IGNORED

Scratch or Better Consider Q-Schoo?

Chris5573
Note: This thread is 5767 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

let's be honest here :

He wouldn't have gotten nowhere in Q-School anyways, Isn't it funny when he talks about all his tournaments he can never shoot a solid round? He falls under pressure alot.

He was posting like high 70's and 80's.
In My Bag

Driver: Sasquatch 460 9.5°
3 Wood: Laser 3 Wood 15°
5 Wood: r7 19° (Stiff)Irons: S58 Irons 4-PW Orange DotWedge: Harmonized 60°Wedge: Z TP 54°Putter: Tiffany 34"Balls: Pro V1 Shoes: Adidas Tour 360 IIThe Meadows Golf Coursewww.themeadowsgc.comAge: 16

He wouldn't have gotten nowhere in Q-School anyways, Isn't it funny when he talks about all his tournaments he can never shoot a solid round? He falls under pressure alot.

That's one thing I never understood about Coyne...he had a plus handicap, and always shot terrible scores. I think he even shot a 90 or higher in the Canadian Q School. Not sure if it was his mental game or what, but I don't understand a + handicapper shooting those kinds of scores.

Our course isn't as hard as the Stadium course...we're 74.5 rating and 139 slope. If you are a scratch golfer, that means you shoot about 75 only 25% of the time. The guys in Q school shoot in the 60's on that type of course probably half the time.

I say the cutoff to have a shot for making it to the 2nd stage would be +3 or +4 and there is a huge difference going from 0 to +4. Most tour pros are probably around a +5 or 6.

Driver: 9.5 905R 757 Speeder X stiff
3 Wood: 13.0 Sonartec GS Tour Red Ice 70X
Hybrid: 17.0 Sonartec MD Stiff UST IROD
Irons: 690cb 4-PW w/Rifle 6.0
Wedges: Cleveland 900 Series Gunmetal 50, 54, 60Putter: Scotty Cameron Studio Newport 370g head

I've read many of these "What would my handicap need to be to have a shot at turning pro??" on this site. I say forget about your handicap and try a little test for your game. Play 3-4 days in a row at your home course from the tips. Are your scores from these 3-4 days consistantly in the high 60's to low 70's? If not, I would say save your Q-school entry fee money and continue to practice. Also keep in mind that the guys on TV are playing a much more difficult track than you and they shoot those scores week in and week out.

R9 460 9.5
R9 3-Wood
Irons AP1 4-PW
Wedge X-Forged 62*, 56*, 50*
Studio Select 34" MS Newport 2 TP Red

That's one thing I never understood about Coyne...he had a plus handicap, and always shot terrible scores. I think he even shot a 90 or higher in the Canadian Q School. Not sure if it was his mental game or what, but I don't understand a + handicapper shooting those kinds of scores.

Yeah - was wondering about that too when i read his book. Before looking too much at your handicap - go ask yourself about your mental state, how you handle pressure and if you are willing to really grind it out and have sponsors or enough money to support you for years without income. If so, you probably can make it, but then you probably wouldnt read this post and be on the driving range or in the gym instead working your a.. off.

Burner 9°
FW Burner 15°
Burner Rescue 19°
MP67 4-PW
CG10 50° CG12 DSG 54° & 60°

I'm pretty sure Coyne didnt make it into Q-School because he didnt have ANY USGA/PGA 4-day event experience....he had never even played in one. He readily admits in his book that he didnt handle the pressure well. It was a great read.

A few of my thoughts on this topic.....

Amen on that. I play the Donald Ross designed French Lick Hill Course. Its a tough course, but it seems to fit my eye. In matches, I have medaled twice with scores in the low 70s. I have shot 70, and probably average around 75 or so. I say the course was home to local qualifiers for the US Open. Of course, I don't have a 1.4 handicap, but 72 got into sectional qualifying. With a little work, I truly believe I can shot that right now, as an 8 handicap. So, could I qualify for the US Open? Probably not. Will I try? You better believe it!!!

Also, as far as going through Q-School and qualifying for the Nationwide Tour would be big. But nowhere does it say that you have to accept the spot on the Nationwide Tour, does it?

In my bag:

DRIVER: 905T w/ Fujikura E360 Shaft
3 Wood 906 F4 w/ Aldila Proto "By You"
Irons: MP 30 w/ Rifle 5.5 Wedges Oil Can 50*, Vokey SM 54* and 58*Putter: C-06

Going through Q School and getting to the 2nd round is a tough task. Even to get into 1st round, you're going to have to show some previous accredited wins on your resume. Otherwise, you're stuck in pre-qualifying. It's a tough road but if you want to play top shelf golf, it's what you have to do.

Whether it's PGA, Hooters Tour or Canadien, you're still going to have to pass Q School to get in. (most of the time)

The answer is . . . you have to be able to go low.

Attended 1st round Q-school as spectator and saw John Mallinger (yes he's on tour now and playing great) go ho-hum the first two rounds, around par, then go 65-65 to be medalist. So, 14 under on the weekend.

If you are a + because you are very steady and skilled, but don't have the knack of going low then you aren't going to make it. The people who advance and make it post some very low rounds, the plodder who is around par is left behind. Even in the finals it's the guys who throw a 65 up on Sunday who get in.

2009 Burner R
FT-I Fusion Squareway 3W 15* Fujikura Speeder Fit-On R
5W R7 R
FT Fusion Hybrids Draw 3/21*, 4/24*
G5 5-PW X-forged Vintage: 52.12, 56.14MDScotty Cameron: Newport 2 ProV1

After reading A Good Walk Spoiled I would never want to do that. The pressure on those guys is incredible. You think a 4 footer to win a nassau is bad, try making the cut to get to the next stage.

What's in my bag
Driver: Taylor Made R7 425 9.5 degrees UST Proforce 65 shaft
3 Wood: Taylor Made V Steel 15 degrees
Taylor Made Rescue Dual 22 degrees (UST IROD shaft)
Irons: Mizuno MP-67 (bent 1 degree upright)Gap Wedge: Mizuno R Series Black Nickle 52 Sand Wedge: Mizuno R Series Black Nickle...

Note: This thread is 5767 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!