IGNORED

State Amateur Tournaments....Should I play?

Lemay427
Note: This thread is 5788 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

I quit competitive golf back in high school and I am 25 now. I have this urge to get into competitive golf again and play in some state level tournaments. My game is improving and for the first part of spring and summer I have improved tremendously in putting and my short game. I havent updated my handicap in awhile, but I am sure its a stroke lower for sure.

My question is for the people playing in these...Do I have the game to play in these events? Obviously, I am not looking to win...yet lol. I just feel I need the competition to improve my game. I also do not want to be out of place, either. Sorry if I sound like a noob, but I am clueless on competitive golf.

Nike SQ 9.5 w/ ProLaunch Red
Titliest 906F2 15
Miura 202 3-5 Irons
Miura Blade 6-PW Irons
Mizuno MP 51 & 56Yes! Tracy IINike One Black

Absolutely play! If you've got the game to do it then by all means, get out there and do it! I was really close at one point before an unfortunate ATV accident side tracked my game for a while, but I'm 34 and have been steadily improving and once I get there I'll be getting in some of these as well.

So while you're question was directed toward people playing them, allow me to offer a little insight from the other side, if you've got the game and don't at least try you'll always wonder "what if..."

Good luck and keep us posted!
"You lick the lollipop of mediocrity once and you'll suck forever."

HiBORE XLS 9.5* Fujikura Fit On (Gold) (s) shaft | HiBORE XLS 15* 3w Fujikura Fit On (Gold) (s) shaft | 585h 21* | MP 57 4-pw w/Dynamic Gold s-300 shaft | 53* 56* Rac Chrome 60* Rac Satin | Monza Corza DB 35" | Tour ix
Home...

... ...Do I have the game to play in these events? Obviously, I am not looking to win...yet lol. I just feel I need the competition to improve my game. I also do not want to be out of place, either. Sorry if I sound like a noob, but I am clueless on competitive golf.

I've played in Ohio USGA tournaments because the good players need someone to beat.

Seriously, nobody notices you unless you win.

Best, Mike Elzey

In my bag:
Driver: Cleveland Launcher 10.5 stiff
Woods: Ping ISI 3 and 5 - metal stiffIrons: Ping ISI 4-GW - metal stiffSand Wedges: 1987 Staff, 1987 R-90Putter: two ball - black bladeBall: NXT Tour"I think what I said is right but maybe not.""If you know so much, why are you...

I've played in Ohio USGA tournaments because the good players need someone to beat.

HAHA. Ya I just didnt know the skill level of these tournaments and didnt want to get into something that I would be out of place in.

Titliest 906F2 15
Miura 202 3-5 Irons
Miura Blade 6-PW Irons

I didnt see any but I didnt know if their were any implied requirements. I dont have any friends or know anyone that plays in these anymore.

Titliest 906F2 15
Miura 202 3-5 Irons
Miura Blade 6-PW Irons

For what it's worth, when I meet the handicap requirements, I plan to play in California Amateur events. Whether or not this means you should give it a try is for you to determine.

-- Michael | My swing! 

"You think you're Jim Furyk. That's why your phone is never charged." - message from my mother

Driver:  Titleist 915D2.  4-wood:  Titleist 917F2.  Titleist TS2 19 degree hybrid.  Another hybrid in here too.  Irons 5-U, Ping G400.  Wedges negotiable (currently 54 degree Cleveland, 58 degree Titleist) Edel putter. 

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

For what it's worth, when I meet the handicap requirements, I plan to play in California Amateur events. Whether or not this means you should give it a try is for you to determine.

What are the handicap requirements in California?

Titliest 906F2 15
Miura 202 3-5 Irons
Miura Blade 6-PW Irons

here are the requirements for the PNGA mens mid-amateur...im sure most state championships are close to this.

Championship Details

Format: 54-hole stroke play competition (cut to low 60 and ties after 36-holes)

Age Limit: 25 years of age or older as of September 9, 2008

Handicap Limit: 8.4

Field Limit: 120 (Field fill method: Exempt players followed by players with lowest handicap indexes/factors at entry deadline)

Entry Fee: $200 (US Funds)

♠ In the bag ♠
Driver► R7 SuperQuad 10.5º, ProForce V2 X
3 Wood► Steelhead III 15º
Hybrid► 2008 Baffler Pro 18º 2/R
Irons 3-P► 2008 Pro CB, Project X 6.0, +¼", 2° UpWedges► 52° RTG+DSG, 58º RTG+DSGPutter► White Hot Tour #1Ball► Pro V1xWhere I play:...

i played with someone that plays in the NJ Amateur every year. he's like it's $60 and that's your 1st round of golf and 2nd if you qualify for the 2nd day. He said people normally shoot anywhere from 3 under to 10 over.
DJ Yoshi
Official DJ: Rutgers Football
Boost Mobile Tour
In My Bag
HiBoreXL 9.5 White Board D63 Stiff Exotics CB2 5 Wood, Exotics CB3 3 Wood MP-60 5.5 Flighted Shafts 54 & Cleveland CG-10 60 Newport 2

Absolutely you should play. Make sure you wear your cargo shorts and keep the skateboard in the cart's basket, just to let everybody know that you keep it real.

What's in the bag
Driver: FTI
3W: 15 Degree
2H: X
4I-7I: X-188I, 9I, PW: X-Forged52 Deg: Vokey Oil Can, all rusted out56 Deg: Vokey, Chrome 60 Deg: Black PearlPutter: Catalina Two

I'd say go for it as well, Golf can be made a little bit more fun when your actually going for something.As long as you don't post something way beyond your handicap, and shoot a good solid score, you shouldn't feel out of place. I personally don't like competitive golf either. Although I am on my HS golf team.

I may think of going into something called the Golf Town Amateur Tour when I'm older, sounds like a lot of fun.
In My Bag

Driver: Sasquatch 460 9.5°
3 Wood: Laser 3 Wood 15°
5 Wood: r7 19° (Stiff)Irons: S58 Irons 4-PW Orange DotWedge: Harmonized 60°Wedge: Z TP 54°Putter: Tiffany 34"Balls: Pro V1 Shoes: Adidas Tour 360 IIThe Meadows Golf Coursewww.themeadowsgc.comAge: 16

Back on topic...

I think the MGA has a website with the criteria. I have looked into it for friend who played. I think you just need to be under a 5 or 6 to qualify. Then you pay your money and play. You get two or three rounds for a good price so it is well worth it if you just want to play. Who knows, you may do well and make it to the next rounds. Depending on which event it is, I think most events have a two round qualifier and then the higher finishers move to the next rounds.

I will judge my rounds much more by the quality of my best shots than the acceptability of my worse ones.

As long as you meet the handicap requirement, I say go for it. Even if you get smoked, look at it this way, if you play with a bunch of better players you will be able to watch how they do things and maybe pick up on why they are better players than you.
At least that way you can say that you gave it a shot, its better than one day asking yourself, "what if"...

Whats in my :sunmountain: C-130 cart bag?

Woods: :mizuno: JPX 850 9.5*, :mizuno: JPX 850 15*, :mizuno: JPX-850 19*, :mizuno: JPX Fli-Hi #4, :mizuno: JPX 800 Pro 5-PW, :mizuno: MP T-4 50-06, 54-09 58-10, :cleveland: Smart Square Blade and :bridgestone: B330-S

Absolutely play! If you've got the game to do it then by all means, get out there and do it! I was really close at one point before an unfortunate ATV accident side tracked my game for a while, but I'm 34 and have been steadily improving and once I get there I'll be getting in some of these as well.

I agree with this chap 100%,positive input,get out there and enjoy yourself.

aeroburner tp 10.5 stiff
superfast tp 2.0 3 wood stiff
Halo 25 and taylormade tp 19 degree hybrids
miura cb 202 and wedge
tp 52* wedge, tp 56* taylormade spider mallet putter

If you have the index your should play. The entry fee alone is worth it around here to get to play some of the private courses the events are held on. And if they allow you a practice round there it's even better.

Rob Tyska

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

Absolutely play. I played in a couple of tournaments around here, and most of the guys I played with that were 2-7 handicaps didn't break 80. It can be a bit intimidating, but most all of them were great guys and they made it a lot of fun.(plus I played really well, for me at least)

Go for it!!

in my grom stand bag:

Driver: HiBore 9.5* fujikura stiff
3w: HiBore 15* fujikura stiff
2i hybrid: HiBore fujikura stiff3-sw: MP-57 +1/2 2* up stiff steelPutter: 2ball SRT 36"GPS: SG3 Sky caddieCart:Clicgear 2.0Home Course: Lake Spanaway http://www.lakespanawaygc.com

Note: This thread is 5788 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!