would have likely been in the 80's. Not that scoring in the 80's is bad... I was just tired of not improving for so long.

What's In my bag:

Driver: TaylorMade R5 Dual 9.5* UST Proforce V2 77g S
3Wood: Mizuno F-60 13.5* Mizuno Exsar 75S
Hybrid: Adams Idea Pro 3/4 Aldila VS Proto 80SIrons: Adams Pro Forged (5-PW) True Temper Black Gold SWedges: Cleveland 588 (3) 50, 588 (DSG) 54 & 60Putter: Ping i-Series Craz-EBalls:.....

• Administrator
I just came back from a golf trip where I played 3 rounds of golf in 7 days. All I can say is that I shot 77, 78, 79 using my new Cleveland CG4 'cavity back' irons. Just a month ago I was golfing with my Mizuno MP29's that I have had for the past 8 years. I have NEVER shot 3 straight rounds in the 70's EVER. I know that I had mishit at least a half a dozen shots during those 3 rounds and these irons just didn't miss as much as my Mizuno's. In fact, I don't think I lost more than 5 yards of distance on those mishits and I certainly didn't miss much of the green thereby allowing me a 'chance' to save par. With the Mizuno's those misses would have translated to at least 10 yards and more dispersion from the green. The three rounds have helped lower my handicap index by 1.5. I was a 9.5 a week ago and now I am an 8.

I can switch to a "forgiving" cavity-back type club and hit some good golf shots too and shoot some good scores. Temporarily.

The problem I've had is staying at the same level, making good swings, hitting the ball consistently well. The less forgiving clubs, in addition to having a greater feel (and thus a greater reward for a nutted shot), do more to keep me hitting good shots. Less forgiving clubs don't punish being sloppy.

Erik J. Barzeski —  I knock a ball. It goes in a gopher hole. 🏌🏼‍♂️
Director of Instruction Golf Evolution • Owner, The Sand Trap .com • AuthorLowest Score Wins
Golf Digest "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17 & "Best in State" 2017-20 • WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019 :edel: :true_linkswear:

Check Out: New Topics | TST Blog | Golf Terms | Instructional Content | Analyzr | LSW | Instructional Droplets

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

I can switch to a "forgiving" cavity-back type club and hit some good golf shots too and shoot some good scores. Temporarily.

I understand where you are going with your statement completely. In fact, because I had my blades for so long I think what they did for me was refine my swing and make it a little tighter. I had no choice! I could not afford to be 'loose' with my swing hitting my blade long irons that looked like a pea pod at the end of the shaft. But my main reason I decided to go 'more forgiving' was because I lack the practice/playing time I use to get before I married and had a child (I've averaged 20 rounds/year for the past 3 years as opposed to my 40-50/year pre-marriage/kids).

Hopefully these cavity back sticks will help me post some good scores regularly. I only hope I don't regress and go back to a more loose swing which would then fuel the purchase of 'Maximum Game Improvement Irons'!

What's In my bag:

Driver: TaylorMade R5 Dual 9.5* UST Proforce V2 77g S
3Wood: Mizuno F-60 13.5* Mizuno Exsar 75S
Hybrid: Adams Idea Pro 3/4 Aldila VS Proto 80SIrons: Adams Pro Forged (5-PW) True Temper Black Gold SWedges: Cleveland 588 (3) 50, 588 (DSG) 54 & 60Putter: Ping i-Series Craz-EBalls:.....

Blades.

I've always had amazing skill with my irons.

someone told me to try blades instead of cavity backs, because i dont need the forgiveness as much as an average golfer.

i went to a demo with titleist recently and i tried their blades and i started hitting shots that i never thought i could hit.

fades and draws were so much easier and i started hitting shots that were right at the green on the range.

only if i could afford them!

905R
LD-F 3-Wood
Vokey Oil-Can 252-08 degree
Cobra C Wedge 56-11 Vokey Oil-Can 260-08 degree Scotty Cameron Newport 2 35'' Pro V1x

Currently I play old Blades and am in the market for a new set of Irons........now I just need to figure out what to get.
I've spent most of my life golfing - the rest I've just wasted.

In my bag todayâ¦.
Driver: 2009 S9-1 10.5
19d Hybrid4-SW:2008 FP 58/10 Mizuno MP T-10Putter: White Hot XG Sabertooth

Blades.

Of course you could! Just look for pre-owned blades iron. Generally, blade irons are cheaper than hi-tech multi materials game improvement irons.

Currently I play old Blades and am in the market for a new set of Irons........now I just need to figure out what to get.

Well, there's a lot of choices. If you love the feel of using blades I suggest you try Titleist and Mizuno.

What's in the bag:
Driver: r7 SuperQuad 10.5° ~ UST Proforce V2 65g Regular
Wood: 906F4 18.5° ~ Aldila VS Proto 80g Stiff
Irons: MP-60 3-PW ~ True Temper Tour Concept S3
Wedges: Vokey Oil Can 252.08, SM56.10 & SM60.08Putter: Marxman Mallet 33"

Well, there's a lot of choices. If you love the feel of using blades I suggest you try Titleist and Mizuno.

I'm leaning towards the Titleist 735's currently, do have Mizunos on the radar tho......

I've spent most of my life golfing - the rest I've just wasted.

In my bag todayâ¦.
Driver: 2009 S9-1 10.5
19d Hybrid4-SW:2008 FP 58/10 Mizuno MP T-10Putter: White Hot XG Sabertooth

Of course you could! Just look for pre-owned blades iron. Generally, blade irons are cheaper than hi-tech multi materials game improvement irons.

well, im 16 and i lack one of those job things (ew. working)

i just want to get them for senior year in high school. so im nice and ready for college golf. then off to the PGA tour. then off to rape tiger in the world rankings.

905R
LD-F 3-Wood
Vokey Oil-Can 252-08 degree
Cobra C Wedge 56-11 Vokey Oil-Can 260-08 degree Scotty Cameron Newport 2 35'' Pro V1x

• 2 weeks later...
Something to consider, I was reading the "Club Test" issue of Golf Magazine and in it they mentioned the approximate percentage of PGA Players still playing true "Blades". The overwhelming percentage of PGA Professionals play Cavity Back Irons. They made the statement to the effect, that if the best players in the world choose to play cavity backs, perhaps it would be a good idea for us regular folks to follow their lead.

True, many of the pros are not using blades anymore. One of the reasons for this is marketing. People want to buy what they see the pros hit on TV. But most players know that they cant hit blades, so the club manufacturers want the pros hitting with clubs that that a 10-20 handicap player can also use.

I am a rank amateur but I play 40 year old MacGregor blades and I'm able to hit them straight. I'm not able to play the ball like a pro but I can get the job done. I could upgrade but I'd rather save money and work out any bad habits rather than mask them with forgiving clubs.

i play cavity backs right now but im hoping to get my swing straightened out and upgrade in a year or 2. i dont see myself ever playing blades because i would rather hit a straight ball instead of shaping my shots. i will probabaly end up with some nice game improvement irons when im ready to upgrade.

In my wasabe green ozone bag:

Hibore 9.5° w/ UST V2 Stiff Shaft Driver

G10 15° 1H w/ UST V2 Stiff Shaft G10 18° 2H w/ UST V2 Stiff Shaft T-Zoid Pro 3-PW S300 CG10 52° 2 Dot Black Pearl CG10 56° 2 Dot Black Pearl Newport 2 TerylliumLow Score = 88

blades no questions asked

In the OGIO OZONE Bag
Driver: SuperQuad 9.5
3 Wood- V steel 15 ALDILA NV s
Irons- Hogan Apex FTX
Wedges- CG14 52 56Putter- Odyssey XG model #9Ball- Pro v 1 xShoes- Adidas Tour Metal

Blades, absolutely.. and I have hit so many kinds of irons, and always go back to blades. (been using my 690.MB forged blades for 3 years solid now)

While I truly believe Drivers, balls, shafts and grooves on irons have improved immensely, I'm just not sold on the whole cavity back thing.

The improvements are so minuscule... especially for a good ball striker unlike the other technologies I mentioned, those are definitely an advantage.

Note: This thread is 1412 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!