IGNORED

Jack vs. Tiger: Who's the Greatest Golfer?

sungho_kr

Greatest Golfer (GOAT)  

218 members have voted

1. 1. Tiger or Jack: Who's the greatest golfer?

• Tiger Woods is the man
    • Jack Nicklaus is my favorite

I think that without Jack there may not have been a Tiger. From what I've heard and seen, Jack was a huge motivation for Tiger as a kid. We all know that Jack's major record is Tiger's goal. But even considering Jack's influence on Tiger, I would have to say Tiger is the man.

In my bag:

Driver: r7 460 9.5° Stiff
3 Wood: r7 Draw
5 Wood: r7 Draw Irons 4-AW: r7 CGB Wedge: rac Satin 54° Wedge: rac Satin 60° Putter: Daytona Sport 1 34" Ball: DT solo or NXT

Still too early to tell, but I would have to say that Tiger if he keeps his pace up there will be no question. It won't even be debatable. This generation has truly been blessed to be able to watch two of the greatest athletes ever in their prime (Michael Jordan and Tiger.

In the bag
Driver: Big Bertha 460
3W: Big Bertha
3 - SW X-18
Putter: oz

Ok, so as of January 3rd, 2007, Jack still holds the crown because of overall wins (82 to 61) and majors won (18 to 12). Im only 28 so i've grown up in the Tiger era, so the assumption is i'd say Tiger. No one in thier right minds can deny who Tiger is, where he stands, or what he's accomplished. Tiger, as it stands statistically, is a top 5 golfer of all time. Everyone is assuming that Tiger will eclipse Jack's numbers, and in the event he does, then we will have a real discussion on our hands.

It's too premature to judge who's better until you see their entire body of work. What if Michael would have stopped at his first retirement and winning only 3 championships? Jordan was considered the best at that moment, but what solidified him as the greatest were the additional 3 rings, 3 scoring titles, and 2 MVP's (post retirement number 1). Im a Chicagoan so i'm biased as all hell here, but if Jordan didnt accomplish the second 3 peat, there would be alot more discussion on who's the greatest. Magic Johnson? Larry Bird? Wilt? Bill Russell? Tim Duncan? Jordan cemented his G.O.A.T. status by eclipsing a slew of additional records and putting a stanglehold on the NBA for another 3 years. That's why he's the greatest...because he proved his championship status. Same thing is now being said of Tom Brady (albeit if he wins another Super Bowl). He has the records (touchdowns and undefeated season), but it will all go waste with no championships. Pete Sampras? Martina Navatralova? Pele? Same thing.

Point being...barring any forseeable injunction, Tiger is on path of demolishing all records in the forseeable future. 25 majors? 100 plus wins? It's all there for his taking, but it's going to take time. If and when the time comes, no one, not even Tiger himself, will be able to argue against him. So for the time being, Jack is still in the driver's seat of an old classic 67 Chevy strolling down the Pacific Coast with a high speed Ferrari on his tail :)

Nike VR S Covert Tour Driver 2.0, 8.5* S
Nike VR S Covert Tour 3-Wood (15*) S
Nike VR Forged Split Cavity (2-5)

Nike VR Forged TW Blades (6-PW)

Titleist Vokey SM4 54* Wedge

Nike VR X3X Wedge 58*

Nike Method Core 1 Putter

Titleist ProV1

"Hakuna Matata - It means no worries..."

I think Tiger will end up being the greatest without a doubt. However what I think is interesting is the survey results. WOULD have been WAY different if the question was asked 5-6 years ago. I remember talk of this years ago and the news and mag guys laughed at such a thing as someone breaking Jack's major record.

Driver: Taylor Made R7 SuperQuad TP X stiff
3 wood: Taylor Made Vsteel proforce X stiff
Hybrid: Taylor Made 19* TP Project X 6.5
4-AW: Taylor Made R7TP Project X 6.5
Wedges: 56,60 Taylor Made TP y cutterPutter: Taylor Made Rosa

Jack progressed faster, at 12 he was a 3 handicap, thats imence.

id rate them even, jack for old school, tiger for new!

TheMizunoMan
In My Bag ...

Driver - Mx-500 9.5 Regular Shaft.
Fairway Woods - 3 & 7 F-50 Reagular Shafts.
Irons - Mx-19 3-Sw Dynamic Gold Regular ShaftsBag - Aerolite 2Balls - , & Any I Find!Putter - C-Groove Tracy 2Grips - Golf Pride Mulit-Compound Blue GripsA Member Of Hunley Hall G.C.

Tough one as always right? The equipment is better for Tiger than Jack, but I think the fields are much tougher regularly for Tiger also. Think I'd lean to Jack until Tiger breaks some more records.

Blog: http://emergencynine.com/

In my bag you'll find lots of left-handed clubs like these:
Driver: G10 9* TFC (stock) S
3 wood: G5 Aldila NV SIrons 4 thru P: MX-20 TTDG RWedges: MP T Series Chrome, Forged - 52/56/60Putter: CallieBall: B330Bag (carry): Tour Stand; (cart): 9" Staff Tour

Its tough to choose "the greatest" between times like that with everything changing. With all the customization and "better" products today I think both in their prime Jack would come out on top.

Yup...I hear all the Jack stories from relatives and seen a bit of tape myself, and i'd LOVE to see what he could do with today's equipment in his prime...life just isn't fair sometimes :)

Blog: http://emergencynine.com/

In my bag you'll find lots of left-handed clubs like these:
Driver: G10 9* TFC (stock) S
3 wood: G5 Aldila NV SIrons 4 thru P: MX-20 TTDG RWedges: MP T Series Chrome, Forged - 52/56/60Putter: CallieBall: B330Bag (carry): Tour Stand; (cart): 9" Staff Tour

I would love to see Tiger play a round with the equipment from Jack's era! This would be sorta like the NBA playing games in the throwback uniforms. He's a great ball striker, but how would he play with blades that have a sweet spot the size of a dime (or smaller)?

tiger does play with blades and he hits his irons flush almost everytime. the main difference is the golf ball/driver. i would say though that the lengthening of the golf courses makes up for it. you stil have to have supreme touch regardless of equipment. overall i think tiger is stronger mentally that jack was. i wish both could have played together at their primes. talk about some exciting golf. they would own the tour lol

Nike SQ 9.5 w/ ProLaunch Red
Titliest 906F2 15
Miura 202 3-5 Irons
Miura Blade 6-PW Irons
Mizuno MP 51 & 56Yes! Tracy IINike One Black

Only time will tell....
Free Golf Score & Stat Tracker
----------------------------------------

Josh G. White
In My Bag:Driver: G5 standard stiff shaft3 & 5 Wood: V SteelIrons: 3100, 3-SWWedges: 588Putter: BladeBall: whatever I pull out of the bagWebsites:http://www.mobilegolfstats.comhttp://www.ridgeriding.comhttp://ww....