IGNORED

Jack vs. Tiger: Who's the Greatest Golfer?

sungho_kr

Greatest Golfer (GOAT)  

218 members have voted

1. 1. Tiger or Jack: Who's the greatest golfer?

• Tiger Woods is the man
    • Jack Nicklaus is my favorite

I grew up in the Jack Era.. He is GREAT!

TIGER is Better (actually, I think he may be a witch... what else can explain how he seems to never miss a clutch putt? It has to be witchcraft)

Snowman0157

Have to say that Tiger is the man. Wasn't around to see Jack so I guess I'm just going off of what I've seen.

HookEmHorns

In my 14 Xtreme bag:

Driver Burner 10.5*3 Wood Rawlings 15*5 Wood Ignite 19*Irons S2 Max 4-GWPutter Rossa Corza Ghost 35" Next to be replaced: 3 wood. All Rawlings junk has got to go. haha

I think it is clear that Tiger is the greatest of all time and we are simply watching it happen. I feel like Jack really despises the fact that Tiger will almost definetly pass his major record.

My Bag 
Driver:         905R 9.5* Dyamana Whiteboard

3W:            909F2 15.5* Diamana Blueboard

Utility:          Idea Pro Black 18*

Irons 3-PW: 690MB Project X 6.0

Wedges:     Vokey Spin Milled 50*/Vokey Spin Milled 58*

Putter:        Studio Select Newport 1.5

Tiger. Jack was great in his field, though Tiger is better against better players.
What's In My Stand Bag...
Driver: R9 TP 9.5*
3W: R9 15*
Hybrid: Rescue Dual TP 2H 16*
Irons 3-P: MP-62Wedges: Vokey 52* & 58*Putter: 34" Newport StudioBall: Pro V1x

To answer this you have to go with what Tiger has done right now. If he never hit another golf ball. Using that criteria you almost have to go with Jack.

People who question whether Jack had tougher competition just don't know their golf history. He absolutely had tougher competition.

In ten years I will probably change my answer to Tiger...but not yet.

x18 S-4
Lob wedge
Hybore 3 wood
R7 Driver
Shark Head putter (love that old thing)

Until Tiger can prove himself and pass Jacks statical wins etc. It is Jack.

Jack didn't have the convenience of new technology either.

However, I think it is inevitable that Tiger will surpass Jack.

Quote from Rory McIlroy's March 11th A Bear Hug for Me Blog talking about Jack :

"It was just amazing to meet the best player of all time at the present moment in the parking lot at the Mall so that was a good start to the week and we definitely thought it was a good omen."

I tend to agree.

Callaway X-Hot Tour GD Tour AD DI-7 Sonartec SS-3.5 16* FTP-X Adams Idea Super S 19* Matrix Kujoh
Bridgestone J33B DG X100 Mizuno MP 53*6 Mizuno MP 56*10 WRX Sq. Gr. GTO Ported
Mizuno MP 60*6 WRX Sq. Gr. GTO Ported Odyssey White Hot Tour #5 Callaway Tourix

GHIN: 10436305

If Tiger comes back from his knee injury and is as dominating as he was in the last few years I think he'll not only be the best golfer ever but possibly one of the world's greatest athletes.

• Administrator
Jack didn't have the convenience of new technology either.

Yeah, neither did Jack's competitors.

Erik J. Barzeski —  I knock a ball. It goes in a gopher hole. 🏌🏼‍♂️
Director of Instruction Golf Evolution • Owner, The Sand Trap .com • AuthorLowest Score Wins
Golf Digest "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17 & "Best in State" 2017-20 • WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019 :edel: :true_linkswear:

Check Out: New Topics | TST Blog | Golf Terms | Instructional Content | Analyzr | LSW | Instructional Droplets

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

Barring injury I think Tiger will hold most of the records. Whether that makes him the greatest I don't know. What a battle Royal it would be to see those two go at each other in their prime (that's assuming Tiger is in his prime?)

I grew up watching Jack in his prime as he took over from Arnold Palmer who was a great golfer. I watch Tiger and believe that someday his accomplishments will exceed Jack's. But the technology is different and the training is entirely different.

I don't think that the two can be easily compared when you take into account the differences in time that each played the game. Both are great golfers but in entirely different generations.