IGNORED

Wie a Choker?

iacas
Note: This thread is 6719 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

1. 1. Is Michelle Wie a choker?

• "Gasping for air, she is" - Yoda
    • Heck no!
    • Dunno - can't tell

• Administrator
Here is the reference article.

I think it's too early to tell, but she shows signs of poor, poor decision-making. Witness her attempts to hit a 3-iron or something out of thick U.S. Women's Open rough (and her final round 81 or whatever it was).

I think it's too early to tell if she's going to be a long-time choker, but right now, at this point in time, I'd say that she is. She didn't do well at the U.S. Women's Am held here in Erie, she bogeyed the last two to miss the cut by one at the Casio, etc.

Erik J. Barzeski —  I knock a ball. It goes in a gopher hole. 🏌🏼‍♂️
Director of Instruction Golf Evolution • Owner, The Sand Trap .com • AuthorLowest Score Wins
Golf Digest "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17 & "Best in State" 2017-20 • WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019 :edel: :true_linkswear:

Check Out: New Topics | TST Blog | Golf Terms | Instructional Content | Analyzr | LSW | Instructional Droplets

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

Too early to tell, but I'd say no. She's young and needs to see the consequences of poor decision making. She's been thrust into the spotlight at an age when most future pros are working out the kinks in obscurity. Her caddie needs to help her with stuff like that... if she'll let him.

Jeff

10.5° Callaway FT-iZ Tour

18°, 20°, 23° Adams Idea Pro Prototype Hybrid

4-9 Titleist 690.CB
48° Titleist Vokey Tour Nickel
54°, 58° Titleist Vokey Tour Oil Can

Scotty Cameron NP2, 33"

I'd say still too early to tell. I mean she just missed the cut in japan by one stroke. Guess I'd have to say she choked though. Played pretty good all through and then blew it in the last 4 or 5 holes.

I still hold the contention that she will make a cut on the pga tour. I wouldn't be surprised to see it happen this year. I think for someone so young to have that much natural talent is very amazing. Very tigeresque. She has the talent and I think the nerve will come. I think thats where tiger was differnet though. He had the attitude that he couldn't be beat and wasn't afraid to play that way. If michelle could catch a bit of that mentality she'd be unstoppable.

• Administrator
I'd say still too early to tell. I mean she just missed the cut in japan by one stroke. Guess I'd have to say she choked though. Played pretty good all through and then blew it in the last 4 or 5 holes.

That's the knock, too, though: Tiger wins, Michelle doesn't. Her talent may be Tiger-esque, but her ability to close is more like the Detroit Tigers.

Director of Instruction Golf Evolution • Owner, The Sand Trap .com • AuthorLowest Score Wins
Golf Digest "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17 & "Best in State" 2017-20 • WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019 :edel: :true_linkswear:

Check Out: New Topics | TST Blog | Golf Terms | Instructional Content | Analyzr | LSW | Instructional Droplets

It's ironic that we put so much on absolute excellence everytime out that a runner up gets slammed. Or, Tiger is said to be in a slump when he doesn't win every time he tees it up.

I remember a press conference with Marv Levy after the Biulls lost their 4th super bowl when a reporter asked, "What do say to those who will say this team can't win the big one?"

His reply was, "Tell 'em to talk to me when they've been in four super bowls."

Maybe all Michelle needs to do is watch Davis Toms' last hole when he won the PGA Championship and then Jean Van de Velde's last hole at The OPEN back to back about a hundred times.

Bury me with a golf glove in my pocket - just in case!

• Administrator
is that an original?

A friend of mine is a Tigers (baseball) fan, so picking on them has become easier through the years...

Oh, come'on she's only 16. The only things about golf I knew at 16 were, grip it and rip and, and attack every pin. Hell, it wasn't until 2 years ago when I really got into course management, and that was after 16 years of play. She'll learn through experience.

Callaway RazrFit Extreme 9.5 w/Project X 6.5
Callaway XHot Pro 15* 3Wood w/Project X 6.5
Callaway XTour 18* 2h w/S300
Callaway XHot Pro 4/5 irons w/S300
Callaway XForged III 5-PW irons w/S300
Callaway Forged 52*/58* Wedges
Odyssey 7 Versa 90
Callaway Hex Black Tour

Here's a quote for y'all

It is not the critic who counts: not the man who points out how the strong man stumbles or where the doer of deeds could have done better. The credit belongs to the man who is actually in the arena, whose face is marred by dust and sweat and blood ... who, at the best, knows, in the end, the triumph of high achievement, and who, at the worst, if he fails, at least he fails while daring greatly, so that his place shall never be with those cold and timid souls who knew neither victory nor defeat."

Basically she's 16, just let the kid play

What's in the bag

Driver:Callaway Big Bertha Fusion Ft-3 Tour-Aldila Nvs
3-wood:Callway Big Bertha-Aldila nv shaft
Hybrid:Callway Heavenwood 2h and 3hIrons:Titleist 735 cm 4-pwWedges:Cleveland Cg10 54 and 60Putter:Scotty Cameron Pro Platinum Newport 2Ball:Callaway Hx tour 56Bag:Ping J bag..Red...

It is true to say that we are much harder on others than we are on ourselves. If I was missing cuts by one or two strokes I'd be an amazing golfer, thats a fact. The fact that she's almost there in men's events is a testament to how good she really is at a very young age.

Every failure will only make her stronger. She's got a lot of growing to do too... look out when she reaches her fitness pinnacle. Scary.

Jeff

10.5° Callaway FT-iZ Tour

18°, 20°, 23° Adams Idea Pro Prototype Hybrid

4-9 Titleist 690.CB
48° Titleist Vokey Tour Nickel
54°, 58° Titleist Vokey Tour Oil Can

Scotty Cameron NP2, 33"

No, she is just to young. I am sure it will all change once she gets the confidence.
DBake
Titleist 909D3 10.5* Tour Green 89 Stiff
Titleist 906F2 15* v2 85 Stiff
Mizuno MP-30 2-PW S300
Mizuno MP-R 52* & 59*Scotty Cameron Studio Design 1.5Titleist Pro V1Leupold GX-1The Home Course (75.7/130)

• Administrator
Here's a quote for y'all

That's great, but nobody's taking themselves seriously and if we didn't get to talk about the pros we wouldn't have a whole lot to talk about.

I'm not saying don't judge her completely, but just don't label her a choker, choke artist, master in the art of falling on her face, just quite yet, She has had to grow up in the spotlight under extreme criticimize and I think she is handling it very well, So here's to talking bout pro's and the game they play.

What's in the bag

Hybrid:Callway Heavenwood 2h and 3hIrons:Titleist 735 cm 4-pwWedges:Cleveland Cg10 54 and 60Putter:Scotty Cameron Pro Platinum Newport 2Ball:Callaway Hx tour 56Bag:Ping J bag..Red...

• Administrator
I'm not saying don't judge her completely, but just don't label her a choker, choke artist, master in the art of falling on her face, just quite yet, She has had to grow up in the spotlight under extreme criticimize and I think she is handling it very well, So here's to talking bout pro's and the game they play.

Perhaps here is where we differ: I believe that what you are right now has only a small bearing on what you will become. Calling her a choker now doesn't mean she'll always be a choker... it just means she is right now. And it seems to me that she's got a small case of the chokes

right now . I also hope she grows out of 'em or learns to beat them down.

Maybe this has something to do with what Tiger was always talking about-learning to win at all levels before he moved on. Michelle seems to have went from the womb to the lpga tour and is suffering her growing lumps there, I don't really consider it choking, it's getting experience in these pressure situations and learning how to handle them. The ol' adage " You gotta learn to lose, before you can learn to Win".

What's in the bag

My thing is this: We have to hear about Michelle Wie every 15 seconds in the golf news, so we should definitely expect it from her. She brought all this on herself, and she should be making cuts or not playing in men's events. Period.

It's too eary to tell if she is going to be a choker or not, but I would say she is at the moment. And I'm glad she hasn't made a cut in a men's event yet. I will stand by my opinions on the matter that she shouldn't be playing with the men.

I go with John Daly's remarks on her playing with the men.

"Once she's made it through "Q"-School, she should be able to play all she wants."

Bury me with a golf glove in my pocket - just in case!

I go with John Daly's remarks on her playing with the men.

Amen JD! I like him more all the time!

Danny    In my :ping: Hoofer Tour golf bag on my :clicgear: 8.0 Cart

Driver:   :pxg: 0311 Gen 5  X-Stiff.                        Irons:  :callaway: 4-PW APEX TCB Irons 
3 Wood: :callaway: Mavrik SZ Rogue X-Stiff                            Nippon Pro Modus 130 X-Stiff
3 Hybrid: :callaway: Mavrik Pro KBS Tour Proto X   Wedges: :vokey:  50°, 54°, 60° 
Putter: :odyssey:  2-Ball Ten Arm Lock        Ball: :titleist: ProV 1

Note: This thread is 6719 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!