IGNORED

Phil gives us another thrill--63--is he getting ready for Tiger?

PEZGolf
Note: This thread is 5561 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

Look, we've had Phil and Tiger for the past 12 years and there hasn't been any kind of rivalry. Zero, zilch. I have an extremely hard time buying that one will start now. Phil getting ready for Tiger? Funny. Tiger getting ready for Phil? Even funnier.

Driver: Cobra S2 9.5 Fubuki 73 Stiff | Wood: Titleist 909H 17 Aldila Voodoo Stiff | Irons: Titleist ZB 3-5, ZM 6-PW DG S300 | Wedges: Titleist Vokey SMTC 50.08, 54.11, 60.04 DG S200 | Putter: Scotty Cameron Fastback 1.5 33" | Ball: Titleist Pro V1x

A gritty comeback, and Phil wins. Not many players would have had the mental toughness to do it under the same circumstances. So much for a second round (or for that matter, final round) collapse.

This kind of inconsistency won't serve him well next week, though. It will be interesting to see if he can keep it under control.

Good win by Phil today. His potential to 'collapse' does give his competitors hope when he's ahead of them - he didn't dispel that notion this weekend. I'm not a Phil fan at all but I admire a man that can falter, no fall on his face, in front of millions and keep coming back and actually succeed. 99.99% of the population don't have the balls to do something like that. That's really what part of him I look at because Tiger is on some other ish with respect to this quality and I can't relate to him at all in that regard.

A gritty comeback, and Phil wins. Not many players would have had the mental toughness to do it under the same circumstances.

Phil <> mental toughness.

This kind of inconsistency won't serve him well next week, though. It will be interesting to see if he can keep it under control.

I'm betting against it...for the reason you've stated.

Fairways and Greens.

Dave

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

Good win by Phil today. His potential to 'collapse' does give his competitors hope when he's ahead of them - he didn't dispel that notion this weekend. I'm not a Phil fan at all but I admire a man that can falter, no fall on his face, in front of millions and keep coming back and actually succeed. 99.99% of the population don't have the balls to do something like that. That's really what part of him I look at because Tiger is on some other ish with respect to this quality and I can't relate to him at all in that regard.

Good post, and I agree with you. In my thread, I wrote about watching Phil is a real roller coaster ride, and he did it again--in the tournament itself with two great rounds of 63 and 62 and two mediocre rounds. Of course, today's round was a wild ride with a spectacular finish. Certainly not boring. Can Phil beat Tiger? Possibly yes, and probably not, but it would be fun to watch-------------BUT they both would have to keep winning matches before they could go head to head. I like match play and am looking forward to this week.

Mitch Pezdek------Dash Aficionado and Legend in My Own Mind

WOW! Did I see what I thought I saw? Phil hit a 3 metal off the last tee yesterday, to put the tee shot in the fairway! Is he finally getting smart? Remember that awful tee shot in the 2006 US Open at Winged Foot. He threw the tournament away with that shot and the over-daring second. If he is going to start doing good course management, I have one reaction---nice going, and it is about time!

I'm not sure it was course management or the fact that he gave up on the driver. Smart move yesterday, but the reality is he can't be the #1 player in the world hitting only 3 wood off the tee. I'm sure he will be working hard on his driver issues.

I'm down to a 10 handicap. At this rate, I'll get to scratch at 90 years old!

WOW! Did I see what I thought I saw? Phil hit a 3 metal off the last tee yesterday, to put the tee shot in the fairway! Is he finally getting smart? Remember that awful tee shot in the 2006 US Open at Winged Foot. He threw the tournament away with that shot and the over-daring second. If he is going to start doing good course management, I have one reaction---nice going, and it is about time!

I dont think he is going for less risk in his shots - just go back a couple of holes, where he drove himself into the left rough. Instead of going sideways or for the bigger gap, he choses the smallest gap with the most direct line and the biggest risk.

If this ball would have been just a tick more left or higher, he would have ended with double bogey instead of par. Thats not smart course management, thats just gambling.

Burner 9°
FW Burner 15°
Burner Rescue 19°
MP67 4-PW
CG10 50° CG12 DSG 54° & 60°

I'm not sure it was course management or the fact that he gave up on the driver. Smart move yesterday, but the reality is he can't be the #1 player in the world hitting only 3 wood off the tee. I'm sure he will be working hard on his driver issues.

You are right about constant use of the 3 metal. Didn't Phil try that in the US Open at Torrey Pines last year, and found out he gave up too much yardage to the competition?

I don't think he gave up on his driver on #18, because he had just blistered one on #17 with the driver. I think he knew he needed a par, and the best shot was the 3 wood.
play4him

Driver: Titleist 905R
3-Wood: Titleist 904F
Hybrid: Titleist 585 19 DegreeIrons: TitleistWedges (PW,Gap,SW,Lob): TitleistPutter: Bettinardi C04

Good post, and I agree with you. In my thread, I wrote about watching Phil is a real roller coaster ride, and he did it again--in the tournament itself with two great rounds of 63 and 62 and two mediocre rounds. Of course, today's round was a wild ride with a spectacular finish. Certainly not boring. Can Phil beat Tiger? Possibly yes, and probably not, but it would be fun to watch-------------BUT they both would have to keep winning matches before they could go head to head. I like match play and am looking forward to this week.

Phil's round was a train wreck. Other than the first hole, he did nothing until what, 17? Shooting 72 on Sunday is not what I would call spectacular. Dropping another 62 or 63 on the field would be. If he doesn't shoot 62 on Thursday and 63 on Saturday, where would Phil be? Middle of the pack.

Other than brief periods of his career when he won his majors, we've never seem much in the way of "good course management" from Phil and given that history, why would expect him to start now? If other guys are blowing their drives way past him, his ego is going to come into play and he'll spray the driver all over the place.

You are right about constant use of the 3 metal. Didn't Phil try that in the US Open at Torrey Pines last year, and found out he gave up too much yardage to the competition?

That plus some other bone-headed moves.

Is he ready for Tiger? No. Is there a rivalry between the two (or "rivalry renewed" as the PGA Tour website wishes)? No. Maybe Phil will prove me wrong and I'll gladly eat crow if so but based on his history, I'm doubting it.

Alan Olson

Follow The Sand Trap on Twitter!
Check out our Facebook page!

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

He tried it indeed - for the first two rounds. He couldnt hit fairways with his "strong 3 metal (11°)" anyways plus, he gave up distance. So on Saturday the driver was back in the bag.

That US Open week, he hit around 45 % fairways - field average was 58%.

Burner 9°
FW Burner 15°
Burner Rescue 19°
MP67 4-PW
CG10 50° CG12 DSG 54° & 60°

Phil's good for a thrill. Too bad there's almost no consistency in his game.

Yeah he swings hard and Its fun to watch but to answer your question Pez.. I wouldnt be surprised if Phil went right back to doggin' it again this week.

: 905R 9.5*
904f 15*
Baffler DWS 20*
eye 2
spin milled 54*, Vokey 58* White Hot XG #9 Pro V1x

Real competition for Woods is going to come from the likes of Danny Lee and Rory McIlroy, not from Phil or Ernie or Retief, or even Sergio.

SubPar

Real competition for Woods is going to come from the likes of Danny Lee and Rory McIlroy, not from Phil or Ernie or Retief, or even Sergio.

Thats very true....the high profile players have got a sort of Tiger Phobia now as most of them have caved in when the Feline Prince is in the field or close to the top of the leaderboard. As for Phil, he is great entertainment but too much of a sensitive soul to really take on TW. The younger players coming through know no fear and have got the talent to take on TW without the mental scars that some of the others like Sergio have.

Personally, Id love to see Phil knock Tiger off his perch but there are some who would not like to see this happen due to his FIGJAM personality (@@@@ Im Good Just Ask Me!).

Note: This thread is 5561 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!