IGNORED

My Swing (DrivingRangeJunkie)

DrivingRangeJunkie
Note: This thread is 4384 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

no, you should not use the same swing for each iron. here is a simple guide to follow:

AH HA. Ok that clears it all up for me, the key is stand farther away from the ball with longer irons and closer with shorter ones. Most of the time I stand the same distance with each iron away from the ball. Thanks for the link, it really helped alot.

Be careful not to lay the clubhead off because you are in danger of hitting all kinds of weird shots. Your swing is basically not bad but I would suggest that if you have access to a computer, check out Jack Nicklaus on YouTube. That is the swing you should be trying to emulate. His fundamentals are nearly flawless. Also check out Tom Watson..he was a great iron player!! I don't suggest watching Tiger Woods not because he's not a great player but because he does things we mere mortals will probably never achieve! It looks like you're pretty strong so don't forget to use that lower body to achieve power..don't swing the club with you hands on the downswing let you body leg muscles do the talking!! Work on balance, grip, steady head. The waggle you use is pretty extreme and I would suggest cutting down on that..just take a couple of nice loose practice swings and when you get ready to hit the ball a small waggle is ok but the main focus should be staying relaxed in your forearms and grip pressure..if you get tense in the hands it will destroy your swing.

Be careful not to lay the clubhead off because you are in danger of hitting all kinds of weird shots. Your swing is basically not bad but I would suggest that if you have access to a computer, check out Jack Nicklaus on YouTube. That is the swing you should be trying to emulate. His fundamentals are nearly flawless. Also check out Tom Watson..he was a great iron player!! I don't suggest watching Tiger Woods not because he's not a great player but because he does things we mere mortals will probably never achieve! It looks like you're pretty strong so don't forget to use that lower body to achieve power..don't swing the club with you hands on the downswing let you body leg muscles do the talking!! Work on balance, grip, steady head. The waggle you use is pretty extreme and I would suggest cutting down on that..just take a couple of nice loose practice swings and when you get ready to hit the ball a small waggle is ok but the main focus should be staying relaxed in your forearms and grip pressure..if you get tense in the hands it will destroy your swing.

Yes, I agree my waggle isn't exactly something I would use on the course, but I needed to hit a nice long straight one for the camera, and I usually take my time in my set up to do it. But I will try to shorten in so I can get used to a shorter waggle and build a good set up routine. Thanks!

do you know all your yardages yet? (how far you hit each iron)

Yes for the most part, if the yardages at the range are accurate:

PW: ~110 yards 9 iron: ~130 yards 8 iron: ~140 yards 7 iron: ~150 yards 6 iron: ~160 yards 5 iron: ~170 yards 4 iron: ~180 yards I think these are about right.

Yes for the most part, if the yardages at the range are accurate:

yeah, those look like good #'s. so you havent played on a course at all yet? what kind of equipment are you using? (woods, irons, wedges, putter...just curious).

yeah, those look like good #'s. so you havent played on a course at all yet? what kind of equipment are you using? (woods, irons, wedges, putter...just curious).

I've played maybe 3 times on a course. Once for the high school golf team, once with my friend and once by myself, and I can't seem to get myself to do very well, I think its just nerves. My bag consists of:

Taylormade Burner 9.5 degree stiff shaft Cleveland Sport 19 degree fairway wood stiff shaft Powerbilt TPS Irons 4-9 graphite shafts Acuity Gap wedge 52 degree Callaway X-12 PW and SW Old Ping Anser 2i Putter Ball: Precept Laddie, Callaway IX tour (still haven't used yet, saving them for when I get better) Bag: Izzo Green Nike golf bag I plan on playing a round tomorrow, I'll let you guys know what I shoot.

yeah, that is a great video

I've seen it a couple times already, thanks for the link though! So according to the video, I should be starting the backswing with a rotation of my chest and shoulders instead of my hands? I can't seem to do it very fast, its kind of hard to get used to. I'll try to work on it.

I've seen it a couple times already, thanks for the link though! So according to the video, I should be starting the backswing with a rotation of my chest and shoulders instead of my hands? I can't seem to do it very fast, its kind of hard to get used to. I'll try to work on it.

LOL, you will find you have 2 swings, your range swing which is usually a nice supple, smooth swing and you course swing which you will usually hold on to the shot trying to steer it.

Nothing wrong with the range, but its not the course. IMO the best practice place is the course b/c thats the swing you need to become familar with. After you have golfed for a couple of years you will know your swing idiosyncracies and will be able to do some self diagnosing if you are serious. Good luck and enjoy the game, and its just that, a game.

What ^ he said is completely correct
Driver Tit 907D2 9.5 aldila spec grid 67s
HybidTit 585H 19* s flex
IronsTit 775cb 3-pw
WedgesTit vokey 52* 56* 60*
Putter Rife Barbados 35" winn mid pistol gripGolfballBridgestone B330-s/taylormade tp black/titleist prov1x

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 years later...
Note: This thread is 4384 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!