IGNORED

HIGHWAY 18 - Slow Play Is Not An Option

Q.Q.Quillume
Note: This thread is 5020 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

I think it is just a blindfold...no clam. That is just the string you see there to keep it on your head

In my Datrek Rage bag:
Driver: Sumo 5000 w/ Aldila VS Proto Stiff
4-Wood: SasQuatch 2 w/ Diamana Stiff
Irons: AP2 4-PW w/ PX 6.0
Wedges: Zodia US Spec 52*, Yururi Gekku 57*, 588 DSG RTG+Putter: Scotty Cameron Studio Style 3.5 or Odyssey White Hot Tour #1Ball: ProV1 or whatever I find!

• Replies 473
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

How about this for a topic?
There was a lot of talk about how Jay treated his dad in Orlando, but I haven't heard any talk about Jay's meltdown after his 1st attempt at Innisbrook... I mean, first of all- he spends the whole day ragging his dad about playing poorly, then his dad makes par after 2 bad shots. While Jay- after saying "you make bogey, I'll make birdie" out on the fairway- blows it.
What happens after that is unlike anything that's happened on the show- at least in the way of displays of "emotion".
I mean, we have heard a few cure bleeps here & there on the show, but Jay drops about 4 (what seem to be) "F bombs" on the way back to the tee box. & if you look closely, when he turns the cart around, there appears to be a person walking a dog about 30 feet away. This was a huge moment- something that is unlike anything that's happened on the show. Jay screaming in the golf cart was something else.

How about this for a topic?

I thought that was a remarkable mental meltdown as well, and not a promising sign of his ability to prevail in competitive tournament golf. In fact, I thought that episode set up a neat little comparison between Jay's demeanor and Charlotte's approach to her brother's poor play. While Jay's histrionics made things more difficult for both himself and his partner, Charlotte kept an even keel, which I think contributed to Rob's ability to get it done. A few of her reactions I recall: when Rob started spiraling on and on about how they could still get through if he holed a long chip, and he was going to try to hole it, and blah blah, she brought him back to reality with something like, "Rob, just take the shot." (Were it Jay, you know it would have been "take the ****'g shot.") Then, on the way back to the tee-box, the most she said about Rob's play was something like, "If I ever needed a par ...." When Rob again started talking about how he could have parred the hole , she said, "Yeah, you didn't." I think it was Charlotte's calm, reasoned approach -- totally opposite Jay's appraoch in that episode -- that enabled Rob to ground himself again so that, by the time he was back on the green, he could sing a little ditty about just needing a two putt.

Good episode.

Nike Sumo 5000 V2 (9.5°) & SQ2 3W (15°) | TaylorMade Rescue Mid (19° & 22°) | Mizuno MX-23 4-PW | Callaway X-Tour (56-13°) & X-Tour MD (60-11°) | Bettinardi C-03

"I don't care how good your iron play is, if you can't drive it in the fairway you might as well break 'em up or use 'em...

So are you as disappointed as I am that Andy and Parker were elminated last night? I couldn't figure out how that happened given that A&A; were 20 minutes behind them leaving the range. So I asked the ladies last night what that was all about - like I thought...stuff happened we didn't see. Check out my post .

I'll be interviewing the rest of the contestants this week to see how everyone is feeling after the first elmination and adding those interviews to the post as well. If you have questions for them, please let me know and I'll ask.

Meanwhile, I have a candle to light. Sniff...

Golfgal

Golfgal
www.golfgal-blog.com

A few observations off the top of my head....

1. I suspect that putter was reshafted with a longer driving shaft. I don't think an ordinary putter shaft could withstand a 290 yard drive. Anyone with TIVO get a better look at it?

2. Did anyone really think the Ashes were going home? It seemed pretty clear to me -- especially given the over-the-top editing which was obviously designed to mislead -- that the Ashes were going to be safe.

3. PK's back-seat voice reminds me of Boomhouser from King of the Hill. I love that they often get subtitles when talking at full volume.

4. I can't help but wonder if there were any on-set romances after hours. Seems inevitable that a couple good southern boys would be hitting on the blondes. Massive conspiracy theory alert: that would explain why Andy was so pissed at PK in the prior episode -- which I thought was an overreaction if it was just caused by PK's frustration at Andy's driving ... maybe PK stepped on Andy's line with one of the ladies.

5. I still love Charlotte. Are we to believe that Charlotte breaks her no-crying policy in the next episode?

6. Got to hand it to Ash #1 -- great golf on that hole.

7. Wonder why Raul and J changed their strategy from giving everyone a strike to trying to eliminate? According to the GolfGal interview with one of the Ash's, the hole they gave the country boys was in fact one of the hardest in FL. Oops.

Nike Sumo 5000 V2 (9.5°) & SQ2 3W (15°) | TaylorMade Rescue Mid (19° & 22°) | Mizuno MX-23 4-PW | Callaway X-Tour (56-13°) & X-Tour MD (60-11°) | Bettinardi C-03

"I don't care how good your iron play is, if you can't drive it in the fairway you might as well break 'em up or use 'em...

That guy hit his putter longer than most people can hit a driver, amazing! I thought for sure that thing was going to shatter on impact.

7. Wonder why Raul and J changed their strategy from giving everyone a strike to trying to eliminate? According to the GolfGal interview with one of the Ash's, the hole they gave the country boys was in fact one of the hardest in FL. Oops.

Probably because they suck at strategy or determining which hole was the toughest. When they picked a par 3 for Jay and Peach I said "here comes another birdie, lol".

So are you as disappointed as I am that Andy and Parker were elminated last night? I couldn't figure out how that happened given that A&A; were 20 minutes behind them leaving the range. So I asked the ladies last night what that was all about - like I thought...stuff happened we didn't see. Check out my

Thanks. Your blog does a great job of filling us in - at least those of us like me who can't read between the lines.

While they had the luxury of saying giving everyone a strike was their strategy the first time, they were gunning for Peach and Jay specifically to get the strike over everyone else. This time, Peach and Jay already had a strike and they were trying to use the opportunity to take them out while they had the chance. They obviously think Peach and Jay are the team to beat, and didn't want to waste an opportunity to eliminate them. Of course their strategy backfired (again), but that's my assessment of why they did what they did on this episode.

Twitter - @rubofthegreen | Xbox 360 - zilegati

2. Did anyone really think the Ashes were going home? It seemed pretty clear to me -- especially given the over-the-top editing which was obviously designed to mislead -- that the Ashes were going to be safe.

I completely agree. It ruined the episode. I thought that the Ashes weren't going home because of the over-the-top editing (but wasn't completely sure), I knew Rob and Charlotte were safe (because the ads for the episode claimed that "a team is going home" or something), Jay and Peach had finished early, Raul and Jameica were in the passing lane, so I figured it had to be Andy and Parker. When they knocked it to four feet, however, I thought I might be wrong ... until there was a clip going to commercial of one of them teeing off again. I mean, c'mon. Absolutely terrible. Killed the suspension in what should have been a tension-filled episode.

5. I still love Charlotte. Are we to believe that Charlotte breaks her no-crying policy in the next episode?

Not to get OT, but, in addition to having a great personality (go Charlotte and Rob!), she may be the most attractive woman on the golf channel, ever. My goodness. (Now she's going to rip my heart out ala Sam from BB: Ka'anapali.

)

What's in my bag:

Driver: R7 CGB Max, regular shaft
4-wood and 7-wood: :: Launcher, regular shafts
4-iron to A-wedge: X-20, regular steel shafts56- and 60-degree wedge: forged, stiff steel shafts, vintage finish, MD groovesPutter: Circa '62, No. 7, steel shaft, 35"Ball: NXT Tour or ProV1(x)...

5. I still love Charlotte.

Not to get OT, but, in addition to having a great personality (go Charlotte and Rob!), she may be the most attractive woman on the golf channel, ever. My goodness. (Now she's going to rip my heart out ala Sam from BB: Ka'anapali.

Okay, both of you, back off! She's mine!

Wait, did you mention Sam? Ahhh, crap. Sam is more age-appropriate for me . . . but Charlotte and her noises! Curses!
While they had the luxury of saying giving everyone a strike was their strategy the first time, they were gunning for Peach and Jay specifically to get the strike over everyone else. This time, Peach and Jay already had a strike and they were trying to use the opportunity to take them out while they had the chance. They obviously think Peach and Jay are the team to beat, and didn't want to waste an opportunity to eliminate them. Of course their strategy backfired (again), but that's my assessment of why they did what they did on this episode.

I don't know, I think there is also some personal animosity between Team R/J and Team Reynolds (at least from R/J's side).

I was bummed to see the NC boys go. Those guys were a riot. The longer the show went on, the funnier they got. They should get to follow along and narrate and try to distract the other teams. Put a big loudspeaker on the top of their Enclave and let them go at it. Out of the ones on the chopping block, Team Reynolds was who I was hoping would go. I've defended Jay in the past, but I was fed up with his negativity and yelling after this show. Everyone else encourages their teammate. As for next show, I hope Team R/J finally get ousted. They are boring, with a capital BO and a capital RING. No personality. Friggin' emotionless, annoying drones. (Do they ever even talk?) Can't we just jettison both Team R/J and Team Reynolds next show, and then have Teams Ash(lee) and Charlotte make out duke it out for the rest of the shows?

A few observations off the top of my head....

Hey worst shot ever :)

#4 is funny. I never thought about the romance idea but now that you've planted the seed, they girls and the boys have been playing look/no look in the cars along the way - foreplay? :) And today, Jameica said in her interview today that she thought Ashley's eye candy remark was about the southern boys. LOL Golfgal Jay said it was cold and wet - maybe slippage is an issue when you're trying to kill a ball.
Not to get OT, but, in addition to having a great personality (go Charlotte and Rob!), she may be the most attractive woman on the golf channel, ever. My goodness. (Now she's going to rip my heart out ala Sam from BB: Ka'anapali. )

EVER???

I agree that Charlotte is quite an impressive young lady. I really like her - no nonsense too - love how she stays so in control (no crying over a ball). I hope she goes far in her pro career. She's got spunk! But in terms of hot on the CG...what happened to Stina? I thought she was the "hot" one on the golf channel these days? Or is she now too old? Please tell me it isn't so. She's not only gorgeous - she's a golf equipment junkie too! As a mature woman, I tend to side to those over the age of 25 :) Golfgal

Golfgal
www.golfgal-blog.com

• Administrator
While they had the luxury of saying giving everyone a strike was their strategy the first time, they were gunning for Peach and Jay specifically to get the strike over everyone else.

And what a stupid way to do it. A par three might be the toughest hole on which to make a birdie, but: a) not in a scramble, and b) not when you can play it two or maybe even three times in the time it takes another team to play a par four once.

Just stupid, stupid strategy if they were (as they stated) trying to give the Reynolds the "tough" hole and to eliminate them.
But in terms of hot on the CG

Let's please stick to the topic. (And it's not you that put us here, GG, just the one who said something about it last and got the quote...).

Erik J. Barzeski —  I knock a ball. It goes in a gopher hole. 🏌🏼‍♂️
Director of Instruction Golf Evolution • Owner, The Sand Trap .com • AuthorLowest Score Wins
Golf Digest "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17 & "Best in State" 2017-20 • WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019 :edel: :true_linkswear:

Check Out: New Topics | TST Blog | Golf Terms | Instructional Content | Analyzr | LSW | Instructional Droplets

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

Yeah, I was wondering what the hell they were thinking giving Peach and Jay the par 3. I'm not a huge fan of Peach and Jay, but it was funny watching them make birdie again on the supposed tough hole in the competition.

It sucked that Parker and Andy were the first eliminated, but someone had to be. Their driving from point-to-point seemed to hurt them as much as anything else. The girls always make up time in this area, and it helped them this past week along with two great shots on their par 4.

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

Let's please stick to the topic. (And it's not you that put us here, GG, just the one who said something about it last and got the quote...).

Yup, that'd be me. I try to be as mature and objective as I can be on this forum, and I obviously fell flat on my face in this instance. My apologies.

OK, let's see how good my math is here... Assuming that each team has an equal chance of coming in last on each episode (they obviously don't, but just go along with me), should R&J; tried to knock off a team or give everyone a strike? If Charlotte and Rob got a strike this previous episode, and the teams were evenly matched, R&J; would obviously have a 20% chance of winning (five teams each with a strike). If Charlotte and Rob remained strikeless and a team was eliminated (the current scenario), R&J; would (in my calculations) have a 18.75% chance of winning. (I'm not going to go through the details, but if anyone is interested or finds that I'm wrong, I'll respond to a PM.) Therefore, R&J; would have been better off trying to give everyone a strike. R&J; may have felt that victory would be easier with a team eliminated, but, since Charlotte and Rob have no strikes (and a whopping 43.75% chance of winning if all teams are equal), theoretically speaking, they were wrong.

What's in my bag:

Driver: R7 CGB Max, regular shaft
4-wood and 7-wood: :: Launcher, regular shafts
4-iron to A-wedge: X-20, regular steel shafts56- and 60-degree wedge: forged, stiff steel shafts, vintage finish, MD groovesPutter: Circa '62, No. 7, steel shaft, 35"Ball: NXT Tour or ProV1(x)...

Note: This thread is 5020 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!