IGNORED

Jack vs. Tiger: Who's the Greatest Golfer?

sungho_kr

Greatest Golfer (GOAT)  

218 members have voted

1. 1. Tiger or Jack: Who's the greatest golfer?

• Tiger Woods is the man
    • Jack Nicklaus is my favorite

And the courses are longer and everybody else is playing the same technology. How does that make it easier for Tiger?

What dont you understand!! you keep on talking about everyone else, Who cares about the rest of the pro's this is only between Tiger & Jack you keep on getting hung up on that. Read the topic "Jack or Tiger: Who the greatest"

Sticks-In-The-Bag

R9 Driver 9.5
R9 3 & 5 Fairway
Rescues 3 & 4 Hybrids Burner 4-PW Irons Tp 52, 56, 60 Wedges Rossa Putter

What dont you understand!! you keep on talking about everyone else, Who cares about the rest of the pro's this is only between Tiger & Jack you keep on getting hung up on that. Read the topic "Jack or Tiger: Who the greatest"

If we are deciding who is better, or "the greatest" obviously we are looking at the tournaments they won, how often, when, etc. In order to win a tournament, you have to beat all the other players in the field. They are called the

competition . I'd ask you what you don't understand, but why waste my time?

If you put Tiger against Jack, both in their prime, Tiger would win. But Jack was the more consistent and enduring golfer. Even when he didn't win, he was always on the leader board. You can't say that about Tiger...he is either in 1st place or no place.

Is this post from the early 2000's or something? Tiger is INCREDIBLY consistent. Hes MUCH more consistent than he has ever been. Aside from this year hes almost always top 10 top 20. His early career was definitely feast or famine, but not anymore.

That's like comparing Borg Mac or Laver to Federer. Major equip. changes and athletes approach to fitness, etc.. Tiger has a great start on the record books though.

The greatest tournament that I ever watched was Jack's Sunday back nine @ Augusta in 1986. I think to compare Tiger and Jack is tough, but I'd like to see Tiger come from BEHIND for once to win a major. I know that Tiger is setting a bunch of records and a lot of comparison between their two careers is based on major wins (because we all know that is the record Tiger wants). All of the majors that Tiger has won he has had at least a share of the lead going into the final round. Jack didn't always have that. If Tiger can win one or two majors by coming from behind on Sunday, I'd be willing to say that Tiger is better than Jack. But you can't argue that both are phenomenal athletes during the time that they played.

FT-5 Tour Driver (9.5* w/ Aldila SV-65 shaft)
Supersteel Burner Fairway Metal (15*)
Supersteel Burner (3-PW) Irons
SV Tour Wedges (50.10, 56.14)
DFX 9900 Putter tour i(x) balls

Voted for tiger. Just because I'm to young to remember watching jack..

So how can you make anything resembling a valid comparison? Posts like these really puzzle me. It's not as if there are no record books to read or even videos and films to see.

The greatest tournament that I ever watched was Jack's Sunday back nine @ Augusta in 1986. I think to compare Tiger and Jack is tough, but I'd like to see Tiger come from BEHIND for once to win a major. I know that Tiger is setting a bunch of records and a lot of comparison between their two careers is based on major wins (because we all know that is the record Tiger wants). All of the majors that Tiger has won he has had at least a share of the lead going into the final round. Jack didn't always have that. If Tiger can win one or two majors by coming from behind on Sunday, I'd be willing to say that Tiger is better than Jack. But you can't argue that both are phenomenal athletes during the time that they played.

+1

I would love to see Tiger go all out aggressive and win a major from behind. He's no way near as aggressive as he used to be back in 2000. If you ask Jack he says Tiger is the greatest golfer of all time. If you ask Tiger he says Jack is because he has won more majors. I'm going with Jack though.

So how can you make anything resembling a valid comparison?

LOL, why we all know that Tiger invented golf and golf was unknown before 1999. Who is this Jack guy you all talk about anyway?

Yes, I know the above is inept and obtuse, but to read many of these posts it seems few know of any golfers before Tiggy. As you can see you are not the only one puzzled by some of these posts. (lol again) I guess age is a detriment.

Tiger has rarely ever won from behind and it doesn't seem like he will start anytime soon. He's gotta go out and be aggressive first 2 rounds of any tournament for him to have a chance.

Why the overemphasis on coming from behind to win? Some horses start out great and then coast to a win, some save their energy for later. One can asks, why Jack started poorly and then neeeding to make a charge? Comparing winning percentage is much better? I still think Tiger is better because he has to be better than 50,000,000 golfers and Jack has to be better than only 15,000,000. It is just statistics. Walking up the the tee box, the chance of you beating one golfer is much better than the chance of you beating all three golfers.

Tiger has rarely ever won from behind and it doesn't seem like he will start anytime soon. He's gotta go out and be aggressive first 2 rounds of any tournament for him to have a chance.

Jack because hes from ohio and he was better with more competion

Callaway Big Bertha Diablo Driver
TaylorMade R9 3 Wood
Callaway FT-IZ 3 Hybrid
Callaway Big Bertha 3 irons- pitching wedge
Tommy Armour 56 degree Sand WedgeTitleist Bob Vokey 60 degree Lob WedgeRed Nike BagNike GloveNike/Titleist Pro-V1 golf balls

Why more competition back then with less people participating in the game? What you witnessed was probably a few individuals dominating because the competition wasn't that strong.

One thing every body can agree on is that as a game/sport matures, there is more competition and hence a smaller chance of a few individuals dominating. But we probably will never agree on this.
Jack because hes from ohio and he was better with more competion

I still think Tiger is better because he has to be better than 50,000,000 golfers and Jack has to be better than only 15,000,000. It is just statistics.

We went over this before. Tiger doesn't have to be better than 50M golfers. How does having maybe 20M more 15-handicappers in the world make it more difficult for Tiger to win than for Jack? Tiger only has to be better than the golfers who are capable of beating him, which number around 60-100, the same size as Jack's competition. There are reasons why Tiger might be better than Jack, but this isn't one of them.