IGNORED

Jack vs. Tiger: Who's the Greatest Golfer?

sungho_kr

Greatest Golfer (GOAT)  

220 members have voted

1. 1. Tiger or Jack: Who's the greatest golfer?

• Tiger Woods is the man
    • Jack Nicklaus is my favorite

I agree completley.

the greens and courses are completely different nowadays for the most part (greens especially, youd putt balls off the green with that pop stroke)

the greens and courses are completely different nowadays for the most part (greens especially, youd putt balls off the green with that pop stroke)

I'd still say even on nearly impossible courses like Oakmont, w/the new technology, Jack would cream Tiger.

In My Bag :

Driver : HiBore XL
3 Wood : Launcher Gold
Hybrid : 3i Halo 22*Irons : CG4 4-PWWedges : 588 DSG RTG 52* CG11 56* / 60*Putter : GM Exchange2 #4Ball : Z-URS

Jack's "Pop" stroke sure worked pretty good in 1986 at Augusta and I'll bet you a Million Dollars the stimp meter rating wasn't far off from what it was this year in 2007! Smokey the Bear: Think,,,Before You Post!!!

In My Bag:
Driver: :Cobra Amp Cell Pro 9.5*, Stock X-Flex

3 Wood: :Cobra Bio Cell 16*, Stock X-Flex

5 Wood: Cobra Bio Cell 20*, Stock S-Flex
Irons: Bridgestone J40-CB 3-PW, Project-X 6.0

Gap Wedge::Vokey: 52* CNC  

Sand Wedge: :Vokey: 58* CNC  

Putters: Scotty Cameron Newport II 

Ball: Bridgestone 330-S(2014)

I think Tiger has done a great job in terms of attracting more younger people to the sport and also opening it up to a wider audience. Golf wise i dont think you can really say which was actually the better golfer or not.

I'd have to say Jack at this point becasue he ran the full gauntlet of a career and has the win record to back "the greatest" status. Now, Tiger certainly appears to have the ability to pass Jack on the win board. But only time will tell that. It's kinda like Babe Ruth vs. Hank Aaron vs. Barry Bonds.......different times and different technologies will always lead to debate. To me the only way to not debate is to go with the "greatest of his time". But, as I sit here on June the 20th 2007 I gotta go with Jack because he "been there, done that". Tiger's still in the middle of his career and alot can happen over the next several years.

I've got to go with Tiger...he's athletic, focused and an incredible competitor. Jack is "The Man" if you look at the old days when golfer's putted with a smoke in their mouths.

Wasn't that pop stroke ridiculous! Funny stuff! Tiger in a landslide.

Having seen Jack in his prime I recall his mental toughness much like Tiger's.

It's a tough pick.

I think that history will have to play out more until its can be decided but there's always that possibility that this topic will be debated for a long time after Tiger's career is over.

Fun fact: Nicklaus finished 6th at the Masters in 1998 at age 58.

Tiger: Not for his Golfing ability (which still is unreal) but for his actions towards the game of golf; making it exciting, getting younger people to play, his morals, and helping stop racism in golf

I'd have to agree, I think of Tiger Woods more as Tiger the "idea" than the person. While I'm an admitted newbie who doesn't know much about the games history...I can say that from my perspective Tiger has done more for the game of golf than any other player in popculture. I think what's important here is that we look at how the general public views golf and not just the niche of super-fanatics we have here. Tiger turned golf (from a general-public members perspective) from a borring slow paced game that was used as filler on cable TV on weekends to a prime-time, fast paced sport that is accessible to all people regardless of social background. Golf is now a primtime sport, it's on the TV at the ESPN zone. I'll put it to you this way, ask a non-basketball fan who Michael Jordan is....good chance they will know. Ask a non golf-fan who Jack is....you'll probably get a puzzled look, now ask them who Tiger Woods is...exactly.

-AJ

I prefer Tiger, simply because I've been exposed to him so much more. Both these guys are game-changing fellows, they really transcend the game of golf and are amazing in their own ways.
WITB

Callaway FT-5 11°
Callaway X-HOT 15°
Sonartec HB-001 19° & 23°Callaway X-22 5-PWTitleist Vokey 200 Series 52°Titleist Vokey Spin Milled 56°Titleist Vokey Special Grind 60°Scotty Cameron Mizuno M-100

Jack... Just b/c he was my dad's favorite. I am actually a big Tiger fan.

"You're not good enough to get mad. Enjoy the round." Arnold Palmer to Jim Leyland.

Driver: Taylormade r5 80 10.5
Irons: Taylormade RAC OS 3-PW True temper reg flex
Hybrid: Nike Rescue 18* graphite stiff flexWedge: Taylormade RAC 56* satinWedge: Cleveland Tour Action 60*Putter: Odyssey White...

I'm going to have to go with Jack. But I think in time it will be Tiger. Just give him a few more years.

Hi-Bore XLS Tour Driver
Steelhead III: 3 Wood
Bobby Jones Jesse Ortiz Hybrid
i3+: 3-9 Irons
Vokey Black Nickel: PW, 52, 56, 60 Bettinardi A-02 Putter NXT Tour

I'm like many others here who haven't had the privilege to witness Jack in his prime time. I also agree that it is too early to tell who is actually best since Tiger is still many years out of retirement, so I'm neutral at the moment.

However, i must say, the reason why I started playing golf (and am now thoroughly diagnosed as an addict) is because of Tiger Woods's seemingly stupid little video game for the Playstation2. If it weren't for my friends and I playing that game religiously, i probably wouldn't have started playing real golf for another few years at least.

Very much in the same way i wouldn't have started taking my sports car to enthusiastically drive on various road racing tracks if the Gran Turismo racing series for PS2 never entered my life. See, video games can be positive thing!!!

Thank you Tiger Woods, Electronic Arts, and Sony for helping me pick probably the 2 most expensive hobbies that exist!!!

R7 Superquad 10.5* REAX regular flex shaft
FT 5 wood
675XC forged irons 3-PW, True Temper DG SL stiff(S300) shafts
55* BeCu sandwedge
e6+ balls or ProV1
Cougar X-cat putter (odyssey 2-ball rip-off)

Considering Tiger's knee issues and the fact that his swing relies so heavily on athleticism, will he still be around at 50+? I wonder....