IGNORED

Mickelson - IV Drip - Opinions?

nevets88
Note: This thread is 5539 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

You hear all the time how athletes use the ER to get a bag or two of saline into them. Does this seem excessive?

I am not a medical professional, but my daughter is an EMT. The one fact that some people are overlooking is that Phil had food poisoning. Vomiting, failure to eat or drink enough, combined with heat can lead to dehydration. Granted he was playing golf, and NOT doing a strenuous activity, but the combination that I described is enough to cause problems requiring IV's. Was not Michelle Wie taken off the golf course last year in a tournament due to heat exhaustion? And she is much younger than Phil, and I do not believe that she had food poisoning. I did have that condition once, and I could not believe how sick I was for 24 hours. It is one of the worst experiences of my life.

Mitch Pezdek------Dash Aficionado and Legend in My Own Mind

.....and when that happens, the quickest, most effective way to rehydrate is through IV liquid, not by drinking.

Yes because if you drink water, then it takes time for the water to diffuse through the stomach and small intestine, then enter the blood stream, then rehydrate the body. If you have an IV, it bypasses the diffusing (about 1-2 hours) and straight to rehydrating the body.

Phil is in top physical shape.

i would disagree. tiger is someone who would be in top physical shape. and im not saying that phil is in bad shape, hes just not in top form. he is actually in pretty decent shape considering what he used to look like.

Colin P.

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

As an aside (and not Phil's problem)It is the most amazing treatment for a bad hangover!

maybe Phil was hanging with Daly the night before and just needed some ole hair of the dog.

In my bag are
Hibore XLS 10.5*
Hibore XLS 22* 3i Hybrid
TA7 irons 3-PW, SW
CG11 60* LW VP #5 putter.

The reason for IV is that it is isotonic, meaning the tonicity is the same as the blood, therefore it stays in the veins longer...
If taking fluids by mouth, there is a chance that you can get water intoxication leading to hyponatremia (low blood sodium), leading to confusion

I think Phil is just a "puss" I`m sure a lot of other athletes have to go thru this,but don`t bring it up to the media. Looks like Tiger`s game`s getting back- I hope Tiger rips him a new one,and he will!

Note: This thread is 5539 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!