IGNORED

Master "Forged vs. Cast" or "Blade vs. Game-Improvement" Iron Thread

muskegman
Note: This thread is 1405 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

I don't know that the mx 23 is s forged.

In my Titleist Premium Stand Bag

909D3 8.5 VS Proto 70 X
909 f2 13.5 V2 75 x
G10 15 Degree Grafalloy Red X MP-32 3-pw X100 Vokey Spin 52, 56 SS Newport 2 Pro V1

What? The MX 23s are forged, cavity backs, not hard to check out.

My AP2s are similar. No they are not "blades", but I do like them better than cast, just comparing to the previous 2 sets of PINGs I had, and hitting some of the newer PING and other offerings before getting the Titleists.

Based on what I've sampled, I would not go back, and would stay with forged cavity backs or maybe a relatively forgiving blade.

909D3 (Voodoo, stiff)
King Cobra Comp 5w (YS 5.1 Stiff)
AP1 4,5; AP2 6-P; Vokey 252 08, SM56 14, SM60 08 (Nippon N.S. Pro 950GH Regular)
Newport 2 Mid Slant

Depends on the quality of the club. If it was cast, yet performed better and felt better than what I have, I'd get them.

Thought I cannot stand cast wedges, like Vokey's. They honestly have no feel, in my opinion, and I just can't get good feel out of a cast wedge.
In The Bag

Titleist 905T 9.5°
Nike Sumo2 15°
Nike Sumo2 19°Nike Forged Irons - 3-PW Titleist Bob Vokey Spin Milled 56°10°Scotty Cameron Pro Platinum Newport 2

It took me about a split second before Ping S58 irons popped in my head. Those things are GREAT feeling. I'd definitely play them!

Callaway RazrFit Extreme 9.5 w/Project X 6.5
Callaway XHot Pro 15* 3Wood w/Project X 6.5
Callaway XTour 18* 2h w/S300
Callaway XHot Pro 4/5 irons w/S300
Callaway XForged III 5-PW irons w/S300
Callaway Forged 52*/58* Wedges
Odyssey 7 Versa 90
Callaway Hex Black Tour

If they were better id play cast irons.

In My Hank Haney IJGA Bag
Driver: FT Tour 9.5 w/ Aldila Voodoo Stiff
3 Wood: i15 15.5 w/ avixcore red stiff
Hybrids: Rescue 09 19, 22 w/ fujikara fit on stiff
Irons: 4 & 5 MP-52, 6-PW MP-58 w/ KBS Tour Stiff Wedges: MP T-10 52*, 58* w/ KBS Tour StiifPutter: Fastback 1 34 inBall: : Pro...

iam pulling the trigger this year going from forged blades to cast cavity backs. This was a difficult decision for me since I have played forged irons my whole life. With the use of softer steel (ie 8620 carbon, or 431 stainless) the feeling isn't as harsh as I remember cast clubs back in the day. We will see how it goes. I have only been able to hit the new irons a few times so far due to snow LOL
IowaChop WITB
Driver:
Hyper X 9*
Fairway Metals:
Big Bertha (2004) 15*, 19*Hybrid:Big Bertha Heavenwood 23*Irons: 4-6 710 CB, 7-PW 710 MBWedges:655TM Fluid Forged Wedge (55/11*) CG 12 DSG 60/3*Putter: Tour Platinum 7801Ball: TP Black LDP
"Lick the lollipop of mediocrity once and you'll...

Forged vs. Cast? I play Ping I-10`s and Mizuno MP30`s-rotate out on what`s feeling good at the time. But,cast or forged both feel great to me,when properly struck! It`s all about the "dime" in the middle of the clubface,and a good swing.Just my 2 bits!

Cast irons last FAR longer. The long-life of cast clubs might outweigh the slight difference in feeling for some. I know that my i5s and s59s look almost as good as they did when brand new, but after two seasons of daily play and practice I've seen some MP-67s get shredded .

driver: FT-i tlcg 9.5˚ (Matrix Ozik XCONN Stiff)
4 wood: G10 (ProLaunch Red FW stiff)
3 -PW: :Titleist: 695 mb (Rifle flighted 6.0)
wedges:, 52˚, 56˚, 60˚
putter: Studio Select Newport 1.5

Im not so sure that there is a difference from cast to forged anymore. When even the pros say that there is no difference in feel from cast to forged, I very much doubt that us weekend hacks can tell the difference.

Whats in my :sunmountain: C-130 cart bag?

Woods: :mizuno: JPX 850 9.5*, :mizuno: JPX 850 15*, :mizuno: JPX-850 19*, :mizuno: JPX Fli-Hi #4, :mizuno: JPX 800 Pro 5-PW, :mizuno: MP T-4 50-06, 54-09 58-10, :cleveland: Smart Square Blade and :bridgestone: B330-S

i wouldnt have a problem going back to cast at all. one of my favorite sets of all time were cast irons (DCI 962's). i also have a set of Precept EC603's that are cast i love the feel of them just as much as i love the feel of my current irons (Tour Premium CB's).

I'm about to do it. My current irons are mx-23 (and yes, they are forged). They're great clubs but they're standard length and lie, stiff shaft. I had a fitting and the fitter suggested I go to +1, 2* upright, jumbo grips, R Flex. I'm 6"5", 34.75" wrist to floor with very large hands. Instead of making all those changes to my Mizunos I've decided to have a set of Maltby KE4s built to my specs. The Maltby heads are cast but I really liked the demo clubs I hit in the store. I also demoed some Callaway X20 irons that felt fantastic. I actually took an X20 5 iron out on the course a few months ago and absolutely loved it. Trouble is, the Callaways are out of my price range, especially if I have to have them custom built. My new set should be ready Tuesday. Can't wait to get them out on the course.

In the Bag:
Driver: Cleveland Launcher Ultralight XL 270

FW: Taylor Made 300 17 degree 
3-PW: Mizuno MX-23

AW: Mizuno TP-T11 52/07 (Bent to 50)
SW: Mizuno TP-T11 56/10

LW: Mizuno TP-T11 60/05

Putter: Original Ping Zing

Ball: Wilson Staff FG Tour

Im not so sure that there is a difference from cast to forged anymore. When even the pros say that there is no difference in feel from cast to forged, I very much doubt that us weekend hacks can tell the difference.

People always say that they can't feel the difference. But, I surely can feel the difference between my Mizuno irons and other irons. Maybe it's just the way Mizuno forges.

I might consider it just because cast are so much more durable. With forged, I have to get my loft and bounce checked every year, and they do develop scratches, unlike my old Eye2+ irons. but forged do somehow seem to feel significantly better, and they produce more spin.

In my stand bag:
909D3 with 10.5 degrees of loft and a 45 inch Fujikura Rombax 6Z08, x-flex
909F3 15* with a stock Diamana Blue
FT 18* with an Aldila NV
X-forged ('07), 3-PW with Project X 6.0 CG12, 53/11, and 58* with DSG Red X2, 33"All with Lamkin Crossline Full Cord. (except the putter of...

As much as i love my forged irons, I would still consider going back to cast. The main reason for me would be the durability of the cast irons vs forged.

What I Play!

x86 Stand Bag
Driver: 907D2 10.5* w/EPIC-S
Irons: 735.CM irons 4-PW PX 5.5FW Wood: 909F2 15.5* Aldila Voodoo SHybrid: 909.H 21* Diamana Blue Board SWedges: Vokey 250.08 (oil can), Spin Milled 54.11 & 60.07 (Black Ni)Studio Select 2.5Ball: Pro-V1x/Bridgestone B330s (or anything I...

Unless I find a cast club that is as buttery as my mp-32's, I'll stick with my Mizzies. (S58's were nice, but IMO not quite the feel of the 32's.)

Driver: Tour Burner TP 9.5* Whiteboard Stiff
Hybrid: Rescue Dual 19*
Irons: 4-pw Mp-32 S300
Wedges: Vokey Spin Milled 56* and 60*
Putter: Newport 2 34" 340gBall: Pro-V1 or NXT-tourShoes: Adidas Tour 360 LTD

I read that the difference between forged and cast clubs is very negligible, assuming of course the same metal is being used and the head properties are similar. From what I read when the pros were asked to demo the two, side by side with no markings indicating which was which, less than 60% could tell the difference, and of that 60%, I believe it was around 70% who said either would do,or they did not have a preference.

Note: This thread is 1405 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!