IGNORED

Dress Codes: Good or Bad for the Game?

NM Golf
Note: This thread is 1392 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

Dress Codes  

146 members have voted

1. 1. Dress Codes: Good or Bad for the Game

• Good for the game
    • Bad for the game

I'm pretty sure (100% certain) the original question wasn't asking wether dress codes would help or hinder any particular golfers game. It was more of a philisophical are dress codes "good for the

There sure a lot of posts that claim if you dress "nice" you play better. I'd venture to say (though I may be wrong, if so I apologize) that the OP has said this at some point in the thread. Even if not, a LOT of people have.

Edit: I have actually gone thru the first 10 pages and he did not say anything of the sort. I assume now that he did not at any time in this thread. Sorry NM.
My Equipment:
Northwestern 3-, 5-, 7- and 9-wood;
Goldwin AVDP Irons (5-10 plus PW);
U.S. Golf 60 degree wedge;
See-More Putter; Bushnell Yardage Pro 1000 Rangefinder;Golflogix GPS.

Without getting into it too much, I think dress codes are good for the game. Pros look more professional wearing pants, and so do some club golfers.

Here is an person most of you agree with all of the time.

He doesn't think all courses should have dress codes. I actually agree 100% with it. So let's hear why he is wrong. Come on people.
My Equipment:
Northwestern 3-, 5-, 7- and 9-wood;
Goldwin AVDP Irons (5-10 plus PW);
U.S. Golf 60 degree wedge;
See-More Putter; Bushnell Yardage Pro 1000 Rangefinder;Golflogix GPS.

I don't inspire to be a professional golfer and I have no problem putting on a golf shirt and a pair of shorts that don't look like a bathing suit to play a game for 4 hours. It's not a "since the pros have to do it so does everyone else" thing...it's part of the history of the game.

I guess I just don't see the big deal. It's not like they are asking you to wear a funny looking hat with a pom-pom on the top with knickers like they use too. All they are asking is that you wear a collared shirt, which happen to be far more comfortable now then they use to be and a pair of shorts/pants that aren't crappy looking. You could probably even get away with a pair of wind pants on most days if you really wanted to. Some places don't even require you to necessarily keep your shirt tucked in. I feel as though the people who say they aren't comfortable in a collard shirt haven't bothered trying and just can't be bothered.

My point about baseball and football is that even outside of professional sports they still have requirements. If you play with a community baseball team or football team they require you to wear some sort of uniform. What if I don't feel comfortable wearing baseball pants and a jersey do I have a right after I have paid my registration fee to say that I am not wearing that because I am not comfortable in it....I don't think so, unless something has changed.

|Callaway I-MIX FT-9  - Driver | Callaway Diablo Octane - 3 Wood | Callaway Diablo Edge Tour [3H & 4H] - Hybrids | Callaway X-forged 2009 - Irons | Callaway JAWS [52, 56, 60] - Wedges | SC Studio Style Newport 2 / Laguna 1.5 / Kombi-S - Putter |

I completely understand that some people are comfortable in the polo shirt. Heck, I have a few company golf polo shirts(adidas) that we give to accounts. They are comfortable and I do wear them. My issue is with the mandating of it at the municipal/public level. Semi-Private and Private courses are different in my mind. People pay dues to expect a higher level of class. The Muni, where it's $25 a round, I could care less.

Also, organized sports, whether on the local level or higher are different then the weekend duffer who likes to go out and spend 4hours outside relaxing while playing a round of golf. I don't know about where you are located, but here the local adult slow pitch soft ball leagues, you'll find guys in shorts and a tee shirt with their team logo on it playing ball. Sure they have a uniform, however it has very little to do with the history of the game and more to do with knowing who is on who's team. I won't argue that people can find comfortable "nice" clothing. I will argue that people should not be forced to wear the comfortable "nice" clothing that you want them to. I've seen people out on the course in nice jeans, and a button up shirt. However many on here look at denim as the devil. My question is who cares and why. It doesn't affect my play and as long as he's having fun, great!

Josh

Or maybe we're just short of hillbillies here out west.

Not all of us are hilbillies in the west but if the shoe fits.....

Umm spent several years in Denver and live a mere 6 hours from there now. My brother lives there. Even though dress is relaxed somewhat out here people still know how to dress. Well most people.
Plain and simple, "is dressing up good for the game"? Sure, how can it not be? How would one construe wearing decent clothes negative for the game? Nothing wrong in taking pride in the way you present yourself.

Very nice, well said.

I can assure you that no kid of MINE would show up at the course (or anyplace else) looking like he just left a rap concert."

"So you have your standards for dress at the course as well, they just aren't the same as what some other people have supported.

Wow, hypocrite much. Very good point Fat Slice. So there is a dress code, but fourputt just wants to dictate it.

My standards simply involve being neat and presentable. I've stated that more than once in this thread. I'm not a proponent of any specific uniform.

Uniform? Umm I fail to see a uniform. There are many modes of dress available to someone not wanting to look crappy on a golf course. No one said uniform.

Honestly? No, when I dress like that, I feel awkward. If *you* feel confident wearing "golf attire," then great -- I welcome you to dress to play your best. I am most confident when I wear something that *I* am personally comfortable in. And that's the reason I argue against specific dress codes. It's great for you if you happen to be comfortable with that dress, but as is clear, not everyone falls into that category.

So you are uncomfortable in a polo and shorts? What exactly do you wear most of the time? And have you ever gotten dressed up in your life?

The only thing that matters to me is treating others with the proper respect as people and flowing proper golf etiquette. I dont care less if there is some guy out there wearing plus fours and a bowtie, if he doesnt follow etiquette he is going to piss me off more than a guy wearing cargo shorts and a tank top. But thats just me.

So you hold people dressed correctly to a higher standard? That in itself is an arguement for a dress code. If you hold others to a higher standard due to dress would you also not hold yourself to a higher standard?

I just think it would be funny to see Tiger wearing a MJ jersey with a pair of Nike shorts and some golf style sandals.

I realize you are joking but it comes down to that point exactly, it wouldn't happen even if Tiger was just some 10 handicapper on a local muni, his father taught him a love and respect for the game that he shows though dressing correctly. He is a classy guy.

There sure a lot of posts that claim if you dress "nice" you play better. I'd venture to say (though I may be wrong, if so I apologize) that the OP has said this at some point in the thread. Even if not, a LOT of people have.

Umm no I didn't, but I will say this. With the amount of technology going into making moisture wicking high tech fabrics and lightweight cold weather fabrics made especially for golf I can't help thinking you might play better. I mean really my golf shirts are more comfortable to play golf in than a tee shirt would be. They are made to play golf in. Heavy denim and heavy cotton t-shirts are hot. And lest we forget, look like

Danny    In my :ping: Hoofer Tour golf bag on my :clicgear: 8.0 Cart

Driver:   :pxg: 0311 Gen 5  X-Stiff.                        Irons:  :callaway: 4-PW APEX TCB Irons 
3 Wood: :callaway: Mavrik SZ Rogue X-Stiff                            Nippon Pro Modus 130 X-Stiff
3 Hybrid: :callaway: Mavrik Pro KBS Tour Proto X   Wedges: :vokey:  50°, 54°, 60° 
Putter: :odyssey:  2-Ball Ten Arm Lock        Ball: :titleist: ProV 1

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

seriously, i said this earlier, but will say it again.

OPINIONS ARE OPINIONS.

you can't start a thread asking for people's opinions and get flustered when they express it

driver- R580XD 9.5*
3 wood- m/speed
hybrid- cft ti 4h
irons- fp 4-gap
wedges- 54* and RAC satin 56* 12 bounceputter- 1/2 Craz-Eballs- DT Carry, e5, anything found thats is good shapeshoes-adidashome course - nothing - uh oh. perhaps pleasant view againschool...

seriously, i said this earlier, but will say it again.

Not flustered, merely backing up my opinion. Its a forum, in case you didn't notice, on occasion people don't see eye to eye. Would you rather we all sit around holding hands singing Kum Ba Yah. I asked for opinions, never did I say I would agree with them.

Danny    In my :ping: Hoofer Tour golf bag on my :clicgear: 8.0 Cart

Driver:   :pxg: 0311 Gen 5  X-Stiff.                        Irons:  :callaway: 4-PW APEX TCB Irons 
3 Wood: :callaway: Mavrik SZ Rogue X-Stiff                            Nippon Pro Modus 130 X-Stiff
3 Hybrid: :callaway: Mavrik Pro KBS Tour Proto X   Wedges: :vokey:  50°, 54°, 60° 
Putter: :odyssey:  2-Ball Ten Arm Lock        Ball: :titleist: ProV 1

Not all of us are hilbillies in the west but if the shoe fits.....

You're pretty damn good at picking out little bits and pieces that make your case. My only contention has EVER been that

IMO clothing does nothing to improve the game. PERIOD!!! Any course is entitled to set any standard they wish, and if I think that it's a bit stiff, then that too is just IMO . I'll still follow their code when I play there. 90% of the time I too wear what YOU consider "proper" apparel (even when I don't have to), the other 10% is like right now, winter with dry and dusty or wet and sloppy conditions, it's cool and usually windy, and I wear jeans because they happen to be the most appropriate thing I have for those conditions. I'm not going to buy some special leggings just so I can be comfortable in cold weather when I already have pants that are warm, comfortable, and most importantly are accepted at any course that I wear them to this time of year. If they weren't acceptable I wouldn't wear them, or I would play a different course. Got it now??? I don' t give a rat's ass what you wear or what you think I should wear. All I care is that I wear what is acceptable for the course I happen to play on any given day. But it has absolutely no impact on my game, on the game of golf in general, or on world politics. And here's your back.

Rick

"He who has the fastest cart will never have a bad lie."

So you are uncomfortable in a polo and shorts? What exactly do you wear most of the time? And have you ever gotten dressed up in your life?

Umm... jeans and t-shirts? I'd have thought it's pretty obvious.

Yes, I get dressed up on occasions that I feel warrant it. I don't consider going out to play a sport for recreation to be an event that requires more than reasonably neat, comfortable clothes. And don't bother saying that collared shirts are comfortable again-- no matter how many times you (or anyone else) repeats it, it's not going to change what's comfortable for me.

In the bag:
FT-iQ 10° driver, FT 21° neutral 3H
T-Zoid Forged 15° 3W, MX-23 4-PW
Harmonized 52° GW, Tom Watson 56° SW, X-Forged Vintage 60° LW
White Hot XG #1 Putter, 33"

First off I will say I have no objection to dressing up. If I am playing my local course I will wear whatever I'm wearing at the time, assuming it's not black(hot) or offensive. I have played at this course for 10 years and jeans and a t-shirt is perfectly acceptable and that's what 80% of people wear. If I am going to a fancier course(which isn't very often) I will wear a polo shirt but will not put on dress jeans unless they are required. I do not prefer to play golf in them.

I don't understand what everyone has against wearing jeans? As long as they are not stained/ripped/baggy, etc. I don't see what the big deal is? Just because back in the day jeans were "dirty clothes" does not mean that's how they should be treated today. Many people wear jeans as their every day clothing(and keep them clean). Maybe it's because I'm from the midwest? Dress pants are not what you wear here unless you work in a professional office, going to church, etc.

I repair my divots(and three others), am respectful to others, play safe, according to the rules, everything. Yet some of you are quick to pass judgement.

- Joel

TM M3 10.5 | TM M3 17 | Adams A12 3-4 hybrid | Mizuno JPX 919 Tour 5-PW

Vokey 50/54/60 | Odyssey Stroke Lab 7s | Bridgestone Tour B XS

Home Courses - Willow Run & Bakker Crossing

I did not vote because it is both good and bad for the game.

On one hand some courses do not allow jeans or a shirt with out a collar, but here in Texas that is pretty stupid for a muni. On the other hand we need some guidelines to distinguish the golf course from the local park.

My swing thoughts:

- Negative thinking hurts more than negative swinging.
- I let my swing balance me.
- Full extension back and through to the target. - I swing under not around my body. - My club must not twist in my swing. - Keep a soft left knee

Count me in as favoring the dress code.

Even those of us dressed appropriately don't look nearly as good as those guys in the sepia photographs.

Plus fours, argyles, neckties--they really looked like spiffy linksters, didn't they.

• 2 months later...
Bad for the game. Dress codes make golf look an exclusive snobby rich white man's sport. The dress code for most courses is decidedly "relaxed corporate America". It is a big reason why I always scoffed "Me play golf? Pssssh, not a chance in hell." Fact is, golf does not need to be expensive or exclusive (though it is at some courses and that is OKAY). But the impression that I (any many other non-golfers) get about the game is it is a snobs game for elitist and exclusive snobs that don't want Joe Average Golfer playing on their course. I see jeans on a course and I think "this is a course I want to play on!" even though I never wear jeans myself as they are uncomfortable.

Golf is declining as an activity and needs new blood. I think relaxing dress code standards would go a long way to opening up the activity to new people who might other wise have had the same views I had before starting to play. I still look down on that snobby exclusive crap in the golf business. It is not what the game is about, IMO. Now more than ever, golf can decidely not be an exclusive rich person's game. I think dress codes try to keep it the way it used to be.

All that said, I think private clubs can and should set the dress code for what the paying members want to see out on the course. Non-private clubs though, I don't like to see dress codes at public courses.

Add me to the list of those in favor of dress codes.

Driver: HiBore
Fairway Woods: Prostaff FS #3 Great Big Bertha II #7
Irons: Staff Di7 Irons 4-GW
Wedges: CG10 54* CG12 60*
Putter: Black MaxBall: Trispeed

I don't have a problem with a dress code, at least to a degree. I'm not sure I want to see some 350 lb truck driver in a pair of daisy dukes and no shirt on the course, but to require specific shorts, collared shirt, golf shoes is a bit much. I'm the first to admit, on a very hot and humid day, there are times I would prefer to play in a tee shirt and not a collared shirt. If people want to play in cargo shorts or jeans, so be it, not my style but as long as they have something on (see Henrik Stenson)......

Craig 

Yeah, wanna make 14 dollars the hard way?

Bad for the game. Dress codes make golf look an exclusive snobby rich white man's sport. The dress code for most courses is decidedly "relaxed corporate America". It is a big reason why I always scoffed "Me play golf? Pssssh, not a chance in hell." Fact is, golf does not need to be expensive or exclusive (though it is at some courses and that is OKAY). But the impression that I (any many other non-golfers) get about the game is it is a snobs game for elitist and exclusive snobs that don't want Joe Average Golfer playing on their course. I see jeans on a course and I think "this is a course I want to play on!" even though I never wear jeans myself as they are uncomfortable.

I agree golf needs to come into the 20th century with its dress code. Tiger Woods would be violation the dress code (and thus unable to play) at 95% of the golf courses in this picture.

Instight XTD A30S Driver 10.5° ($69 new ebay)
Instight XTD A3OS Fairway Wood 15° ($45 new ebay)
Fybrid 19.5° ($35 new ebay)
Ci7 4-GW ($175 new Rock Bottom Golf via ebay)
53° & 58° 8620 DD wedges ($75 each new PGA Superstore) C2-DF ($35 new Rock Bottom Golf) Riley TT stand bag ($7 n...

I wear Cargo Shorts and either a T-Shirt or a Wal Mart "Polo" and golf shoes. It gets fraking hot in South Texas and the Humidity makes you wish you had gills. In my opinion dress codes should just not allow offensive/revealing clothing (guys/girls) but everything else should be allowed.

I like them. It's really not too much to ask that somewhere wear khakis and a collared shirt, is it? It's not like they stuff you into a Catholic school uniform or anything. Without dress codes, what people wear on the course would degenerate to the lowest common denominator. Look around you, and see what kind of jackass wear is popular; now put that on the course at St. Andrews and tell me how great you think it would be.

In my C-130 Cart Bag:

Driver: Titleist D2 10.5° Aldila R.I.P. 60
Woods Exotics CB4 15° Aldila R.I.P. 70
Hybrids Exotics CB4 17°, 22° Aldila R.I.P. 80 

Irons 4-PW MP-57 Project X 6.0, MP-29 PW

Wedges  Eidolon 52°, 60° Rifle Spinner 6.5

Putter Bettinardi BB12

Ball One Black

Rangefinder Nikon Laser 500"Golf...

Note: This thread is 1392 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!