IGNORED

Big Break X: Michigan

Golfgal
Note: This thread is 5579 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

The Duramed site has an interesting interview with Bri Vega today. Most of the questions deal with her Big Break experience and what she took from it. I thought one section was particularly amusing:

I saw that interview too. I thought her response was hysterical.

(btw, what kind of idiot does something like that to a player?) Bri also says that she has switched to the long putter. Oy-vey. (Not a fan of the long putter, which sucks, 'cause I'm a fan of Bri.)

• Replies 249
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I saw that interview too. I thought her response was hysterical.

Apparently it's not isolated idiocy. Several months ago in a similar article Kim Welch said a guy confronted her during a Duramed round, upset at the way she treated Christina Lecuyer during Big Break Ka'anapali.

Yeah, the long putter aspect surprised me. I'm not a fan of that either. BTW, the entry list is up for the Duramed qualifying tournament in early November in Florida. A whopping 312 players maximum, and it looks every bit of that, although I didn't count them. Best of luck to Charlotte Campbell. Many other familiar names, like Susan Choi, Amber Prange and Dana Bates. That one surprised me, Dana's entry. I know she has had a very good summer and early fall competing in various tournaments, but I assumed it was one last tune up for her appearance in the LPGA Q School finals in December. I didn't think she'd consider playing the Duramed tour next year. On the other hand, some names are absent, like Christina Lecuyer, Adrienne Gautreaux McDonald, Elizabeth Stuart and Tina Miller. None of them are already qualified via top 90 finish on the Duramed money list this year. I know Tina mentioned possibly playing in Europe. No Ashleys. And an indication of how fragile success can be. Violeta Retamoza is on the Duramed Q School list. She is currently an exempt player on the LPGA after finishing 4th on the 2007 Duramed money list, winning Rookie of the Year. But Violeta has had an awful season. She finally made her first cut last week at the Longs Drugs Challenge, but shot something like 20 over on the weekend to finish dead last among the players who made the cut. I guess she realizes she may need somewhere to play next season: http://www.duramedfuturestour.com/20...fierRoster.asp

Many other familiar names, like Susan Choi, Amber Prange and Dana Bates. That one surprised me, Dana's entry. I know she has had a very good summer and early fall competing in various tournaments, but I assumed it was one last tune up for her appearance in the LPGA Q School finals in December. I didn't think she'd consider playing the Duramed tour next year.

Like Dana Bates (BB9), Elizabeth Stuart (BB9) qualified for the final round of Q-School. [As did Bri Vega (BB6, BB7), Ashley Prange (BB5), and Andrea Vanderlende (BBX).]

However, I am surprised that Stuart isn't hedging her bet by entering in the DFT qualifier as well. She was pretty down after getting eliminated on BB9 - maybe she's decided that she's done if she can't qualify for the LPGA or DFT* during LPGA Q-School. I would hate to see that happen. She has a lovely swing. * I thought I remembered seeing a provision whereby a certain number of players who did not receive their LPGA Tour card at LPGA Q-School would be exempt for the DFT (i.e., top 40 get fully exempt or conditional LPGA Tour cards; 41 - ?? are exempt to the DFT) . But now I can't find that provision. Maybe I'm hallucinating.

Like Dana Bates (BB9), Elizabeth Stuart (BB9) qualified for the final round of Q-School. [As did Bri Vega (BB6, BB7), Ashley Prange (BB5), and Andrea Vanderlende (BBX).]

Right, I knew those players had advanced to LPGA Q School finals. But they are underdogs for status and they should realize that. Bri, Ashley and Andrea are already qualified for DFT 2009 via top 90 finish on the 2008 money list.

I had the same thought about Elizabeth Stuart, remembering the mood and comments from her final confessional. I've noticed that many of the women start to detour away from DFT after they've passed 25 or 26. It's very possible she's decided to put everything into LPGA Q School finals this year, and then look elsewhere if unsuccessful, which would be unfortunate. I agree with you about her terrific swing. That attitude can change over the winter and it looks like she already has D status for DFT 2009, at worst, via making the LPGA Q School finals. I found the full breakdown on the DFT "2009 Eligibility for Play" PDF: EXEMPT: A-1 Players finishing in the top-90 and ties on the Final 2008 Tour Official Money List (at the conclusion of the Albany, N.Y., tournament, September 5 - 7, 2008).* A-2 Players who completed 90 holes at the 2009 LPGA Final Qualifying Tournament December 1 - 7, 2008, but did not receive LPGA membership or will not have any LPGA membership for 2009 and who are not listed in the top-90 on the Final 2008 Tour Official Money List. A-3 The top finishers at the 2009 Tour Qualifying Tournament who did not receive 2009 LPGA membership in category 11 on the 2009 LPGA Priority List at the 2009 LPGA Final Qualifying Tournament. The number is based on how many top-90 2008 Tour players receive LPGA membership in category 11 for 2009 and the number of players who receive Exempt A-2 status. SPECIAL EXEMPTIONS: A-4 Five (5) places to be used for LPGA members in categories 12, 14 – 16 and 18 – 21 on the 2009 LPGA Priority List, who receive releases from the LPGA. Order will be determined by position on the 2009 LPGA Priority List. NOTE: Tournament Division members in Categories 1 - 11 and Class A Teaching and Club Professional Division members are not eligible. A-5 Three (3) places (this number may be increased for a particular event) to be used for collegiate players ranked in the top-30 and amateurs ranked in the top-20 on the 2009 Golfweek Collegiate or Amateur Rankings who may elect to play as amateurs or professionals. Order of selection will be determined as follows: #1 collegiate, #1 amateur, #2 collegiate, #2 amateur, #3 collegiate, #3 amateur, etc. A-6 Ten (10) places to be used for Tour special invitations (i.e., local tournament Exemptions, LPGA members in categories 12, 14 – 16, 18 - 21, and others), that the Tour Executive Committee deems important to any given tournament. NON-EXEMPT: Any position in the field not filled by an exempt member is available to other members in the following order: Category B: Members who improve their position through performance: Winners of Tour events in the current year (2009) and players who move into the top-90 on the current Tour Official Money List (re-ranking to occur twice during the 2009 season). Winners will receive first priority, followed by the current year's money list. Category C: The remainder of the cut field who competed at the 2009 Tour Qualifying Tournament but did not receive Exempt status. Order to be determined by finish. Category D: The next number of players who competed at the 2009 LPGA Final Qualifying Tournament, December 1 - 7, who failed to make the 72-hole cut and who will not have any LPGA membership for 2009 and did not finish in the top-90 on the 2008 Tour Official Money List. Position determined by lowest 72-hole score to highest. Category E: Players finishing 91st–120th on the Final 2008 Tour Money List (at the conclusion of the Albany, N.Y., tournament, September 5 - 7, 2008) in order of their position on that list.* Category F: The next number of players who competed at the 2009 Tour Qualifying Tournament, who did not receive Exempt status (A-3) or non-exempt C status. Order to be determined by finish.

Is that common on Big Break, for the elimination challenge to carry over to the following week? I didn't start watching until Ka'anapali and it never happened on that series. As I watched the clock tonight, it was always obvious there was no chance they would finish the 3 head-to-head matchups and also get through an elimination.

Based on the facial expressions during the post match interviews, the Hugo/Camila team definitely looked deflated. But I'm not sure if those clips were filmed before the elimination. Perhaps it wasn't decided until the following day. Tricky to determine the difference in filming schedule and the way it's shown.

Gad, I agree there were a flurry of awful shots. I watched both episodes for the first time today, after missing last week. Not a lot of PGA and LPGA caliber game out there, at least based on two episodes. I still don't understand the value of a single exemption. It takes the vast majority of players months if not years to adjust to tour after they've become exempt. With one exemption, who cares, other than the ability to say you've been there? Only a win really makes a difference. Best of luck on that. I guess a top ten would provide a spot in the following event. Other than the name of the show and the concept I'd prefer more prizes and less hype of advancement.

I must say I hated the opening of the first episode, going straight to the golf. At that point I need some intro. I didn't care about anyone during that opening 5-5 point challenge when I didn't know anything about them. It doesn't matter how they contrive it but give us some idea of who is competitive and whose personality is to linger back, who is athletic and who is not, the type of attire they prefer off the course, etc. I thought Ka'anapali was interesting in that regard, sprinting and digging in the dirt, and volunteering to hula dance and jump in the water. That episode was ripped on message boards but IMO it was valuable foundation.

The thing I remember taking from the opening episode was Amber's putting technique needs some work. Instead of following through with the triangle toward the target she stops almost immediately after impact then pops her wrists. That's not unlike some of the older methods that you see from Palmer and others in clips from the '50s and '60s but generally it's not preferred today.

Haymes' right arm position looked bizarre on shorter shots but with the driver it seemed more standard.

I'd hate to see Hugo and Camila go first. She's a cute little fire plug and I like listening for the Spanish and trying to translate on my own.

Is that common on Big Break, for the elimination challenge to carry over to the following week? I didn't start watching until Ka'anapali and it never happened on that series. As I watched the clock tonight, it was always obvious there was no chance they would finish the 3 head-to-head matchups and also get through an elimination.

Episode 2 on BB Ka'anapali was supposed to be an elimination but then Tina and Courtney both survived for another show. That was the first time I saw an elmination challenge where no one was elminated.

Tonight was just plain frustrating for me - I am not a nasty person by nature, but I really wanted to see someone elminated. Okay, maybe I am nasty, but shows that end with "continue next week" kill me! Anyway...my evening ended nicely with a friendly chat with Michael - I love it when a man (or woman) can laugh at themselves. Michael was a treat to interview. Amber was having a high time with someone she called a "cutie" and had to DVR the show. She'll be on the blog tomorrow with Haymes and Andrea "if looks could kill" Vanderlende. Gayle

Golfgal
www.golfgal-blog.com

That attitude can change over the winter and it looks like she already has D status for DFT 2009, at worst, via making the LPGA Q School finals. I found the full breakdown on the DFT "2009 Eligibility for Play" PDF:

Thanks. I couldn't find that.

Is that common on Big Break, for the elimination challenge to carry over to the following week? I didn't start watching until Ka'anapali and it never happened on that series.

Usually, the first 2 shows don't contain an elimination for various reasons. In BB9, I think it was also Episode 3 before anyone got booted.

I must say I hated the opening of the first episode, going straight to the golf. At that point I need some intro.

Need a little foreplay Awsi?

Amber was having a high time with someone she called a "cutie" and had to DVR the show.

I told her I was willing to watch the live broadcast, but she refused to be distracted.

Nike Sumo 5000 V2 (9.5°) & SQ2 3W (15°) | TaylorMade Rescue Mid (19° & 22°) | Mizuno MX-23 4-PW | Callaway X-Tour (56-13°) & X-Tour MD (60-11°) | Bettinardi C-03

"I don't care how good your iron play is, if you can't drive it in the fairway you might as well break 'em up or use 'em...

I'd hate to see Hugo and Camila go first. She's a cute little fire plug and I like listening for the Spanish and trying to translate on my own.

I wouldn't mind seeing them get eliminated. Camila is ok, but Hugo irritated me with his comments about his missed putt in the head to head matchup: "It had perfect speed and was the perfect line..." Well, obviously not. It just struck me as a bit arrogant.

So far I'm liking Haymes and Bernie the most. Of course, I'm a big fan of Brandt Snedeker so that could have something to do with it.
Callaway FT-9 Tour I-mix 9.5° Driver (Fujikura Zcom Pro 65 stiff)
Mizuno F-50 15° 3w (Exsar FS2 stiff)
Bridgestone J36 19° Hybrid (Aldila VS Proto 80 stiff)
Adams Idea Pro 23° Hybrid (Aldila VS Proto 80 stiff)
Adams Idea Pro Forged 5-pw Irons (DG Black Gold stiff)Nike SV Tour Black Satin...

Hugo irritated me with his comments about his missed putt in the head to head matchup: "It had perfect speed and was the perfect line..." . .

yeah he also said it just didn't break......the 2 coaches are the team I want to see go......

You are too kind. IMO there is not an iota of PGA or LPGA caliber game out there.

Which, for me, makes it more entertaining to watch.

"You can live to be a hundred if you give up all the things that make you want to live to be a hundred." Woody Allen
My regular pasture.

• Administrator
You are too kind. IMO there is not an iota of PGA or LPGA caliber game out there.

Agreed. The over-under for whatever guy makes it into the PGA Tour event is probably two rounds of 80 or so - and I might be kind in saying that.

Erik J. Barzeski —  I knock a ball. It goes in a gopher hole. 🏌🏼‍♂️
Director of Instruction Golf Evolution • Owner, The Sand Trap .com • AuthorLowest Score Wins
Golf Digest "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17 & "Best in State" 2017-20 • WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019 :edel: :true_linkswear:

Check Out: New Topics | TST Blog | Golf Terms | Instructional Content | Analyzr | LSW | Instructional Droplets

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

So far BB-X has been a real dud. Makes me miss Lori (ha ha). The first elimination needs to happen before they lose me altogether.

I have to agree with the prior posters that I just don't see much hope for many (any?) of these players making a cut at an LPGA/PGA event ... or for some of the teams even wanting or aspiring to do so (for instance, the LongDrivers and Coaches -- are they really even remotely interested in the "chance" [voiceover: "so you're saying there's a chance?"] to break on to their respective tours at the risk of utter humiliation when they post an 85? [fn. 1]). So the premise of the program seems rather pointless for a number of the cast members. I guess the BMWs would be nice, though.

In addition to the want of quality golf (except from a couple players here and there), there's not a lot of personality to get excited about either. Poor Billy Ray seems entirely ill at ease in his new role, and aside from Stina's occassional gasps at the number of shanks, pulls, and blown chips, she's not adding a whole lot either. Frankly, that's one reason I'd hate to see Hugo and Camila go -- I think once they get warmed up they may have the potential to color up what so far has been a rather bland soup (I also enjoy their subtitles. It's almost like a latin soap: "My love, that's perfect." "My love, I'm not nervous at all. Nor I -- is it because we're together?" Awesome.) Anyway, I got so bored at one point I found myself pausing TIVO to figure out whether Camila (black) and the Pranger (pink) were wearing identical skort sets or not -- turns out, they weren't ... Camila's was a Nike ensamble, Pranger's wasn't.

Well, on the bright side, I suppose it was interesting to watch Coach meltdown, since his job, one assumes, involves keeping his players from doing just that. (Or was that LongDrive?) Also, Poor Andrea deserves some credit for carrying James around on her back without blowing her stack, even though he's an ex. Hope that works out for her next week!

A question of strategy. I'm not sure why the women were taking the tee shot on the Par 4, and the men on the Par 3, or why Haymes and Bernie were surprised when the Coaches (or the LDs?) did it the other way around. It's not like the Par 3s were particularly long. And I have a hard time believing that the Pranger's former boy toy, for example, couldn't have pounded it 80-100 yards past her drive, given how far he hits his 9i. Maybe the thought was that the women were more likely to find the fairway off the tee than the boys. (Which wouldn't say much about the likelihood of success on the tour, see point number one.)

Well, golf is an addiction, so TGC knows I'll keep watching this thing "unravel" as Amber put it, but I do hope the fireworks come out soon.

[Fn 1] For some reason I keep getting the LongDrivers and the Coaches mixed up. Maybe it's because I've written them off as contenders.

Nike Sumo 5000 V2 (9.5°) & SQ2 3W (15°) | TaylorMade Rescue Mid (19° & 22°) | Mizuno MX-23 4-PW | Callaway X-Tour (56-13°) & X-Tour MD (60-11°) | Bettinardi C-03

"I don't care how good your iron play is, if you can't drive it in the fairway you might as well break 'em up or use 'em...

I really have no good words to describe some of the awful golf I have seen so far on this show. On my poorer days on the course I could do better than what I've seen from some of these people. I'm not sure I'm going to watch anymore until they weed out some of the riff raff and we get down to some decent teams. Then again, that may mean I'm not watching it anymore.

Well, I guess I'm in the minority because I like last night's show (not as much as BB:Ka'anapali, but I think BBX is starting to take shape.)

Bernie and Haymes were awesome in the distance challenge. That was just fun to watch.

The married couple is growing on me.

Camilla's one liners are hilarious:
  • After Hugo missed the first shot on the distance challenge:
Camilla: "You blew it!"
  • After Hugo hit into a deep bunker
Hugo: How are you going to hit it?
Camilla: High.

If James doesn't get it together, and quick, Andrea and James are doomed. She is totally carrying him.

As for all the people commenting "I could have done better" . . . Remember that every single competitor that has been on the show has commented that it was the single most stressful event of their life and that they have never been more nervous.

They sit around all day and they are expected to hit a shot in front of 4 cameras and all of their friends and competition. And like Haymes said, it's not like a round of golf where 1 shot is just part of your score. On Big Break, 1 shot often IS your score.

I'm willing to bet that if you took the low cappers on this board in groups of 9 and placed them under similar conditions like the first challenge of Episode 1, at least 2 out of the 9 would shank, chunk, thin, slice, or duck hook the ball. Nobody thinks it would happen to them, but it would.

But even if that wouldn't happen, I still don't care. I like the show for what it is - a fun competition where (unlike 99% of what is on TV these days - including the PGA when Tiger is healthy) I can't predict the ending in the first 5 minutes.

I'll agree these guys and gals are not PGA/LPGA material, but I like seeing somewhat more average Joe's chunk or chilli-dipping now and then. I agree with Iacas, we could set up an office pool on the over under on their rounds. I was amazed that the coach had a complete meltdown, I just hope he's not the golf coach. I feel for James, he's clearly not over Andrea, and his less than stellar performance is not helping his cause. Here's hoping love conquers all, or, more likely, as Groucho Marx says, Time wounds all heels.... jmoc

Just read the Bio on GC for Michael; Occupation: Head Men’s and Womens’ Golf Coach at Long Island University/ Head Golf Professional/Lead Instructor for Simductive Golf at Mercer County Golf Academy....Yikes, University Golf Coach and Head Pro, that bunker performance can't be good for his street cred.....jmoc

"Courage is fear holding on one minute longer." Gen. Geo. S. Patton, 5 June 1944

Grom Desert Camo
Dymo HL Driver and 5 Wood
GC Hybrids 3-5 i15 irons 6-pw Tour-W 50*, 54* and 58* wedges White Hot XG Hawk Freak Neo GPS

Note: This thread is 5579 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!