IGNORED

Average Distances - How Far Do You Hit Each Club? (And Don't Lie!)

Note: This thread is 978 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

I play in MA,RI, NH, CT to give you an idea of conditions. Can usually get a golf season of April-Nov given mother nature is nice to us.

Average Distances: callaway x22 tours PX6.0 with vokey sm5 wedges

Driver 260 carry depending on conditions. Role will vary
3 wood 235-45 carry
3-iron- broken
4 Iron 210
5 Iron 190-200
6 Iron 180-
7 Iron 165
8 Iron 145
9 Iron 130
PW 130
50-08* wedge 120
54-10* wedge 100-110

59-08* wedge no full shots mostly around the green

callaway.gif Razr Fit 8.5* Stiff

callaway.gif Big Bertha Hawkeye 3W

callaway.gifFT Fusion 2H, 3H

callaway.gif  X-22 Tour 5- PW PX 6.0

vokey.gif SM5 48-08 FG
vokey.gif SM5 54-10 SG

vokey.gif SM5 59-07 SG

blooper, miss typed. Wedge 45deg 100m, Wedge 48deg 90m.

Titleist 915 D2-10.5°, Titleist 915 F 15°, PING G25 16.5°, PING G30 Hybrid 19°
PING G25 4-W, Cleveland RTX 588 Rotex 2.0 48°/52°
Rife Bimini Island Series Putter, PING DLX Bag
Sureshot Rangefinder, PING Sensor Glove, Srixon Q star Balls.

My controlled distances on average with forged is low I guess but I'm more consistent:

average  max

Driver:     275         310

3 wood:   250         280

5 iron:      215        230

7 iron:      193         210

8 iron:      170         190

Pitch:       135         151

52 degree 110         130

Tell us your secret as 24 handicap how you hit the little white pill 275+ ???

Titleist 915 D2-10.5°, Titleist 915 F 15°, PING G25 16.5°, PING G30 Hybrid 19°
PING G25 4-W, Cleveland RTX 588 Rotex 2.0 48°/52°
Rife Bimini Island Series Putter, PING DLX Bag
Sureshot Rangefinder, PING Sensor Glove, Srixon Q star Balls.

It's the 193 - 210 7 iron that is more impressive IMO. He must have a bad short game and needs to work on putting to get into low single digets.

:adams: / :tmade: / :edel: / :aimpoint: / :ecco: / :bushnell: / :gamegolf: / 

Eyad

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

It's the 193 - 210 7 iron that is more impressive IMO. He must have a bad short game and needs to work on putting to get into low single digets.

Must be the forged clubs hindering...

Obviously his scoring woes have to do with the serious gapping issues at the scoring clubs. ;-) Assuming his 9 iron goes 150, that's a 20 yard difference between his 8 and 9 irons, 15 between his 9 and PW, 25 between the PW and GW, and so forth.

Bill

“By three methods we may learn wisdom: First, by reflection, which is noblest; Second, by imitation, which is easiest; and third by experience, which is the bitterest.” - Confucius

My Swing Thread

Tell us your secret as 24 handicap how you hit the little white pill 275+ ???

[quote name="Abu3baid" url="/t/18426/average-distances-how-far-do-you-hit-each-club-and-dont-lie/1962#post_1126577"]It's the 193 - 210 7 iron that is more impressive IMO. He must have a bad short game and needs to work on putting to get into low single digets.[/quote] [quote name="luu5" url="/t/18426/average-distances-how-far-do-you-hit-each-club-and-dont-lie/1962#post_1126578"] Must be the forged clubs hindering... [/quote] [quote name="billchao" url="/t/18426/average-distances-how-far-do-you-hit-each-club-and-dont-lie/1962#post_1126581"] Obviously his scoring woes have to do with the serious gapping issues at the scoring clubs. ;-) Assuming his 9 iron goes 150, that's a 20 yard difference between his 8 and 9 irons, 15 between his 9 and PW, 25 between the PW and GW, and so forth.[/quote] Those distances are in feet not yards. . .

• Upvote 1

:ping:  :tmade:  :callaway:   :gamegolf:  :titleist:

TM White Smoke Big Fontana; Pro-V1
TM Rac 60 TT WS, MD2 56
Ping i20 irons U-4, CFS300
Callaway XR16 9 degree Fujikura Speeder 565 S
Callaway XR16 3W 15 degree Fujikura Speeder 565 S, X2Hot Pro 20 degrees S

"I'm hitting the woods just great, but I'm having a terrible time getting out of them." ~Harry Toscano

Good distance doesn't mean he's accurate... It could be any number of things that hurt his scores (e.g. Game management, accuracy, putting, getting out of trouble situations, etc.)

Good distance doesn't mean he's accurate... It could be any number of things that hurt his scores (e.g. Game management, accuracy, putting, getting out of trouble situations, etc.)

That's true, it doesn't take much to shoot a double 5 times a round. However, if he's averaging 275 yards he should easily shoot better than an 10. Average includes trees, slices, hooks and stuff. If I averaged 275 I would be right down the fairway or first cut and be a single digit easily. . .even with my less than average putting skills. EDIT: Just reread his post. With stats like those and hitting forged, he should be scratch. . .he must have forgotten the decimal point and the + sign in front of the handicap. Those are distance stats of a +2.4 golfer.

TM Rac 60 TT WS, MD2 56

"I'm hitting the woods just great, but I'm having a terrible time getting out of them." ~Harry Toscano

I think most weekend warriors only take the average of their good shots, or shots they can actually measure. So yes, I agree if the "true" average was 275 one could assume he's reasonably accurate. But my guess is those averages are not "true"... As with most (mine included... I avg 290 off the tee, but I don't take into account the 2 tee shots or so a round that wind up in lakes, lost, etc. because I have no way to measure them). But who knows, I've never played a round with anyone on here to be able to place any reasonable assessment on their game.

I think most weekend warriors only take the average of their good shots, or shots they can actually measure. So yes, I agree if the "true" average was 275 one could assume he's reasonably accurate. But my guess is those averages are not "true"... As with most (mine included... I avg 290 off the tee, but I don't take into account the 2 tee shots or so a round that wind up in lakes, lost, etc. because I have no way to measure them). But who knows, I've never played a round with anyone on here to be able to place any reasonable assessment on their game.

Just measure the approximate last point where they went OB or into the hazard, that's your drive distance.

TM Rac 60 TT WS, MD2 56

Just measure the approximate last point where they went OB or into the hazard, that's your drive distance.

When one takes a provisional, which shot would one measure for their avg? Both? And it's an honest question (not being a smart-ass)

When one takes a provisional, which shot would one measure for their avg? Both?

And it's an honest question (not being a smart-ass)

IDK, but some of the more purist golfers think you should include distances of all non-practice strokes made with a club.

TM Rac 60 TT WS, MD2 56

The reason I find knowing averages important is to know which club to pull... So to me, including a terrible shot, or two, a round into the averages doesn't provide any relevant data to my club selection (other than understanding what the typical miss is). Let's say someone tops a ball 1 out of 10 times... That would certainly make their average lower, but why would that matter in club selection? What's important is the result the other 90% of the time. I'm not arguing... Just stating why I think the averages are important, and useful. Otherwise, it doesn't seem to matter or be relevant (other than maybe bragging rights or something). Personally, it makes more sense to not include the bad shots in the averages (assuming percentage-wise the bad shots are less frequent than the normal shots).

The reason I find knowing averages important is to know which club to pull... So to me, including a terrible shot, or two, a round into the averages doesn't provide any relevant data to my club selection (other than understanding what the typical miss is). Let's say someone tops a ball 1 out of 10 times... That would certainly make their average lower, but why would that matter in club selection? What's important is the result the other 90% of the time. I'm not arguing... Just stating why I think the averages are important, and useful. Otherwise, it doesn't seem to matter or be relevant (other than maybe bragging rights or something). Personally, it makes more sense to not include the bad shots in the averages (assuming percentage-wise the bad shots are less frequent than the normal shots).

Not seeing this as an argument at all. My son brought up a good point about using the average iron distance as well. "If I hit a 7i between 155 and 175, it should be considered my 165 club. The number of times I overhit the 7i is far less than the number I hit it short. So, if a pin is 165 away, I would reach for my 7i." We were 175 away from a pin, and he hit 6i. It landed near the pin, and rolled over the green by only a little. I hit 7i 3 times. Two times were short and only one shot hit pin high. My putts were longer, while he had a short chip and putt for par. The other reason this strategy works most of the time is the greens are usually protected better from the front. If you over hit a green, it's usually not as penal. There are exceptions, then you layup or shoot short of the pin with those few exceptions. So, the better players are rewarded with more greens using this type of strategy. It's also in LSW. He has a more technical explanation for it called "shot zones". At least that's how I understand it, I am still learning. . .

TM Rac 60 TT WS, MD2 56

The way I would look at averages is to take the median within one standard deviation. This gets rid of the anomalies like your tops, duck hooks, shanks, and the few times you bomb it, and gives you a more statistically valid average club distance. For example that shot I hit into the woods on 16 with my 3W would count, but the provisional I topped and rolled 30 yds into 6" tall rough would not. Another one that would not count would be the 3W I bombed on the 402 yd par 5 that left me at the 150 yd marker because I do not as a rule hit a 3W 250 yds.

Julia

:callaway:  :cobra:    :seemore:  :bushnell:  :clicgear:  :adidas:  :footjoy:

Spoiler

Driver: Callaway Big Bertha w/ Fubuki Z50 R 44.5"
FW: Cobra BiO CELL 14.5 degree; 
Hybrids: Cobra BiO CELL 22.5 degree Project X R-flex
Irons: Cobra BiO CELL 5 - GW Project X R-Flex
Wedges: Cobra BiO CELL SW, Fly-Z LW, 64* Callaway PM Grind.
Putter: 48" Odyssey Dart

Exactly... And I think that applies to what Lihu said about shot zones as well (assuming I understand the definition... It's a radius from the target (or circumference around the target)?). I wouldn't consider the nasty hook I hit 10% of the time to be in my shot zone... I just consider it my big miss, and don't really gameplan for it. I would say my shot zone is a 10-15 yard radius from the target (depends on the club of course) because that's where 80%+ of my approach shots wind up. So the "true" average doesn't seem to mean much... To my game anyway

Note: This thread is 978 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!