IGNORED

Phone GPS

Note: This thread is 2556 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

Its probably a long shot but i was wondering if anyone knew of a gps app ex. golftraxx but for an at&t; phone thats not an iphone. I know it probably dosnt exist but just hoping. Thanks in advance.

In My Hank Haney IJGA Bag
Driver: FT Tour 9.5 w/ Aldila Voodoo Stiff
3 Wood: i15 15.5 w/ avixcore red stiff
Hybrids: Rescue 09 19, 22 w/ fujikara fit on stiff
Irons: 4 & 5 MP-52, 6-PW MP-58 w/ KBS Tour Stiff Wedges: MP T-10 52*, 58* w/ KBS Tour StiifPutter: Fastback 1 34 inBall: : Pro...

Hi,

it depends what phone you actually have.
There are a couple of golf applications for smartphones, then others for Nokias Symbian OS.

This one might work for other phones as well, but I dont know anything about the software. Just stumbled upon it, when I was checking for the same thing you are looking for.

http://www.wegolf.net/

(I find it quite expensive, though)

Dom

In my Tour Combo Bag:

Driver: Superquad 9.5°
5W: 2008 Burner 18°
3H: Idea Pro Gold 20°4H: 2008 Burner Rescue 22°Irons: MP52 R300 5-PWedges: Vokey SM 50.08, 54.11, 58.04, 60.11Putter: Itsy Bitsy SpiderBall: TP Red

I tried a few different GPS programs on the Iphone and they were all a pain to use (or didn't work at all). My gf bought me an igolf neo for Christmas on sale for around $110 bucks and it worked flawlessly with little setup. Just turn it on, choose the course and off you go. I would never mess with a cell phone GPS program again.

SLDR 430 TP Graphite Design DI-6s
SLDR Mini Driver TP Graphite Design DI-6s
SLDR 4h Matrix Black Tie 95s
Ping G25 4-PW
Ping Gorge 50, 54, 58

Ping Anser IWI

The intelligolf software runs on many phones and utilizes the GPS in several phones. A quick list at http://www.intelligolf.com/intelliGpsCert.asp

I use intelligolf. I enjoy the stats tracking and information that you can view while playing and/or after the round.

I had tried the gps feature. The feature performed well and provided good information. My issue was my pda and my bluetooth gps ran down the battery on the pda in about 15 holes. I believe there is a way/methodology to get more battery life out of my pda/bluetooth connection, but I did not bother to explore it. I now use a Golf Guru GPS -- in addition to my pda/intelligolf system.

As far as the intelligolf gps system, it is pretty good. It tracks F/C/B of green, 150/200/250 yard markers and up to 3 other objects for each hole. I thought that was not enough objects. But in looking at most courses, you really do not need that many targets per hole ( or you want a continuous set of values for a creek or pond running the length of the hole ). Using either goggle earth or similar, it is easy to add coordinates for courses that are not yet mapped.

I personally like the green-sense or intelligreen like system better.

The GPS information on distance is pretty useful and is presented in a nice way for the individual user. Intelligolf tracks distance of shot too.
Michael Krolewski

In the Bag Boy Revolver Pro on a Clicgear 2.0 cart:
Acer Mantara XL Driver 10.5
Acer Mantara S.S 3 Wood; 3DX DC 15* Hybrid (3w/1h); 3DX DC 17* Hybrid (4w/2h); Acer XP905 Ti Hollow Core WS 4-9i; cg14 48* 2dot; cg14 54* 1dot; cg14 60* 1dot

I tried a few different GPS programs on the Iphone and they were all a pain to use (or didn't work at all). My gf bought me an igolf neo for Christmas on sale for around $110 bucks and it worked flawlessly with little setup. Just turn it on, choose the course and off you go. I would never mess with a cell phone GPS program again.

Does the igolf neo have targets other than the green?

Irons: 4 & 5 MP-52, 6-PW MP-58 w/ KBS Tour Stiff Wedges: MP T-10 52*, 58* w/ KBS Tour StiifPutter: Fastback 1 34 inBall: : Pro...

Im kind of hijacking my own thread(if that is possible) with what im about to say. I was wondering if anyone knows of a gps/rangefinder for under 200 bucks. Thanks

• 5 months later...
Does anyone here know of a good gps program for smartphones. I have an htc touch pro and I was thinking about trying one of these programs before buying a skycaddie.

Hibore Driver
Burner Steel 3 Wood
Rescue Mid Hybrid
mp 52s
54* and 60* Spin Milled Wedges Craz-e Putter Bag Cart Neo gps

Freecaddie. I use it on my Touch Diamond, which is basically the Touch Pro without the keyboard.

It's free, easy to use, straightforward, and accurate. Most courses were available for download, but I had to use the course creator to make one or two. It was surprisingly easy.

C9 VFT Ti
C9 5w
P2 Hybrid 3
P2 Deep Cavity 4-PW
SGS 52, 56 Putter

I just started using freecaddie as well. Had my smartphone for about a year and didn't realize you could do it til recently. I find it accurate for most of the time but then had a shot yesterday that was definitely under 100 yards and on the GPS it was showing up as 100+.

I feel a bit rude when I play with strangers as I fudge around with my phone.

« Keith »

One more vote for FreeCaddie here. I have been using it on my HTC Touch Pro for a few months.

wrx_junki, you might try creating your own course files so you know the markers are set where they should be.
I just started using freecaddie as well. Had my smartphone for about a year and didn't realize you could do it til recently. I find it accurate for most of the time but then had a shot yesterday that was definitely under 100 yards and on the GPS it was showing up as 100+.

Odyssey white Hot 2 ball cut down to 29"

Cobra ZL 9.5 driver
Adams Speedline 3W 13*
TourEdge Bazooka 20* hybrid
Powerbilt forged combo 3-PW
Ping Tour S 52 and 56 wedges

I used View Golf TI for Iphone and I did not like it. It is cumbersome at best. If you get a call or text it bumps you out of the program. I also found instances where I did not trust the yardage and it did not match my buddies skycaddie. I don't mean by a yard or two.

I treated myself to a UPro, with the $100 rebate it was $300. So far it is awesome.
At this point in my game being able to pick layup points easily and reliably helped my game. I don't pull the driver as often as I used to. I also like the shot tracking. It allows you to determine your real yardages of the clubs which helps.

I like the Upro but I think any GPS would be a big help.
I think a laser range finder could help dial in your short game. If you are trying to work a 3x4 or 3x3 wedge system you have to do the work up front. That is hard to do without a laser range finder to find the average distances of clubs.

Good luck!

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

I'm another freecaddie user, although I have actually graduated onto freecaddie pro, so that I can download courses when out and about, and upload scores to keep my stats. I previously used intelligolf, which I have ditched for the simpler, and I think more effective, freecaddie.

My course and all the other courses I regularly play were already on the database, but I re-mapped my home course to include all of the hazards. Really easy, really effective.

I clip my phone to my bag, and just turn on the screen as I walk up to my ball. That way the yardage is right when I get there. The only time I've had wildly wrong yardages is if I forget to advance the program onto the correct hole (in which case it's telling me the distance to that last green, not the one I'm playing).

I'm sure it's not for everyone, but it works really nicely for me. It's all I need. There really is no reason not to try the free version - it's genuinely free if that's all that you need. It didn't take me very long to decide to to pay the small amount extra for the additional convenience features. I'm a very happy user, even though it's not perfect (I'd like some additions to the way you mark scores so that it records actual positions of the ball).

In the bag:

Driver: 975D 10.5° True Temper EI-70 Stiff (Alternate 8.5° Titleist Stiff Graphite Shaft)
Fairway Woods: 975F (2 From) 14.5°, 18.5° True Temper EI-70 Stiff, 20.5° Titleist Stiff Graphite Shaft
3Iron-PW: S58 Dynamic Gold S300 ShaftsGap Wedge: Tour-W 54/10 Nickel...

Ive been using GPS Golf Shot its on both Iphone and some verizon phones. Its pretty solid and really cheap on verizon.

In my Sun Mountain MPB bag:
Burner 07 9.5w/ Prolaunch Red
SZ Fairway Woods 4+ and 7
Rescue TP 3 hybrid
200 series irons 4-pwcg11 wedges 52*,56*,60*White Hot 2-BallDT RollHome Course: www.bodegaharbourgolf.com/

Freecaddie. I use it on my Touch Diamond, which is basically the Touch Pro without the keyboard.

Here's another free Windows Mobile alternative to freecaddie -

http://www.gudensoft.com/golfgps/

:P
In the bag Nike SasQuatch SuMo 10.5* {} Tiger Shark Hammerhead 3w, 5w, 3h {} Nickent 3DX Pro 5i-PW {} Titleist Vokey 250.08* {} Cleveland CG11. 54* {} Callaway X-Tour 58.11* {} Carbite Tour Classic Putter {} Titleist ProV1x

• 7 years later...

I see this is an old thread. I recently obtained an I7 phone and downloaded the apt "SwingXSwing".   I just downloaded the basic apt and not the extension for stats that you have to pay for.  I might do that if I like the apt.  My first, and only so far, use showed that the yardage was always consistent with the marking on the home course and the pictures are, I assume, satellite views of the hole you're playing.  As you get closer to the green the view zooms in some.  Anyway, at first blush, it would appear this might be a low cost replacement for my aging sky caddie.  So I thought I'd post this and see if anyone out there has used this apt and has any thoughts they would like to share. 

Butch

18 minutes ago, ghalfaire said:

I see this is an old thread. I recently obtained an I7 phone and downloaded the apt "SwingXSwing".   I just downloaded the basic apt and not the extension for stats that you have to pay for.  I might do that if I like the apt.  My first, and only so far, use showed that the yardage was always consistent with the marking on the home course and the pictures are, I assume, satellite views of the hole you're playing.  As you get closer to the green the view zooms in some.  Anyway, at first blush, it would appear this might be a low cost replacement for my aging sky caddie.  So I thought I'd post this and see if anyone out there has used this apt and has any thoughts they would like to share. 

I've used that one, and it worked OK for me.  I just didn't like handling my phone that much while playing, and it was a bit of a wait each time I needed to "wake up" the phone.  I use a laser most times for distances, combined with course markings where available.  Continual GPS use can burn a lot  of battery, but you can always get a small backup battery to extend the life of the system.  Also, lots of newer golf carts have USB charging ports, so you could simply plug your phone in.  

Dave

:callaway: Rogue SubZero Driver

:titleist: 915F 15 Fairway, 816 H1 19 Hybrid, AP2 4 iron to PW, Vokey 52, 56, and 60 wedges, ProV1 balls 
:ping: G5i putter, B60 version
 :ping:Hoofer Bag, complete with Newport Cup logo
:footjoy::true_linkswear:, and Ashworth shoes

the only thing wrong with this car is the nut behind the wheel.

I use the Hole19 app for my iphone.   It works really well.   As DaveP said, these things can be a pain if you have to take your phone out on every shot.   But, then I got myself an apple watch and all issues are solved.   works really nicely.  just glance at your watch any time you need distance to front/back/middle.  and entering score, putts, fairway hit in between holes is really quick and easy.  

:tmade:  - SIM2 - Kuro Kage silver 60 shaft
:cobra:  - F9 3W, 15 degree - Fukijara Atmos white tour spec stiff flex shaft

:tmade: - M2 hybrid, 19 degree
:tmade: - GAPR 3 iron - 18degree
:mizuno: MP-H5 4-5 iron, MP-25 6-8 iron, MP-5 9-PW

Miura - 1957 series k-grind - 56 degree
:bettinardi: - 52 degree
:titleist: - Scotty Cameron Newport 2 - Putter

check out my swing here

Note: This thread is 2556 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!