IGNORED

Any one watching the Women's Amateur matches?

PEZGolf
Note: This thread is 5749 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

I think that it is informative and interesting to watch the Women's Amateur and the Men's. These players are good, but they do get into some tough spots, and it is interesting to see what they do to recover. As I have stated before, I like Dottie Pepper as an announcer, and she is teaming with Steve Melnyk for the Women's Am. Steve is just OK, but Dottie comes up with some interesting comments about a player's game, her course management, and her mental toughness.

Mitch Pezdek------Dash Aficionado and Legend in My Own Mind

I think that it is informative and interesting to watch the Women's Amateur and the Men's. These players are good, but they do get into some tough spots, and it is interesting to see what they do to recover. As I have stated before, I like Dottie Pepper as an announcer, and she is teaming with Steve Melnyk for the Women's Am. Steve is just OK, but Dottie comes up with some interesting comments about a player's game, her course management, and her mental toughness.

Has anyone taken a close look at Amanda Blumenherst's swing? First, she is a GREAT player, as her record at Duke and in Amateurs attests. Second, she brings the club inside, crosses the line at the top, and then brings it down on a good path. In other words, she has a little bit of a loop. What is important is that it repeats well, and she brings the club into a good postition at impact. This is a lesson for those seeking "the perfect swing". You can have you own idiosyncracies, and if your swing works, that is all is the key.

no, no, and no

Driver - SQ SUMO2 9.5 stiff
3 Wood - SQ SUMO2 15* stiff
Hybrid SQ SUMO2 20* stiff
Irons - CCi steel stiff
Wedge - 56*Wedge - Knight 60*Putter - ITraxBall - platinum+Black but soon to be switching to pr0v1 SG 2.5

Love watching the Women's Amateur. In addition to the fact that I like amateur golf and match play and women . . . I swear that the girls get prettier every year. There are some total knockouts in the field this year. And not "golf hot", just hot. I'm not sure why (no doubt that Title IX was part of the reason), but I suspect it has something to do with the fact that it is a sport where girls can still maintain a certain level of femininity. But who knows. Whatever the reason, I'm glad. It's good for golf and it's good for the girls.

PEZ, I noticed the same thing about Amanda Blumenherst's swing - crazy unconventional. It's all over the place. But man, can she pound the ball. The most telling statistic about how dominating she has been in her amateur career is that she has never finished out of the top 10.

I am a bit concerned about her weight though. She's never been petite but this year, she's really ballooned. That can't be good for her or her swing. And she could be a real looker if she got in shape. Like it or not, she would make a lot more sponsor money if she dropped the extra weight before she turns pro next year. (Not to mention the health issues and the benefits to career longevity.)

Love watching the Women's Amateur. In addition to the fact that I like amateur golf and match play and women . . . I swear that the girls get prettier every year. There are some total knockouts in the field this year. And not "golf hot", just hot. I'm not sure why (no doubt that Title IX was part of the reason), but I suspect it has something to do with the fact that it is a sport where girls can still maintain a certain level of femininity. But who knows. Whatever the reason, I'm glad. It's good for golf and it's good for the girls.

I agree with you on everything, including Amanda's weight. She needs to workout, watch her diet, etc. like Paula Creamer and Natalie Gulbis. Look what Cristie Kerr did---lost a ton of pounds and it has helped her golf game, and her appearance.

The one outstanding feature that I have noticed in Amanda's game (just like eveyone else) is that she is an OUTSTANDING PUTTER---one of the best that I have ever seen---male or female.

I just finished matching today's exciting semi-final match where Amanda had a tough time for a long while vs. Erynne Lee, the 15 year old. One thing that I noticed on her swings----it appeared to me that her swing with medium and short irons is much more orthodox than her driver swing, and her position at the top with the BIG STICK was pretty good as well. In the past,there have been players who did swing the club on a flatter plane with the driver than with the short irons, and I wonder if this is true of her.

I am looking forward to tomorrow's FINALS where Amanda will play the NCAA Champ, Azahara Munoz, an outstanding Spanaird.

• Administrator
I watched most of the action today because the PGA was rained out. I'd flip back during commercials to catch a little of the 2000 PGA or the latest updates, but it was a good afternoon to watch the gals. Have it set to record tomorrow, too.

Erik J. Barzeski —  I knock a ball. It goes in a gopher hole. 🏌🏼‍♂️
Director of Instruction Golf Evolution • Owner, The Sand Trap .com • AuthorLowest Score Wins
Golf Digest "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17 & "Best in State" 2017-20 • WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019 :edel: :true_linkswear:

Check Out: New Topics | TST Blog | Golf Terms | Instructional Content | Analyzr | LSW | Instructional Droplets

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

It is entertaining to see golfers at this level. They are good but not great yet. The Golf Chanel used to have a lot of juniors and a player named Creamer caught my eye when she was about 13. She wasn't great but you get a hint that someday she might be.

Taylormade Driver HT
Taylormade 3 HT

Mcgregor 7w
Vulcan irons 5-P
Solus 53 61

Vokey 56

Scotty Caneron Flange/ Ping Cushin

Srixon ZStar

71 gold tees

bring cash

I can't effin' believe this!

I've recorded the Women's Am on the VS/TGC HD channel and programmed in an extra hour, because that's what they have been broadcasting over every day since Wednesday, even though the onscreen guide said 2 hours. Except today, they cut coverage off exactly at the 2 hour mark - right in the middle of the Blumenherst/Lee match - so they can show the friggin' "Lucas Oil Motor Sports Hour" Taped boat racing!

WTF?!?!?!?

Who do I write about this type of thing?!?!? I take it that the dedicated TGC (SD) channel didn't cut away in the middle, did it?

• Administrator
Who do I write about this type of thing?!?!? I take it that the dedicated TGC (SD) channel didn't cut away in the middle, did it?

Nope. Fortunately I was watching so I switched over, but it's pretty lame when you have to share an HD channel.

Erik J. Barzeski —  I knock a ball. It goes in a gopher hole. 🏌🏼‍♂️
Director of Instruction Golf Evolution • Owner, The Sand Trap .com • AuthorLowest Score Wins
Golf Digest "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17 & "Best in State" 2017-20 • WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019 :edel: :true_linkswear:

Check Out: New Topics | TST Blog | Golf Terms | Instructional Content | Analyzr | LSW | Instructional Droplets

I didn't watch any on the TV, but I was following online the first few days. I was hoping one of the Bruins would be able to retain the trophy, despite last year's winner herself being unable to do so. And then an Anteater (my other alma mater) beat a few of them, which left me without knowing how to react.

-- Michael | My swing! 

"You think you're Jim Furyk. That's why your phone is never charged." - message from my mother

Driver:  Titleist 915D2.  4-wood:  Titleist 917F2.  Titleist TS2 19 degree hybrid.  Another hybrid in here too.  Irons 5-U, Ping G400.  Wedges negotiable (currently 54 degree Cleveland, 58 degree Titleist) Edel putter. 

I forgot that Irvine is/are the "Anteaters". That's a brilliant mascot nickname, but still not as good as the Santa Cruz "Banana Slugs" (btw, if you've never seen a banana slug in real life, they are freaky . Second only to the Geoduck in slimy bizarreness.)

But my favorite nickname for this year's Women's Am is the one for the 3 girls from Spain (Belen Mozo [USC], Azahara Munoz [ASU], and Carlota Ciganda [incoming freshman - ASU]) :

The "Spanish Armada." Those girls killed it this year.

Congratulations to Amanda Blumenherst, whose was behind after the first 18, 1 down, and was behind the front side of the second 18, but won 2 & 1!!!!!!!!!!!!

The Eugene Country Club is a good choice for the Amateur. The fairways are tree-lined, and the course rewards good shot-making. For fans, it is a scenic venue, and it has been fun watching the tournament.

I was suprised how far these young girls can bomb their drives!

Especially when some of them are 5'2" tall and weigh less than 105 lbs!!! And they do NOT "go after the ball". It is all in getting the right position during the backswing and then making a well-balanced release in the hitting zone. I enjoy watching them on TV or "up front and personal". It appears to me that more and more men are now starting to watch women's golf---for the same reason.

Note: This thread is 5749 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!