IGNORED

Lessons v. Self Taught

Big_M
Note: This thread is 5469 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

I see so many threads with 30 cappers asking about a club and people saying "go get a lesson instead, you are terrible at golf and no club will help you until you improve."

Does anyone just learn the game of golf these days the way I did... read books and practice (now I also use a video camera). I think that there is a lot to be said for teaching one's self. In the end you might come away with greater understanding... then again you might totally misapply everything you read.

I'm just opening up this thread for a little discussion about why everyone thinks you MUST take lessons, and if anyone else agrees that teaching yourself is possible, and could be a good thing.
My Clubs: Callaway FT-i Tour LCG 9.5° w/ Matrix Ozik Xcon 6 stiff; Sonartec GS Tour 14° w/ Graphite Design Red Ice 70 stiff; Adams Idea Pro 2h(18°) & 3h(20°) w/ Aldila VS Proto 80 stiff; Adams Idea Pro Forged 4-PW w/ TT Black Gold stiff; Cleveland CG12 DSG RTG 52°-10° & 58°-10°; Odyssey...

I see so many threads with 30 cappers asking about a club and people saying "go get a lesson instead, you are terrible at golf and no club will help you until you improve."

Must take lessons? Heck no, but why beat your head against a wall trying to learn something by trial and error when there are talented people out there to help you along the way? I've never had a lesson, in almost 40 years of playing the silly game. I've played down to as low as a 2.8.......imagine what I could do if I actually knew what I was doing!

In David's bag....

Driver: Titleist 910 D-3;  9.5* Diamana Kai'li
3-Wood: Titleist 910F;  15* Diamana Kai'li
Hybrids: Titleist 910H 19* and 21* Diamana Kai'li
Irons: Titleist 695cb 5-Pw

Wedges: Scratch 51-11 TNC grind, Vokey SM-5's;  56-14 F grind and 60-11 K grind
Putter: Scotty Cameron Kombi S
Ball: ProV1

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

Must take lessons? Heck no, but why beat your head against a wall trying to learn something by trial and error when there are talented people out there to help you along the way?

I would rather spend the money on practicing, playing, and equipment while beating my head in then spending it on lessons.

DBake
Titleist 909D3 10.5* Tour Green 89 Stiff
Titleist 906F2 15* v2 85 Stiff
Mizuno MP-30 2-PW S300
Mizuno MP-R 52* & 59*Scotty Cameron Studio Design 1.5Titleist Pro V1Leupold GX-1The Home Course (75.7/130)

I think it depends on where you want to go with your game and how dedicated you are to getting there. If you want to become awesome you'll probably need lessons. Getting lessons early on is also useful. Not just once, but spend some money on lessons over some weeks when you first start and you may avoid many of the most frequent errors.

I am almost entirely self taught. I had two lessons once I started, but never took any more for years and played the next years on feel without having a clue what I did wrong. Since then I've had two lessons, but neither gave me any explanation to what my problems were. They tried instead to force me to get the club to a spot which it didn't want to go. I was trying to fix the problem without looking at the cause.

The last few months I've read a lot and used a high-speed video camera to film my swing. This, along with learning how to read a shot from the flight of the ball has lifted my game very much. I'm still learning my body to these changes, but the results are definately there. Last year I couldn't hit any iron below 5 to save my life. My 7 iron also often went as far as my 5 iron. Today I can even hit my 3 iron somewhat reasonable.

I've turned a slice into a occasional pull or hook and is in better control of my swing than I have ever been. All as a result of reading and using video footage as feedback.

The thing is to practice correct. Practicing the wrong way may change your swing, but can do more damage than good. If you don't have the knowledge or want to dive deep enough into the swing to work on it yourself, you may be better off taking lessons.
As I mentioned, I wasn't happy with the pros I've had lessons with. At the time I didn't know what they tried to teach me or what caused it, but today I know that they never mentioned anything about the cause of my problem, or any tip as how to correct it. This has made me sceptical about lessons. I have limited number of pros around me, some of them don't even play golf and in my opinion doesn't commit to the lesson like I expect them to.

The problem here is finding a pro which you can trust and work with. The chances are good you don't know what's right and wrong about your swing when taking a lesson, so you have very little to judge the pro from.

It is also possible to think you know better than a pro and avoid lessons because of it. I certainly think I know a lot about my swing, but I don't know if I'm right about it all. I still know that I'm making good progress. I will probably take a lesson or two later this season to get some thoughts on my swing, but I love working on it on my own, I don't mind doing it this way.

I still suggest lessons for any player that struggle with problems they don't know the cause of, simply to avoid trying 100 different fixes they found in magazines and online. Ask how to fix a slice in this forum and you will definately get many different suggestions. The secret is to know which suggestions to take into consideration and which you discard.
The golf swing is pretty simple, but learning it is very difficult.

So, I suggest anyone get lessons, it will most likely help them better than a video camera, but from personal experience I will never claim that nobody can get very good on their own. I got a friend which is at hcp 10, he has had two lessons in his life and never used a video camera. He has been playing and practicing a lot with another friend, probably helping eachother, but it still impress me. If you manage to get consistent and closing in on single digit hcp, chances are good your swing is not terrible and that minor changes can be enough. I think someone new to golf or with a high handicap will benefit more from a lesson than someone within hcp 15. Most will benefit in some way, but I believe, the worse you play, the more you need it.

Ogio Grom | Callaway X Hot Pro | Callaway X-Utility 3i | Mizuno MX-700 23º | Titleist Vokey SM 52.08, 58.12 | Mizuno MX-700 15º | Titleist 910 D2 9,5º | Scotty Cameron Newport 2 | Titleist Pro V1x and Taylormade Penta | Leupold GX-1

My dad and myself read every single book we can find and help each other out while on the course, or while practicing in the back yard. We are by no means experts but we know the basics of a swing and can tell each other what we are doing wrong. He had a free evalution at golfsmith on a demo day and the guy said his swing was near perfect except for his grip so I guess we're doing something right.

In my Extreme Sport Stand Bag
Driver: 4DX D-Spec Driver 10.5* Stiff UST SR3
3W: F-60 15* Regular Fujikura E150 Fit-On
Hybrids: 4DX Ironwoods 20* 23* Regular UST SR3
Irons: 4DX CB 5-PW Stiff True Temper ST-90Wedges: Vokey 50* 56*Putter: SabertoothBall: DT Roll

I don't think lessons are needed. I played for 15 years with no lessons and was about a 12 handicap. I taught myself a pretty good and repeatable swing. I decided to get lessons because I just couldn't get below a 12. The lessons went very well and he only made some minor adjustments in my swing. The best thing he taught me was a good pre-shot routine and helped me with my aiming. I was a decent golfer prior to lessons but I would call myself a good golfer after lessons. I went down to an 8 handicap after the lessons and then I hurt my back. 5 years later and I'm just returning to the game. Lessons are not needed but they certainly don't hurt IMO.

You can teach yourself how to do anything: checkers, golf, calculus, or even brain surgery. However, it's much easier (and probably more effective) to be taught how by someone who knows what he or she is doing. Taking lessons with a teaching pro should speed up the process of getting a "good" swing.

I've taken one lesson and I plan on taking many more (if this guy ever calls me back!). I tried to teach myself how to swing, but IMO it's better to learn from someone whose job it is to teach.

In my Ogio Ozone Bag:
TM Superquad 9.5* UST Proforce 77g Stiff
15* Sonartec SS-2.5 (Pershing stiff)
19* TM Burner (stock stiff)
4-U - PING i10 White dot, +1.25 inches, ZZ65 stiff shafts55*/11* Snake Eyes Form Forged (DGS300)60*/12* Snake Eyes Form Forged (DGS300)Ping i10 1/2 MoonTitleist ProV1

It's a gamble if you teach yourself, unless you have a natural talent for swinging. I tried learning on my own and found in rushing to hit balls well I skipped over learning solid fundamentals. I eventually came up with a decent swing but it was somewhat disconnected, raising my arms too high above my head. I used up power trying to get the ball lowered back down on the right plane consistently.

Funny thing was that I could make decent contact most of the time with the ball. But my disconnected swing also resulted in a push with the long clubs and a slice with the driver that I could not shake without taking lessons.

Having a video camera is essential if you teach yourself, since it saves time having to "feel" out the problem and also points out issues you may not have realized you were causing. Just the other night I found the cause of my shanking issue through film, and would have never realized it if I hadn't seen the replay

2011 Goals:
* Improve club-head speed to 90 mph with the driver
* Ensure increased speed does not compromise accuracy
* Prevent overextending on the back-swing (left-arm is bending too much at the top)
* Relax arms initially at address ( too tense)* Play more full rounds (failed from 2010)

I think its important to see a coach is your serious about getting better. Sure it helps to read books/articles on a swing, but its important for a pro to diagnose your swing, and what you need to improve on. Everyone's swing is different, so its important to identify your own strengths and weaknesses. This is something a book or magazine cannot teach you.

You can teach yourself how to do anything: checkers, golf, calculus, or even brain surgery. However, it's much easier (and probably more effective) to be taught how by someone who knows what he or she is doing. Taking lessons with a teaching pro should speed up the process of getting a "good" swing.

If the guy is not calling you back, it means he must not want your buisness. Go to another guy...i have been through my fair share of teachers who have not cared about improving my game.

It depends on the golfer. For me, I played baseball for many years. The mechanics and principles of hitting a golf ball are almost identical to hitting a baseball: swing down and through the ball, weight on back foot, push off with back foot and full hip rotation, get hands through, etc. It made it easier for me to understand the golf swing.

The one detriment to my swing is hand placement. With a bat, it really did not matter as I was consistent in getting my hands through the hitting zone. With golf, it's not that simple as the ball does not move. Therefore, I need some assistance from a professional. I just not have had the time to work with someone, consistently.

Titleist 905T Accra SC75 M4 Shaft

Nike SQ 4W Accra T70 M4 Shaft
HB001 17* Hybrid with Mitsubishi Diamana Thump X Stiff Flex
Baffler Pro 20* Accra Axiv 105 Tour Hybrid Shaft

Taylor Made 24* Burner Accra Axiv 105 Tour Hybrid Shaft

Mizuno MP-32 5-PW Black Oxide Finish Project X 6.0 Shafts

Vokey 52* Oil Can Finish TTDG S400 Shaft

Cleveland 588 60* TTDG S400 Shaft

Rife Bimini Blade Putter

Ball-White and Round

The last lesson I had was in junior golf. That was probably 22 years ago.

I'm a D.I.Y.-er in everything I do.

driver: FT-i tlcg 9.5˚ (Matrix Ozik XCONN Stiff)
4 wood: G10 (ProLaunch Red FW stiff)
3 -PW: :Titleist: 695 mb (Rifle flighted 6.0)
wedges:, 52˚, 56˚, 60˚
putter: Studio Select Newport 1.5

For myself, I started relatively young at age 9 and I have never taken a lesson for many reasons. Through pure drive and determination I worked my way down to a scratch player in my 20's and early 30's. I guess you could say I did it the hard way!

When my 11 year old son started showing interest in the game at age 4, I put him in some Junior clinics. Since about age 8 he has been taught by our local pro who is fantastic with children. He is definitely farther along in his swing and ballstriking than I was at age 11.

I think starting young makes a big difference whether you take lessons or not, but if you add in lessons at a young age you really have the oppertunity to advance!

If I were older and just now taking up the game I think I would take lessons because it will help speed up the learning process. Of course you have to be dedicated and put in the work if your going to get any better regardless of when or how you start.

In My Bag:
Driver: :Cobra Amp Cell Pro 9.5*, Stock X-Flex

3 Wood: :Cobra Bio Cell 16*, Stock X-Flex

5 Wood: Cobra Bio Cell 20*, Stock S-Flex
Irons: Bridgestone J40-CB 3-PW, Project-X 6.0

Gap Wedge::Vokey: 52* CNC  

Sand Wedge: :Vokey: 58* CNC  

Putters: Scotty Cameron Newport II 

Ball: Bridgestone 330-S(2014)

I never had a lesson in my life until recently.

All the guy told me was to put the ball a little more left in my stance and he charged me 60$ for that.

Won't ever take a lesson again.

Golf is a game in which the ball always lies poorly and the player always lies well.

I think it is much easier to learn the game on your own now. You can go on youtube and find a plethora of videos on how to swing a golf club. Some are quite good. I have really learned the ins and out of a golf swing through watching all the lessons on the internet.

I have totally changed my swing over the last three months on my own. I am sure I would be farther along if I took lessons from the right instructor . I think that is key. It is not easy to find a good pro who has an eye for swing flaws.

I have taken two lessons (both won in tournaments) and didn't get much out of either of them. I would love to regularly play around the high 70s or low 80s. I think lessons really help you go from good golfer to great golfer. To go from bad to average or average to good can be done on your own.

x18 S-4
Lob wedge
Hybore 3 wood
R7 Driver
Shark Head putter (love that old thing)

i think it all depends on the student AND the teacher...
i know guys that have been playing forever and refuse to take a lesson no matter how bad they are... to tell you the truth... i doubt they'd get better with lessons anyway...
i know guys that are incredible players that have never taken lessons... just natural athletic abilities...
then ive known guys that were high hcp's and dedicated themselves to lessons and are now single digit hcp's...
i think the right kinda student paired with the right kind of instructor will do wonders... regardless if the student and teacher are the same person... or if its just a willing learner and a great/understanding swing coach
RUSS's avg drive - 230yrds and climbing

I was self taught for the most part, my dad taught me my grip, stance, and the basics

when I was a kid. But when I took up golf again as an adult I went from a 18 handicap to scratch without anyone's help. As of late though I have enlisted the help of a teaching pro because I believe I have hit a plateau and can no longer improve without some help. The only problem I see with being completely self taught is I believe it limits how much you can improve. I know now I need that extra set of eyes as just a couple of lessons has improved my ballstriking immensely.

Danny    In my :ping: Hoofer Tour golf bag on my :clicgear: 8.0 Cart

Driver:   :pxg: 0311 Gen 5  X-Stiff.                        Irons:  :callaway: 4-PW APEX TCB Irons 
3 Wood: :callaway: Mavrik SZ Rogue X-Stiff                            Nippon Pro Modus 130 X-Stiff
3 Hybrid: :callaway: Mavrik Pro KBS Tour Proto X   Wedges: :vokey:  50°, 54°, 60° 
Putter: :odyssey:  2-Ball Ten Arm Lock        Ball: :titleist: ProV 1

The way I see it, golf is a whole learning process. You will learn some from instruction, some on your own. I am always learning something new about the golf swing. Sometimes it's just an "aha!" moment when something clicks. Other times it's from an instructor who can see something in what you do that he can correct and help you out. If you never get any instruction, a different point of view, you are missing out on alot. If you're self taught and you're scratch or better then more power to you. I have yet to meet anyone who is self taught that couldn't learn something to help them from a qualified teacher. When I was first learning the game as a youth I was at the library and I accidentally came upon a book by Gary Player. Couldn't tell you the name. I ended up reading it and I learned so much. And although I put some of the things I read to good use, it wasn't until I had a lesson that it started to click. Instruction is good.

Note: This thread is 5469 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!