IGNORED

Liking a Job vs. Making Money

Alex B
Note: This thread is 5795 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

1. 1. What's More Important in a Job?

• Liking It
    • Making Money

Guys,

I'm currently at an impasse for deciding what I want to do with my life. Although I'm still young (only 16) and therefore have time, I want to know the direction that I'm going to take my life: specifically, what kind of career I want. Unfortunately, my passions in school (English, history, philosophy, and latin) do not feed into many well-paying jobs; the math/science sector (where the money is) bores me. I am best, however, at these math- and science-related topic (both in school and in comprehension and thought) that I dislike. Perhaps my aversion to this lucrative sphere stems from my desire not to have anything to do with medicine; with two parents and two step-parents as physicians, I do not want to follow in their footsteps.

For several years, I thought that I would follow my gut and teach history or something along those lines. As I realize, however, the large amount of wealth my parents possess, I do not want to feel that I am taking a step backward into a less-lucrative position. For some reason, money has become very important to me of late, and I have a desire to leave my parents in the dust.

So, confused, I posit to you all the same question I have asked many friends and relatives: What is more important in a job: liking it or making good money?

Thanks in advance for any input.

What's in my bag:

Driver: R7 CGB Max, regular shaft
4-wood and 7-wood: :: Launcher, regular shafts
4-iron to A-wedge: X-20, regular steel shafts56- and 60-degree wedge: forged, stiff steel shafts, vintage finish, MD groovesPutter: Circa '62, No. 7, steel shaft, 35"Ball: NXT Tour or ProV1(x)...

Guys,

Alex,

As someone who is embarking on his second career, my advice to you is to find a career that you would do for free and then find a way to make money. You say that you love English, History, Philosophy and Latin. You can major in three of the four and then go onto Law School. If that does not appeal to you, you can get your Masters in three of the four and become a tenured professor. Or you can major in Journalism and use all of them to your advantage. I used to be a financial analyst. I did it for ten years and then my company downsized. I thought about what I wanted to do and am back in school with goals of becoming a teacher. While I won't make as much, initially, I will be able to still make a good living. I will also have roughly 3 months off, every year and be home by 4PM. I'll also be able to spend time with my two sons. I cannot put a dollar value on this. I hope this helped. Good luck! Alex-One thing I wanted to add about majors. My brother majored in Communications and Film/Television. He kept on hearing about how tough it would be to get into the business, etc. How making money would be tough. When he started, he was making $75 a day. Today, he makes almost double..per hour. He's also worked some of the biggest sporting events in television: Super Bowl, Stanley Cup, World Series, Daytona 500. He also has two Emmys. My point is follow your dreams. The cash will come.

Titleist 905T Accra SC75 M4 Shaft

Nike SQ 4W Accra T70 M4 Shaft
HB001 17* Hybrid with Mitsubishi Diamana Thump X Stiff Flex
Baffler Pro 20* Accra Axiv 105 Tour Hybrid Shaft

Taylor Made 24* Burner Accra Axiv 105 Tour Hybrid Shaft

Mizuno MP-32 5-PW Black Oxide Finish Project X 6.0 Shafts

Vokey 52* Oil Can Finish TTDG S400 Shaft

Cleveland 588 60* TTDG S400 Shaft

Rife Bimini Blade Putter

Ball-White and Round

Money. Liking your job doesnt mean a thing if you cant afford to pay your bills and still have a little left over to have some fun with.

Whats in my :sunmountain: C-130 cart bag?

Woods: :mizuno: JPX 850 9.5*, :mizuno: JPX 850 15*, :mizuno: JPX-850 19*, :mizuno: JPX Fli-Hi #4, :mizuno: JPX 800 Pro 5-PW, :mizuno: MP T-4 50-06, 54-09 58-10, :cleveland: Smart Square Blade and :bridgestone: B330-S

I picked making money, mostly because I do like my job but the money could be better(always seems the case I guess), of course being happy with what you do is important and I know an awful lot of peope would say that. But you can tollerate a lot more if the money is right I feel.
My Bag

Driver: Sumo 460 10.5º Stiff
4 & 7 Woods: T-40 Stiff
Irons: Tight Lies GT 3-PWWedges: Tom Watson SignaturePutter: Daiwa DG-245Ball: One PlatinumGone Golfin'

Alex,

Odds are you will change your career several times over your lifetime but always follow your passion rather than chase the almighty dollar. Contrary to popular belief, money doesn't buy happiness, it just creates the want for more money.

golf_junkie is right, follow your dreams.

Alan Olson

Follow The Sand Trap on Twitter!
Check out our Facebook page!

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

You are young, follow your dreams. No one reaches their fullest potential (for themselves and our soceity) by doing something they don't like.

I picked money though.

In the Bag...Ping Hoofer

3dx Tour Square - UST V2 HMOI X Flex
3dx 15* - X flex
Baffler DWS 20* Aldila NV Stiff 4-GW 600XC Forged Irons- S Flex 55* SW - Burner XD 60* LW - Burner XD Craz E Putter <----ProV1x---> Pellet

I was wondering.

You can absolutely do both. But take it from someone that deals with peoples careers for a living. The most important thing you can as a young person is have patience. You will change your mind 20 times between your age now and when you reach "career age".

I can also tell you, that the most important thing to have a healthy career, is waking up and enjoying what you do. The biggest causes of stress in this world, are money and health. If your bills are paid, you will have less stress, but find something that you will enjoy. Most people looking for a job always believe the grass is greener on the other side. In reality, every career has its positives and its negatives, so weigh your options and decide what you believe is going to fulfill you as a person.

To add a bit more to that I guess it depends on how much you want to like your job.

I like my job and make good money (thats good to me, as opposed to good to someone like Tiger!), so I guess I've done both.

To me liking my job means I enjoy what I do, I like most of the people I encounter, if there is a bit more to get done, I will sometimes work longer hours to get it done, when I wake up in the mornings, I don't not want to go to work, but at the end of the day there are things I would rather do, such as play golf!

However I guess you could absolutely love your job, where you don't ever want to go home, and you can't wait for the weekend to end if you are not working it! Although not impossible I would image finding something like this would be a lot harder.

I would never do something I really hated, even if the money was good. Although I guess its easy to say that from my situation.

I didn't know what I wanted to do until I was in my early 20s and then returned to school to pursue it. I made super money back in the 90s but it came with some stress that eventually broke up my family. Now I make a better than average wage and I still very much enjoy the work, but I learned to prioritize some things higher than money and am much happier and healthier for it. The worst thing is going to a job every morning you dread. I had neighbors that were doctors that had wished they had chosen different careers (accountant and biology).

You're 16 years old so have fun, you've got lots of time to figure it out without committing to anything.

"You can live to be a hundred if you give up all the things that make you want to live to be a hundred." Woody Allen
My regular pasture.

I picked liking it. At the age of 16, you do have some time....and plenty of options.

When I graduated high school, I had an idea of what I would like to do.....what I would enjoy. I just didn't have the money to pay for college....so i joined the workforce. I worked in a manufacturing facility (sweating and getting filthy everyday) as well as worked jobs in restaurants for about 4 yrs before I finally decided on what I wanted to do (which ended up being exactly what I told everybody that asked me what I was going to do after high school).

The biggest thing for me....I don't dread going to work! I actually look forward to going to work everyday (for the most part)! That trumps money by far.

I am 25, and was in the same boat as far as decision on what I wanted to do after college. To keep it short and simple, find something you really like to do. If you have a passion for it and enjoy it, the money will eventually come. I have so many friends from college who chased the almighty dollar instead of looking for something they would enjoy. I can see that it takes a toll on them.

Nike SQ 9.5 w/ ProLaunch Red
Titliest 906F2 15
Miura 202 3-5 Irons
Miura Blade 6-PW Irons
Mizuno MP 51 & 56Yes! Tracy IINike One Black

The worst thing is going to a job every morning you dread. I had neighbors that were doctors that had wished they had chosen different careers (accountant and biology).

Take this man's words to heart. Right now I am living that. For my Jr and Sr year in High School I attended a Career/Technology Center and "majored" in Computer Support. My Senior year I was offered an intership with the local United Way. After I graduated that intership turned into a job that I didn't take seriously. I enjoyed the job but since it was my first job I wasn't serious about it. Plus I had decided that I didn't want to do anything "techy". I was going to become a History teacher. I love history. So this was just a job to get me through until I started college (which my Jr and Sr year I had decided I wasn't going to college because for what I was planning on doing in computers you really didn't need to go to college) and maybe get me through college. Well one Friday I was called into my bosses office and was given the "it's not you it's us" speech. Looking back I know it was me and not them.

I was given a great opportunity to get out of the retail world and got my current job with the company my mom worked for. 7 years later I'm sitting in a cubicle hating my job. Every morning I wake up thankful that the weekend is one day closer. Then when the weekend comes it's over way too fast. Now I'm in the situation that to continue to live the life that I'm use to (which isn't all that glamorous) I can't leave my job because I make too much and without the college education that I decided long ago I didn't want, I'd take too much of a pay cut to "survive". At 16 money means a lot, mostly because you don't have much of it. Most of the money you have is given to you from your parents and I'm sure you might earn some of it too. I know at 16 I was working because I wanted to buy a car. Money isn't everything though. So what you don't become a doctor, I'm sure your parents won't disown you over it. I'm sure you've hear it before, but I'll say it anyways.
If you love your job, you'll never work a day in your life.

In my Pro-Walker stand bag:

Driver: Founders Club "The Judge" Graphite shaft (benched for bad play)
3-wood: 15* steel shaft
5 & 7-wood: Velocitized BBT Oversized Graphite Shaft Medium Flex 21* & 25*3-iron: Wilson Sam Snead Blue Ridge (benched for bad play)4-SW: Maker's Pride irons steel shaftsP...

Liking it is the most important in my opinion. I look at it this way : What's the point in living when you hate waking up everyday to go to your job?

Life is too short; do something you enjoy as long as you and your family can live comfortably.

Driver Ping G10 10.5*
Hybrids Ping G5 (3) 19* Bridgestone J36 (4) 22*
Irons Mizuno MP-57 5-PW
Wedges Srixon WG-504 52.08 Bridgestone WC Copper 56.13
Putter 33" Scotty Cameron Studio Select #2

Slightly O/T, I forgot to mention that my youngest daughter is going through the same turmoil now that she has graduated high school and feels pressure that she has to pick a career and go for it right now, this very minute. This anxiety has clouded her vision of what her real passion is. I'm trying to convince her to take college classes that will support a later decision; an Associates Degree in Undecided if you will.

"You can live to be a hundred if you give up all the things that make you want to live to be a hundred." Woody Allen
My regular pasture.

I'm the same age as you, and all of my friends have figured out What they want to be, while I'm onto something, I still haven't fully committed to it, I took courses next year that will open up alot of opportunities.

I am leaning towards Engineering. A very hard industry to get into.
In My Bag

Driver: Sasquatch 460 9.5°
3 Wood: Laser 3 Wood 15°
5 Wood: r7 19° (Stiff)Irons: S58 Irons 4-PW Orange DotWedge: Harmonized 60°Wedge: Z TP 54°Putter: Tiffany 34"Balls: Pro V1 Shoes: Adidas Tour 360 IIThe Meadows Golf Coursewww.themeadowsgc.comAge: 16

Your friends may "think" that they have figured out what they want to do. And I applaud them doing so, but trust me, they will change their mind a dozen times before they are 25.

Note: This thread is 5795 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!