IGNORED

What is the best golf lesson or tip you ever received?

Note: This thread is 2980 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

That's funny, I guess different advice works for different people.

I think this will help me a lot. I always thought you needed to swing nice and slow, and lately i've just been hitting the ball all over the place. I swing less than 50% (still hit 160-170 with 5 iron), but it's really inconsistent. Next time I go to the range I'm going to focus on accelerating through the ball and see how it works.

• Replies 150
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I agree with some and not with others.

When you swing too hard, the first thing that you are normally doing is after the backswing you jump at the ball. That is where the fast jerk at the ball to try and kill it. This is not a good thing. This is when my snap hook comes back with avengance. I pull left and have a 30 yard hook. Not very pretty and get you into trouble very quickly.

The "swing like a girl" comment is true and false. I have been to an LPGA event and they are awesome. They have some of the most fluid swings that I have ever seen. It is not about swing easy, but it more about swinging smooth. Smooth is all about coming back semi slow and getting set and accelerating through the ball. When I am swinging smoothly, I hit the ball really straight with about a 0-5 yard draw. It feels better than anything when I strike the ball. I also hit the ball much farther when hitting "smooth". When I jump at the ball, I hit the 8 iron about 150-160. That is good, but when I am smooth, I hit the 8 about 165 without feeling like I put any effort into the swing. You have to make sure to accelerate through the ball.

Joey R

In the Bag:

905T w/Aldila NV 75x 904F w/Dynamic Gold x100 MP-32 w/Project X 6.5 Vokey 52.08 BeCu 56 MP-R 60 Studio Stainless Newport 2 ProV1, ProV1x, or NXT Tour

I agree with some and not with others.

You are right about swinging smoothly. They asked Slammin' Sammy Snead once to use one word to describe his objective in swinging the golf club. His answer--"oily". And he had one of the most fluid swings in the History of Golf.

Mitch Pezdek------Dash Aficionado and Legend in My Own Mind

I think this will help me a lot. I always thought you needed to swing nice and slow, and lately i've just been hitting the ball all over the place. I swing less than 50% (still hit 160-170 with 5 iron), but it's really inconsistent. Next time I go to the range I'm going to focus on accelerating through the ball and see how it works.

Give it a try, but do not confuse this with swinging hard. That is not what I'm saying.

Smooth acceleration is the key. Do not rush the backswing and do not rush the transition at the top from backswing to downswing, let the club start to fall naturally. But when the clubhead starts to close in on the ball keep the acceleration going and hit the darn thing!! Club should actually be moving the fastest just after impact. If you find yourself unable to keep your balance and posture you are probably going at it too hard.

Give it a try, but do not confuse this with swinging hard. That is not what I'm saying.

Yep, I hear you man. Right now when I swing I get up to speed at about 30-45 degrees before I hit the ball, and then just coast and maintain speed, which throws everything off. I'm going to focus on keeping the swing smooth with a constant acceleration through the ball.

Yep, I hear you man. Right now when I swing I get up to speed at about 30-45 degrees before I hit the ball, and then just coast and maintain speed, which throws everything off. I'm going to focus on keeping the swing smooth with a constant acceleration through the ball.

You should see good results. I always tell my students to think a 1, 2, 3 count with the "2" at the top of the swing, and to accelerate SMOOTHLY from there. Good rhythm is a KEY component of swinging smoothly. I have written before that I have the Sypervision tape that shows Al Geiberger swinging various clubs with classical music in the background. The idea is to form an image of a smooth swing, and then "take it to the course".

This tip on alignment from Dean Reinmuth on the Golf Channel. #3, 4 and 5 specifically

http://www.thegolfchannel.com/core.a...arch&x;=35&y;=15
My Equipment:
Northwestern 3-, 5-, 7- and 9-wood;
Goldwin AVDP Irons (5-10 plus PW);
U.S. Golf 60 degree wedge;
See-More Putter; Bushnell Yardage Pro 1000 Rangefinder;Golflogix GPS.

You should see good results. I always tell my students to think a 1, 2, 3 count with the "2" at the top of the swing, and to accelerate SMOOTHLY from there. Good rhythm is a KEY component of swinging smoothly. I have written before that I have the Sypervision tape that shows Al Geiberger swinging various clubs with classical music in the background. The idea is to form an image of a smooth swing, and then "take it to the course".

I think this "1-2-3" count will help me. Just sitting in my office and thinking about it, makes me think and swing smoother.

I also agree that you should try to keep ur head down and as still as possible. Just this simple step helps me improve on everything else because I'm focused at whats in front of me....the ball.

Best tip, do what works for you , if this means going to a pro and getting 200 lessons, do it!. If this means hitting a thousand range balls a week, do it!.

Golf is a selfish game, ignore what everyone else thinks and do what is best for you , then you have a realistic chance to improve.

You heard it here first, JaY_B

In my Ping UCLAN Team Bag

Nike Sasqautch 9.5 - V2 Stiff
Cleveland HiBore 15 - V2 Stiff
Ben Hogan Apex FTX, 2 - PW - Dynamic Gold StiffNike SV Tour 52, 58 - Dynamic Golf StiffYes Golf Callie - 33 inchesBall - Srixon Z star X

For me, swing SMOOTH was much better advice. Swing smooth and accelerate through the ball. Changed my game completely.

Swinging smooth is something I attained from the best advise I ever got "keep the lower body quiet throughout the swing". For some reason it worked for me particularly with my iron strking. I have never been described as a smooth swinger UNTIL I started keeping my lower body quiet. Being 5'5 & 155 lbs, I'm a little above average w/ my iron distances (8 iron 147-155 yards) & I attribute this from being a smooth swinger and as a result better ball contact. Better ball contact @ moderate swing speeds for the most part will almost always result in straighter and longer shots. My 2 cents.

What’s in my bag:

Callaway FT-5 9 degree Aldila VS Proto 60 Stiff @ 44.5”
Tour Edge Exotics XCG 4 wood 16.5 degree
Tour Edge Exotics XCG 3 iron Hybrid 18 degree
Ben Hogan FTX 4-PW Apex Steel Regular Shaft
Wedges: Taylormade RAC 50*; Callaway X Tour 54*; Ben Hogan Forged Wedge 60*
Rife 2 bar hybrid
Taylormade TP Black & Red

For me, swing SMOOTH was much better advice. Swing smooth and accelerate through the ball. Changed my game completely.

Your post confirms what every good golf instructor knows and what the post before yours describes. Golf has certain standard fundamentals, BUT-------------everyone's swing is a bit different. When I teach my students, I emphasize that the downswing begins with the lower body, with the left heel (for a right hander), being slammed into the ground, and the legs and hips being the driving force. Then the upper body follows the lead of the lower, and the final release of the hands and wrists in the impact area is a natural, unforced action. This emphasis on the "lower body lead" produces a good weight shift back to the left side and insures that the club comes from the inside, and a fade or slice will not result. The end result is a good shot, evidenced by a well-balanced follow through. I tell my students, watch------------then, I hit a ball, hold my follow through, and keep on talking for a few minutes, and never end my follow through position. You say that keeping your lower body quiet, works!!! Great!! Then that tip is perfect for you. A good student AND a good instructor realize that we are all different, and we have to "find our own way".

'The greens that way'

Lol thats the advice my buddy gave me the other day when i pulled a tee shot into a tree and it flew back over my head haha. Bad shot but it was so hilarious i couldnt be mad at myself

Whats in my bag:

Burner HT 13* Reax Regular Shaft
R7 19* Reax Regular Shaft
AP1's 4-PW Project X 5.5 Shafts Vokey Spin Milled 60.08 56.10 Rossa Siena 4 Pro V1"Gold jacket, green jacket, who gives a s**t"

My best golf advice is forget swing thoughts and concentrate on the target. I hear so many people on the range getting lessons and tips from pros, semi-pros, buddies, whoever. It's usually just an endless spewing of mechanics and geometry that would drive Einstein mad.

Second best advice, never take advice from someone who can't beat you 10 times out of 10.

In Ben Hogans, Power Golf, it talks about grip adjustment to promote hooks or slices. I was hitting pull hooks, now I'm hitting fades, and baby slices. Way easier then a hook.

In the bag:
Driver: r7 quad v2 stiff
3-Wood: XLS
Hybrid: X
Irons: CG Golds 3-GWSW: x forged 56/13LW: Vokey sm 60/.08Putter: Callie 35''Ball: pro v1

Never be afraid to hit a bad shot.

In the bag:

Driver: R580 9.5* Stiff
3 Wood: SQ Sumo 2 15* Stiff
Irons 4-PW/AW/SW: Big Bertha 2008 SteelPutter: 2-BallBalls: Pro-V1

Note: This thread is 2980 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!