IGNORED

Master Scotty Cameron Putters: Worth It or Not? Thread

Note: This thread is 3768 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

I have tried a bettinardi mizuno putter and i was not a fan. But only for the sole reason that i did not like the way the insert felt. However the putter set up beautifully

Personally, I find Bettinardi putters, at least the Mizuno line, too hard and 'clicky.' I prefer the feel of carbon steel, usually non plated. I have a Byron Morgan that is plated and it has a soft feel. The new Mills putter I have ordered is going to be Oil Can.

I've gamed camerons for 10 + years, my current putter is a 95 oil can. I can honestly say there will be no putter like my ping zing 2. BECAUSE its fitted for me just to my liking. This putter wold be lucky to go for 15 dollars on ebay. Im confident my Cameron would go for atleast 100. Holding value is great....sinking 6 footers when it all counts is another thing.

Personally, I feel that Cameron OTR putters really do not hold resale very well, good but certainly not great. All my Cameron OTRs have been sold with hardly any blemish (very few, if any dings, small surface scratches from gaming) and I never sold one for what I had paid for it. Most were sold close to what I paid but never at the same amount or more. Special Cameron putters do hold value due to the rarity. Even the 009s are now selling for much less than what people paid for them even last year on the used market.

I think their worth it. The feel on them is incredible, ask Tiger. I play a SeeMore putter that IMO has a softer, better feel but no doubt Scotty is worth the price.

MP-57 3-PW
907 D1
CG-12 *56
Vokey sm *60
Tight Lies 3 woodSeeMore MFGP putter

I'm in the market for a new putter, and lots of people say to get a scotty cameron are these putters really better and worth the money or are you just paying for the name.

their new kombi putter has good reviews... have you seen it? others say its just a hype, but scotty cameron make good putters!

• 1 month later...
I just recently purchased a Studio Select Newport and am eagerly awaiting its arrival. I had bought a odyssey srt 2 ball white steel putter, and this was just simply not for me. Luckily I bought it from callaway, and received a 30 day trial period. Great customer service from callaway. But I was looking for my last putter, I had tried a studio stainless years ago and have wanted one for at least 6 years. After messing with other putters (odyssey, ping, tm) I decided to just go for it.

I compare it to purchasing a Harley-Davidson instead of a Honda. The resale value of the HD's and Scotty's are way above those of their competitors, but most will still depreciate, which is expected.

"Hey! Llama! How about something..you know..for the effort.."

Putter: Scotty Cameron Studio Select
LW: Titleist Vokey 60*
SW: Bazooka Milled Carbon Steel 56*GW: Hand Made Snake Eye 3-PW: King Cobra II Tour OS5W: Taylor Made Burner SupersteelDriver: Henry Griffitts 13*...

Congrats on the purchase!!

Be ready for the critics that think paying $200+ for a putter is stupid, but buying a $400 driver is ok.

Going to get into the headcover market?

---"Be the ball"---

IN THE Hoofer Vantage BAG:
Driver: F-Speed 10.5°, Aldila NV-F
Woods: F-Speed LD 3 & 5, Aldila NV-FIrons: S9 3-PW, NS-Pro 900XH SteelWedges: CG10 52° & Spin Milled 56.10Putter: Studio Select Newport 2Ball: Pro V1x SG4

I just recently purchased a Studio Select Newport and am eagerly awaiting its arrival. I had bought a odyssey srt 2 ball white steel putter, and this was just simply not for me. Luckily I bought it from callaway, and received a 30 day trial period. Great customer service from callaway. But I was looking for my last putter, I had tried a studio stainless years ago and have wanted one for at least 6 years. After messing with other putters (odyssey, ping, tm) I decided to just go for it.

Congratulations!

I love my Scotty Cameron, I used to have an Odyssey two ball blade and my putting average was over 36... Now that I have my Scotty Cameron my putting average is 30. I am really happy because it getting lower, but what Ilike the most is that I'm getting that consistency that I want. You wouldn't regret buying it! Greetings!

Driver: 905R 9.5° (UST Proforce V2 Stiff) | Fairway: 906F2 15° (UST Proforce V2 Stiff) | Hybrid: 585.H 21° (S300) | Irons: AP2 4-PW (Project X 6.0) | Wedges: Vokey Design 52.08, 56.11 & 60.11  | Putter: Studio Select Newport 2 

www.flickr.com/avm_photo

=

I really like the headcover from the 2008 button back, but I don't see myself really getting one. I also collect pool cues, so I've already heard plenty of people's opinions on what a "waste of money" stuff like this is.

It doesn't bother me at all, having a well manufactured piece of equipment like a high end pool cue or putter is worth the price tag for me. That piece of mind that your item was handcrafted and designed well using the best materials is something I can really appreciate. My investments in some of my pool cues is far more than my recent purchase of a scotty cameron putter. I am considering collecting more of these gems since they are in fact cheaper in comparison to some of the really well made cues. My cues, however, have all appreciated in value. One of them has doubled in value in the short 5 years I have owned it. I don't plan on ever selling it either way, but it is nice to know that other people are increasing the value of something you own by producing demand for that particular item. Overall I have bought this putter to putt with. I love the feel of the cameron, and to me, spending $100 every 6 months rotating putters is more bothersome than finding that one putter that you will continue to use and improve with. There will certainly be a learning curve for this putter, as there is with any, but I feel that the quality is unsurpassed. People replace drivers on a yearly basis, but putt for years with a cheap northwestern. I don't care one bit, but I ultimately choose to improve my game. Through years in the sport, I know that the best way to do this is to improve my consistency on and around the greens.

"Hey! Llama! How about something..you know..for the effort.."

Putter: Scotty Cameron Studio Select
LW: Titleist Vokey 60*
SW: Bazooka Milled Carbon Steel 56*GW: Hand Made Snake Eye 3-PW: King Cobra II Tour OS5W: Taylor Made Burner SupersteelDriver: Henry Griffitts 13*...

I also collect pool cues, .

Bet you have been to The Brass Ring in Madison. Seems it was called the "Blue Chalk Room" or similar when I was there, not sure. I had some lessons with Jerry there about two years back. Awesome pool room.

http://www.thepoolschool.com/ Madison is an awesome area. I was very impressed. As for putters, I got a Rife Antigua last week. Got a Scotty Cameron Newport that will be permanently residing in the closet

Both. Most of the time, if you have a Scotty Cameron, you'll feel more confident.

i feel more confident with 300 odd bucks in my pocket

my clubs my bussiness

"As you walk down the fairway of life you must smell the roses, for you only get to play one round."
Ben Hogan

i feel more confident with 300 odd bucks in my pocket

I picked up my Scotty for $225 shipped with an extra grip. Mint condition, barely used.

I could have $1,000 in my back pocket while I'm standing over a 15 foot eagle putt and it's not going to give me any confidence. The Scotty Cameron....it will.

---"Be the ball"---

Woods: F-Speed LD 3 & 5, Aldila NV-FIrons: S9 3-PW, NS-Pro 900XH SteelWedges: CG10 52° & Spin Milled 56.10Putter: Studio Select Newport 2Ball: Pro V1x SG4

Been using a 2002 Scotty Studio Design 1 and 2001 Scotty Pro Platinum Newport for the last 8 years. Never looked back. They still look brandnew and Id Never sell them for anything.

I use my black studio design 90% of the time, but slower greens, tougher conditions, or a change of look from time to time and I use the pro platiunim.

They are definitely the only putters I will ever own while I play golf..

They are all about feel and consistency, hard to say they improve my putting, but they definitely compliment my stroke and it's honestly the favorite part of golf....rolling the rock

I think they are a little over priced. I think its really just the name you are actually playing for, yes the product is above most but i dont feel its no better than a YES putter or any Black series Odyssey. Just my opinion.

Higher end milled putters are all about in the same price range, anyway. Youll pay the generally the same price for a Ping redwood, bettinardi, Odyssey black series, or any other custom milled putter as you would for a Cameron. So i think they're overpriced? No. They're right within the market range for the type of putter. They might be overhyped some, but i do not think they are overpriced.

So the real question should be - are high end milled putters worth it?
THE WEAPONS CACHE..

Titleist 909 D2 9.5 Degree Driver| Titleist 906f4 13.5 degree 3-Wood | Titleist 909 17 & 21 degree hybrid | Titleist AP2 irons
Titleist Vokey Wedges - 52 & 58 | Scotty Cameron Studio Select Newport 2 Putter | ProV1 Ball

I think they are a little over priced. I think its really just the name you are actually playing for, yes the product is above most but i dont feel its no better than a YES putter or any Black series Odyssey. Just my opinion.

Resale value makes it better for one.

---"Be the ball"---

Higher end milled putters are all about in the same price range, anyway. Youll pay the generally the same price for a Ping redwood, bettinardi, Odyssey black series, or any other custom milled putter as you would for a Cameron. So i think they're overpriced? No. They're right within the market range for the type of putter. They might be overhyped some, but i do not think they are overpriced.

Well stated.

909D Comp 9.5* (house MATRIX OZIK XCON-6)
Burner Superfast 3 & 5 woods (house MATRIX OZIK XCON-4.8)
G15 Hybrid 23* (AWT shaft)
G5 5 iron-PW-46*, UW-50*, SW-54 & LW-58 (AWT shaft)
Studio Select Newport 2 Mid SlantGrips: PING cords & Golf Pride New Decade Multi-Coumpound Bag: C-130...

I'm fine paying a quarter of the price of a Scotty for a Cleveland Classic putter. Hey, if pros use them, they can't be that bad. I personally love my putter.

-Rich

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

I switched from a mallet style putter to a SC Newport Detour 2.5. I learned all about this thing called feel, it's nice! After the learning curve, my putt numbers took a nosedive :)

'08 Tour Burner
CGB Max 3W
R7 Draw 3H
CCI Forged 4-PW
GigaGolf 50°, 56°, 60° Newport Detour 2.5

• 2 weeks later...
.......a 3 put should be disgraceful weather you are using a scotty cameron or you are using an old ray cook putter. I have used both cheap and expensive putters.. and i didn't shrug off a 3 putt with either....

That made me laugh. At myself. My putter is a Ray Cook, it was about £79 (UKP) fifteen years ago. A friend at the time, who played off 4, bought it and sold it on to me when he went back to an Anser 2. It's a small mallet style, and I actually rather like it. I've tried all manner of cheap putters in the meantime and always ended back with the Ray Cook.

Unfortunately (well fortunately actually, as I expect massive improvement when I start to work on it) my putting is laughable. I will regularly three putt in the region of three or four times a round and regularly make nothing from over three yards. Along with the rest of my game a lot of this is because I don't play enough, and a fair amount because the equipment doesn't suit me at all. I've taken my time to get fitted, and I'm putting together a new bag with the clubs fitted properly (more upright). As part of this process I looked at SC's, and I have to say that I was almost universally impressed. Settling on a 34" standard weighted Newport 2, I though it gave a really easy feel that I had just not expected. What I also hadn't expected was great distance control (I have the touch of an elephant normally) and the regular occurrence of the ball disappearing into the hole from, what was for me, distance. I think they look absolutely beautiful, to my eye, and it certainly helped me align the putter with the ball when making the stroke - just because it was good to look at. Ultimately I decided it was too expensive a putter for me, while I am still developing my putter style. I opted for a rife Antigua at 35" - it will give me more flexibility in trying different putting stances and swings, and will be less hard to turn it over for a new putter when I've developed my stroke. I'm putting together my clubs partly second hand, partly reshafting existing heads, and buying wedges and putters new. For a Newport 2 in the Uk (£179) it would have represented about 25% of my total equipment purchase price. I think the SC putters are worth it, but they weren't quite worth it for me when I have yet to settle on a putting stroke. I'll look again when I can putt.

In the bag:

Driver: 975D 10.5° True Temper EI-70 Stiff (Alternate 8.5° Titleist Stiff Graphite Shaft)
Fairway Woods: 975F (2 From) 14.5°, 18.5° True Temper EI-70 Stiff, 20.5° Titleist Stiff Graphite Shaft
3Iron-PW: S58 Dynamic Gold S300 ShaftsGap Wedge: Tour-W 54/10 Nickel...

Note: This thread is 3768 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!