IGNORED

Sunday Pairings at the Ryder Cup

Chilli Dipper
Note: This thread is 5711 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

The United States' lead is two points going into tomorrow's decisive singles matches. The Americans have a bit of a cushion, but a European comeback is certainly within reason. The pairings for tomorrow are as follows:

Anthony Kim (USA) vs. Sergio Garcia (Europe)
Hunter Mahan (USA) vs. Paul Casey (Europe)
Justin Leonard (USA) vs. Robert Karlsson (Europe)
Phil Mickelson (USA) vs. Justin Rose (Europe)
Kenny Perry (USA) vs. Henrik Stenson (Europe)
Boo Weekley (USA) vs. Oliver Wilson (Europe)
J.B. Holmes (USA) vs. Soren Hansen (Europe)
Jim Furyk (USA) vs. Miguel Angel Jimenez (Europe)
Stewart Cink (USA) vs. Graeme McDowell (Europe)
Steve Stricker (USA) vs. Ian Poulter (Europe)
Ben Curtis (USA) vs. Lee Westwood (Europe)
Chad Campbell (USA) vs. Padraig Harrington (Europe)

Clearly, Azinger and Faldo are working two distinct approaches to tomorrow's session. Azinger is sending his best players out early, presumably hoping his team can dictate the tone of the day within the first two or three pairings. The U.S. only needs 5 1/2 points to win, while Europe needs 7 points to tie and retain the cup; Judging by Azinger's lineup, he feels the best strategy is to try to take the outcome out of doubt before the later pairings can be a factor. Faldo, on the other hand, has back-loaded his lineup, putting his two best performers of the competition thus far (Poulter and McDowell), his most experienced player (Westwood), and the player who has won two majors this year (Harrington) in the last four pairings. Since Europe is 2 points down, they can't retain the cup early; therefore, the matches at the end of the day will be critical, and Faldo has sorted his lineup to match that like of thinking.

In my UnderArmour Links stand bag...

Driver: '07 Burner 9.5° (stiff graphite shaft)
Woods: SasQuatch 17° 4-Wood (stiff graphite shaft)
Hybrid: 4DX Ironwood 20° (stiff graphite shaft)Irons/Wedges: Apex Edge 3-PW, GW, SW (stiff shaft); Carnoustie 60° LWPutter: Rossa AGSI+ Corzina...

Sergio Garcia vs. Anthony Kim is about as good as it gets to start things off tomorrow. Wow, that one will be electric. Stricker vs. Poulter is the other that jumps out at me because both have done a fair share of carrying their respective teams this week. That should be quality golf at its best.

This should be fun!

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

Kim/Garicia - Should be a great match, but I think Sergio's experience carries him. Besides, he's had a slow week so far; he's due. EUR: 1, USA: 0
Mahan/Casey - An early battle of captains' picks. Hunter's been really tough this week. EUR: 1, USA: 1
Leonard/Karlsson: Karlsson was hot on the back nine today, and Leonard has been a walking highlight reel this week. EUR: 1 1/2, USA 1 1/2
Mickelson/Rose: Both have played well this week, but Rose has been closing out matches where Phil has faded late. EUR: 2 1/2, USA 1 1/2
Perry/Stenson: Neither has really done anything spectacular this week. EUR: 3, USA 2
Weekley/Wilson: Boo, Crowd. Crowd, Boo. I'll leave you two to get to know each other. EUR 3, USA 3
Holmes/Hansen: Does anyone else feel like Boo has been carrying J.B.? EUR 4, USA 3
Furyk/Jimenez: Ryder Cup veterans should put on a good show. Both have played well this week. EUR 4 1/2, USA 3 1/2
Cink/McDowell: Graeme has been making clutch putts. EUR 5 1/2, USA 3 1/2
Stricker/Poulter: Another battle of captains' picks, both of whom have justified themselves very well, but I think Stricker's putter gives him the edge. EUR 5 1/2, USA 4 1/2
Curtis/Westwood: Curtis hasn't done much; maybe he's due. Wouldn't count on it. EUR 6 1/2, USA 4 1/2
Campbell/Harrington: Padraig has been off his double-major form, but I think he plays well enough for Europe to retain the cup. EUR 7, USA 5

Overall: EUR 14, USA 14; Europe retains the cup.

Brad Eisenhauer

In my bag:
Driver: Callaway Hyper X 10° | Fairway Wood: GigaGolf PowerMax GX920 3W (15°) | Hybrid: GigaGolf PowerMax GX920 3 (20°)
Irons: Mizuno MX-25 4-PW | Wedges: GigaGolf Tradition SGS Black 52°, 56°, 60° | Putter: GigaGolf CenterCut Classic SP3

Ball: Titleist ProV1x or Bridgestone B330S

Stewart Cink (USA) vs. Graeme McDowell (Europe)
Steve Stricker (USA) vs. Ian Poulter (Europe)
Ben Curtis (USA) vs. Lee Westwood (Europe)
Chad Campbell (USA) vs. Padraig Harrington (Europe)

My predictions for tomorrow.

Driver Ping G10 10.5*
Hybrids Ping G5 (3) 19* Bridgestone J36 (4) 22*
Irons Mizuno MP-57 5-PW
Wedges Srixon WG-504 52.08 Bridgestone WC Copper 56.13
Putter 33" Scotty Cameron Studio Select #2

Anthony Kim (USA)

Wow! Too many good matches to call individually. My final tally:

USA 15 1/2 EUROS 12 1/2
iQuestGolfer
It's not about what's in your bag; it's about what you do with the clubs in your hand. Play iQuest Golf.
SQ 460 9.5*, ProForce V2, FlexS
3W Offset SZ, MR-SL60, FlexR
SlingShot 20*, hDiamana Mitsu Rayon, FlexSMaltby Recoil Irons, 4-PW, SW FlexR RAC Wedge Black TP, 60*, 12*bounce XG...

• Administrator
As good as Sergio's team record is, his singles record is bad. Kim wins 3&2.

I have this one being close: 1up or so. I don't think Mahan can continue his strong play, but Casey hasn't exactly been on fire this week either.

Halved. Karlsson can't repeat his -6 on the back nine from today, but Leonard won't go away, either.

Despite Justin beating Phil earlier this year, I think Phil overcomes his "lefts" and somehow pulls this out, 3&2.

Kenny's kind of sucked this week when it's mattered. On 18 he first drowns a ball, then chunks a chip that barely gets on the green. So has Stenson (sucked a little), but less so when it's mattered. Stenson wins 4&3.

Boo has been playing good golf and, without four balls flying around, he'll be able to incite the crowd even more. 4&3 Boo.

One of these guys can putt, and one of these guys can keep it in play. It ain't J.B. this week. Soren wins easily, 4&3 or so.

I think Jimmy guts this one out and wins, 2up.

At this point that gives the U.S. the 5½ points they need to win. I think Europe could very easily win the rest of the matches: Cink has sucked, Poulter's been possessed by poltergeists (the kind that know how to putt, apparently), and Curtis and Campbell haven't been hitting it well all week.

Obviously tomorrow's a late start, so they could find the key and blister their opponents, but I think it's unlikely. Or the Euros might get down early and press, leading to mistakes that let the U.S. win a few extra holes with pars or something. We'll see. It should be close either way you slice it.

Erik J. Barzeski —  I knock a ball. It goes in a gopher hole. 🏌🏼‍♂️
Director of Instruction Golf Evolution • Owner, The Sand Trap .com • AuthorLowest Score Wins
Golf Digest "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17 & "Best in State" 2017-20 • WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019 :edel: :true_linkswear:

Check Out: New Topics | TST Blog | Golf Terms | Instructional Content | Analyzr | LSW | Instructional Droplets

It's time for my predictions.

Kim vs. Garcia: Sundays at the Ryder Cup rarely begin with two players of these men's caliber matched up against each other. This is possibly the highest-profile pairing since Azinger defeated Seve Ballesteros to lead off the U.S. comeback attempt at the Belfry in 1989. Both players got a break yesterday, and so one can imagine they will be a little fresher to start off than two players coming in with four rounds under their belt. There will be some outstanding golf played in this match, but I believe Anthony Kim will come out ahead...but just barely. USA, 1 Up
Mahan vs. Casey: One man has yet to lose this week; the other has yet to win. I can't go against Mahan based off of his performance, and I can't go with Casey for the same reason. All in all, a relatively easy point for the Americans. USA, 4&2
Leonard vs. Karlsson: Karlsson has been a birdie-making machine throughout the course of these matches, and his 0-1-2 record in doubles play in no way reflects his impact on the European squad. Leonard has yet to lose this week, but I think Karlsson scores the first point for the Continent on Sunday. Europe, 2&1
Mickelson vs. Rose: There are no two players more susceptible to a late-round letdown than the combatants in this match. Rose has been flying high alongside Ian Poulter for the first two days of this competition. Considering his reputation of dropping out of contention in pressure situations, Mickelson should be able to get out to an early lead even he can't squander. Nonetheless, he'll still find a way to do it. Halved
Perry vs. Stenson: Stenson came from behind twice on Saturday to capture a win and tie with his partner against a Mickelson-led American pair. Perry finally made his hometown crowd proud in his two matches alonside Furyk, but his well-noted dislike of playing 36 holes in one day gives me serious doubts about his readiness for Sunday's match. Stenson is a great match player, and I expect him to come out on top. Europe, 2 Up
Weekley vs. Wilson: Wilson has been nearly invisible this weekend, only appearing in one match on Saturday morning. Putting him against Weekley, whose ballstriking has been second to none and who has been attracting the largest, most partisan crowds at Valhalla, makes me think that Faldo has very low expectations both for his rookie and whomever goes against Boo. USA, 5&3
Holmes vs. Hansen: Lost amidst the pandemonium that is Boo Weekley is the fact that Holmes showed a marked improvement in form between Friday and Saturday. Anything can happen when Holmes is on the course, but this match should be a very close one, and I'm not brave enough to pick one player over another. Halved
Furyk vs. Jimenez: Furyk was very good on Saturday. Jimenez was riding on Graeme McDowell's back during most of their halve against Mahan and Leonard. If my predictions are accurate, Furyk will be sending Europe to the brink after this match. USA, 2 Up
Cink vs. McDowell: If it weren't for Poulter, McDowell would be Europe's MVP thus far. Cink looked terrible in the second round of foursomes. Europe needs McDowell to win this match, and I believe he will prevail. Europe, 2&1
Stricker vs. Poulter: This match will decide the Ryder Cup. Poulter is the player of the competition, and the only reason Stricker's record isn't as good as his opponent's is because he's been partnered with "Dead Weight" Curtis for two days. This is going to to the wire in a flurry of clutch putts and fist pumps. Stricker will make one more putt than Poulter, and that will be difference in the match and the competition. USA, 1 Up
Curtis vs. Westwood: Curtis hasn't been able to make a birdie to save his life this week, and Westwood's been in this position too many times to count. Westwood will win easily, but the victory will come too late to make a difference. Europe, 3&2
Campbell vs. Harrington: The possession of the cup will be determined before the end of this match, and who wins here isn't going to matter. Too bad, because these two should have a terrific battle behind the hullabaloo that will be surrounding the earlier pairings. Halved

My Prediction for the Final Results: United States defeats Europe, 15½-12½

Hybrid: 4DX Ironwood 20° (stiff graphite shaft)Irons/Wedges: Apex Edge 3-PW, GW, SW (stiff shaft); Carnoustie 60° LWPutter: Rossa AGSI+ Corzina...

• Administrator
Putting him against Weekley, whose ballstriking has been second to none and who has been attracting the largest, most partisan crowds at Valhalla, makes me think that Faldo has very low expectations both for his rookie and whomever goes against Boo.

That'd be well and good, except it was a blind draw, so neither captain knew the order of the opposing team's players. The matchups are literally blind luck, except each individual's place in the order.

Director of Instruction Golf Evolution • Owner, The Sand Trap .com • AuthorLowest Score Wins
Golf Digest "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17 & "Best in State" 2017-20 • WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019 :edel: :true_linkswear:

Check Out: New Topics | TST Blog | Golf Terms | Instructional Content | Analyzr | LSW | Instructional Droplets

Before seeing the actual pairings, this was my mock-up:

Garcia vs Leonard
Westwood vs. Holmes
Poulter vs. Mickleson
McDowell vs. Campbell
Rose vs. Mahan
Karlsson vs. Perry
Jimenez vs. Kim
Casey vs. Cink
Stenson vs. Weekley
Hansen vs. Curtis
Wilson vs. Stricker
Harrington vs. Furyk

Front-Loaded vs. Staggered
strength strength

What has actually happened is that the roles have switched from recent Ryder Cups. You have the EURO captain semi-staggering his line-up while the US Captain is frontloading. Nothing about this Ryder Cup has been predictable so far.

Azinger's put them in best position in a decade. The only quibble I have with Azinger is the anchor match. I would've had of the team's big 5 (Furyk, Mickleson, Mahan, Kim or Leonard) in the anchor spot.

Earlier in the week I predicted the EUROs would win 15 - 13. But with US reaching 9 in the team matches, I think the singles will be split 6-6. Final score: US 15 - EU 13.

However I feel the cup is going to come down to the final 2 matches and either Curtis or Campbell is going to have to eke out a half.

The line-up for the singles matches is the only place where I feel the President's Cup is superior to the Ryder Cup. At the President's Cup the captains alternate pitting players against each other as opposed to the blind draw. I like the blind draw for the team matches, because you get surprise match-ups that seem a mismatch on paper but turn out otherwise.

That'd be well and good, except it was a blind draw, so neither captain knew the order of the opposing team's players. The matchups are literally blind luck, except each individual's place in the order.

You're right, but Faldo was almost certainly aware that Azinger was planning to stack his most talented players and the ones with the greatest success over the last two days at the top of the order.

• Administrator
You're right, but Faldo was almost certainly aware that Azinger was planning to stack his most talented players and the ones with the greatest success over the last two days at the top of the order.

Maybe he could assume that (just as many other teams have back-loaded, or sprinkled), but even if he had he couldn't have guessed that Boo was going to be exactly #6.

The United States' lead is two points going into tomorrow's decisive singles matches. The Americans have a bit of a cushion, but a European comeback is certainly within reason. The pairings for tomorrow are as follows:

how are the pairings made for sunday? do the two captains get in a room together, and take turns picking who is going to play next? thank you! david

You are right, and I believe the Weekley vs. Wilson match will be very important for both Captains and both teams. If Boo wins, the crowd will get all fired up. He has shown good composure under pressure before in winning back to back at the Harbour Town Golf Links, but the Ryder Cup is a true test of performance in the pressure cooker. It will be interesting to see how that match goes.

Mitch Pezdek------Dash Aficionado and Legend in My Own Mind

• Administrator
how are the pairings made for sunday? do the two captains get in a room together, and take turns picking who is going to play next? thank you! david

They used to, but no, they don't now. Now they just submit their lineup, unknowing of what the other captain's done.

I see us barely getting enough to win the cup. Europe has a strong team though. They could pull it out.

Sub 70 849 9* driver

:callaway:  Rogue 3 & 5 woods, Rogue X 4 & 5 hybrids

:tmade: SIM 2 6-gap irons

:cobra:  King snakebite grove wedges 52 & 58*

:ping: Heppler ZB3 putter

For once, the opportunity for the Sunday singles to mean something. The weater is coolish for Kentucky, the wind at 5 - 6 mph. I wonder if the PGA is going to come up with some signficantly different pin postions today? The Ryder Cup website doesn't show that info like the Master's site does. Also, does anyone know what stimp the green is running at, whether it's 10 or 12?

• Administrator
http://thesandtrap.com/pga/2008_ryde...ches_live_blog

Live blog - follow along and comment.

Note: This thread is 5711 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!