IGNORED

Jack vs. Tiger: Who's the Greatest Golfer?

sungho_kr

Greatest Golfer (GOAT)  

218 members have voted

1. 1. Tiger or Jack: Who's the greatest golfer?

• Tiger Woods is the man
    • Jack Nicklaus is my favorite

I think Tiger is better, Jack's short game has never been as good as Tiger's, that being said I didn't see Jack in his prime so really I'm comparing apples to oranges.

In my Walter Hagen T3 stand bag

Driver- Walter Hagen T3 10.5   3-Wood- Walter Hagen T3   Hybrids- Walter Hagen T3 3i-5i   Irons- Walter Hagen T3 6-PW   Wedge- Walter Hagen T3 56*  Putter- Walter Hagen T3   Ball-   RAW Distance Straight

Please explain how this makes him a better golfer than Jack.

The first sentence was my answer. The second was reasons why. I was merely pointing out that he may have an advantage over Jack, not that the technology makes him better. I was just joining in on a

subjective discussion. The poster who said we need to wait till Tiger's career is over is correct; I'm willing to bet when the jury comes back it will be Tiger who reigns supreme.

The first sentence was my answer. The second was reasons why. I was merely pointing out that he may have an advantage over Jack, not that the technology makes him better. I was just joining in on a

A reason is a part of an explanation. I agree that we have to wait on Tiger, I stated earlier that at this point in their careers Tiger has done a little bit more, and he's got plenty of time left. But the equipment bit is irrelevant, it gives Tiger no kind of advantage-his competition has access to the very same equipment. Just as Jack's competition did.

Speaking of equipment, in their prime, they're both famous for playing an inferior ball (Nike and Tourney - or at least that's the rumour) so relative to the pack, they're even awesomer.

Mizuno MP600 driver, Cleveland '09 Launcher 3-wood, Callaway FTiz 18 degree hybrid, Cleveland TA1 3-9, Scratch SS8620 47, 53, 58, Cleveland Classic 2 mid-mallet, Bridgestone B330S, Sun Mountain four5.

That is like apples to oranges, how can you compare the two guys. Look at the golf equipment used in Jack days compared to today’s high quality equipment, not even close!!!! Put today’s high quality Clubs/Drivers in Jacks hands when he was playing prime golf and see what the outcome would of been, I believe Jack would of broke all the records in the book. Now let Tiger play in real time with Jacks clubs from that era and I am sure we would see a whole different Tiger. No comparison at all……only my opinion

Sticks-In-The-Bag

R9 Driver 9.5
R9 3 & 5 Fairway
Rescues 3 & 4 Hybrids Burner 4-PW Irons Tp 52, 56, 60 Wedges Rossa Putter

Your comment about equipment is so wrong. Jack's equipment were inferior but so were those of his opponents.

Many people long for the good old days. They would argue Jack or Arnold were better than Tiger and Phil and that Magic Johnson, Larry Bird are superior to Lebron and Kobe. Usually, the longing for the 'good old day' involve sports that performance can't be measured objectively. For all the sports that can be timed or measured, current athletes are much better. You don't hear people arguing that past long jumpers, runners, swimmers are better than current ones. The reason is that current jumpers, runners, and swimmers are clearly much better and have the numbers to prove it. You don't hear people arguing the Jesse Owens was better than Usain Bolt. And I would argue that current golfers are better too. The reason that current atheletes are better is because of better training and more competition. Scientific based trainings, In every sports, the use of technologies and scientific studies in training have improved performance. More competition, During Jack and Arnold time, how many people in the world played golf? 10 to 20 million? The current number of golfers in the world is probably about 60 million. So Jack had to be better than 15 million golfers, but Tiger has to be better than 60 million golfers. Statistically speaking, it is much tougher.
That is like apples to oranges, how can you compare the two guys. Look at the golf equipment used in Jack days compared to today’s high quality equipment, not even close!!!! Put today’s high quality Clubs/Drivers in Jacks hands when he was playing prime golf and see what the outcome would of been, I believe Jack would of broke all the records in the book. Now let Tiger play in real time with Jacks clubs from that era and I am sure we would see a whole different Tiger. No comparison at all……only my opinion

This is nonsense.

I wasn't around for Jack's prime, but I think that Tiger is the better golfer. If he can get his act together and win some more majors there certainly shouldn't be any doubt that Tiger is indeed a better golfer.

Your comment about equipment is so wrong. Jack's equipment were inferior but so were those of his opponents.

Some much needed common sense in this thread. Great post.

I root for Jack to keep the record, but acknowledge what Tiger has accomplished, which is a dominance through his mid-30's that no one has matched.

More competition,

khale, you bring up some good arguments, but you might want to rethink this one. All Jack and Tiger had/have to do is beat the golfers who are capable of beating them. Even if your numbers are correct about the total number of people playing golf then and now, only maybe 100 are capable of beating either one in their time, and only 20-30 were/are serious threats.

Now maybe we can quibble a bit over my estimates, but in Jack's day I ranked 18,469,734 in the world, and I currently rank 6,390,527. I don't think I ever made it tougher for anyone who plays golf professionally.