IGNORED

Scratch or Better Consider Q-Schoo?

Chris5573
Note: This thread is 5768 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

If someone was scratch or better, do you think they should consider trying to make it through Q-School? If you can get through the second stage, you are guaranteed atleast some status on the Nationwide Tour, right? I would think if someone was scratch or better and could afford the entry fee, why not give it a shot...if you get hot at the right time you never know.

No, Scratch probably won't get you anywhere in Q-School, maybe to even consider it you need to be a +1-3.

You seem to ask alot of questions about Qualifying and things of the sort. I reccomend reading "Paper Tiger" by Tom Coyne. He ended up getting to +.4.
In My Bag

Driver: Sasquatch 460 9.5°
3 Wood: Laser 3 Wood 15°
5 Wood: r7 19° (Stiff)Irons: S58 Irons 4-PW Orange DotWedge: Harmonized 60°Wedge: Z TP 54°Putter: Tiffany 34"Balls: Pro V1 Shoes: Adidas Tour 360 IIThe Meadows Golf Coursewww.themeadowsgc.comAge: 16

http://i.cdn.turner.com/pgatour/.ele...ion.061908.pdf

You can find the application for 2008 Q School at this link. No telling when the application for 2009 Q School will be online (if it's not already).

FWIW, I agree with Dent -- if you're scratch your chances are zero, but I don't know how good you would have to be actually have a realistic chance of making the PGA Tour or Nationwide Tour. I've read John Feinstein's book Tales From Q School and it's not a pretty picture - for every success story, there are literally hundreds of crash & burn stories. But, there ARE success stories. Good luck.

I think if you could afford the entry fee and the vacation time, then why not give it a shot. If nothing else you would be able to play some extremely competitive golf, instead of the typical golf vacation.
In my bag:

Driver: R540xd
3wood: F-50
3-PW: MP-60Wedges: misc. + RAC Chrome 56°Putter: Oz Blue ChipBall: One Platinum

No, Scratch probably won't get you anywhere in Q-School, maybe to even consider it you need to be a +1-3.

I did read the book Paper Tiger, and I remember the main point that "Scratch is sh*t". I am not personally considering trying to go through Q-School, I have a 7 handicap. I was just curious if any of you have thought about it or tried.

I was a volunteer at the Q-School finals last fall, I was a walking scorer. One of the players I met was a guy named Garrett Osborn who had just graduated from UAB and was trying Q-School for the first time. He made it through stage one by a few shots, then made it through stage two on the number by birdie-ing his last 3 holes. At the finals, he came in 40-something place and is now on the Nationwide Tour. He went from college straight to the Nationwide...no mini-tours. His scoring average at UAB was 72+ during his senior year, and 73+ for his career, (not sure of his handicap). Just makes you think if a good golfer has the guts to play well under pressure and gets hot, why couldn't they make it?

I did read the book Paper Tiger, and I remember the main point that "Scratch is sh*t". I am not personally considering trying to go through Q-School, I have a 7 handicap. I was just curious if any of you have thought about it or tried.

I didn't mean to be offensive at all or didn't apply that it was a joke if you even tried. Reading that book just shows the reality of how good you have to be to get in.

In My Bag

Driver: Sasquatch 460 9.5°
3 Wood: Laser 3 Wood 15°
5 Wood: r7 19° (Stiff)Irons: S58 Irons 4-PW Orange DotWedge: Harmonized 60°Wedge: Z TP 54°Putter: Tiffany 34"Balls: Pro V1 Shoes: Adidas Tour 360 IIThe Meadows Golf Coursewww.themeadowsgc.comAge: 16

My ultimate golfing goal is to get low enough to have a shot a qualifying for the British Open. You have to be under 0.5 (currently I'm way off...).

Regardless of whether you've got a genuine shot or not what a fantastic thing to have a go at. I once caddied for a friend at a US Open qualifier at Bethpage - he didn't break 90 but it was a great experience.

Driver - RAM FX V
3 Wood - Callaway Steelhead Hybrid - Mizuno MP Fli-Hi 21 degree
Irons - Titleist DCI 4-PW
Wedges - Cleveland CG10, 52, 56, 60 degree
Putter - Rife Antigua

Just makes you think if a good golfer has the guts to play well under pressure and gets hot, why couldn't they make it?

I completely agree. I am going to play amateur events and see what my

real score is when I compete. Leisure rounds dont give an accurate indication of your skill, IMO. Those four footers mean more when your five grand is on the line!!!

Nike SQ 9.5 w/ ProLaunch Red
Titliest 906F2 15
Miura 202 3-5 Irons
Miura Blade 6-PW Irons
Mizuno MP 51 & 56Yes! Tracy IINike One Black

A few of my thoughts on this topic.....

1. First, the term "scratch" is relative to where you play. Some may argue, but the whole "course and slope rating" formula drastically under-compensates for the length of the golf course. In other words, a guy who is a scratch golfer but plays on a 6300 yard course is probably worse off than a guy who is a 3 handicap but plays on a legitimate 7000+ yard courses.

If you are scratch on legitimate courses and can get it done under pressure, you may have a chance if you get super hot for a period of time.

2. If you ever read "Bud, Sweat and Tees," (Rich Beem), he mentions rather candidly that he was "a pretty good 2 handicap and then something just clicked"....so, if you have the skill to play scratch golf (legitimately), there is always the chance of getting hot and making a run at the tour.

3. Finally, life is fukkin short...if you have the resources to make a run, don't ever let anyone tell you it is impossible.....bottom line.

"Getting paired with you is the equivalent to a two-stroke penalty to your playing competitors"  -- Sean O'Hair to Rory Sabbatini (Zurich Classic, 2011)

Theres always a chance that you could make it, but like was said, for every golfer who makes it, there are at least 100 golfers who didnt.
If anyone out there is a scratch golfer and is considering it, I say give it a shot. Its better to have tried and failed than to have never had the guts to try at all and always have the lingering question of, "what if?"

Whats in my :sunmountain: C-130 cart bag?

Woods: :mizuno: JPX 850 9.5*, :mizuno: JPX 850 15*, :mizuno: JPX-850 19*, :mizuno: JPX Fli-Hi #4, :mizuno: JPX 800 Pro 5-PW, :mizuno: MP T-4 50-06, 54-09 58-10, :cleveland: Smart Square Blade and :bridgestone: B330-S

Something to keep in mind, if you do happen to get through and qualify for the Nationwide Tour, do you have the funds to play said tour for a full season?

It takes a fair whack of cash to travel and play continuously, and that cash or lack thereof does serve to put further pressure on you. Imagine being stuck 1000 miles from home and needing to play the last three holes at 1 under to make the cut at your current tour stop to guarantee having enough funds to cover your motel bill and flight to the next event.

Something to keep in mind, if you do happen to get through and qualify for the Nationwide Tour, do you have the funds to play said tour for a full season?

Thats a great point. Its very tough to make it and you need 50k gbp a year to pay for your expenses- that doesnt mean you will be staying in a nice plush hotel somewehere- it will be a hostel.

At that level, you are playing for your livelihood, and golf becomes more than a game.

It's crossed my mind a couple times post-college and when I talked it over with those more experienced, they're indication was that a) I'd need 6-12 months to prepare for such an endeavor (this is back when i was a +) and b) even with that practice the chances aren't great. It's a commonly perceived notion that the difference between a touring pro and a scratch golfer is the same difference between a scratch golfer and an 18 handicap. The amount of time, practice and general skill it would take for an 18 handicap to get down to scratch is similar to that of a scratch golfer being prepared for a run at the tour. I don't mean to rain on anybody's parade. If you think you can do for it, then go for it. Just be prepared on what you have to do to be competitive.

P.S. When I was 18 (0.6 index) I played Sandpiper in Santa Barbara a couple weeks after it hosted Q-School. I shot 83. Made it real clear what I had to do to reach that level.
In my Hoofer2 bag:

Driver: 905S 9.5° (Grafalloy Blue XS Shaft) or 975F 7.5° (Grafalloy Shaft)
Fairway Metal: 906F2 13° (UST Proforce V2 75 gram XS Shaft)
Irons: Apex Forged 2-PW (Dynamic Gold X100 Shafts)Wedges: Vokey 54° and 60° (Dynamic Gold Wedge Shafts)Putter: Newport Studio...

nick o'hern from perth turned pro when he was like a 4 or 3 handicap and joined the european tour. some people just rise to the occasion and play better whent he going gets tough.

Driver: Taylormade R11 set to 8*
3 Wood: R9 15* Motore Stiff
Hybrid: 19° 909 H Voodoo
Irons: 4-PW AP2 Project X 5.5
52*, 60* Vokey SM Chrome

Putter: Odyssey XG #7

Ball: Titleist Pro V1x

nick o'hern from perth turned pro when he was like a 4 or 3 handicap and joined the european tour. some people just rise to the occasion and play better whent he going gets tough.

He became pro as a 3 or 4 handicap? Wow...he must have struggled early on. I heard about Rich Beam saying that he was a 2 handicapper and then one day something just clicked and he was better ever since.

It's worth a shot for sure. Like mentioned already its a great way to play some extremely competitve golf and test one's game. Plus if you don't make it past the first round you get half your money back.

Callaway RazrFit Extreme 9.5 w/Project X 6.5
Callaway XHot Pro 15* 3Wood w/Project X 6.5
Callaway XTour 18* 2h w/S300
Callaway XHot Pro 4/5 irons w/S300
Callaway XForged III 5-PW irons w/S300
Callaway Forged 52*/58* Wedges
Odyssey 7 Versa 90
Callaway Hex Black Tour

He became pro as a 3 or 4 handicap? Wow...he must have struggled early on. I heard about Rich Beam saying that he was a 2 handicapper and then one day something just clicked and he was better ever since.

i was surprised too. Brett Ogle interviewed him on an aussie foxsports show called the pga golf show and he said IIRC that he was only a 3/4 capper and decided to turn pro and everyone doubted him but he got there.

Driver: Taylormade R11 set to 8*
3 Wood: R9 15* Motore Stiff
Hybrid: 19° 909 H Voodoo
Irons: 4-PW AP2 Project X 5.5
52*, 60* Vokey SM Chrome

Putter: Odyssey XG #7

Ball: Titleist Pro V1x

let's be honest here :

Tom Coyne didn't even get accepted into the Q School!

Don't you need to have placed highly in PGA sanctioned events before they even let you into pre-qualifying at Q School?

Note: This thread is 5768 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!