IGNORED

Ben Curtis Press Conference

TigerCurtis333
Note: This thread is 5717 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

Per Ben's coach from Kent State, "Herb", I was able to sit in on Ben's Ryder Cup press conference today.

Notes -

Obviously, Ben's looking forward to the patriotism the Ryder cup brings and the team aspect.

He says he doesn't want to hit the first shot of the tournament, honestly, but would step up if need be.

And of course some other things, as always he was decked out in his Browns gear and sitting in his chair as comfortable as can be, fidgeting with his sunglasses on the table the whole time. Just a laid back, humble person.

Afterwards he went outside to hit some balls for the photographers and I was able to speak with him for a short bit, said he remembered me from my interview at the Bridgestone in 2007, and I asked about his clothing and how he feels about wearing Detroit and Pittsburgh stuff (He's an avid OSU/Browns fan).

"It all comes with the deal." I would have liked to talk more but had to run. He did mention that Payne Stewart started the tradition and while his wearing NFL gear isn't a tribute to Payne, he's happy to carry on the tradition.

I'm working with this personnel guy to be able to sit down with him some time.

All in all - great golfer, and an even better person. So personable, humble kind - just a nice human being.

In my bag:
Driver: 907D1 10.5*, Aldila Spec-Grid S67 reg
Woods: Looking for a wood. Titleist 906F4 or Nike CPR.
Utility: CPR 2-3 hybrids, 22*-26*Irons: 755 Forged 4-PW, Tri-Spec Steel RegWedges: Vokey 200 series 56.10 SW, 60.04 LWPutter: Tracy 33"Ball: DT CarryI mark my Titleist by...

I was lucky to be in Sandwich when Ben won at Royal St. George. What an Open that was. Nobody, nobody was expecting that. Those 5 birdies on the first 11 holes were awesome. He was lucky he got in the scorer's tent when he did. All the players that followed just couldn't do it. What a day.

I'm sure you had a great time. Let's trust the guys next week play up to their potential and win one for the Zinger!

I know the Europeans will be on their game.

iQuestGolfer
It's not about what's in your bag; it's about what you do with the clubs in your hand. Play iQuest Golf.
SQ 460 9.5*, ProForce V2, FlexS
3W Offset SZ, MR-SL60, FlexR
SlingShot 20*, hDiamana Mitsu Rayon, FlexSMaltby Recoil Irons, 4-PW, SW FlexR RAC Wedge Black TP, 60*, 12*bounce XG...

Ben Curtis is the kind of player who sneaks up on you. I wouldn't want to be the man on the Euro squad up against him on Sunday afternoon in Valhalla, that's for sure.

In my UnderArmour Links stand bag...

Driver: '07 Burner 9.5° (stiff graphite shaft)
Woods: SasQuatch 17° 4-Wood (stiff graphite shaft)
Hybrid: 4DX Ironwood 20° (stiff graphite shaft)Irons/Wedges: Apex Edge 3-PW, GW, SW (stiff shaft); Carnoustie 60° LWPutter: Rossa AGSI+ Corzina...

I haven’t been to Mill Creek Golf Course in Ostrander, Ohio since he won the Open. Do they have a lot of his memorabilia in the clubhouse now?

Driver: Ping K15 10°, Mitsubishi Diamana Blueboard 63g Stiff
Fairway 4-wood: TaylorMade RocketBallz Tour TP 17.5°, Matrix Ozik TP7HD S shaft

Hybrids: Callaway Diablo Edge 3H-4H, Aldila DVS Stiff
Irons: MIURA PP-9003, Dynamic Gold Superlite S300, Sand Wedge: Scratch 8620 56°
Putter: Nike Method Concept Belly 44"
Ball: Bridgestone Tour B330-S

He has a memorabilia showcase at the new Kent State Training Facility, MAN is that thing nice, it's like a pro range. He sat a desk right infront of that.

In my bag:
Utility: CPR 2-3 hybrids, 22*-26*Irons: 755 Forged 4-PW, Tri-Spec Steel RegWedges: Vokey 200 series 56.10 SW, 60.04 LWPutter: Tracy 33"Ball: DT CarryI mark my Titleist by...

Ben Curtis ?
I'm sorry, but this guy has got to be the least-interesting interviewee on the PGA Tour. I've yet to see him say anything that wasn't 100% cliche and he always delivers it in that complete monotone, 'I'd-rather-be-anywhere-but-here' voice.

He's the type of guy that be about as much fun to sit down and have a beer with as someone who doesn't actually drink.
I can see him running out of things to say after a couple of months of being bombarded by the press, especially after spending so many years being completed ignored by them. But now he's five years removed from his career-changing victory and he's still got nothing to say.
And he's still not even in the Top 30!?

Sorry, TigerCurtis333 - but 'Nice' Ben = 'Boring' Ben.
TaylorMade R9 460 9.5°
TaylorMade R9 13°
TaylorMade RAC TP MB 3-PW
TaylorMade RAC TP 54°.10 / 58°.10
Scotty Cameron Studio Select Newport 2

I haven’t been to Mill Creek Golf Course in Ostrander, Ohio since he won the Open. Do they have a lot of his memorabilia in the clubhouse now?

I go there pretty often and I don't recall seeing anything there. They have a whiteboard that they keep updates on when he's in a tourney (Ben Bulletin, they call it) but that's about it. There may be a picture or something, but no display case or anything like that.

Haha yeah Ben is pretty monotone in his interviews. When you get to talk with him one on one however, he's really approachable and is willing to talk for hours. I heard he was at the course for the photographers for nearly the entire afternoon talking with the KSU golf team and various reporters after I had left.

That's why the media tend to shy away from him, and why the golf channel labeled him "The Anti-media Darling" - and that's why he is like he is. I've had the privilege to see him outside of what ESPN will show you, and he'd love to talk to most people - but he'd like to do it with a steak or a 9 iron in his hand rather than a microphone and a camera.

In my bag:

Haha yeah Ben is pretty monotone in his interviews. When you get to talk with him one on one however, he's really approachable and is willing to talk for hours. I heard he was at the course for the photographers for nearly the entire afternoon talking with the KSU golf team and various reporters after I had left.

Don't get me wrong - he's a great player now he's revamped his swing and worked at his game a lot since 2003, but I guess I like golfers (or any sportsmen) to be a little more 'animated'!

However, having said what I did in my 1st post, it would be ironic if he was coupled with and beat Ian Poulter at the Ryder Cup next week!
TaylorMade R9 460 9.5°
TaylorMade R9 13°
TaylorMade RAC TP MB 3-PW
TaylorMade RAC TP 54°.10 / 58°.10
Scotty Cameron Studio Select Newport 2

Ben Curtis

It's a good thing the PGA isn't following the LPGA's idea of suspending players because they couldn't connect with fans at press conferences

Kidding of course - I'm sure he's a nice guy. Seems like the 'strong silent type'.

:P
In the bag Nike SasQuatch SuMo 10.5* {} Tiger Shark Hammerhead 3w, 5w, 3h {} Nickent 3DX Pro 5i-PW {} Titleist Vokey 250.08* {} Cleveland CG11. 54* {} Callaway X-Tour 58.11* {} Carbite Tour Classic Putter {} Titleist ProV1x

Note: This thread is 5717 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!