IGNORED

If you only had $60 to spend on golf a month...

Soup Fan
Note:Β This thread is 5759 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic.Β Thank you!

In the Cleveland area we have fantastic Metroparks courses. (Well great for people at my level of golf). They have a very nice par 3 that costs $8 for nine holes, or $5 after 6:30pm (great for practice of anything but the woods).

Then They offer an $8 rate after 6 or 7 (twilight rate). It seems that after 6:45 I can go out on the regularly crowded course and there is nobody ahead or behind me so play is fast and relaxing. Also, for every $100 you spend you get $20 discount.

So if you look for good parks courses with nice evening rates you can play quite a bit. Other tips from a tightwad like me.
*Resist the urge to buy new stuff
*Use Broken tees you find at the tee boxes. I rarely buy tees anymore
*Don't be too picky with golfballs. I use used/lost balls I find on the course or that I buy supercheap locally.

G10 9* Stiff Shaft Driver
R7 Draw 3 Wood
Burner 3 hybrid
26* Baffler Hybrid 5H Stiff Shaft.
Rapture 6-SW (3-5 are retired in favor of hybrids) Vokey Spin Milled 60* Wedge Newport 2 Pinseeker 1600 + ViewTI GPS software for iPhone

WHOA

I didn't mean any disrespect or to be judgmental, I'm just saying be wise with the money.

you might take things likely, but the sad truth is that it is a lot worst.

if you have a tight budget like that, im just saying that golf is no longer a priority. Lets think about this, your only car breaks down and you just spent 60 on golf on a very tight budget. you have no emergency fund. you use a credit card that you can barely pay the minimum payment for. now your getting tons of phone calls and your scared to pick up the phone because its the collectors. then you file for bankruptcy. then your house goes on foreclosure. now you, wife, kids, and golf clubs are in the streets. 60 saved every month for a rainy day really adds up. in a year you would have saved $720. So if something does arise then your ready, your set. sorry guys but i think that is far more important then golf.
basketball is great sport buy a basketball $10-30 lasts a few years, you already have shoes that's free, basketball rim in the park that's free. 3 years of basketball = 10-30 dollars. great exercise. golf is a very expensive sport, that is why its originally known as a game for the rich.

priorities has to be set, and golf comes last

Driver: :tmade: 2017 M1 9.5° / 3-wood: :tmade: AeroBurner 13.5° / Irons: :mizuno:  MP-69 (3-PW) / Wedges: :titleist: SM6 Vokey 50°, 54°, 58° / Putter: :titleist: Scotty Cameron Newport with SuperStroke 3.0 slim, 50g counterweight / Balls: :bridgestone:  Tour B330-S

NLC Cup 2017 Champion / Grand Master's Cup 2017 Champion /Β TDR Cup 2017 Champion / DTG Celebration Cup 2017 Champion

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

Instead of the range, buy a shag bag & head to a local park/athletic fields...somewhere with some open space that's open to the public. Beats the heck out of $5 for a bucket of balls & you get some excercise picking them up to boot.

As for the rest...just like everyone else, play as much as you can as cheap as you can.

What's in my bag:
Driver: 905R 10.5* Stiff
Fairway wood: 904F 19* Stiff
3-PW: AP2 1* flat with Project X 6.0 shafts
GW: 52*SW: Vokey 56* LW: Vokey 60*Putter: Tri-ballBall: ProV1 (preferred) or PD Super Soft (when I'm feeling cheap)

WHOA

My goodness, you didn't just put the cart in front of the horse, you threw it so far out there no one can see it!! I'm assuming Soup is an adult with a brain. If you're not his accountant then I'd think it would be a really good idea to keep your financial advise to yourself. Let me be clear....he asked what he could do to cut costs in order to keep playing. Why is that so hard for you to understand? Soup I wish you luck. We've all been there and done that.

~disclaimer~ I'm just a golf mom.

Hit the range more often than you hit the courses. The swing is the thing for the purest golfer - this way you get to stay in form, at least until there is a little more capital in your account.

"Every man is his own hell" - H.L. Mencken

wow you people are unbelieveable

Driver: :tmade: 2017 M1 9.5° / 3-wood: :tmade: AeroBurner 13.5° / Irons: :mizuno:  MP-69 (3-PW) / Wedges: :titleist: SM6 Vokey 50°, 54°, 58° / Putter: :titleist: Scotty Cameron Newport with SuperStroke 3.0 slim, 50g counterweight / Balls: :bridgestone:  Tour B330-S

NLC Cup 2017 Champion / Grand Master's Cup 2017 Champion /Β TDR Cup 2017 Champion / DTG Celebration Cup 2017 Champion

Instead of the range, buy a shag bag & head to a local park/athletic fields...somewhere with some open space that's open to the public. Beats the heck out of $5 for a bucket of balls & you get some excercise picking them up to boot.

the only problem with that que is that you have to watchout for familys walking through the park or they will get a small white suprise.

(oh and that was not supposed to have sexual undertones is just sort of happened)

Rick... i think you did a good job of NOT answering the question, and instead you hopped on the JUDGEMENT train.

Dito. If he's resposible enough to create a budget, he's definately responsible enough to TCB first. I'd definately play cheaper courses, look for all day specials, walk if I could, hit a ton of short game shots in my back yard if I had one. I'd also live on the practice green and really hone my putting skills for free. At my local Muni there are part time workers who put in a couple half days a week as a 2cd job and they get their golf and range balls for free. Factor in gas, try to play while you are near the course anyway. Go into study mode, there are a lot of great online golf resources. Maybe spend some time studying stratedgy, history, etc. If times are tight, and they are now for most people, the stress relief of a day on the course may be just what the doctor ordered.

Rick I am not quite sure how much more simple I can make it, so I will resort to the good old internet standby of emboldened caps lock.

I AM NOT SHIRKING MY FINANCIAL OR FATHERLY RESPONSIBILITIES FOR GOLF. THE MONEY I HAVE FOR GOLF IS AFTER ALL OF MY BILLS ARE PAID AND GROCERIES ARE PURCHASED AND AFTER WE HAVE ADDED TO OUR SAVINGS ACCOUNT.

I didn't post here asking for someone to restructure my financial well being or to explain to me how to take care of my family, rather, I simply asked people what the best way to stretch my golfing dollar is. When we are financially destitute and and I have pissed away all of our budget on greens fees like you seem to think I am doing, then you can climb up on your high horse and reeducate me on what it means to be a husband and a Dad. Until then I will keep piling up these grains of salt that come along with your thoughts.

Blog Internetz | Twitter | Rolling Knolls
----
Super LoCo 457cc 10*
Tight Lies 16* & 13*
Recovery 21* Pure Distance 4-PW Diadic 52* and raw 588 60* Anser 4 blade U-Tri Tour

wow you people are unbelieveable

rick apperantly you are the one with negative rep?

of course i have the negative feedback, you take what i said out of context and think its offensive.

im giving you the harsh realities of life here. of course im going to get negative feedback when everyone gangs up on me. thats not right. and that makes you no better then me. i say it out in the open, you all hide behind giving me a negative reputation. COWARDS!!!!!!!

I play as much cheap golf as I can. I spend $5 to walk 9 holes. The course is awful and the greens are even worse, but it is golf. I would like to play more, but having a baby does not allow me to. I spend most of my 'practice time' in the yard chipping balls or in the living room putting. Aside from some recent equipment purchases, I spend less than $20 a month at the golf course. If I had more time to play I could probably really get my handicap down.

Driver: MP-600 9.5 w/ Fujikura E360 Stiff Shaft
4 Wood: F-60 16.5 w/ Exsar FS3 Stiff Shaft
Irons:MP-57 3-PW w/ Dynamic Gold S300 Shafts
Wedges: MP-R Black-Ni 52, 56, & 60
Putter: Studio Select Newport 2Ball: ProV1/ProV1xGrips: Winn Xi7

of course i have the negative feedback, you take what i said out of context and think its offensive.

You are way off base here. What you said was not only offensive and condescending, but it was also off topic. Maybe you don't see it but it was and you paid for it with your reputation. Get over it and move on before tougher penalties are given to you.

DannyΒ  Β  In my :ping:Β Hoofer Tour golf bag on myΒ :clicgear: 8.0 Cart

Driver:Β Β Β :pxg:Β 0311 Gen 5Β  X-Stiff.Β  Β  Β  Β  Β  Β  Β  Β  Β  Β  Β  Β Β Irons:Β Β :callaway:Β 4-PW APEX TCB IronsΒ 
3Β Wood:Β :callaway:Β MavrikΒ SZ RogueΒ X-StiffΒ  Β  Β  Β  Β  Β  Β  Β  Β  Β  Β  Β  Β  Β  Nippon Pro Modus 130 X-Stiff
3 Hybrid: :callaway: Mavrik Pro KBS Tour Proto X   Wedges: :vokey:  50°, 54°, 60° 
Putter:Β :odyssey:Β Β 2-Ball Ten Arm LockΒ  Β  Β  Β Β Ball:Β :titleist: ProV 1

Β 

Β 

Β 

Β 

Unless I got a part time job at a golf club and was allowed to play and practice for free, I would have to give up golf if my monthly budget was $60. I couldn't do the game any justice. At least not the way I approach it.

S-

Driver: Nike DymoΒ² Str8-Fit 9.5Β° UST AXIV Core 69 Stiff
3 Wood: Nike SumoΒ² 3 Wood 15Β° Aldila VS Proto 65 Stiff
Hybrid: Cobra Baffler Pro 3/R 20Β° DGS300
Irons: Titleist AP2 3-PW PX 5.5 (+ 1/2" and 2Β° upright)
Wedge: Titleist Vokey Design 200 Series 52Β°/8Β° Wedge: Titleist Vokey...

Note:Β This thread is 5759 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic.Β Thank you!