IGNORED

Is the LPGA OK? Is Carolyn Bivens OK?

PEZGolf
Note: This thread is 5761 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

When Carolyn Bivens became Commissioner of the LPGA Tour a couple of years ago, there was controversy and turmoil over some of her decisions. She "cleaned house" and a few important staff members quit or were let go. Bivens antagonized some important sponsors and some players went public to voice their criticisms. Much of that intial shock wave is over.

My question to you is this: is the Tour doing the best they can in terms of TV ratings, exposure, etc.? I ask this because I really like the Tour, and right now, we all agree, is truly a Golden Opportunity with Paula, Natalie, Cristie, Laura Diaz, Erica Blasberg, and other gals who can play and look good as well. I go to as many Tour events as I can. Living in Upstate NY, we have the Corning Classic and the Wegman's in Rochester, and both of them are very good events. The Wegman's is the week before the Women's Open and always draws a strong field.

As I have posted before, I have met Natalie, Paula, Annika, Laura Diaz and some of the other players. They are very fan-friendly and take their time to not only sign autographs, but to get their picture taken with fans and talk with them. Can they be marketed better or is their current TV situation, etc. the "best they can hope for"?

Mitch Pezdek------Dash Aficionado and Legend in My Own Mind

I think the LPGA is doing a good job and seems to be more popular than ever. I have been following the PGA for over 30 years and paid little attention to the LPGA until about 3 years ago....I'm not exactly sure why but it seems they are doing something right. Maybe it's a combo of marketing, better overall play, more good players and let's face it there are probably more attractive female golfers on tour now than ever before....naw that couldn't be it could it??

You can talk to a slice, but a hook doesn't listen.

In my bag:
14 clubs and some beer on ice...

I do think that the LPGA is slipping a bit and is in need of a new direction, but not to the stand point of it folding or anything like that.

Personally I'd like to see it marketed more then it is, but not for the outwardness of it's players (eye candy which I enjoy of course ) and as far as coverage I think it could be covered more then it is, but let's be honest here, while Womens sports have come along way over the years (i.e: WNBA, College Softball, LPGA) it still is not even in Men's sports radar and never will be imho.....

I would love to see the LPGA get an event here in Reno. I'd so be there

As it stands now, I have to go over the hill to the Sacramento area to see any LPGA action, which is a bummer. I hate CA

underparnv

That's how I like my golf. A kick in the face. -Ben

Driver: 983E 8.5* w/ stock stiff flex shaftIrons: MP60 - 2 through 9 irons (swap out the 2 iron for my three wood at some courses)Wedges: 588 Chrome - 47* Pitching Wedge, 53* Gap Wedge, 56* Sand Wedge MP-T Black Ni - 60* Lob WedgePutter:.....

I think the LPGA is doing a good job and seems to be more popular than ever. I have been following the PGA for over 30 years and paid little attention to the LPGA until about 3 years ago....I'm not exactly sure why but it seems they are doing something right. Maybe it's a combo of marketing, better overall play, more good players and let's face it there are probably more attractive female golfers on tour now than ever before....naw that couldn't be it could it??

Oh, I think you are on the right track: these gals are young, talented, beautiful, and work out to look so good: Natalie, Paula, Erica Blasberg, Laura Diaz, Cristie Kerr, etc.

Needless to say, I am a BIG FAN of the LPGA!! My son is the Head Golf Pro at St. Lawrence University in Canton, NY, and the Asst. Golf Coach for men and women. His boss, and his coach when he played there, is Mary Lawrence, who played on the LPGA Tour for five years with players like Beth Daniel, Nancy Lopez, Betsy King, Patty Sheehan, etc. She has noticed the remarkable differences in the gals of today and the ones in her day.

I do think that the LPGA is slipping a bit and is in need of a new direction, but not to the stand point of it folding or anything like that.

You are right. They have done many things that are improvements, and realize, realistically that their goal is to be #2----in TV ratings---behind the PGA Tour and ahead of the Champions Tour. Would the average guy rather watch the Old Boys play or the Young Gals?

I would love to see the LPGA get an event here in Reno. I'd so be there

Reno is a great suggestion, and is the kind of market area the LPGA Tour does well in. Rochester, NY, and Corning are small market areas but the whole town gets out and supports the two LPGA tournaments because they are a BIG SHOW for the locals, and they love to volunteer, help out, and turn out in good numbers for the gallery counts.

Not necessarily the image I think the LPGA should pursue first, but seven players recently signed as a group with the Wilhelmina modeling agency.

Wilhelmina Artist Management, a division of Wilhelmina Models, has formed a new division titled W7 - Wilhelmina 7 - which is comprised of seven Tour members: Minea Blomqvist, Kim Hall, Johanna Head, Mikaela Parmlid, Stacy Prammanasudh, as well as Sandra Gal and Anna Grzebien. W7 will seek out women with the game, the beauty and the personality to create a major presence in women's sports, both on and off the course.

I'm close enough to the Sybase Classic to volunteer every year, and the Match Play championship used to practically down the block (when Sybase moved up from Atlantic City, the Match Play went to New York State). I love seeing the tourneys in person. It's much more approachable than the PGA. But it totally burns me up that the seniors gets more press play than the women do. I like Tom Watson as well as anyone, but c'mon.
WITB
Driver--PING Rhapsody, 16*
Fairway Wood--PING Rhapsody 22*
Hybrids--Cobra Bafflers, 3 (23*), 6 (32*)
Irons--Callaway X-20, 7-AW SW--Wilson ProstaffLW--Nancy LopezPutter--Bettinardi HawkBalls--Pinnacle Gold DistanceBags--Datrek IDS (cart), Sun Mountain 3.5 (carry)

Not necessarily the image I think the LPGA should pursue first, but seven players recently signed as a group with the Wilhelmina modeling agency.

I agree with you, completely.

i like the lpga too, but its not gaining any new fans, i dont think. i dont think enough is being done to get minorities and girls in the game, and i really dont know what can be done about that. its too bad.

Colin P.

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

I'll say this. I rather watch the LPGA tour any day over the Champions Tour.
In the Bag:

Driver 10.5 r7 460 ti Reax regular shaft
3 Wood 15.5 LD F Speed Aldila NV stiff shaft
Hybrids 19 Tour Burner Rescue Reax stiff shaft. 21 degree torch series saber shaftIrons Sliver Scot 4-pw Rifle 5.0 shaftsSand Wedge 56 Degree Cg10 Black pearl finish 2 dotLob Wedge 60...

I like watching the LPGA, but I think they do a poor job hyping up the game. Their web site is terrible in that it has information, but none of it is very interesting writing. The only time I visit the web site is to get statistical information. Their interviews and articles are so boring that I do not even bother to read them anymore.

They have many talented players, but I really do not know much about any of them. It seems that they are looking for the product to sell itself rather than selling the product to the public.

Gotta create drama and interest. Look at the NFL. The games take too long and it is not better than other games, but the NFL creates enough hype for a huge following. They sell the game to the public. Who would think to create hype for draft picks and summer practice. I can't wait for the season to start!
In my bag:

Driver: R7 SuperQuad
Woods: RPM LP 3W & 5W
Irons: MX-25 4-SWPutter: Detour

I like watching the LPGA, but I think they do a poor job hyping up the game. Their web site is terrible in that it has information, but none of it is very interesting writing. The only time I visit the web site is to get statistical information. Their interviews and articles are so boring that I do not even bother to read them anymore.

You make some valid points. Now, I have been thinking about the "hurdles" the LPGA Tour has to overcome:

1. Most men would rather have a root canal than watch ANY women's sports on TV---except for beach volleyball. They don't watch the WNBA, softball, etc. They want to watch FOOTBALL, FOOTBALL, maybe baseball, some basketball, but NO women's sports. There are three TV's at the bar at the k of C where I go, and if I switch ONE of them to the LPGA, I am threatened with bodily harm. 2. Golf is NOT an action sport that is easily hyped up. When Tiger used to play, people watched. With him out of the picture, the TV ratings have plummeted. Anthony Kim will never come close to Tiger in drawing people to watch on TV. When there is a rivlary---eg. Annika vs. Lorena, that does create some interest. But guys want ACTION when they watch sports, and golf is too casual, slow moving, etc. Sometimes, the camera guys show more shots from the blimp than they do from the golf course. So---------------what solutions do I have? Give me 24 hours, please; I am thinking and I am too tired to think right now.

Well, Tiger has a niece--Cheyenne, I think her name is--going to Wake Forest this fall. She's done really well in the juniors. We may all end up following NCAA golf for awhile.
WITB
Driver--PING Rhapsody, 16*
Fairway Wood--PING Rhapsody 22*
Hybrids--Cobra Bafflers, 3 (23*), 6 (32*)
Irons--Callaway X-20, 7-AW SW--Wilson ProstaffLW--Nancy LopezPutter--Bettinardi HawkBalls--Pinnacle Gold DistanceBags--Datrek IDS (cart), Sun Mountain 3.5 (carry)

Well, Tiger has a niece--Cheyenne, I think her name is--going to Wake Forest this fall. She's done really well in the juniors. We may all end up following NCAA golf for awhile.

You are right---Cheyenne has a great deal of potential---it must be "in the genes" and following the training and mental approach of her uncle.

Natalie, Paula, Erica Blasberg, Laura Diaz, Cristie Kerr, etc

suppose those are ok if you like that kind, i prefer some junk in trunk, Christina Kim, Laura Davies, etc

They will beat their swords into golf clubs and their spears into putters. Nation will not take up sword against nation, nor will they train for war anymore. Old Tom Morris 2:4

suppose those are ok if you like that kind, i prefer some junk in trunk, Christina Kim, Laura Davies, etc

To EACH, his own!

2. Golf is NOT an action sport that is easily hyped up.

Look at the World Series of Poker. Who would have thought you could make Texas Holdem into a dramatic event to watch. If ESPN can make poker exciting someone should be able to make golf exciting. I wish I had some answers.

In my bag:

Driver: R7 SuperQuad
Woods: RPM LP 3W & 5W
Irons: MX-25 4-SWPutter: Detour

Note: This thread is 5761 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!