IGNORED

Overlap vs Interlock vs Baseball Grips

Note: This thread is 4006 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

It should look something like this:

See how the golfer uses a "short" left thumb.

The only thing I would probably switch about this golfer's left thumb placement is I would have it resting on the side of the shaft...the right side for a right handed golfer. This makes the grip a little stronger, but I think it gives the golfer a bit more control and power. Hogan's grip was considered neutral, but by today's standards it would be probably considered a weak grip. Hogan got away with it because he had such a problem with hooking the ball that once he went to that grip it helped stop the hooks and the rest is history.

3JACK

• Replies 179
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Thanks to both of you, this was exactly my question.
Bag: Flight SS
Driver: 10.5* r5 draw with Pro Launch blue 65 Stiff
Irons: CCi Forged 3i-pw
Wedges: 56* CG12 black pearl and 60* low bounce RTG 900
Putter: i-Series Anser 35"Ball: e5+Tee: Zero FrictionGlove: FootJoy WeatherSofRangefinder: MedalistShoes: Sp-6 II, Adidas 360Scores this year:92 91...

• 10 months later...
Pro and cons of both? I was told that going to the overlap it will make my hands quieter at the bottom of the swing? Now I have a big issue with flipping at the bottom? Anyone have experience with changing between the two grips? Thanks.

In my bag:
MP 57's 4-PW KBS Stiff
Ping G 20 10.5* Stiff
Taylormade V Steel 3 and 5 wood

Bridgestone J33 R Hybrid 21* NV Shaft
Mizuno MP Quad Cut 52* and 56* Spinner Shafts

Scotty Cameron Newport Two TeI3

USUALLY.... If you have "short" fingers use the interlock grip.

If you have long fingers, use the overlap grip.

It's really not good to switch back and forth between grips. Pick one and stick with it. Using either grip will eventually cause you (because you are human) to fall into bad habits. Pay attention to all your fundamentals including your grip when you are playing.

Good Luck!

interlocking is the only grip that feels comfortable to me now... when i first picked up a club before my first lesson... i had a baseball grip going... after my lesson its been interlocking ever since... overlapping makes my right pinkie finger hurt after awhile
RUSS's avg drive - 230yrds and climbing

Interlock for me. Tried both for reasonable periods but always thought interlocking felt more secure throughout my swing.

Home Course: Wollaton Park GC, Nottingham, U.K.

Ping G400, 9°, Alta CB 55S | Ping G400, 14°, Alta CB 65S | Adams Pro Dhy 18°, 21°, 24°, KBS Hybrid S | Ping S55 5-PW, TT DGS300 | Vokey 252-08, DGS200 | Vokey 256-10 (bent to 58°), DGS200 | Ping Sigma G Anser, 34" | Vice Pro Plus

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

Interlock for me.

I started with overlap, but it hurt the base joint of my right pinkie finger.

In my Tour Combo Bag:

Driver: Superquad 9.5°
5W: 2008 Burner 18°
3H: Idea Pro Gold 20°4H: 2008 Burner Rescue 22°Irons: MP52 R300 5-PWedges: Vokey SM 50.08, 54.11, 58.04, 60.11Putter: Itsy Bitsy SpiderBall: TP Red

Interlock. I've got dinky little fingers and it's what works best for me.

In David's bag....

Driver: Titleist 910 D-3;  9.5* Diamana Kai'li
3-Wood: Titleist 910F;  15* Diamana Kai'li
Hybrids: Titleist 910H 19* and 21* Diamana Kai'li
Irons: Titleist 695cb 5-Pw

Wedges: Scratch 51-11 TNC grind, Vokey SM-5's;  56-14 F grind and 60-11 K grind
Putter: Scotty Cameron Kombi S
Ball: ProV1

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

Well looks like I will have to go hit a bucket trying the interlock? Now when/if you made the switch to the interlock grip what kind of differences did you notice? Better ball striking? ??? I've very curious, thanks.

In my bag:
MP 57's 4-PW KBS Stiff
Ping G 20 10.5* Stiff

Flopdarock and Range King,

If your right pinkie gets sore while using the overlap grip you are probably gripping the club the wrong way. The right pinkie should be applying very little to no pressure during the swing. The pressure points in a correct grip for a right hander should be:

Left Hand: pinkie, ring, and middle fingers
Right Hand: ring and middle fingers

The rest of the fingers should be applying very little pressure except maybe the right index finger (near impact).

If you've been gripping the club with all 10 fingers then these pressure points will feel pretty uncomfortable for awhile. But once you get away from gripping the club with all 10 fingers your wrists will feel more relaxed and you will probably swing better.

Having said that I think each golfer should use what works for them. I've pretty much decided on the overlap grip, but sometimes find myself switching back and forth.

Jake

Interlock as a kid, overlap now. Anyone notice Furyk's to fingered overlap? Ring finger and pinky on top of the left hand.

yes... I have seen that... very odd

I am an interlocker, always have been, always will be!
My Clubs: Callaway FT-i Tour LCG 9.5° w/ Matrix Ozik Xcon 6 stiff; Sonartec GS Tour 14° w/ Graphite Design Red Ice 70 stiff; Adams Idea Pro 2h(18°) & 3h(20°) w/ Aldila VS Proto 80 stiff; Adams Idea Pro Forged 4-PW w/ TT Black Gold stiff; Cleveland CG12 DSG RTG 52°-10° & 58°-10°; Odyssey...

I recently switched from an interlock to an overlap grip. It defintely hurts your pinky at first but after awhile it goes away. I know tiger uses the interlocking grip and like many people thats why I started using it. However, I practiced putting and chipping so much with the overlapping grip that it started to seem like I had more feel in my hands with the overlap.

I have seen a demonstration though that shows the the tendancy with a interlocking grip is to close the clubface which probably helps most people. If anything I'd say its a lot easier to apply a death grip with the interlock and the overlap discourages excessive grip pressure.

I have seen a demonstration though that shows the the tendancy with a interlocking grip is to close the clubface which probably helps most people.

You hit the nail on the head. When I use an interlock grip I always feel like I am closing the clubface too much.

Jake

Both work, both have been used with success at all levels. It comes down to personal choice and what feels most comfortable. What is more important than overlap or interlock is the position of the hands on the club in the right place. Generally, you want the Vs formed by your thumb and forefinger to point somewhere between your right ear and right shoulder if you are right handed.

There is an old saying from Harvey Penick that goes "You'll never see a good golfer with a bad grip, and you'll never see a bad golfer with a good grip."

In my Srixon staff bag:

Driver: Titleist 909D2 8.5 - Grafalloy Epic X
Fairway: Adams RPM LP 13 degree - Grafalloy Epic X
Hybrids: Adams Idea Pro 18 degree - DGSL X100Irons: MacGregor 1025M 3-PW - DG X100SW: Titleist Vokey Spin Milled 54 - DG X100LW: Titleist Vokey Spin Milled 58 - DG X100Putter...

Flopdarock and Range King,

its not the pressure... its the elevated position... its like when chicks hold their pinky out when sipping tea... there is no pressure... thats what it feels like to me... it just gets uncomfy... interlocking is like your hands are one... and it just feels more comfy... baseball grip just feels alien after sooo many years of a correct grip

RUSS's avg drive - 230yrds and climbing

If anything I'd say its a lot easier to apply a death grip with the interlock and the overlap discourages excessive grip pressure.

See now I was told that the overlap creates more of the squeez of the grip and I should try the interlock because it will lighten up my grip pressure...wow i'm confused...

In my bag:
MP 57's 4-PW KBS Stiff
Ping G 20 10.5* Stiff

Note: This thread is 4006 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!