IGNORED

SortaGolf - Good or Bad for the Game

HytrewQasdfg
Note: This thread is 5416 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

1. 1. SortaGolf?

• Good for the game
    • Occasionally good, but I prefer real golf rules
    • Bad for the game
    • I never color outside the lines

Learn the game. To me, it would seem an empty victory to play golf using anything but the the USGA rules. I learned how to play golf that way. Sure I shot 95 or whatever but it was a real 95. Then I broke 90 then 80 then 70 but I did it the correct way.

I would not want to tell anyone else how to play golf so as far as whether it is good or bad, I say neither. Its just a different way to play. I will say that if you want to enjoy the spirit of the game and strive to be as good as you can be, then there is no place for sortaGolf in your game.

Danny    In my :ping: Hoofer Tour golf bag on my :clicgear: 8.0 Cart

Driver:   :pxg: 0311 Gen 5  X-Stiff.                        Irons:  :callaway: 4-PW APEX TCB Irons 
3 Wood: :callaway: Mavrik SZ Rogue X-Stiff                            Nippon Pro Modus 130 X-Stiff
3 Hybrid: :callaway: Mavrik Pro KBS Tour Proto X   Wedges: :vokey:  50°, 54°, 60° 
Putter: :odyssey:  2-Ball Ten Arm Lock        Ball: :titleist: ProV 1

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

• 11 months later...
Good for beginners (like me) and kids, mainly to speed up the game.
In my newbie Alpine Carry Bag
Driver - Tight Lies
3 Wood - Tight Lies
5 Wood - Tight Lies
Hybrids - 3DX IW #3/#4Irons - 3DX RC #5-PWPutter - D3-DF

Very good for beginners. No reason to be humiliated out on the course. People automatically expect too much of themselves. It's a bummer for a beginner to hit their 1 good tee shot of the day and then drive out to find it in a divot. I always tell my high handicap friends/playing partners to move it, doesn't bother me at all. When they get a little more consistent they can learn to hit out of a divot or other unfavorable lie

Very good for beginners. No reason to be humiliated out on the course. People automatically expect too much of themselves. It's a bummer for a beginner to hit their 1 good tee shot of the day and then drive out to find it in a divot. I always tell my high handicap friends/playing partners to move it, doesn't bother me at all. When they get a little more consistent they can learn to hit out of a divot or other unfavorable lie

I agree, also my 77 year old father plays a lot by these rules, which I don't have a problem with. As long as he still goes out and plays.

Craig 

Yeah, wanna make 14 dollars the hard way?

So long as everyone in the group is playing by the same rules, I don't see any harm if those rules deviate from the official USGA rules.

Besides, some of "the rules" are just bad.
For example, a specific glove being banned by the USGA (the Bionic Glove).

I guess it was inevitable that I would vote bad for the game. There are already enough people on golf courses who don't have a clue about the rules or etiquette of the game, and all this does is promote more of the same.

I have no issue with beginners fudging the rules, but I draw the line at deliberate and organized ignorance of the Rules of Golf.

Rick

"He who has the fastest cart will never have a bad lie."

In my opinion, once you hit a certain handicap, say 20 or so, you should definitely be following the rules precisely. But a relaxed set of rules to play by for beginners and kids can still keep the game enjoyable and prevent slow play.

I don't like "Any found ball is yours" though.
In my newbie Alpine Carry Bag
Driver - Tight Lies
3 Wood - Tight Lies
5 Wood - Tight Lies
Hybrids - 3DX IW #3/#4Irons - 3DX RC #5-PWPutter - D3-DF

.......and whoever came up with 4 1/4" for the size of the cup?! It oughta be at least 6" in diameter! If they can't get something as simple as that right, why should we play by any of the other rules?! . . . . . . . sigh.......

In David's bag....

Driver: Titleist 910 D-3;  9.5* Diamana Kai'li
3-Wood: Titleist 910F;  15* Diamana Kai'li
Hybrids: Titleist 910H 19* and 21* Diamana Kai'li
Irons: Titleist 695cb 5-Pw

Wedges: Scratch 51-11 TNC grind, Vokey SM-5's;  56-14 F grind and 60-11 K grind
Putter: Scotty Cameron Kombi S
Ball: ProV1

.......and whoever came up with 4 1/4" for the size of the cup?! It oughta be

No, no, no.....you're going the wrong direction.

The cups should be 2" in diameter. Any slob can make a putt with a 4.25" cup. . . . . . . . (bigger) sigh.......

• Administrator

I suppose we should all be allowed to have those practice grips too, huh?

Erik J. Barzeski —  I knock a ball. It goes in a gopher hole. 🏌🏼‍♂️
Director of Instruction Golf Evolution • Owner, The Sand Trap .com • AuthorLowest Score Wins
Golf Digest "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17 & "Best in State" 2017-20 • WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019 :edel: :true_linkswear:

Check Out: New Topics | TST Blog | Golf Terms | Instructional Content | Analyzr | LSW | Instructional Droplets

I think there are two issues here at play and the lines got blurred in four pages (and a year's worth) of responses. In my interpretation the "sort of golf" rules would be for the weekend players, the after work - fit between league folks.

For tournaments, leagues, matches and the avid, under 10 handicap players, etc. the USGA rules are there to be followed for those events.

Too often on weekends, we're playing behind groups (and groups and groups) of players learning the game, not adequately skilled at the game or just out having a good time. All viable and acceptable reasons for playing on the weekends with friends, but sort of golf rules would assist in speeding that process up. Plop in the pond, drop a ball; search in the weeds; drop a ball. Crap-ola shot off the tee; mulligan time. For fun, for recreation, for moving along foursomes who are playing holes for dimes or bragging rights or beers in the club-house, I say, "Move along, let's go."

Some of the posters on here were concerned with "real scores" and "true scoring" and handicaps. Guys (and gals) - handicaps are developed in leagues, tournaments and scores are posted in these events also that "mean something." Play them by USGA military strictness; for sure. But the 4-5 hour rounds of "hunt and peck" whack and walk" need to be more relaxed - while faster, no doubt.

I'm all for clubs and courses publishing versions of these rules (modified perhaps) to encourage golfers - especially weekend fun golfers - to keep things moving by following the "abreviated" rules of golf. Print these 7 rules on the card and ask players to follow them whenever scores, matches, whatever matters little, except for the fun derived from playing that day with your buddies.

Amended rule # 3; on the green - double bogey is max. Not on the green yet - triple bogey is max. But in either case, pick up your ball, you're done!
I make all my own clubs:
Driver: Snake Eyes Python XLD | | 3-Wood: Snake Eyes Python XL Faiway, 15*  | | Snake Eyes HT Iron Set, 3-, 4-Utility, 5-, 6-Hybrid, 7-PW Cavity Back | | Golfsmith G-40 Wedges, 52, 56, 60 | | Distance Master DM-AS2 Putter | |Ball? The last one I found ... that... was YOURS!!

I suppose we should all be allowed to have those practice grips too, huh?

Nah, I think the anything equipment rule needs to be dropped. There needs to be

some limitations.
I make all my own clubs:
Driver: Snake Eyes Python XLD | | 3-Wood: Snake Eyes Python XL Faiway, 15*  | | Snake Eyes HT Iron Set, 3-, 4-Utility, 5-, 6-Hybrid, 7-PW Cavity Back | | Golfsmith G-40 Wedges, 52, 56, 60 | | Distance Master DM-AS2 Putter | |Ball? The last one I found ... that... was YOURS!!

i think that "sortagolf" is good for recreational players. it helps keep the pace up on the course and they will probably enjoy themselves more and keep coming back. and even for local, semi-informal tournaments, i think sortagolf is fine (example: i played a locals only 2-man scramble last year that allowed one mulligan per nine holes and you could improve your lie within one club length no closer to the hole unless you were in a hazard). but if you're aiming to really compete and/or improve your game, then play strictly by the rules.

my two cents, anyway.

In my opinion, this format encourages players to never improve, and in that sense, it is a bad idea. It tricks bad players into staying bad, but thinking that they are better than they are. It encourages the ingraining of bad habits, applauds players who ignore even the simplest of rules.

When I first learned the game, I played hit the ball, find the ball, hit the ball, and don't screw round while you do it. If I lose the ball, then I drop a ball and hit the ball. It doesn't get much easier than that.

While simple, that is the purest form of the game of golf, and it's also mostly in keeping with the most basic principles of the game, to play your own ball from tee to hole and to play the course as you find it.

If you want to simplify the rules, that is the way to do it.

Rick

"He who has the fastest cart will never have a bad lie."

I'm fine with sortagolf for beginners. So long as you aren't slowing my round down or tearing up the course, I don't see a problem. There's also inevitably going to be some people who start without playing the rules, grow to love the game, and start to play the way it's supposed to be played.

In my bag:
'07 Burner (10.5*) Driver
Unknown model 3 & 5 Woods (next to get replaced)
Rescue (21*) Hybrid
Di7 4i-GW 56/08 Oil Can Wedge Rossa Blade Putter NXT Tour Balls

I'm fine with sortagolf for beginners. So long as you aren't slowing my round down or tearing up the course, I don't see a problem. There's also inevitably going to be some people who start without playing the rules, grow to love the game, and start to play the way it's supposed to be played.

I can't agree more ... I think the NUMBER ONE job golf courses have is to determine the BEST way to keep golfers engaged, enthused and want to come back for more. Business Finance 101, folks.

Relaxing the rules for the recreational golfer and encouraging such on a "friendly basis" should be part of the courses' plans in keeping things moving, keeping things fun and keeping customers returning to their establishment.
I make all my own clubs:

Note: This thread is 5416 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!