IGNORED

What's Going To Be the Biggest Story On the PGA Tour Now?

RX Phoenix
Note: This thread is 5769 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

1. 1. How Are You Going To Stay Interested In the Tour Now?

• Ryder Cup Selections and Play
    • PGA Championship
    • Fed Ex Cup
    • Anthony Kim's Development
    • David Duvals Attempt To Return to Form
    • Phil Mickelson . . . How Will He Play
    • Kenny Perry's Play
    • Other

Without Tiger, how are you going to stay interested in the Tour for the rest of the year?

2009 Burner R
FT-I Fusion Squareway 3W 15* Fujikura Speeder Fit-On R
5W R7 R
FT Fusion Hybrids Draw 3/21*, 4/24*
G5 5-PW X-forged Vintage: 52.12, 56.14MDScotty Cameron: Newport 2 ProV1

Nothing can compare to The Ryder Cup hype we will get the next couple months. It has seriously turned into one of the biggest spectacles in the golf world and rightfully so. It should be even more interesting this year with the match-up of Faldo vs. Azinger and the absence of Mr. Woods. I can't wait!!

I would also like to see The FedEx Cup get some respect. The battle should be pretty close with Tiger being out. If Anthony Kim gets hot and wins it, that will be a pretty big story. Right now, he definitely has the most hype around him.

And as always, the final major will be interesting as well. It's a major for crying out loud, so it will have my full attention for sure.

Perry and Mickelson? Blah. As for Duval, it would be nice to see him continue his solid play from this past weekend, but I'm afraid that was just a flash in the pan. I doubt we see him do much more this season, although it was nice to see him bounce back and have a good final round today.

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

The Ryder Cup should be great as Thrash mentioned. If the Fedex cup did actually get taken seriously, or more seriously I should say, it'd be more fun to watch.

Driver Ping G10 10.5*
Hybrids Ping G5 (3) 19* Bridgestone J36 (4) 22*
Irons Mizuno MP-57 5-PW
Wedges Srixon WG-504 52.08 Bridgestone WC Copper 56.13
Putter 33" Scotty Cameron Studio Select #2

I guess I'll be watching to see how Anthony Kim continues to develop. Honestly though, besides the PGA Championship, not much else has me interested. I'm curious to see how the FedEx Cup does in the ratings department without Tiger though.
My Clubs
Driver: HiBore XL 10.5*
3-Wood: SS-01
Hybrid: 503H 22*
Irons: Deep Red II TourSand Wedge: CG10 56*Lob Wedge: CG10 60*Putter: V Foil GT M6.4KBall: ProV1

The Ryder Cup----the US of A has played terribly, as we all know---last two matches were losses by the score of 18 1/2 to 9 1/2, and the story of the one in Ireland at the K Club was simple. Tiger got up on the first tee on the first day and had a five wood "to keep the ball in play". He pulled his shot into the River, and looked at Jim Furyk as if to say, "It is ALL UP TO YOU now, buddy." Furyk proved he was not to be outdone in hitting into a "watery grave". Later, on the last hole, he splashed one.

Now, US of A----Tiger is OUT, and it really, really is UP TO YOU!! And you know what---WE REALLY HAVE A PROBLEM. It is called DESIRE. Last year, Paul Azinger was at the Mohawk Club, near Albany, NY, for a Skins Game to benefit the Ellis Hospital. In the press room, I asked him if ANY of the American prospects had the intensity and desire to win shown by Payne Stewart throughout all of 1999 when he publicly declared that he wanted to be on the team to play at the Country Club. "In the last two matches, I was NOT on the team, " he said. "And WE LOST. I want to get on the team, and WE WILL WIN. That is my story and I am sticking to it." He won the AT&T; and the US Open at Pinehurst, earned his way back onto the team, and the US pulled the Sunday Comeback Miracle predicted by Captain Ben Crenshaw, and WE WON----------------for THE LAST TIME.
'Zinger thought about my question, and answered it, "I HAVE THAT DESIRE." If the Captain can inspire, and make good choices in picking partners, then we have THE RIGHT MAN. The Euros ALWAYS have the desire. Maybe, just maybe, on home soil at Valhalla, we will actually WANT TO WIN SO BAD that we can taste it. Remember how Ben Hogan introduced his US team at the Opening Ceremony when he was Captain? "These are the 12 BEST PLAYERS in the world. See you in the morning. Good afternoon." That is called ATTITUDE.

Mitch Pezdek------Dash Aficionado and Legend in My Own Mind

I never liked the Ryder Cup for some reason, so I dont care about that. I am anxious to see if Padraig can keep it up for the PGA Championship. Who knows, maybe Norman can lead after that tournament and blow it on the final day again.

Nike SQ 9.5 w/ ProLaunch Red
Titliest 906F2 15
Miura 202 3-5 Irons
Miura Blade 6-PW Irons
Mizuno MP 51 & 56Yes! Tracy IINike One Black

Other. I think the story is going to be who is going to step up and be the dominant player until Tiger comes back.
Obviously Phil isnt taking advantage of the situation and Perry doesnt seem too interested in playing in the majors, so it will be interesting who will step up.
Personally, I'll still watch golf because Im a fan and a student of the game.

Whats in my :sunmountain: C-130 cart bag?

Woods: :mizuno: JPX 850 9.5*, :mizuno: JPX 850 15*, :mizuno: JPX-850 19*, :mizuno: JPX Fli-Hi #4, :mizuno: JPX 800 Pro 5-PW, :mizuno: MP T-4 50-06, 54-09 58-10, :cleveland: Smart Square Blade and :bridgestone: B330-S

I wanted to vote AK's development, PGA Championship, and Ryder Cup, but since the latter two are going to be great demonstration grounds for the first, I voted for AK's development.

-- Michael | My swing! 

"You think you're Jim Furyk. That's why your phone is never charged." - message from my mother

Driver:  Titleist 915D2.  4-wood:  Titleist 917F2.  Titleist TS2 19 degree hybrid.  Another hybrid in here too.  Irons 5-U, Ping G400.  Wedges negotiable (currently 54 degree Cleveland, 58 degree Titleist) Edel putter. 

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

I definitely think it's going to be all The Ryder Cup hype. I'm excited, and I'm anxiously waiting for it. It should be great this year !

CPGA Member
Eagles Nest Golf Club
Toronto Highlands Golf

I voted Ryder Cup; all the other choices can tie in with the Ryder Cup too. Kim and Perry make the team, how do they do, how does Mickelson perform at the cup as the U.S.'s top ranked golfer on the team etc...

Ping G 410 10.5 ˚ Driver Ping Tour Stiff Shaft
Ping G 410 14.5˚ 3 Ping Tour Stiff Shaft
Ping G 410 19˚ Ping Tour Stiff Shaft
i 500 irons 4-UW 1/2 inch over, blue dot, NS Pro Modus 105 Stiff Shafts
Ping Stealth Wedges Wedges  54˚ 58˚

Scotty Cameron Studio Select Newport 2 34" 

I'm interested to see how Greg Norman does. I'd like to see if he just played well for the Open or if he'll keep it up.

I'm also interested to see what Padraig does. He seems to have a very strong mental game - something I really aspire to have.

Driver: 10.5* 909 D3
Hybrid: 585.H Utility Metal
3-PW: Z-B Forged
50*, 54*, 58*: Vokey Spin Milled Wedges
Putter: Pro Platinum 35"Ball: Pro V1 (when I can afford them)

I definitely think it's going to be all The Ryder Cup hype. I'm excited, and I'm anxiously waiting for it. It should be great this year

I agree with you, and some of the hype has already added some excitement to the season:

1. Seve said that it would be good for the US to win since the Euros' TOTAL DOMINATION has made the event boring. If that does not get the Americans ANGRY (I intentionally used CAPITAL letters), then I give up on the US of A. 2. A few months ago, 'Zinger said that he wanted WINNERS and not just high finishers in terms of points. Paul is one of the people who said that our Tour is too wealthy now, and some players make a good living by high finishes and big checks, and the desire to WIN is not there. At that point, Kenny Perry and some others were ticked off, but look what has happened to Perry since. I remember that after the Americans lost the Ryder Cup in 1987, Jack Nicklaus said to Payne Stewart's face---"What is WRONG with you? With your talent, you should win more. Why don't you? Why did you fail us on the 18th hole?" Payne was stunned, but he admitted later that Jack was right. Jack was JUSTIFIABLY upset because so many Americans lost their matches on the last hole. The matches were held at Jack's course at Muirfield Village and although Tony Jacklin's boys had won two years prior at at the Belfry, this was the FIRST LOSS on American soil for the US of A, and Jack was one UNHAPPY CAMPER, and he let it be known. That loss was an indication of "things to come" and how the Americans needed to have some DESIRE, which they did at Kiawah in 1991 and the Country Club in 1999. How can a team have the World's #1, 2, and 3 players and LOSE BY A WIDE MARGIN? It is totally UNACCEPTABLE, and Paul Azinger has made it clear that he feels that way.

How can a team have the World's #1, 2, and 3 players and LOSE BY A WIDE MARGIN? It is totally UNACCEPTABLE, and Paul Azinger has made it clear that he feels that way.

It's a difficult one, but I see it as one of those whole is greater than the sum of parts things.

The USA don't appear to understand the concept of 'team'. In the Ryder Cup, they are a bunch of individuals wearing the same colour sweaters. Europe have become a really bonded team. And it shows.

It's a difficult one, but I see it as one of those whole is greater than the sum of parts things.

You are right. Tony Jacklin worked hard to develop the team concept and convinced the Euros they could win. RESULT: Victory at the Belfry in 1985 followed by another WIN at Jack's course at Muirfield in 1987. Seve and the other Captains have done a good job since that time. The US teams in 1991 and 1993 (Watson was Captain that year) and in 1999, of course, with Crenshaw as the TRUE BELIEVER, have been the ONLY recent WINNERS.

Just my opinion and maybe it's a bit bias since I love the guy, but I think Rocco's recent play has been the best story on the tour. Almost knocking off the world's greatest at Torrey Pines and then being in contention for the first few days of The Open.

He's playing great golf right now and I fully expect him to be up on the leaderboard at the PGA in a few weeks.

Just my opinion and maybe it's a bit bias since I love the guy, but I think Rocco's recent play has been the best story on the tour. Almost knocking off the world's greatest at Torrey Pines and then being in contention for the first few days of The Open.

Rocco is a great guy---look at the way he relates to the fans. He is playing the best golf of his career---what a GREAT story! He is 10th in Ryder Cup points now, and if he does not earn his way onto the team by points, I think Azinger will pick him.

Oops . . . maybe I should have added one other option . . .
"What in the world is Michelle Wie doing playing in a PGA event again?"
That's bound to generate a great deal of comment, most of it negative. That was supposed to be over with and more important issues like signing a scorecard take precidence.

2009 Burner R
FT-I Fusion Squareway 3W 15* Fujikura Speeder Fit-On R
5W R7 R
FT Fusion Hybrids Draw 3/21*, 4/24*
G5 5-PW X-forged Vintage: 52.12, 56.14MDScotty Cameron: Newport 2 ProV1

Rocco is a great guy---look at the way he relates to the fans. He is playing the best golf of his career---what a GREAT story! He is 10th in Ryder Cup points now, and if he does not earn his way onto the team by points, I think Azinger will pick him.

Absolutely! Really hope Rocco gets on the Ryder Cup team because I think he could be a huge piece to it.

He's just a classy, incredibly nice guy, which is something refreshing to see. He's not slamming clubs, swearing or blaming cameras when he hits a bad shot. He just puts his head down, heads to the ball and plays his next. Very humble guy, don't know how anyone could not like him.

Note: This thread is 5769 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!