IGNORED

Bubba Watson

Maverick
Note: This thread is 4262 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

http://www.golfdigest.com/magazine/2009/08/bubbawatson

Pretty good article about Bubba. If Tiger likes his game that much, I'm sure he'll be winning very soon on tour. From this article, it looks like he needs to break through the mental part of the game before that will happen.

Driver: taylormade.gif Tour Burner 9.5*
4 Wood: taylormade.gif200 Steel 16*
Irons: taylormade.gif Burner '09
Wedges: taylormade.gif RAC TP Satin 54*, 58*
Putter: odyssey.gif White Hot Tour #9  Ball: bridgestone.gif B330

• 2 months later...
  • Replies 110
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I was watching the Bob Hope and I noticed that Bubba Watson has an open set-up. Why does he do that? Is it so he can get hips through better?
Driver- SuperTri 9.5*
Wood- 906 F2 13*
Hybrids- Rescue TP 17*
Irons(4-PW)- R9 TP w/ KBS Tour
Wedge-ZTP 52* w/ KBS Tour Wedge-58* VokeyPutter- Studio Select New Port 2 Mid-SlantBall-TP Black/Red

Bubba rarely chooses to hit straight shots. He always seems to prefer hitting big fades and draws, even with wedges. If you watch him for a while, I think you will notice him set up with an open stance to hit fades and set up with a closed stance to hit draws. It was funny yesterday to see Judy Rankin fooled by one of his wedge shots yesterday. As soon as he hit the ball, Judy said that "he won't be happy with that" because it started off to the left, but the ball drew back right to the pin (he's a lefty).

I have only seen him hit the ball with an open stance even if he was hitting a draw.
Driver- SuperTri 9.5*
Wood- 906 F2 13*
Hybrids- Rescue TP 17*
Wedge-ZTP 52* w/ KBS Tour Wedge-58* VokeyPutter- Studio Select New Port 2 Mid-SlantBall-TP Black/Red

Yeah, I noticed that too. Weird. I know almost every golfer plays a fade or draw as a perfectly straight shot is very difficult, but a strong fade or draw with an obvious open/closed stance? That is pretty unusual. I don't know how he controls that.

Driver: Burner 10.5 deg
5W: R7 18 deg
3H: Idea Tech
4-PW: MP-57
GW: Vokey 52 degSW: 56 degLW: 60 degPutter: Black Series 1 34"Ball: Pro V1

I'm trying to get excited about the Bob Hope but I'm afraid it's an uphill task. A shame - but one has to ask: what's the point of a 5-day pro-am? I fear the prime time of that sort of format may have been and gone - especially if no-one from the top 20 turns up for it.
But good luck and well done to whoever wins it. Hope it's Bubba - at least I've heard of him!

Bubba is a freak of nature. He has amazing eye-hand coorination and manipulates the club path to hit draws and fades from similar set up positions.

Here he hits a huge towering hook. His stance is a little closed, clubface open, swing path dramatically in to out.

HiBore XLS Tour 9.5*
Adams Fast10 15* 3W
A2OS 3H-7iron 60* LW
8iron Precept Tour Premium cb
9iron and 45* PW 50* GW 56* SW m565 and 455 VfoilPutter Anser Belly Putter Ball in order of preference TPblack e5 V2  AD333

Bubba is a freak of nature. He has amazing eye-hand coorination and manipulates the club path to hit draws and fades from similar set up positions.

I think you're exactly right. He has a home-grown swing (no lessons), and he has taught himself to manipulate the club path with his hands and arms and the way he releases the club. He's definitely a feel player, and it works great for him, but it's not a swing I would try to copy.

And I agree with EHSgolf1, his stance looks pretty open even with draws. I think his swing is grooved so that his swing path is a little bit inside his stance line. So for fades, he sets up way open; and for draws he sets up basically square and swings from an inside out path. Edit: To be more precise, I think he does a combination of opening or closing his stance and manipulating his club path with his arms, but I think he makes these adjustments from a stock swing path that is a little bit inside his stance line.
Scott T

G5 9° V2 75 X / 909F2 15.5° V2 85 X / 909H 19° V2 100 X / MP-33 #3-PW X100 / X-Forged Chrome 54.15 60.10 X100 / FGP Black 34" / Penta TP

Handicap is a guess because I haven't established one yet.Best score so far is a 71 on a 6,509 yard 70.3/121 par 72 muni, during a glorious...

I have been watching him too, he seems to be an emotionally disturbed person. I think he is going to explode! The interview with his wife was very disturbing, "I want him to know I will love him no matter what". EEE Gods. He may be a great striker but it looks like he does not have what it takes to be a pro. Maybe he should just hustle.
Cute wife though!

Current Bag
Ogio Synchro cart
'07 Burner Driver, 3 Fairway, and Rescue 5
Early Titelist Cavities
200 56, Spin milled 60 , Rossa  Suzuka

I have been watching him too, he seems to be an emotionally disturbed person. I think he is going to explode! The interview with his wife was very disturbing, "I want him to know I will love him no matter what". EEE Gods. He may be a great striker but it looks like he does not have what it takes to be a pro. Maybe he should just hustle.

Come on, give the guy a break! He's one of my favorite tour players. Sure, he probably has ADHD or something, but he seems like an upbeat and kind person. He makes Twitter videos for his fans, responds to message after message on Twitter from his fans, and he has a great Steve and Barry's golf clothing line for like $9 an item. He's living the dream: leading the PGA Tour in driving distance with tons of fans, and playing well enough to keep his card and get rich in the process. Sounds good to me!

Scott T

G5 9° V2 75 X / 909F2 15.5° V2 85 X / 909H 19° V2 100 X / MP-33 #3-PW X100 / X-Forged Chrome 54.15 60.10 X100 / FGP Black 34" / Penta TP

Handicap is a guess because I haven't established one yet.Best score so far is a 71 on a 6,509 yard 70.3/121 par 72 muni, during a glorious...

I have heard some tour players say that Bubba moves the ball more than anyone on tour. Move not only in distance but in shot making, plays more hooks, cuts, draws, fades, knock downs, etc than any other player.

|Callaway I-MIX FT-9  - Driver | Callaway Diablo Octane - 3 Wood | Callaway Diablo Edge Tour [3H & 4H] - Hybrids | Callaway X-forged 2009 - Irons | Callaway JAWS [52, 56, 60] - Wedges | SC Studio Style Newport 2 / Laguna 1.5 / Kombi-S - Putter |

Bubba grew up not very far from where I'm from, he played junior golf 6-7 years before me and I remember seeing him when I would go watch some of those tournaments. He used to wear knickers in all of his junior tournaments.

What's In My Bag
Driver: Laucher 460 8.5 w/AccuFlex Assassin X Shaft
3 Wood: PT 15 degree w/x100 Shaft
Irons: DCI 762 3-PW w/s300 shaft
Wedges: 52, 56, 60 Putter: Futura, B60 Belly Putter, DF Rossie 2Ball: Pro V1 X-The definition of insanity is doing the same things over and over,...

I hope to see him break through with a win this year!!!
909D Comp 9.5* (house MATRIX OZIK XCON-6)
Burner Superfast 3 & 5 woods (house MATRIX OZIK XCON-4.8)
G15 Hybrid 23* (AWT shaft)
G5 5 iron-PW-46*, UW-50*, SW-54 & LW-58 (AWT shaft)
Studio Select Newport 2 Mid SlantGrips: PING cords & Golf Pride New Decade Multi-Coumpound Bag: C-130...

i have been a fan of him for over a year now because he hits shots no one would ever dream up except him
DriverMonster Hi-Bore XLS/w Mintsubishi Diamana Fit-On M Gold Stiff 55g
Woods906F4 3 Wood/w Aldila VS Proto Fairway Stiff 80g
Hybrid3dx red 20 and 23 degree
Irons3dx red 5-pw
Wedgesharmonized sand wedge 56 degree loft and harmonize lob wedge 60 degree loftPutterWhite Hot XG SabertoothBallNoddle or ...

I enjoy watching him play golf. Like aca247 said "he hits shots no one would ever dream up except him" you have to respect that as a player and a fan. He is just very entertaining to watch play golf.
Driver- SuperTri 9.5*
Wood- 906 F2 13*
Hybrids- Rescue TP 17*

In my UnderArmour Links stand bag...

Driver: '07 Burner 9.5° (stiff graphite shaft)
Woods: SasQuatch 17° 4-Wood (stiff graphite shaft)
Hybrid: 4DX Ironwood 20° (stiff graphite shaft)Irons/Wedges: Apex Edge 3-PW, GW, SW (stiff shaft); Carnoustie 60° LWPutter: Rossa AGSI+ Corzina...

From all the times i watch Watson swing, i still cant find were he generates such massive acceleration. I guess he is just a freak of nature like utexas says.
THE WEAPONS CACHE..

Titleist 909 D2 9.5 Degree Driver| Titleist 906f4 13.5 degree 3-Wood | Titleist 909 17 & 21 degree hybrid | Titleist AP2 irons
Titleist Vokey Wedges - 52 & 58 | Scotty Cameron Studio Select Newport 2 Putter | ProV1 Ball

From all the times i watch Watson swing, i still cant find were he generates such massive acceleration. I guess he is just a freak of nature like utexas says.

Huge swing arc, huge shoulder turn, huge overswing, Massive lag.Oh, and good footwork too.He is a freak.

A great shot is when you go for it and pull it off. A smart shot is when you don't have the guts to try it. ~ Phil Mickelson.

Note: This thread is 4262 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!