IGNORED

Wie at the 84 Lumber Classic

iacas
Note: This thread is 6575 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

• Administrator
Michelle Wie has been invited to play (and will play) in this year's 84 Lumber Classic. Full story here .

I hope she does play. It'll be interesting to see how a relatively short hitter with an often balky putter and not the best control out of the rough manages to play one of the more brutal regular-event courses on the PGA Tour.

I played there , and if she can take advantage of every short hole and if she can avoid ALL the trouble all week, she should shoot around even par, I believe. After all, Mystic Rock has a 78.1 rating and 151 slope. That's tough.

Erik J. Barzeski —  I knock a ball. It goes in a gopher hole. 🏌🏼‍♂️
Director of Instruction Golf Evolution • Owner, The Sand Trap .com • AuthorLowest Score Wins
Golf Digest "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17 & "Best in State" 2017-20 • WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019 :edel: :true_linkswear:

Check Out: New Topics | TST Blog | Golf Terms | Instructional Content | Analyzr | LSW | Instructional Droplets

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

WOW that slope/rating is very high...I almost wish that she would not be invited b/c hell, can I go play the LPGA tour? Can Tiger go play it? That is my opinion, but congratulations to her for being good enough to be invited to the 84. GL
What's In The Bag?

Driver - Rapture 10.5 Epic 68g X-Pure - Balance Certified
Fairway Metal - Titleist PT 18°
Irons - Mizuno MP-67 3-PW Project X 6.0 Wedges - Mizunos R Series Chrome 52°, 56°, 58° Project X 6.0 Putter - Yes! C-Groove Callie-f - Balance Certified Bag - Ping Freestyle...

I think it was Stuart Appleby who said next year hes gonna put on a skirt and go and play one of the women's events. Maybe the U.S Open
Driver-Taylor Made R7 460cc 10.5* Fujikara REAX Stiff
Fairway Wood-Taylor Made R7 Draw 15* Fujikara REAX Stiff
Hybrid Taylor Made 19* Rescue Mid Steel Stiff
4-PW-Golfsmith G40 TT Lite XL Stiff
GW-Ben Hogan Riviera 8* Bounce 50*SW-Ben Hogan Riviera Medium Bounce 56*LW-Cleveland 60* 588 ChromePutter-Taylo...

I tend to get a bit overly upset when it comes to Michelle. I will only say, I hope she never plays in another mens event ever, but since that is unlikely to happen I hope she she blows up and shoots 90!

Danny    In my :ping: Hoofer Tour golf bag on my :clicgear: 8.0 Cart

Driver:   :pxg: 0311 Gen 5  X-Stiff.                        Irons:  :callaway: 4-PW APEX TCB Irons 
3 Wood: :callaway: Mavrik SZ Rogue X-Stiff                            Nippon Pro Modus 130 X-Stiff
3 Hybrid: :callaway: Mavrik Pro KBS Tour Proto X   Wedges: :vokey:  50°, 54°, 60° 
Putter: :odyssey:  2-Ball Ten Arm Lock        Ball: :titleist: ProV 1

I don't understand why she is being invited to all these men's tournaments when she can't even win a women's tournament.

TIP: Michelle...win a LPGA tournament before you go to the men's tour.
What's In The Bag?

Irons - Mizuno MP-67 3-PW Project X 6.0 Wedges - Mizunos R Series Chrome 52°, 56°, 58° Project X 6.0 Putter - Yes! C-Groove Callie-f - Balance Certified Bag - Ping Freestyle...

• Administrator
I don't understand why she is being invited to all these men's tournaments when she can't even win a women's tournament.

Because she can be invited and because she can accept.

It makes sense for tournament directors to ask her (increased media buzz for the tournament, the sponsors, etc.) and it makes sense for her to attend (increased media butzz for her, her sponsors, etc.).

Director of Instruction Golf Evolution • Owner, The Sand Trap .com • AuthorLowest Score Wins
Golf Digest "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17 & "Best in State" 2017-20 • WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019 :edel: :true_linkswear:

Check Out: New Topics | TST Blog | Golf Terms | Instructional Content | Analyzr | LSW | Instructional Droplets

Just kinda angers me that she is invited to these events simply for the media, not b/c she is the best LPGA player ( which she is far from it), she hasn't won any tournaments, and I think she may have 1 top 5 finish. If Annika was invited I would have a different perspective b/c she has 9 majors under her belt and multiple tournament wins. Just because she is not a teen phenom anymore doesn't mean that Wie should get to play in a tournament before Annika. If Annika turned down this invitation first and I didn't know that then i'm sorry, but it angers me that Wie is able to play in these tournaments with no big credentials. My opinion, you may disagree with me. :)
What's In The Bag?

As iacas put it, it's really all about the money. Money for the tourney (increased gate and buzz even if they're going away in 07) and money for Wie should she make the cut and, even if not, for her sugar daddy Nike. I personally think it stinks that a spot for somebody who could use a chance at the money is taken away. Not that she cares. Which is why I wouldn't walk across the street to see her play.

Jack Waddell
The Sand Trap .com

In My Bag (for now):TaylorMade Burner 9.5 REAX 50 stiffBobby Jones 3W, Fuji TP 26.3 stiffAdams Idea Pro 2, 3, 4 Iron hybrids, Aldila VS Proto stiffAdams Idea Pro Forged 5-PW, TT Black Gold stiffTitleist Vokey 252.08 Tour ChromeTitleist Vokey Spin Milled 58.08...

I'm split on this. On one hand, you have the sponsors who have every right to invite whomever they want to the tournament to get the biggest draw.

On the other hand, you have someone taking up a spot some other pro would jump at the chance to have. Not only that, but as Neudi says, Wie isn't even the best female golfer in the world. I'd much rather see Annika out there because, in my opinion, she has the best chance to make the cut and be somewhat competitive.

I'll root for Wie...in the LPGA events. I really want to see her try and go through Q-School and see what happens...but what's the point if she is going to keep getting a handful of sposnsors exemptions every year?

Fairways and Greens.

Dave

• Administrator
I'm just tired of hearing how long she is. She averages like 270 yards. That's Fred Funk distance.

I am playing in the pub links this year and last year she came up here to play at shaker run...im hoping to make it far enough to be able to play match play with her and maybe against her...I want to see where I stand as compared to her.
What's In The Bag?

• Administrator
I am playing in the pub links this year and last year she came up here to play at shaker run...im hoping to make it far enough to be able to play match play with her and maybe against her...I want to see where I stand as compared to her.

She's a professional now. She won't be playing in the Pub Links.

UGGGG IACAS YOU RUIN ALL MY FUN...lol...good point. :(
What's In The Bag?

Maybe it's just me, but I've seen Michelle Wie in a couple of interviews and she seems as dumb as a bag of hammers. I realize she's young and probably not real media savvy, but still, Paula Creamer comes across as young and perky without seeming stupid.

Obviously I'm not a fan. I understand Iacas' point about her being given sponsors' exemptions because of the media (and fan) interest; I guess I'm wishing the fanbase was a bit more discerning than that, and that the market to watch her eternal quest to MAKE THE FREAKING CUT IN A MEN'S TOUR EVENT wasn't there.

Since she's going to be playing in these events for the foreseeable future, I'm petty and mean enough to root for her humiliation.

"My swing is so bad I look like a caveman killing his lunch." ~Lee Trevino

Currently playing Maltby C.E.R. 701u

Build your own...Total cost of my complete set of golf clubs: 500 bucks.Beating a guy who sports a $2000 bag of : priceless.

• Administrator
Maybe it's just me, but I've seen Michelle Wie in a couple of interviews and she seems as dumb as a bag of hammers. I realize she's young and probably not real media savvy, but still, Paula Creamer comes across as young and perky without seeming stupid.

Jeff (Smith) and I have said the same thing a few times on the podcast.

Since she's going to be playing in these events for the foreseeable future, I'm petty and mean enough to root for her humiliation.

If it will happen, it may be at that course... On the bright side, if she shoots a pair of rounds in the 80s, then we may not see her in another men's event for awhile... except she's sponsored by Sony, so she'll be in that one.

Maybe it's just me, but I've seen Michelle Wie in a couple of interviews and she seems as dumb as a bag of hammers.

Wie comes off like she's still in elementary school. Maybe its the fact that she's been sheltered but yeah, her intellect could use a little polish.

Jeff

10.5° Callaway FT-iZ Tour

18°, 20°, 23° Adams Idea Pro Prototype Hybrid

4-9 Titleist 690.CB
48° Titleist Vokey Tour Nickel
54°, 58° Titleist Vokey Tour Oil Can

Scotty Cameron NP2, 33"

• Administrator

Rafi reads this as: Michelle Wie could use a little Polish.

As in the country. And Rafi, being from Poland, would gladly donate some sausage.

Note: This thread is 6575 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!