IGNORED

Bosu Trainer (balance ball)

shortgrass lover
Note: This thread is 4837 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

For any fitness freaks here, what do you think about the Fitness Quest Bosu Trainer? You know, the little balance ball that looks like a exercise ball cut in half? I'm just looking for user reviews to see what you guys think. I'm willing to pay for it, just don't want to buy it blind

Callaway FT-9 Tour 9.5* with Prolaunch Blue S| Adams InSight XTD A3 15* FW | Adams IDEA a3 hybrid irons | Callaway 52* X-Tour Forged wedge | Titleist Bob Vokey SM56* | PING Day putter

Favorite Ball: Srixon Z Star X

Home Course: Majestic Pines GCage: 16

I've got one. Bought it last winter. I don't do a ton with it. Mainly work out at the gym, but I like using it to swing my weighted club while maintaining balance on it. Great exercise.

There is a lot of exercises you can do with it (just google Bosu exerices), so I'd say it's worth the cost if you use it.

In my SX76 StaDry
Woods: G15 9.0° BB Stiff, G10 14°
Hybrids: i15 20°, Rapture 24°
Irons: AP2 5-PW
Wedges: SM Vokey 51°, 56°, 60° Putter: Circa '62 No. 2 (Gun Metal Blue) Ball: ProV1

They are great for core stuff.

Ping G 410 10.5 ˚ Driver Ping Tour Stiff Shaft
Ping G 410 14.5˚ 3 Ping Tour Stiff Shaft
Ping G 410 19˚ Ping Tour Stiff Shaft
i 500 irons 4-UW 1/2 inch over, blue dot, NS Pro Modus 105 Stiff Shafts
Ping Stealth Wedges Wedges  54˚ 58˚

Scotty Cameron Studio Select Newport 2 34" 

I rocked that thing out when I was rehabing my knee after acl surgery. It will work you out hardcore and is well worth the money. It works on balance and strength and conditiong, so you cant really go wrong with it.

In my freestyle:
Driver: 10.5* G5 with UST V2
F.W. wood: 16* retro raylor with Aldila HM-40 Tour Gold
Irons: i5 3-pw. Stiff cs lite shafts
Wedges: 8620 51*, 56*, and 60* Putter: classics 1 34""Life is tough. It's tougher if you're stupid." -John Wayne

thanks for the reviews. i'll definitley be getting one now.

Callaway FT-9 Tour 9.5* with Prolaunch Blue S| Adams InSight XTD A3 15* FW | Adams IDEA a3 hybrid irons | Callaway 52* X-Tour Forged wedge | Titleist Bob Vokey SM56* | PING Day putter

Favorite Ball: Srixon Z Star X

Home Course: Majestic Pines GCage: 16

Just to second what everyone already said, those things are great! When my Dad got his big toe joint replaced, he used one of those and it really helped him regain his balance. My mom's a PT and she also loves it. Great for core and balance work and very versatile. Flip it over and hold the handles so the the ball on the ground and do pushups with your hands on the handles (excellent workout).

• 2 years later...

I'm an athletic trainer and use it with all my athletes when conditioning whether it be coming back from an injury or just to build strength.

A few exercises that I like...

Pushups- flip it upside down where the ball is on the floor.  The closer your hands get to the middle the harder.

Squats/Jump Squats/ Wall sits- ball side up is easiest when you get use to that flip it ball side down.  Just don't do jump squats with ball side down...to unstable.

All ab exercises- From In&Outs;, crunches, and V-ups. Ball side up, place your butt or low back on the ball and complete.  Takes alot of balance and core strength

Single leg stance- Ball side up is easiest.  Stand on one leg in the center and balance.  Ways to make it harder= toss a ball with someone, close your eyes (takes away your sensory awareness),

Double leg golf swings- stand on it an swing a golf club.  More sport specific and challenges you to keep your balance

Quote:

I'm an athletic trainer and use it with all my athletes when conditioning whether it be coming back from an injury or just to build strength. ...

I work out at a franchise gym operation, and about two years ago the Bosu balls kinda disappeared from "general circulation" for a few months. One of the trainers said something about liability issues. Since then, the BBs have returned to the personal trainer area.

How much of a problem is there with stupid people hurting themselves on Bosu balls?

Focus, connect and follow through!

• Completed KBS Education Seminar (online, 2015)
  • GolfWorks Clubmaking AcademyFitting, Assembly & Repair School (2012)

Driver:  :touredge: EXS 10.5°, weights neutral   ||  FWs:  :callaway: Rogue 4W + 7W
Hybrid:  :callaway: Big Bertha OS 4H at 22°  ||  Irons:  :callaway: Mavrik MAX 5i-PW
Wedges:  :callaway: MD3: 48°, 54°... MD4: 58° ||  Putter:image.png.b6c3447dddf0df25e482bf21abf775ae.pngInertial NM SL-583F, 34"  
Ball:  image.png.f0ca9194546a61407ba38502672e5ecf.png QStar Tour - Divide  ||  Bag: :sunmountain: Three 5 stand bag

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

Most of the athletes do pretty well with them once I show them how to do it.  Most of them are big beach muscle guys who haven't work a stabilizing muscle in their life (aka core).  I have never had anyone hurt themselves on one though.  I'm not sure I could see that happening its a pretty basic piece of equipment.

we used a few regularly in our gym workouts when i was in college (baseball all 4 years), we only had one incident of an injury but it was a bit self inflicted. our backup catcher had a bad left ankle and was doing tosses to a partner and rolled his ankle causing a 3rd degree sprain...how was it self inflicted? he didn't get it taped prior to working out...he was 'in a hurry'. personally, i love them myself, should look into getting one actually.

In my Titleist 2014 9.5" Staff bag:

Cobra Bio+ 9* Matrix White Tie X  - Taylormade SLDR 15* ATTAS 80X - Titleist 910H 19* ATTAS 100X - Taylormade '13 TP MC 4-PW PX 6.5 - Vokey TVD M 50* DG TI X100 - Vokey SM4 55 / Vokey SM5 60* DG TI S400 - Piretti Potenza II 365g

• 3 weeks later...

I started using one maybe three months ago to try to improve my balance. When I use "balance" as a swing thought, I usually hit it best.

HOWEVER, I went to work out two days ago and a friend who has played on both the regular and senior tours, and is a teaching pro, happened to be in there and I asked him to watch my routine on the ball and give me suggestions. His comments, in general, were that it looked like a good aide for general balance training but not good for the entire golf swing. The reason was, while you want to be in balance for the setup and start of the downswing, there is a point in the swing where your balance switches to your left side (for a right-hander). At that point, on this device, there is no way to keep from falling over unless you fall back , and that is not a good finish position.

I plan to keep using it but not doing full swings.

Also, I would be glad to hear from other swing experts on this assessment.

My trainer makes me do just about every single damn exercise on either a Swiss or Bosu ball. I am feeble in the core, apparently. I secretly fantasize about sneaking into the gym at night and taking care of all those wobbly bastards with a sharpened Tour Stick.

Stretch.

"In the process of trial and error, our failed attempts are meant to destroy arrogance and provoke humility." -- Master Jin Kwon

when you swing a club on it, do you make a full swing were you end up on all your weight on your left leg?  If so how do you keep from falling over?

if you want a cheaper, buy a work out mat and fold it from the outside to the center then in half again. Then stand on it, it adds a little instability that will add to any workout. Just incase your not ready for the Bosu ball.. I hate pushups on those things, fricken evil

Matt Dougherty, P.E.
 fasdfa dfdsaf 

What's in My Bag
Driver; :pxg: 0311 Gen 5,  3-Wood: 
:titleist: 917h3 ,  Hybrid:  :titleist: 915 2-Hybrid,  Irons: Sub 70 TAIII Fordged
Wedges: :edel: (52, 56, 60),  Putter: :edel:,  Ball: :snell: MTB,  Shoe: :true_linkswear:,  Rangfinder: :leupold:
Bag: :ping:

Originally Posted by saevel25

when you swing a club on it, do you make a full swing were you end up on all your weight on your left leg?  If so how do you keep from falling over?

I guess that's a rhetorical question, because the obvious answer is, "You can't" without falling back, and that's not a good finish position. That's the point the pro made with me.

I just got back from the gym and tried it by concentrating on the setup and coil positions, and stopping sometimes before the weight shift on the way down. I still think it's a good tool.

not rhetorical, someone said take swings, so i want to clarify it, thank you

Matt Dougherty, P.E.
 fasdfa dfdsaf 

What's in My Bag
Driver; :pxg: 0311 Gen 5,  3-Wood: 
:titleist: 917h3 ,  Hybrid:  :titleist: 915 2-Hybrid,  Irons: Sub 70 TAIII Fordged
Wedges: :edel: (52, 56, 60),  Putter: :edel:,  Ball: :snell: MTB,  Shoe: :true_linkswear:,  Rangfinder: :leupold:
Bag: :ping:

Note: This thread is 4837 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!