IGNORED

Club Throwing

Doctorfro
Note: This thread is 5727 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

I don't condone this act whatsoever but the other day while I was playing in another state I saw a guy helicopter a club over fifty yards! I'd never seen anything like it in my golf career. I was amazed, stunned. What's the wildest club throwing act you've witnessed?

Hope that it wasn't me that you saw........

R9 460 9.5
R9 3-Wood
Irons AP1 4-PW
Wedge X-Forged 62*, 56*, 50*
Studio Select 34" MS Newport 2 TP Red

• Replies 58
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I had a friend of mine, who really sucks at golf by the way, shank a shot then discus throw his wedge (you know, spinning around a few times before releasing it) right into his golf cart. It nailed the crappy cup holder on the inside of the cart and exploded it. I was just happy I wasn't riding with him.

I have a bad habit of dropping my club though at the end of my swing if I hit a really bad shot. Normally I try to catch it on the way down as I have quickly overcome my being upset and don't want to look like a total idiot. I catch it about half the time.

I throw my clubs all the time - but not out of frustration at all, just always in the direction of my trolley so that i dont forget them when going for the next hole...

If iam frustrated i´m just talking with myself but haven´t broken any equipment or threw clubs on purpose.

Burner 9°
FW Burner 15°
Burner Rescue 19°
MP67 4-PW
CG10 50° CG12 DSG 54° & 60°

I have tomahawked a few clubs in my day, mostly when I was a junior and in non competitive rounds. I grew up playing ice hockey and have always had a bad temper. I'm working on it!!! We used to joke about putting a "sacrificial club" in the cart or carry it and when someone made a bad shot and got pisssed, throw them the sacrificial club so they can go ape sh%t with it!! LOL I still laugh thinking about that.

Nike SQ 9.5 w/ ProLaunch Red
Titliest 906F2 15
Miura 202 3-5 Irons
Miura Blade 6-PW Irons
Mizuno MP 51 & 56Yes! Tracy IINike One Black

Some of these meltdowns are better than celebrations! I've never tossed a club, but once or twice a year, I'll spike it into the rough or something (I try not to do it on the teebox, or the fairway).

What's in my bag:

Driver: R5, 9.5 degree
Fairway woods: 973F
Irons: RAC, 3-AWWedges: Vokey spin milled, 56 degreePutter: White Hot #7Ball: Pro V1

How can I forget my first and only, 7/20/2008 Actually it was due to and injury not for a bad shot. But I remember that somebody had to blame.

in my bag I have

driver: tour burner TP 10,5°
woods: burner women 3 and 5
irons: X-20 tour 3-PWwedges: x-forged 50° and 56°putter: Kasternballs: ONE black

This past winter I was playing in a southern state and was paired with a chucker. We played 18 and he threw his clubs 15-20 times(It was so much that I cannot recall all the shot but here are a few).

1) After hitting left of the green into some thick woods on a par five he yells out(I cannot see him). I found my ball... then I hear a very loud F#$K and see his wedge helicopter over the green.

2) After missing a green left of a par three. the guy chili dips his pitch to the green and throws the wedge into the back of his cart(fortunately we both had our own carts)

3) The guy then pulls a driver on a dogleg left hole and hit a great shot but too far and is in the rough blocked out by trees. He scream then considers throwing the new $400-500 driver... stops, goes to cart and gets his 3 wood and whips that down the fairway.

The first few were sort of funny but it got old really fast. He did, later in the round apologize for his behavior.

X-460 9.5* tour Driver/Fujikura stiff
X-15* tour 3 wood/Fujikura stiff
3DX 18.5* Hybrid/Aldila stiff
681 3-PW/Project X 6.0 (now in bag)
X-16 Pro Series Irons/Dynamic Gold S300 54* and 58* wedges Anser Sn putter

About fifteen years ago while working I sat and watched a group go through. A guy missed about a three footer for par and proceeded to whirlwind his putter into the air which subsequently stuck about twenty feet up in a tree. Still with six holes to go and realizing he needed his putter, he angrily made the idiotic mistake and flung his umbrella into the tree to try and knock it down. No such luck -- his umbrella was swallowed up by the tree as well. Now absolutely infuriated (and seemingly out of his mind), he threw not one, but TWO trap rakes into the tree to try to get his putter down, both of which stuck up in the tree. That tree swallowed a putter, umbrella, and two trap rakes that day, none of which were recovered until the next day. It is to this day the funniest thing I have ever seen on a golf course. People said they could hear his expletives from the pro shop, some 700 yards away.

Driver: Cobra S2 9.5 Fubuki 73 Stiff | Wood: Titleist 909H 17 Aldila Voodoo Stiff | Irons: Titleist ZB 3-5, ZM 6-PW DG S300 | Wedges: Titleist Vokey SMTC 50.08, 54.11, 60.04 DG S200 | Putter: Scotty Cameron Fastback 1.5 33" | Ball: Titleist Pro V1x

For some of us with bad tempers, club throwing is very therapudic......and economical....if I didn't throw them occassioinally, I would break it over my knee. Emotions get the best of us sometime but you do what yo need to do, and move on.
What's in my bag:

G5 10.5 degree Driver
G5 3 wood
G5 3-PWTour 52, 56 & 60 degree wedgesPro V1 weapons of mass destructionPinseeker 1500 Rangefinder

There was a local rumor of a good golfer, unhappy over a score in a outing, roping his bag full of clubs 6 feet off his bumper and driving off. Probably a urban legend but ya never know.

There are stories of a pro golfer from the 50s, can't remember the name, tying his putter to the bumper to punish it.

1W Cleveland LauncherComp 10.5, 3W Touredge Exotics 15 deg.,FY Wilson 19.5 degree
4 and 5H, 6I-GW Callaway Razr, SW, LW Cleveland Cg-14, Putter Taylor Made Suzuka, Ball, Srixon XV Yellow

Back before I started wearing a glove when I played, on a really hot day I had my 9-iron fly right out of my hands.
Luckily, there was no one around, so no one saw it and no one got hit by my club.
Ive never personally gotten so mad that I threw my club. IMO, if you take this game that seriously, its time to quit. You cant take golf that seriously, because if you do it will beat you every time.

Whats in my :sunmountain: C-130 cart bag?

Woods: :mizuno: JPX 850 9.5*, :mizuno: JPX 850 15*, :mizuno: JPX-850 19*, :mizuno: JPX Fli-Hi #4, :mizuno: JPX 800 Pro 5-PW, :mizuno: MP T-4 50-06, 54-09 58-10, :cleveland: Smart Square Blade and :bridgestone: B330-S

I hate club throwing, but will admit I did it this weekend. And, my little temper tantrum cost me a couple hundred bucks, because I shattered my Speeder 757 driver shaft! Sad thing was, I was still heated from the two holes before, pushed a drive right into the water, and still got up and down for par 4. I was ticked because I needed to shoot even par on the back nine to have 79 for the day, and ended up at 80, +1 on the back.

In the Bag:
Driver 907 D2, 8.5*, Accuflex x-stiff
3 Wood 904F 15*, Accuflex V2, x-stiff
Hybrid 585H, 19*, Aldila NV 85S
Irons MP 57's, + 1", 1* up, Project X 5.5Wedges Titleist Spin Milled 56* and 60*, oil can, +1/2", 1* upPutter :Scotty Cameron: Newport 2Ball ProV1Bag: OGIO Gromwww.quail...

Years ago I had a buddy who after three putting for the umpteenth time that day, turned towards a pond and in one smooth javelin motion deposited his putter in said pond. About a week later he showed up at the club with a fishing pole and one of those deep sea fishing hooks. He proceeded to march toward that pond declaring that he was going to retrieve his putter. We laughed as he threw his first cast in the water. Slowly he reeled in the hook and came up with nothing. On the second cast (!) he reels it in with his putter on the end of the hook. Absolutely amazing!!

Funniest I ever witnessed - joined a group of guys on a local course for a quick 9. One was a "thrower" and, on the 7th hole tossed his club up in disgust because he missed the green. When it landed the shaft snapped right above the hosel. Funny thing was is that NO ONE hits that green (unless they are very lucky) - it is just too darn narrow. Easy putt from the fringe though. Anyway - we get to the 8th tee - a short par 3. Of course he wants to BORROW someone else's 8 iron (the club he broke). No one offered of course.

Funniest I heard about (from the guy's ex-wife so it must be true!)? Anyway this fellow was playing in the finals match of the club match play championship. He's up like 4 with 5 to go but snap hooks his drive on 14 OB. Tees up and does it again. Except this time he tosses his driver in the air and starts to walk down the fairway. Thinking better of it he turns around and the club lands right on top of his head. Now he is bleeding so bad that he can't finish the match and has to concede. Of course the one time that I play with him he tosses a club in the air but manages not to hit himself.

Funniest that the "offender" ever told me personally? My father said that he got tired of his driver after a particularly bad shot. Not that he was angry (or so he claims) just that the club had outlived its useful life. So he broke it over his knee (OK not technically a throw but fits the same pattern). Life lesson - don't break a graphite shaft over your leg while wearing shorts! Apparently it takes a looooong time to get all the splinters out!

I was playing at a Barefoot golf course in North Carolina two falls ago. A playing partner swung on the tee at a par three, then immediately knowing his ball was water-bound, swung backwards full speed. Just before he reached the top of his (effectively) second backswing, the club slipped from his hands, flew 50 feet in the air, and then came down right in the middle of a 10-foot-wide ditch beside the cart path and tee. The water was at least five feet deep, and it landed RIGHT in the middle, so no chance of recovery.

This post almost sums up my most shameful moment on the golf course, only mine ended worse. I hit a terrible 7-iron on a Par 3, just one of many terrible shots that day, and frustration had been building. As I started on my "second backswing" the club slips from my hands flying parallel to the ground. This club was flying really, really fast. Who is standing right behind me? No other than dear old DAD, who was hit squarely in the shin. Needless to say, he couldn't finish the round. He had a major bruise that lasted for a long time. We laugh about it now, but at the time I felt horrible. I'll never do that again... well at least the part where the club slips out of my hands.

Driver: R7 Quad 8.5°
3 wood: A10
Hybrid: 20° DWS Baffler
4-GW: FP Irons
SW: 06 Big Bertha 56°LW: A10 60° Putter: White Steel 2-ball

Funniest I ever saw: One of our group had been drinking heavily the night before and was well on his way by 9 AM. He was know for his short temper and after missing the 8th green he helicopters his club up in a tree. He then proceeds to throw clubs up in the tree to get it down, only to have to climb up and fetch 3 of them out. Later in the round he hooked 3 straight balls in the lake then walked up to the lake and started throwing handfuls of balls in the water. Haven't played with him in years.

Accidental: Buddy was taking practice swings with his driver and it slipped out of his hand, and he had to scale a 2 story chain link fence to go retreve it out of someones yard.

Dumbest move ever: Got paired up with a guy one day and he was hacking really bad and after he missed a 2 footer for probably a 12 on a par 4 he proceed to helicopter his club....right over my head, we had words....
My Bag

Driver: Sumo 460 10.5º Stiff
4 & 7 Woods: T-40 Stiff
Irons: Tight Lies GT 3-PWWedges: Tom Watson SignaturePutter: Daiwa DG-245Ball: One PlatinumGone Golfin'

Note: This thread is 5727 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!