IGNORED

Jack vs. Tiger: Who's the Greatest Golfer?

sungho_kr

Greatest Golfer (GOAT)  

218 members have voted

1. 1. Tiger or Jack: Who's the greatest golfer?

• Tiger Woods is the man
    • Jack Nicklaus is my favorite

Older tech, but he wasnt playing people using modern day tech either. His competition had no edge over him, nor he over them. It is the same today.

In the Ogio Kingpin bag:

Titleist 913 D2 9.5* w/ UST Mamiya ATTAS 3 80 w/ Harrison Shotmaker & Billy Bobs afternarket Hosel Adaptor (get this if you don't have it for your 913)
Wilson Staff Ci-11 4-GW (4I is out of the bag for a hybrid, PW and up were replaced by Edel Wedges)
TaylorMade RBZ 5 & 3 Fairway Woods

Cobra Baffler T-Rail 3 & 4 Hybrids

Edel Forged 48, 52, 56, 60, and 64* wedges (different wedges for different courses)

Seemore Si-4 Black Nickel Putter

I have to vote for Tiger allthough I didn't watch golf when Jack was playing in his prime years. Nothing like watching Tiger makeing a 20 foot putt on the last hole.

My vote goes to Tiger. In my opinion he has harder competition and he kills them by a bigger margin. He basically has 20 years left to get Jack's record, so I think it's safe to say barring death.... he'll easily eclipse every record in golf.

:nike:Covert Tour

:wilson_staff: Fybrid RS 15*

Irons??

:tmade: Tour Preffered 54* & 60* w/ ATV grind

:rife: Trinidad Tropical

Well the records today say Jack is the greatest,but Tiger is closing in fast,If only Jack was in his prime today,with all the advances in equipment,we would sure have a real treat to watch them battle it out each week...

In my Sport II cart bag or my R9 stand bag
Irons-Tour burner R/5-Sw,60 lob wedge z groove
Driver-R9 Supertri R/10.5
09 Hybrid #3 R/19
09 Hybrid #4 R/22Putter-Method 001,Length : 34 Ball-Those round white ones...

The overall level of competition is better today, hands down, but the competition at the top was greater in Jack's day. If we match Tiger with Jack, which of today's players do we match with Arnold Palmer, Gary Player, Lee Trevino, Tom Watson, Billy Casper? Tiger has won all of his majors for two reason: (1) he's really good, and (2) he's playing in a era where there's no one who can or will challenge him. Transplant him to the 60s and I'd give him six majors, tops.

The overall level of competition is better today, hands down, but the competition at the top was greater in Jack's day. If we match Tiger with Jack, which of today's players do we match with Arnold Palmer, Gary Player, Lee Trevino, Tom Watson, Billy Casper? Tiger has won all of his majors for two reason: (1) he's really good, and (2) he's playing in a era where there's no one who can or will challenge him. Transplant him to the 60s and I'd give him six majors, tops.

Yet Nicklaus has already said in an interview, that theres guys today who dont even qualify for the PGA who could have won Majors in his era. I watched it this weekend sometime, I think it was on Greygoose 19th hole. I was pretty suprised by his answer.

In the Ogio Kingpin bag:

Titleist 913 D2 9.5* w/ UST Mamiya ATTAS 3 80 w/ Harrison Shotmaker & Billy Bobs afternarket Hosel Adaptor (get this if you don't have it for your 913)
Wilson Staff Ci-11 4-GW (4I is out of the bag for a hybrid, PW and up were replaced by Edel Wedges)

Edel Forged 48, 52, 56, 60, and 64* wedges (different wedges for different courses)

I agree with a lot of this. I would give him more than 6, though. I would still put him right in there with Jack. As many have said it is difficult to compare different eras because there are so many variables. Tiger is a more of a shotmaker than many of his contemporaries and he frequently practices with persimmon. So Tiger has a lot of old school skills that are adapted to modern equipment. Another thing about Jack is he played in 3 different eras--he is 10 years younger than Arnie and 10 years older than Watson, so he played and beat the "old guard", his contemporaries, and the "young guns" of his day. I think if you could beam Tiger from 1997 back to 1962 keeping all his skills,opportunities, and development the same, he and Jack would be nip and tuck and the other players would have a few less. Jack would also have a few less and Tiger would have a few less and they would have taken some from each other.

I am surprized that the poll results are so tilted toward Tiger--about 3-1. I voted for Jack but when Tiger reaches 19 professional majors, I would pass the trophy, because that is the standard THEY have.

Don

In the bag:

Driver: PING 410 Plus 9 degrees, Alta CB55 S  Fairway: Callaway Rogue 3W PX Even Flow Blue 6.0; Hybrid: Titleist 818H1 21* PX Even Flow Blue 6.0;  Irons: Titleist 718 AP1 5-W2(53*) Shafts- TT AMT Red S300 ; Wedges Vokey SM8 56-10D Putter: Scotty Cameron 2016 Newport 2.5  Ball: Titleist AVX or 2021 ProV1

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

I agree with a lot of this. I would give him more than 6, though. I would still put him right in there with Jack. As many have said it is difficult to compare different eras because there are so many variables. Tiger is a more of a shotmaker than many of his contemporaries and he frequently practices with persimmon. So Tiger has a lot of old school skills that are adapted to modern equipment. Another thing about Jack is he played in 3 different eras--he is 10 years younger than Arnie and 10 years older than Watson, so he played and beat the "old guard", his contemporaries, and the "young guns" of his day. I think if you could beam Tiger from 1997 back to 1962 keeping all his skills,opportunities, and development the same, he and Jack would be nip and tuck and the other players would have a few less. Jack would also have a few less and Tiger would have a few less and they would have taken some from each other.

But thats the thing, it really isnt a standard. Nicklaus was a great player, nobody doubts that. But Tiger is a much better athlete, and in much better shape.

Tiger in his prime, imo, is without question, better than Nicklaus was. He swings faster, cleaner, and hit further. His putting is second to none. He plays on much longer courses, and plays a smarter game. Athletes get far better as time goes on, as sports sciences have come a long, long way since the 60's. There are many players who have a better game than Nicklaus today, and the competition is much better. Nicklaus in his prime, honestly probably wouldnt make cuts today. And even Jack admits to this, as I said in a post above. Nicklaus is a legend, and by far the best of his era, that much we know. But Tiger is playing in a different world, with a different caliber of golfers. It doesnt take away from Nicklaus's accomplishments, but I still believe Tiger is a far better golfer. Im not even a huge Tiger fan, but theres no ignoring his talent, and what he's done for the game. Given a career as long as Nicklaus, Tiger will shatter every record in golf, its a given.

In the Ogio Kingpin bag:

Watch out for tiger he has something to prove

White Hot Tour #1
Vokey Oil Can 60.4
DCI 990 3-PW
Anser Phoenix 020
Tour 56.14 Cimerron 3-PW Edge CFT Hybrid 24 SasQuatch Sumo 9.5

I watched a show about Jack's design business, he flew around the world checking on some of his construction sites. After he tended to business he went fishing. After Arnold finishes with his business of the day he goes golfing. I hope Tiger will be like Arnold and play for the love of the game, I don't think Jack did.

Current Bag
Ogio Synchro cart
'07 Burner Driver, 3 Fairway, and Rescue 5
Early Titelist Cavities
200 56, Spin milled 60 , Rossa  Suzuka

I watched a show about Jack's design business, he flew around the world checking on some of his construction sites. After he tended to business he went fishing. After Arnold finishes with his business of the day he goes golfing. I hope Tiger will be like Arnold and play for the love of the game, I don't think Jack did.

Honestly, I see it a little different.

Nicklaus, like many athletes, get depressed playing a game they love, when they are no longer playing to what they consider their own standards. We see this a lot in all kinds of sports. To go from the best in the world, to the best in your 70+ age group really isnt that easy for men like Nicklaus. Its quite possible that Palmer doesnt suffer from that problem, as not all athletes do. But its more common than you think. Its the same reason Barkley wont play BBall (golf is another story, haha) in front of fans, because he's a shadow of his former self, and feels both depressed and embarrassed on the courts nowadays. Its quite possible Tiger wont be able to take the pressure he puts on himself when a good score on a good day, is 75. Theres a lot of sport psychology books on this topic actually.

In the Ogio Kingpin bag:

Tiger has some issues and injuries to deal with before he becomes the greatest. His ACL and his torn achilles may give him major issues down the road.
WITB
Driver: FT-5 Diamana Whiteboard
3WD: Steelhead
3&4 Hybrid
5-PW AP2 PX 6.0 Rifle 52-8, 56-8, 60-8 Black Series #6 (34inches)

There is no perfect way to compare any 2 athletes from different times. Differences in equipment, training and even nutrition change the base line needed for comparison.
The closest method of comparison is not who won what, or who acted how in private. We need to look at stats like fairways hit, greens in regulation, sand saves etc.
From there average rounds can be compared, not perfect but probably closest.
I just hope enough statistical information is still around from Jack's earliest rounds to put together a definitive average.